• Lookbook: Sweater Dress + Simples

sweatersimple9

Crewcuts Mohair Dress sz 10,  Theory blazer sz 00 (similar),  thrifted Talbots belt
    CL Simple 85 Pumps in metal rouge, Sparkling Sage necklace (not worth full price), Talbots earrings

This cozy sweater dress was my favorite find from J.Crew’s final sale. I would’ve loved a longer length, but my search for sz 12 came up empty.  I paired the heathered knit against a classic black blazer, and broke up the gloomy color scheme with rich jewel-toned accessories.

sweatersimple8
    These “ruby slippers” are a recent addition to my shoe family. They’re metallic rouge patent from a few seasons ago, and the heel height is a lower, comfortable 85mm (mine measure 3.25″). They were a random store return and marked down quite a bit. I can’t thank Elle enough for the sale alert! Since I’m trying hard not to hoard, my Elisa 100’s in a similar color have already been sent to a new home where I hope they will get lots of love.

Trying to stay warm in: J.Crew Lady Day Coat (2010), leather gloves from Mom, Goyard tote, H&M; tights

sweatersimple7

Continue reading for more photos…

I struggle with styling my difficult hair, so I was very happy to see Wendy’s braided bun tutorial. See her original look here. Since I just got my hair cut into short layers, my braid was very small with lots of stray pieces. I used my trusty bumpit and spin pins to get more volume at the crown and to secure the final bun.

sweatersimple4
    sweatersimple3
    sweatersimple11
    I had an appointment that day at 9tailors, a Boston clothing company specializing in custom-designed, made-to-fit dress shirts and suits. I chatted with the founder, Sam, who (at 5 feet tall) understands the importance and challenge of finding well-fitting clothing. We flipped through pattern books and fabric samples, and I’ll be returning soon to learn more about their women’s offerings. If any readers have tried 9tailors, I’d love to hear about your experience.
    sweatersimple1

Imagine a custom blazer in lovely colored wool…sweatersimple

Nick and I wrapped up our day at Marliave, a French-American place in downtown Boston. I’m usually very indifferent about restaurant food, but I absolutely loved the “Sunday Gravy” pasta (requested linguini instead of gnocchi). It was fresh, whole tomatoes stewed with beef, lamb, and pork until creamy, served over house-made pasta. This place prides itself in using fresh & local ingredients (yada yada), but I could actually taste it in this dish. I killed it!
    sweatersimple10

PS – Marliave has dollar oysters every day from 4-6PM and 9-10PM : )

63 thoughts on “Lookbook: Sweater Dress + Simples

• Girlie Blogger January 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Wow. Great look. I like the sweater and blazer combo.

• SewPetiteGal January 16, 2012 at 11:16 pm

The ruby reds paired with the blacks add such an elegant touch! I have not yet mastered my hair yet with any tutorials (not the tutorial's fault – I am THAT bad with hair) but hope to someday 🙂 LOL about "killing" your pasta. You have me wondering how I can make a gravy pasta at home…

• Christine Hopkins January 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

gorgeous outfit! very well styled 🙂

xx christine

seoulandpfassion.blogspot.com

• grace January 17, 2012 at 11:12 am

LOVE everything about this outfit! =) You look so classy and sophisticated. I think my hair is much worse – I have strays everywhere, little fluffs on the tops, the sides, needless to say I hate it 😛 I think your hair looks wonderful, despite your saying you have difficult hair.

• With Each Passing Day January 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Love the way you styled the sweater dress. Would have never known the sweater dress is a child size if you didn't mention it. This hair style is my favorite. the hair style is very sophisticated. I'm bum that the Asian bump it didn't work for me. On the search for a new tool.

• xJOLE January 17, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Love the marled look of the dress.

• Kim January 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I love your dress! You always look so chic. =)

BTW, if you're still looking for boots that are good for thin calves, you might want to try these:

I just received mine today. I have 13.5in-14in calves and these were quite snug on me.

• Amy January 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I love this outfit! And I always love your pictures 🙂

• Fashionable Memories January 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm

You look gorgeous here!!!

• Jagiri January 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I love this look so much that I pinned it so I can try to dress like this myself
      ididtellyou.blogspot.com

• becka January 21, 2012 at 1:55 am

Gorgeous outfit! Plus, I love how the backgrounds of your photos always compliment your outfit. Beautiful!

• Urban Jungle Fashion January 23, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Fantastic Style

• Anonymous February 21, 2012 at 10:56 am

This is by far my favourite of your looks 🙂