Holiday Party Outfit – Cocktail Peplum (& t+j styling challenge!)

hmpeplum2

Peplum Dress: H&M; Divided sz 2 (item # 061128, $30), Pumps: CL Elissa 100 (similar in sz 4-11)
Earrings: from craft fair (similarClutch: Chanel WOC  Lipcolor: Rimmel “Bordeaux”
Bracelets: thrifted chain & cuffs thanks to t+j designs (enter their styling challenge here)

In my last holiday-themed post, I showed a glitzy, fun pairing for a night out on the town. Today’s outfit incorporates similar colors and some of the same accessories, but the finished look feels more glamorous and cocktail-appropriate. I started with my hair partially pinned, but with a neckline like this plus big earrings – hair swept back is the way to go.
hmpeplum1
Since the coy peplum hem adds width to my hips, I tried to balance it out with sleek, tall heels and higher hair (by way of velcro bumpit). For finishing touches, I grabbed statement earrings and chunky but classic wrist decor. I’ve received lots of questions on shopping for vintage chain bracelets and necklaces…you’d be surprised at how easy and affordable it is. I’ll do a quick e Bay tutorial tomorrow!
hmpeplum5

Tiffany of I am Style-ish kindly sent over these adjustable bracelets from her jewelry line, t+j Designs

t+j Designs is currently hosting a statement jewelry styling challenge, where bloggers and non-bloggers alike can enter a photo to win one of two fun jewelry prize packs. Please visit Tiffany’s post here for all the rules and details. Tiffany, Khatu, Kelly and I will select one of the winners – so please show us your favorite outfit incorporating statement jewelry (and please check out those ladies’ fab personal looks)!
hmpeplum4

Top left: thrifted chain. Bottom left: t+j Designs mesh & gold bangle Right: t+j Designs braided cuff

As Tiffany mentioned in her post, some of us struggle with styling bigger jewelry and dangly earrings (especially petite women who don’t want to be overwhelmed by accessories). My rule of thumb has always been “comfort is key.” Earrings bigger than 2-3 inches not only look silly against my face, but also weigh down my earlobes. Bracelet “arm parties” have been the trend amongst bloggers, but for those of us who work on a computer – how comfortable is that stack of metal clanking against our wrists? And lastly, I’m trying to avoid neck strain by staying away from necklaces over 5 ounces, even if it means turning to cheaper, lightweight materials. After you have pieces that are comfortable to wear, it’s easy to use simple outfits (like LBDs) as canvases to showcase your statement jewelry.
hmpeplum
Since bracelets rarely fit my wrists, I opted for these open-style cuffs from Tiffany’s line. I love the large braided cuff (only $16, plus 25% off w/ code THANKS until 11/30) which has more of a rose gold finish than shiny gold. It’s easily pliable and lightweight. I tend to forget that I have it on, even through long days of typing at a computer. If you have a rose gold watch, I can only imagine how beautiful the pair would be together.
hmpeplum3

To wrap up this post, here is a side and back view. This dress is beautiful and a great value for $30, but it has it’s complications. The shape is unforgiving, and thus cannot be worn to delicious dinner parties. The bottom is very snug, and causes unsightly flaring right below my thighs (flaring and pulling across the front are surefire signs of a garment being too tight). This dress also rides up when worn with tights, so I have to cross my fingers for unseasonably warm weather. Nevertheless, I cannot wait to wear it to an early evening cocktail party next week.

Readers – did anyone else pick up this dress? I’d love to see how you style it.

53 thoughts on “Holiday Party Outfit – Cocktail Peplum (& t+j styling challenge!)

• mai November 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

LOVE how you accessorized this look! The shoes are probably my favorite though!

• thenauticalwheeler November 28, 2011 at 9:09 am

Love the dress! You look stunning. From Brooklyn with love ~jen

• Ms. Champagne November 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

I looove your outfit, the red shoes pop. I love the shade of red as well, not too dark not too light!

I'm so short so I always try to choose heels with a platform but ones without like yours look so much classier.

πŸ˜€ thanks for the tips!

xoxo champagne

• Anne November 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

You look stunning!!

• My Dressy Ways November 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

Beautiful Jean!

• Alexandra November 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Alexandra November 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

Wow, you look so amazing. That darker lipstick really becomes you. Also a tutorial on the hairstyle you are wearing would be much appreciated.

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) November 28, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have that braided cuff too – hey I'm wearing it today LOL!

Jean, in the first picture you could be Wendy's sister, seriously!!!

This dress looks fantastic on you but I don't think I could pull off the peplum skirt and when you said that it's not for dinner parties right away it would be a no go for me πŸ˜› Loooove your heels, are those a recent purchase?

• Ella Pretty Blog November 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

You look so gorgeous in all these photos – love the crimson lip! Those earrings are SO my style – I love them!

• Anna November 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

great look!

• Christie November 28, 2011 at 11:09 am

Cole Haan "Air Talia" leopard pumps on Rue La La today… in case your search continues! Come in 5, 5.5.

• lin November 28, 2011 at 11:25 am

jean, you look beautiful in the pics. i love all the accessories you added from the earrings all the way down to your pumps. great suggestions on how to dress up a lbd with statement jewelry. πŸ˜€

• Katherine November 28, 2011 at 11:25 am

How gorgeous do you look?? I feel the same way about mega big "arm parties" but did pick up a studded cuff the other day – it does clank some against a laptop though so I just push it further up my arm. You look amazing here!!

• Anonymous November 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

one word, gorgeous!! you should wear more red lipstick like this! πŸ™‚

• Jackie November 28, 2011 at 11:49 am

You look amazing!!

I Agree about styling bracelets. I work on the computer so I can't do chunky bracelets (not that they ever fit) and/or uber long nails 0_0

I love how you matched your earrings to your shoes and lipstick here and the dress looks gorgeous.

• itzLina November 28, 2011 at 11:51 am

Stunning! I love how you can pull of you go from professional and chic, to laid back with jeans and a basic tee with accessories, to this glamorous red carpet look! Your lips match your shoes perfectly, awesomeness =D What did the bf say when he saw you like this? "May I take you out to dinner tonight, please?" teehee.

• Angie November 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

you look classically, elegant jean. this peplum dress is a keeper! i'm really enticed to go hunt for one myself. the red lip and pulled back pony suits you.

• Haute Muslimah November 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Wow! You look absolutely incredible. I love the peplum look

• Hellen November 28, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Semi-new reader & haven't ever commented (at least not in awhile). Hi!

Jean, you'd be the envy of everyone at any party! So gorgeous. πŸ™‚

I'm in a rut trying to just pass my classes at school, but reading your blog gives me hope for my future fashion endeavors! You're always beautiful in everything, inside and out. You inspire me to work out and make sure I don't let myself go hahaha.

• L Ng November 28, 2011 at 1:01 pm

love the braided bracelet and it's rose gold finish. do you know if they have other accessories of similar color?

• Alessia Pearl November 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Stunning as always.

I would really appreciate it if you could check my blogs…..and follow if you like it.

• MonochromeMagpie November 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I'm absolutely in love with the colour of those heels! Really nicely styled too πŸ™‚

• The Little Dust Princess November 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm

You look so good in cocktail attire! Ever since I saw this dress a couple of weeks ago (with size 2 out of stock for that matter), it has disappeared off ALL racks. ughh…

• Vonnie November 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I adore the zipper detail on that dress. It was an unexpected surprise!

• Petite and Hungry November 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

you look absolutely GORGEOUS!! i bet you'll be the bell of the ball at every holiday party!

• GYC November 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm

wow you look amazing! the dress really accentuates your slim figure! =)

• xJOLE November 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I've yet to see this dress in Canadian stores, but the fit is DIVINE on you. I wish the zipper wasn't so exposed, but for only $30, who can really complain?! Love that you opted out of a necklace with the one-shouldered piece.

• claudia November 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Jean, you look amazing! I probably would have never considered a dress like that on the rack, but you make me definitely consider looking for it at my local HM.

is the technique you used for your hair the same as the tutorial you did on using the velcro bumpit? it looks like the "bump" is more forward to create more of a "poof" look? i like it, and if what you did is any different than your previous tutorial, can you please do a tutorial on it?

thanks!!

• Anonymous November 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Jean, You look like a million dollars! I absolutely love everything about this outfit! It's so glamorous! Thanks for all the wonderful tips. I'm new to this blog and am already hooked. You are amazing!

Lisanne

• Kiwi November 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm

You look great in the dress and you made the dress look like it's worth at least ten times its price lol.
    I tried to go to H&M; to look for the dress, but didn't see it =(

• el.vi. November 28, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I went to look for the dress at H&M; right after you showed us last time…I think my hips are too wide for it…cuz it was not flattering for me πŸ™ You on the other hand look fabulous!

• R.L. November 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I wish all good party dresses cost around this much given how much they are worn compared to everyday clothes. Ladies with shorter hair may want to reconsider really long earrings too. When my hair was a few inches below my chin, I I looked silly with longer earrings until my hair grew out. Anyway, looking forward to your eBay tutorial! I guess I better buy the chain necklaces I have on my watchlist bec I suspect chain necklaces and bracelets will be selling out as soon as you do your post πŸ˜‰

• Megan November 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm

So pretty with the red pumps!! Definitely a great deal on the dress too!

• Mets GirLL November 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I really, really love that dress! I hope my H&M; has it and it looks ok on me because that would be the perfect birthday dress.

• Alterations Needed November 28, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Dang girl! Looking good! I'm getting the "new Loubie" itch and your red shoes aren't helping!! Gah!

• Samantha November 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm

You look absolutely GORGEOUS in the dress! I'm so glad you're wearing it to a cocktail party next week! I've been waiting to see you style it since you got it from H&M;!! I never made it back to get the dress! Darn!

• Janine aka J-Ezzy @ *La Dolce Vita* November 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I love how you mixed all the metal colors! I didn't notice how tight the dress probably bc it's so gorgeous! I will be checking out the t+j line! Tiffany is the first blogger I actually followed consistently. I have and still love her blog! So amazing to see she has a line πŸ™‚

• Leslie November 28, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I love this outfit! An up to date classic. You look fab!!

• Anonymous November 29, 2011 at 1:24 am

Hi!! You look fabulous!!!
    I recently bought the Velcro Bumpit – thanks for your recommendation!!! Do you find the corners stick out when you style it the way you did in this post? luckily my hair colour matches exactly but it is a concern. Thinking about trimming it down. Thoughts??
    much appreciated for all your posts!!
    Elle

• Carla Krae November 29, 2011 at 5:12 am

You look great. As my boyfriend would say, "Helloooo, nurse!"