Girly Girl – Leopard, Nudes, and Pleats

leopardpleats1

Leopard cardigan: Ann Taylor (similar in XXS-XL), Blouse: Gap (similar)
Pumps: CL Simple 100  Watch: Michael Kors Tortoise  Skirt: c/o Modcloth (also styled here)
Don’t you love discovering cute pairings by accident? Last month when we were blessed with two days of mild weather, I was on my way out the door in this blouse, skirt, and shoe combo. I asked the same question that I ask every day: “Nick, how do I look?” He gazed over me passively (as he does 99% of the time, yet I still value his opinion dearly) and said I resembled a neutral blob. Disgruntled, I ran back into the bedroom and grabbed the first non-neutral layer I could find, and turned out liking the end result much more.

leopardpleats2
Soon, my warm-weather pieces will go into hibernation under my bed…

This skirt is in line for storage, but I might push myself to try styling it with tights first. I think tights are functional, but they often ruin outfits that don’t need the added element. As a result, I get bored and frustrated dressing in the depths of winter, and often wear dark outfits with black tights on repeat. Please help me by sharing any cold-weather pairing suggestions for this skirt!
leopardpleats5
For the hundredth time, thank you again R.L. for selling me this blouse. I don’t look down on polyester, because sometimes it results in amazingly drapey and comfortable pieces like this, while being lower-maintenance than silk. Gap – please make more tops like this, and please do it in petite sizing too next time!
leopardpleats

Readers – Do you ask your significant other for fashion advice? : )

60 thoughts on “Girly Girl – Leopard, Nudes, and Pleats

• My Dressy Ways November 23, 2011 at 11:50 am

You're so cute! These are great photos! We're getting a better camera soon so maybe Nick can give Alex some tips. And you can give me tips on guiding the photographer. LOL. Secretly, I think Alex is more excited to use me as his photography experiment. Either way, I benefit. ๐Ÿ™‚

I DO ask Alex what he thinks from time to time. He's actually pretty darn good. Most of the time, I need his opinion on which shoe to wear. I also love his candid responses to outfits that are Man Repeller outfits. I really should keep a book of his comments because they seriously crack me up. But you know who I truly trust for fashion advice? My six year old daughter. She is amazing and knows a thing or two about fit and what works with my body. She does love to dress me and offer her advice on accessories as well. I love her for her young child honesty. There's no filter, she just says what she thinks and since she has great taste – I value her opinion.

Have a great Thanksgiving Jean!

• Anonymous November 23, 2011 at 11:50 am

Question – what nail polish are you wearing there?

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) November 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

"A Neutral Blob" LOL! Yes I ask my husband all the time. Most times I take his opinion but while he likes most colour he's more conservative with it so when I try to me more "bold" I get a questioning look from him ๐Ÿ™‚

I find tights such a pain too, not only for the look but they cause my skirts to drape funny or sometimes stick to my legs! I think that skirt is a beautiful colour fof the cold months though so I hope you don't put it away too soon!

• PetiteAsianGirl November 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

@Anonymous My best guess is "Jelly Apple" by Essie : )

• Cee November 23, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I actually only ask bf for his opinions when I'm considering a purchase. And most of the time he gives it a thumbs down, but I go ahead and buy anyway, hahaha. I don't think he notices what I wear half the time when I walk out the door. The other half consists of a grunt (which I translate to "meh"), looks me up and down (seal of approval?), and then there's the "Umm… are you sure you wanna wear that? I don't know if I want to walk next to you. JOKING!" The latter is probably a half-joke, but I will admit that I get lazy with a lint roller, so he does have a point, lol.

Happy Thanksgiving, Jean!

• Julie Khuu November 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Love the skirt! Such gorgeous delicate pleating…your picks are always so classic and refined! This piece could work on so many levels! Perfect for layering with tights when the weather gets chillier!

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving babe!

xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

• M November 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

In theory, I would love for that skirt to look good with some sort of cable sweater tucked in. I would say beige or, if you wanted to be more colourful, purple may work. Don't ask me where I came up with purple but I'm talking ideals here! LOL I'm not sure about a black tight though. A light grey may work with your grey perfect pumps. If you decide to try this, I will keep my fingers crossed that this theory works in practice!

• Elle November 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I ask the boyfriend for advice all the time…he is a simple guy though so he doesn't get it when there are patterns involved. I usually press him for some compliments and he'll say something just appease me. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous November 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

If you feel too neutral, just try tights with a pattern. You can build whole outfits around them. Or try knee high stockings.

zimt-peppermint

• Lillian November 23, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You could never look like a neutral blob! haha
    I really love this outfit- the print, colors and textures- so pretty! xx

• Ping November 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm

i love that blouse too & those CL pumps. i hope gap makes more blouses like that and in petite sizing!
    haha, i take my bf shopping with me all the time. the issue with him is that he thinks i look good in virtually everything (except for maxi skirts)…when i really don't. so he's an enable and therefore i end up spending too much money on junk. lol

• Anonymous November 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm

You should check out Taylor Swift on http://www.tomandlorenzo.com today — I'm pretty sure she's wearing YOUR yellow skirt, styled with a blue cable knit! Super cute.

Truly enjoy your blog.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

• Annie November 23, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Jean, I love the color of the your blouse. It complements the color of the skirt so well.

• PetiteAsianGirl November 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm

@Anonymous How funny! Just like how @M suggested! Thank you for sharing this!

• Lisa - respect the shoes November 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm

BF usually keeps his oufit opinions to himself but if I am stepping way off base with a color or pattern mix, he usually tells me and for that, I am appreciative.

I think almost any skirt could be "winterized" with dark tights and matching(ish) dark booties, as long as there's some of that same dark up top. Or like Anon mentioned above, maybe a patterned tight, like pointelle or diamonds or something to break up the big block of dark legs.

• dietingfashions November 23, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Very cute dressy outfit. I am too wanting to wearing skirts and such during the winter, but sometimes I rather be warm than look fashionable.

No I do not ask my husband how I look. I would get the same answer, "Fine, let's go."

• dietingfashions November 23, 2011 at 12:51 pm

• J-ezzy November 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm

you are so adorable!! i do adk my hubs for outfit approval sometimes (only b/c i want him to say it looks good, haha). the more daring fashion outfits he sorta cringes upon, haha.

i'm the last person to give you advice on winterizing outfits, i store all my summer stuff and just wear tweed pants, haha. how boring! can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Marie @ Lemondrop Vintage November 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm

No, my hubs and I would almost never agree. I am so vintage and he is not. Lovely pleats!

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    I'm having a giveaway…

• Anonymous November 23, 2011 at 1:21 pm

@Elaine–I have the same problem especially with sweater dresses. I found that wearing a slip/slip skirt underneath fixes the problem. Hope it works for you.

• joceline November 23, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love tights but agree that sometimes they don't look intentional. Black and mustard always screams bumblebee to me–what about grey tights to soften it up a little? Or maroon with cognac boots?

• Librafleur November 23, 2011 at 2:29 pm

You are so cute !!

• Sandy a la Mode November 23, 2011 at 2:37 pm

love this look girl! and yes, since my husband takes pictures of me, i always make sure he approves of the look first! one time i tried on something that looked kinda french maid ish and he told me not to wear it, glad he warned me haahha!!

• maggie November 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Love the color of your skirt! You should try pairing them with black tights that have some metallic thread through them, it wouldn't make it too boring, but at the same time, would add a little spice.

xx maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

• contrary kiwi November 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love tights. I own so many pairs of them! I love that they can add a totally different look to an outfit and rescue a skirt or shorts that are too short to be worn modestly.

Sometimes I ask my bf what he thinks, but he says I look great in everything (like Ping's bf) so he's not much help – except for compliments!

• Petite and Hungry November 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

love the different soft colors!

• CynthiaC November 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I love the soft colours too!! As for asking my significant other about style…his answer is always "you look great!" regardless of whether I do or not…

• Forever Fashion November 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love your outfit! And the leopard sweater is a perfect combo! It adds just enough!

fashionqueen294.blogspot.com

• yuni.k November 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Tights with cute patterns can pull together an otherwise neutral blob outfit. I love sheer black tights with summery colors. Knee high socks over tights are cute but maybe a bit unprofessional for work. Love the color of the blouse on you! So becoming!

• AubreyOhDang! November 23, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I'll ask the brettster sometimes, but I value Tina's opinions more.

• eveange66 November 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I would say grey tights would be great but rather purple or violet or burgundy as it gorgeous with mustard and all the rage this fall-winter.
    I wear tights very often and would not go bare legged except on very hot days. And I just do not like to wear close leather shoes with my bare sweaty feet, I do not think it appropriate neither very practical. But I live in Europe. On the opposite, I really think tights (and stocking) can really change an outfit and you have so much different kind, plain ones, colour, patterns. They are a great addition to an outfit.

• Jen November 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I had to train hubby into being more forward with his opinions but he has quite the eye to tell me yay or nay now, especially on new purchases. I love hearing his opinion and I think it has saved me from plenty of wrong choices! And I love Taylor Swift's cable sweater + pleated skirt combo linked in the comments earlier. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ana November 23, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Love the shirt! I have an amazing yellow skirt that is dying to be worn but it's unlined (the big question is why) so I need to figure it out…

I do ask my BF how I look when we're together (he's OOT for work) but I get passive responses as well. I just stick to hoping for the best when I throw an outfit together…

• rolala November 23, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Great combo! Sometimes I'll ask for my husband for his opinion but I pretty much end up wearing what I want even if he isn't crazy about it. My style tends to be alot funkier than his. I am his stylist 100% though ๐Ÿ™‚

• Michelle November 23, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I don't ask him because I'm not confident enough to take his criticism. and he's very direct at telling if he likes or dislikes something on me. when he likes it, he will go"I like your earrings" or "I like your coat" when we are eating or totally randomly; when he doesn't like it, he frowns his eyebrow and say "I don't like you wear this, makes you look like a little girl" which makes me feel really bad at the moment yep…

• Michelle November 23, 2011 at 5:38 pm

do you have another Michael Kors watch? if I don't get it wrong?

• grace November 23, 2011 at 5:52 pm

this is a lovely outfit! perhaps the skirt could be styled for the winter with a black sweater, plum or navy blue colored tights, and maybe black ankle booties? ๐Ÿ™‚

grace
    blog.graceniu.net

• watercoloursky November 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I like all the comments on coloured tights…if it were me I'd pair it with a pair of forest green tights I have ๐Ÿ™‚
    By the way I own the olive version of your blouse thanks to your initial post in Sept and agree with you that it is awesome! I just wish I had snagged the nude version as well! Its still available on GapCanada but only in a size too big :S

• Michelle November 23, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Very cute!! Nick gave you a nice suggestion!

I usually say the same thing when we head out, "Does this look good." My husband will be a brat and not look over and say "yes." Then when he does check out what I am wearing, I proceed to say, "Are you just saying that because you want to leave, or does it really look good?"

Love the last pic…it looks like the door has "cooties"!

• Samantha November 23, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I think you look so pretty in this feminine outfit! That nude blouse drapes wonderfully. (I know what you mean about polyester! I try not to be a poly snob!)

I DO ask my husband for styling advice. He usually gives it to me straight. Often, I listen to him. Sometimes, I'm really happy with what I'm wearing so I DON'T listen to him!

Happy Thanksgiving Jean! ๐Ÿ™‚