• Preppy Time – Fall Stripes and Layering

ONstripes1

Sweater: Old Navy 3/4 sleeve crewneck sz XS (buy here; use FABFAVES til 10/18 for 30% off)
    Shirt: Gap Shirred Blouse sz XSP   Blazer: H&M; (old) Skirt: YesStyle Boots: eBay

I haven’t set foot inside Old Navy in ages, but a reader Aviva kindly shared a tip about these shrunken-fit sweaters last month. In-stores, they’re only about $8 each. To add color to my casual wardrobe, I picked up this preppy green & black stripe (wish it were green & navy) and the fun multi stripe, to be shown soon. I got the multi stripe in a sz small, which is not that big on me. See this sweater on Kelly.

ONstripes

Watch: Michael Kors Tortoise Jet Set   Necklace: 3-row “pearls” from Nordstrom Rack (similar)

ONstripes2

Obligatory leaf tossing pic.

ONstripes3
    This weekend, my beloved boyfriend/photographer and I celebrated 7 years together. We shared a delish dinner, I squealed at a striking gift, but my favorite part – every time – is the thoughtful handmade card : )
    anniversaryI’m traveling internationally for both work and blogging right now, so I apologize for being behind on your questions and emails. Can’t wait to settle back into Boston and catch up on my favorite blogs. I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead!

63 thoughts on “Preppy Time – Fall Stripes and Layering

• TaraMixandMatch October 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Congrats on 7 years πŸ™‚ Love your layering here, that's something I need to work on becoming better at!

• Krizia October 16, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Hi Jean!

I've been a long time reader of your blog (almost since you started!), but I don't think I've ever left a comment — mostly b/c I read from Google Reader and so miss the opportunity to visit your site. I have to say THANK YOU for sharing such high quality information and reviews on your blog. I've really used so many of your tips (e.g. best skirt length, how to loop the end of a thin waist belt, how to accessorize, make wise purchases, etc.) and always look forward to new posts! Secondly, I'm also compelled to (finally) comment b/c this is probably one of my favorite outfits I've seen on you (probably b/c my style is quite preppy :). I love how you mix and match so many different pieces at such varying price points. You always do it in such an effortlessly chic fashion! Finally, congratulations to you and the boyfriend. You're both so blessed to have each other! We really enjoy his photographer talents on extrapetite.com!

Cheers from your fellow petite from NYC,
      Krizia
      5'3" 110lbs size 6.5 shoe

P.S. I just LOVE those boots on you! I've been looking for a similar pair. Would you mind sharing the brand/designer? Thanks so so so much πŸ™‚

• maggie October 16, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Congrats on the seven years! Your BF is definitely very thoughtful πŸ™‚
      Old Navy never seems to have the best color combos, that is for sure. But they do have some nice pieces.

xx maggie

• PetiteAsianGirl October 16, 2011 at 8:13 pm

@Krizia Krizia, thank you for taking the time to say hello and for your incredibly warm note. I'm so happy to hear that you've found my posts helpful, and I certainly can't take credit for many of the things I just re-share on here : ) As for the boots – I bought them pre-owned and there is no label on the inside. I took a flashlight and looked around to no avail. I bought these years ago, but I searched for leather cuffed and/or mid-calf boots on eBay, and specifically looked for older ones for their quality. Good luck!

• Anonymous October 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Great outfit! LOVE the boots!

• Diana Karimkhan October 16, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I love your layers! I also need to work on that! πŸ™‚

• ::little projects in style:: October 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm

such a cute outfit! it has all my favorite things in one look! oh! and happy anniversary to you both!

• Katherine October 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Happy anniversary! I can't wait to see more of that Goyard bag πŸ™‚

• Janice October 16, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Aah Goyard!!! I'm a recent fan of this brand also! Congrats on reaching 7 years – definitely not an easy achievement =)

Also, so funny but I totally know Krizia above, she just got engaged to one of my friends / ex-coworkers haha! The petite world is so small (pun not intended lol)

• mai October 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm

This outfit is awesome. . .I the love preppy! The striped sweater work so well with the rest of the pieces.

• PetiteLittleGirl October 16, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I love this outfit, Jean! You look so playful in these photos =) Happy Anniversary to you both. I think I started following you when you and Nick celebrated your 5-year anniversary. I still remember those couple photos that you posted. Can't believe I've stalking your blog for almost 2 years =) Have a safe trip and I can't wait to hear more about Barcelona.

• easy petite looks October 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm

congrats on 7!! hope you've been having a great time with traveling πŸ™‚ its such a beautiful time of the year

• J October 16, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Ahhhh!! Congrats on the Goyard St. Louis!!!! What a great BF indeed! Def. a keeper. πŸ™‚ Love the boots – I can't believe you scored them on eBay – can we get a side view of them? & Have fun in Barcelona! Can't wait to see pics and posts!

• The Little Dust Princess October 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm

You look gorgeous, Jean! I was gonna comment on how I loved that H&M; skirt, but I scrolled up again to see that it's from Yesstyle. I think you (or someone else) reviewed a very similar looking one from H&M; last month. : ) Happy seven to you & Nick! And safe travels!

• Callandra October 16, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Jean you look so cute playing in the leaves!…And I can't wait to copy this outfit by the way πŸ˜‰ Happy Anniversary to you and Nick!!

• Mary Ann October 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I love the leaf pic – thanks for sharing! And Happy Anniversary! πŸ˜‰

• MΓ©lina K. October 16, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Hi Jean,

I really enjoy every post on this blog. I have been following you since the beginning of this year but never commented before. I think I stumbled on one of your Youtube video while I was looking for a style that was more work appropriate before discovering your blog.

Thank you for all the tips πŸ™‚ Have a safe trip!

• Anna October 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Hey Jean, this is one of my favorite looks that you've sported on this blog – and I went through archives all the way to the first post πŸ˜€ The preppy vibe is very inspiring! Thanks for a great blog and congrats to you and Nick! He has done wonderfully with the photographs

• Phuong October 16, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Happy anniversary to you and Nick!! Thanks for the post and enjoy Barcelona!!!

• vonnie October 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Happy Anniversary! 7 years is such a long time πŸ™‚ happy for you and you're looking lovely as always in this post.

• Girlie Blogger October 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Glad to hear that your blog brought you travel ops. The striped shirt looks great.

• Kiwi's Fashion Blog October 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Happy Anniversary! Whata sweet BF πŸ˜‰

• R.L. October 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm

You look like you stepped right out of a JCrew catalog! Love the preppy look and I'm curious to see how you'll style the multi stripe πŸ™‚ Congrats to you and Nick! 7 years while still in your 20s is a milestone for sure. Also, you'll have to share your thoughts on if Longchamp is at all comparable to Goyard.

• DSK Steph October 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Happy anniversary!!

• Alterations Needed October 16, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Congrats on 7 years & snagging a guy with such great taste in gifts! Hubba hubba! πŸ™‚

I really like this preppy look on you & am also loving the little Old Navy sweater! Went to look for another one as a backup (I like it THAT much) but my local store was completely out of the white with black stripe. Yowza!

Have a safe jet-setting week & can't wait to hear all about your adventures abroad when you get back!

• Liv @ Sidewalk Couture October 16, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I just discovered your blog, and I love it already! I'm also petite (5'1") and definitely have a hard time finding clothes that fit well. You're making it look easy, though πŸ™‚ Your outfit is perfect for a crisp fall day on campus.

And congrats on 7 years! My boyfriend and I are on 2 years, so 7 sounds like such a long time.

• Jenn October 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I tried this look today and failed at it! I have a similar top but it might be heavier in terms of thickness. It made me look bulkier but I envisioned it to turn out like your outfit, so I switched my outfit. Those boots are beautiful!

• LorraineNpopo October 16, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Congratulations on 7 years~ =) The card-making is really sweet of him!!!

• Ella Pretty Blog October 16, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Ooooh – is that a goyard bag? So lovely – can't wait to see it in future outfit pics. Happy Anniversary and safe travels πŸ™‚

• Michelle October 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Gorgeous shots! Love the location!

Happy anniversary to you and Nick! πŸ™‚

I am so excited to see your Barcelona pics!!

• Ping October 16, 2011 at 10:33 pm

awww congrats to you and nick! it's so sweet of him to get you that goyard bag and hand made card!

you look great and i love the layering, different colors and textures you have going on here. i hope you have a good time in Barcelona! wished aubs & i could have tag along…think we can squeeze in your suitcase?!?

• Justine October 16, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Aw! Happy Anniversary πŸ™‚

• Megan October 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Congrats, to you and Nick. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
      Also, you pull off that outfit so well… there's so many different colors going on, but they all work together perfectly!! I wish I had the ability to put together outfits like that!

• Petite and Hungry October 16, 2011 at 11:35 pm

love the way you layered your pieces! such a pretty look for fall!

• newpetite October 17, 2011 at 12:19 am

Love this outfit and the shot where you are tossing the leaves πŸ™‚ Love how the Sweater add the vibrant color to your outfit! One of my fav from you! Happy Anniversary!!

• grace October 17, 2011 at 3:40 am

Happy Anniversary Jean! : ) I adore that picture of you playing the leaves! Congrats to Nick and you! Such a beautiful card! Can't wait to see more of that Goyard!

• Meanne October 17, 2011 at 3:55 am

Cute outfit! Congrats on the anniversary. And I have the same Goyard bag πŸ™‚ It's splendid!

Did you remove the gold buttons from your Yesstyle skirt?

• Noora Katariina October 17, 2011 at 4:35 am

Good looking outfit πŸ™‚

• hawa October 17, 2011 at 5:03 am

I have a brown and Purple prep school sweater and you just inspired a different look for me to wear it!!!
      I saw the twitpic of the card and went awwwwwwwww!congratulations to the both of you

• Carla Krae October 17, 2011 at 7:02 am

Awwww, isn't he a sweetie. Going on 13 years this Dec. with mine.

The shot of you tossing the leaves is just lovely.