Preppy Time – Fall Stripes and Layering

ONstripes1

Sweater: Old Navy 3/4 sleeve crewneck sz XS (buy here; use FABFAVES til 10/18 for 30% off)
Shirt: Gap Shirred Blouse sz XSP   Blazer: H&M; (old) Skirt: YesStyle Boots: eBay

I haven’t set foot inside Old Navy in ages, but a reader Aviva kindly shared a tip about these shrunken-fit sweaters last month. In-stores, they’re only about $8 each. To add color to my casual wardrobe, I picked up this preppy green & black stripe (wish it were green & navy) and the fun multi stripe, to be shown soon. I got the multi stripe in a sz small, which is not that big on me. See this sweater on Kelly.

ONstripes

Watch: Michael Kors Tortoise Jet Set   Necklace: 3-row “pearls” from Nordstrom Rack (similar)

ONstripes2

Obligatory leaf tossing pic.

ONstripes3
This weekend, my beloved boyfriend/photographer and I celebrated 7 years together. We shared a delish dinner, I squealed at a striking gift, but my favorite part – every time – is the thoughtful handmade card : )
anniversaryI’m traveling internationally for both work and blogging right now, so I apologize for being behind on your questions and emails. Can’t wait to settle back into Boston and catch up on my favorite blogs. I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead!

63 Comments

1. Anonymous wrote:

Hey! Such a cute outfit! I am very petite as well and have had a hard time finding riding boots! What brand are yours?? They hit below your knee just perfectly!

Posted 12.1.11 Reply
  2. this outfit looks so casual and so nice!! I love it and I will try it as soon as possible especialy because I like wearing stripes ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 11.29.11 Reply
  3. This is such a cute outfit!! I love your color palette and the layering.

Posted 11.4.11 Reply
  4. Nandar wrote:

I've just started following your blog and loving all the posts. Thanks so much for all the inspiring outfits, and looks. I truly love the boots. Can you please share where I can get the boots? I am also interested in YES Style and I browsed the website. I am 5'2" (petite according to height) but I am 120lbs so not petite according to the weight. Sob ! so YES Style's "One size" is not for me I guess.

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  5. Jean, I missed this post!! Love all the layering you did here, so wearable!

And congrats to you and Nick ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 10.22.11 Reply
  6. grace jim wrote:

Can I just say I absolutely love your style! It's sophisticated, well put together and just well… cute! And I love that you add the link to where you got your stuff or something similar to it, it's really helpful in finding inspired outfits. It's very much appreciated, so thanks, keep it up! ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 10.20.11 Reply
  7. Vivian wrote:

How does the YesStyle skirt fit/feel? I got some YesStyle stuff, and they were sadly low in quality, which made me think twice about ordering there again…

Posted 10.18.11 Reply
  8. I wrote a post on petite girls wearing J. Crew's "Crew Cuts." Have you ever shopped in the children's section? http://douxrousse.blogspot.com/2011/10/cool-kids.html

Love that skirt!

Posted 10.18.11 Reply
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

Posted 10.18.11 Reply
  10. 1to24 wrote:

Cute! I've been reading your blog for a while and love to see all of your different clothing choices. Congrats on the 7 years as well!

I recently ordred a couple of things from ON before this post. I stopped shopping there a couple of years ago but some really cheap clothes drew me back online, haha. I will let you know how they turn out!

Posted 10.18.11 Reply
  11. lica wrote:

congrats on 7 years! thats pretty amazing.

i went into an old navy today and picked up a pair of BRIGHT red jeans. and they fit perfect! first pair of non-alteration pants ever. and they were only $20. yaay.

Posted 10.18.11 Reply
  12. I love that stripe sweater on you. Who would guess that it came from Old Navy! This ensemble is gorgeous – love the beige skirt and brown boots. The leaf tossing photo is so pretty ๐Ÿ˜‰ All your photos are beautiful – kudos to the photog and congrats on 7 years! Can't wait to see you carry the new gift ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thu

13. lin wrote:

great pics. i especially like the one where you're tossing the leaves. nice colors and layerings on your outfit…..perfect for fall. ๐Ÿ˜‰

congrats on your 7 years anniversary and have fun in barcelona!

14. bevy wrote:

I saw the same sweater and I too wish it were green and navy. hmmm, I may have to revisit Old Navy to see about the other striped sweater options.

PS Congrats on yall's anniversary.

Posted 10.17.11 Reply
  15. You look perfectly all things fall. Boston is my home too, I am a Boston-based clothing designer, would love for you to check out the blog and stop in to one of our shops sometime!!
    xo,
    Sara Campbell Blog

16. Amy wrote:

I especially love the pictures in this post! They look like they're straight out of a magazine. =)

Also, congrats on the 7 years!

17. Jackie wrote:

Jean! Congrats to you and Nick on 7 years together!

Are you going to take blog pics abroad? I'd love to see them. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Posted 10.17.11 Reply
  18. I can see it already–someone will pin you and caption will read, "asian girl, preppy style." HAHAH.

I hope you're having an awesome time traveling, & hopefully eating good food while abroad.

Cheers to you and Nick! 7 years & counting…

Posted 10.17.11 Reply
  19. Congrats on your 7th year! Wishing more years to come! OMG Goyard! Can't wait to see "her" included in your outfit post.I love everything most especially about your purse post..find it very informative and useful for now and years to come.Keep it up!:)

20. Congrats on 7 years. I love your blog! Keep doing wonderful things

21. kileen wrote:

i love the striped sweater and camel mini. and those boots also look like they fit you perfectly!

congrats to you and Nick on 7 years. enjoy your traveling!

Posted 10.17.11 Reply
  22. Ok I just purchased cognac boots at Nordstrom's this weekend – the BP Runway. I love them! We must think alike(:

ALSO my BF & I celebrated 6 years this weekend, our anni is 10/16!!

23. I LOVE preppy time! More preppy ensembles please – they're my favorite ๐Ÿ™‚

Congratulations on your anniversary and safe travels to you!

24. Carla Krae wrote:

Awwww, isn't he a sweetie. Going on 13 years this Dec. with mine.

The shot of you tossing the leaves is just lovely.

25. hawa wrote:

I have a brown and Purple prep school sweater and you just inspired a different look for me to wear it!!!
    I saw the twitpic of the card and went awwwwwwwww!congratulations to the both of you

26. Good looking outfit ๐Ÿ™‚

27. Meanne wrote:

Cute outfit! Congrats on the anniversary. And I have the same Goyard bag ๐Ÿ™‚ It's splendid!

Did you remove the gold buttons from your Yesstyle skirt?

28. grace wrote:

Happy Anniversary Jean! : ) I adore that picture of you playing the leaves! Congrats to Nick and you! Such a beautiful card! Can't wait to see more of that Goyard!

29. newpetite wrote:

Love this outfit and the shot where you are tossing the leaves ๐Ÿ™‚ Love how the Sweater add the vibrant color to your outfit! One of my fav from you! Happy Anniversary!!

Posted 10.17.11 Reply
  30. love the way you layered your pieces! such a pretty look for fall!

31. Megan wrote:

Congrats, to you and Nick. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    Also, you pull off that outfit so well… there's so many different colors going on, but they all work together perfectly!! I wish I had the ability to put together outfits like that!

32. Justine wrote:

Aw! Happy Anniversary ๐Ÿ™‚

33. Ping wrote:

awww congrats to you and nick! it's so sweet of him to get you that goyard bag and hand made card!

you look great and i love the layering, different colors and textures you have going on here. i hope you have a good time in Barcelona! wished aubs & i could have tag along…think we can squeeze in your suitcase?!?

34. Michelle wrote:

Gorgeous shots! Love the location!

Happy anniversary to you and Nick! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am so excited to see your Barcelona pics!!

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  35. Ooooh – is that a goyard bag? So lovely – can't wait to see it in future outfit pics. Happy Anniversary and safe travels ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  36. Congratulations on 7 years~ =) The card-making is really sweet of him!!!

37. Jenn wrote:

I tried this look today and failed at it! I have a similar top but it might be heavier in terms of thickness. It made me look bulkier but I envisioned it to turn out like your outfit, so I switched my outfit. Those boots are beautiful!

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  38. I just discovered your blog, and I love it already! I'm also petite (5'1") and definitely have a hard time finding clothes that fit well. You're making it look easy, though ๐Ÿ™‚ Your outfit is perfect for a crisp fall day on campus.

And congrats on 7 years! My boyfriend and I are on 2 years, so 7 sounds like such a long time.

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  39. Congrats on 7 years & snagging a guy with such great taste in gifts! Hubba hubba! ๐Ÿ™‚

I really like this preppy look on you & am also loving the little Old Navy sweater! Went to look for another one as a backup (I like it THAT much) but my local store was completely out of the white with black stripe. Yowza!

Have a safe jet-setting week & can't wait to hear all about your adventures abroad when you get back!

40. DSK Steph wrote:

Happy anniversary!!

41. R.L. wrote:

You look like you stepped right out of a JCrew catalog! Love the preppy look and I'm curious to see how you'll style the multi stripe ๐Ÿ™‚ Congrats to you and Nick! 7 years while still in your 20s is a milestone for sure. Also, you'll have to share your thoughts on if Longchamp is at all comparable to Goyard.

42. Happy Anniversary! Whata sweet BF ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  43. Glad to hear that your blog brought you travel ops. The striped shirt looks great.

44. vonnie wrote:

Happy Anniversary! 7 years is such a long time ๐Ÿ™‚ happy for you and you're looking lovely as always in this post.

45. Phuong wrote:

Happy anniversary to you and Nick!! Thanks for the post and enjoy Barcelona!!!

46. Anna wrote:

Hey Jean, this is one of my favorite looks that you've sported on this blog – and I went through archives all the way to the first post ๐Ÿ˜€ The preppy vibe is very inspiring! Thanks for a great blog and congrats to you and Nick! He has done wonderfully with the photographs

47. Hi Jean,

I really enjoy every post on this blog. I have been following you since the beginning of this year but never commented before. I think I stumbled on one of your Youtube video while I was looking for a style that was more work appropriate before discovering your blog.

Thank you for all the tips ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a safe trip!

48. Mary Ann wrote:

I love the leaf pic – thanks for sharing! And Happy Anniversary! ๐Ÿ˜‰

49. Callandra wrote:

Jean you look so cute playing in the leaves!…And I can't wait to copy this outfit by the way ๐Ÿ˜‰ Happy Anniversary to you and Nick!!

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  50. You look gorgeous, Jean! I was gonna comment on how I loved that H&M; skirt, but I scrolled up again to see that it's from Yesstyle. I think you (or someone else) reviewed a very similar looking one from H&M; last month. : ) Happy seven to you & Nick! And safe travels!

51. J wrote:

Ahhhh!! Congrats on the Goyard St. Louis!!!! What a great BF indeed! Def. a keeper. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love the boots – I can't believe you scored them on eBay – can we get a side view of them? & Have fun in Barcelona! Can't wait to see pics and posts!

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  52. congrats on 7!! hope you've been having a great time with traveling ๐Ÿ™‚ its such a beautiful time of the year

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  53. I love this outfit, Jean! You look so playful in these photos =) Happy Anniversary to you both. I think I started following you when you and Nick celebrated your 5-year anniversary. I still remember those couple photos that you posted. Can't believe I've stalking your blog for almost 2 years =) Have a safe trip and I can't wait to hear more about Barcelona.

54. mai wrote:

This outfit is awesome. . .I the love preppy! The striped sweater work so well with the rest of the pieces.

55. Janice wrote:

Aah Goyard!!! I'm a recent fan of this brand also! Congrats on reaching 7 years – definitely not an easy achievement =)

Also, so funny but I totally know Krizia above, she just got engaged to one of my friends / ex-coworkers haha! The petite world is so small (pun not intended lol)

56. Katherine wrote:

Happy anniversary! I can't wait to see more of that Goyard bag ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  57. such a cute outfit! it has all my favorite things in one look! oh! and happy anniversary to you both!

58. I love your layers! I also need to work on that! ๐Ÿ™‚

59. Anonymous wrote:

Great outfit! LOVE the boots!

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  60. @Krizia Krizia, thank you for taking the time to say hello and for your incredibly warm note. I'm so happy to hear that you've found my posts helpful, and I certainly can't take credit for many of the things I just re-share on here : ) As for the boots – I bought them pre-owned and there is no label on the inside. I took a flashlight and looked around to no avail. I bought these years ago, but I searched for leather cuffed and/or mid-calf boots on eBay, and specifically looked for older ones for their quality. Good luck!

61. maggie wrote:

Congrats on the seven years! Your BF is definitely very thoughtful ๐Ÿ™‚
    Old Navy never seems to have the best color combos, that is for sure. But they do have some nice pieces.

xx maggie

62. Krizia wrote:

Hi Jean!

I've been a long time reader of your blog (almost since you started!), but I don't think I've ever left a comment — mostly b/c I read from Google Reader and so miss the opportunity to visit your site. I have to say THANK YOU for sharing such high quality information and reviews on your blog. I've really used so many of your tips (e.g. best skirt length, how to loop the end of a thin waist belt, how to accessorize, make wise purchases, etc.) and always look forward to new posts! Secondly, I'm also compelled to (finally) comment b/c this is probably one of my favorite outfits I've seen on you (probably b/c my style is quite preppy :). I love how you mix and match so many different pieces at such varying price points. You always do it in such an effortlessly chic fashion! Finally, congratulations to you and the boyfriend. You're both so blessed to have each other! We really enjoy his photographer talents on extrapetite.com!

Cheers from your fellow petite from NYC,
    Krizia
    5'3" 110lbs size 6.5 shoe

P.S. I just LOVE those boots on you! I've been looking for a similar pair. Would you mind sharing the brand/designer? Thanks so so so much ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  63. Congrats on 7 years ๐Ÿ™‚ Love your layering here, that's something I need to work on becoming better at!

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?