Cobalt Skirt Remixed & Banana Republic Octavio Woven Heels

cobalt5

In case any of you were considering this skirt for Ann Taylor’s next sale, I wanted to show how versatile the color is cross-seasons. Last week I wore it amidst winter gloom, but for spring months I can see it with delicate neutrals and gold jewelry. The lighting in my room is all over the place, so I can’t get an accurate photo of the color. Please don’t rely on my pictures for the true color of this skirt.
cobalt7

Thrifted bracelet (resized by my handy jeweler),  Reversible Resin Necklace c/o Amrita Singh
cobalt8

Unfortunately you will all have to see this blouse in many more posts this year. It’s hands-down my favorite Fall purchase and I’m so thankful reader R.L. sold hers to me at the sale price of $20. It’s a regular size XS, but I DIY slimmed it like so. My coworker has banned me from wearing my multitude of Gap nude blouses to work again.

cobalt6
On a separate note, BR upped their online discount to 30% with BRTAKE30, good until tomorrow 10/31 at noon. Be sure to go through eBates (referral) for 10% cash back as well. Here are some pics that I took months ago of the Octavio Woven Peep Toe Heel. I tried these on in-store and loved them – the neutral shoe and platform were so elongating on my legs. I’ve had them in my cart ever since, waiting for a lower price, but now the time has come I can’t bite the bullet because I’m in full-on winter mode! Will I regret this? Bought, just to “try on for size.” ; )

If you live in a warmer climate, I recommend these shoes to make your legs look long and lean. The leather felt soft and the chunky heel seemed comfy. I think they run about half a size small. I’m wearing a 6 in these photos, and thought a 5.5 would be perfect (for reference, I wear a solid 5 in Ann Taylor).

Octavio Woven Peep Toe Heel – only 5 and 5.5’s are left online, check stores for sz 6 and up.

brwovenshoes

45 thoughts on “Cobalt Skirt Remixed & Banana Republic Octavio Woven Heels

• Ping October 30, 2011 at 9:48 pm

super cute! i love how the skirt matches the necklace and that the blouse matches the shoes. great color coordinating combo! for a minute i thought that was the AT overlapping placket blouse! they look very similar.

• Angie October 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

i like the pop of blue of that gorgeous necklace with your cobalt skirt. blue is such a versatile cross-season colour, agreed!

• The Little Dust Princess October 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I am still waiting for that shirt to be on sale! I should've grabbed one when I bought the green one too. ARGH! ๐Ÿ™

• Destinee October 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I am in LOVE with those peep toe heels. OMG!

• Katherine October 30, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Yes yes to the shoes!

• Michelle October 30, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I know what you mean…I passed up some cute summer items at the mall yesterday because I am in "winter mode" as well! Even though winter has yet to hit…I am hoping! ๐Ÿ™‚

You did an excellent job pairing the AT skirt with you AS necklace!! And your thrifted bracelet is amazing!! So pretty!

You could limit yourself to no more than two nude tops per week! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Natasha xoxo October 30, 2011 at 10:03 pm

OMG! I love those shoes! It looks like only a size 5 is available ๐Ÿ™ I need the extra .5, bummer!

Btw, the blue cobalt skirt is gorgeous! I'm on a skirt ban…I have waaay too many ๐Ÿ™‚

xo, tasha
    twenty-something blog
    enter my Gorjana bracelet giveaway today!

• Really Petite October 30, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Darn it! I'm too late! Sz 5's are gone! When I read runs small- I said omg!!!

I hope someone returns those shoes!

• maggie October 30, 2011 at 10:24 pm

love it! you really do show how versatile the cobalt blue skirt is.

xx maggie

• Anonymous October 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I just bought the last 5 in the BR shoes! Also, I live in the Boston area and was wondering if you could share your recommended tailor? It seems like their prices are MUCH more reasonable than anything else I've seen. Thanks!

• Anna October 30, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thumbs up! One of my favorite things about your style is your ability to take a few items and make a bazillion outfits. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm definitely inspired by the versatility of your nude blouse! However I just can't figure out how to get a good, clean tuck into skirts and pants. Any good tips on tucking and getting it stay throughout the day??

Maybe its just another petite girl plight, but I I usually get a lot of bunchiness at the hips. Could this be fitting issue? I think i have a longer torso for a 00P, so the bottom of fitted shirts flare out higher than my waistline. Maybe I should stick to knits!

• PetiteLittleGirl October 30, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I love this color combination, Jean. Since the color of this skirt is so bold, pairing with a neutral top seems like the way to go. I can't wait to try mine on. Thank you again for thinking of me =)

• lin October 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm

jean, great color combo. i love how versatile the skirt is. now i'm regretting not purchasing the blue tweed pencil skirt i saw at the limited a couple months ago. ๐Ÿ™

i was able to go and get the BR trench i've been eyeing but they didn't have a small so i had to get it shipped to my house. how do you think BR's trench fit is compared to burberry's?

• Girlie Blogger October 31, 2011 at 12:28 am

Beautiful shoes. Too bad I live in cold and rain :0( I like the color of your skirt – nice and bright.

• AdamAlexMommy October 31, 2011 at 12:40 am

You look super cute. I absolutely love the shade of blue… I wear it with browns… beige-ish tones… you name it! It is the color to wear now. ๐Ÿ™‚ I like how you coordinated the look. And those shoes… gotta get me some. lol!

Jas
    AdamAlexMommy

• Megan October 31, 2011 at 1:01 am

That blouse looks just like the neutral bow blouse from Gap that you love! I'm guessing the AT one isn't sold in stores or online anymore? And I am definitely going to consider that cobalt skirt for Ann Taylor's next 40% off sale… It looks perfect for spring time!!!

• Veggie Spring Roll October 31, 2011 at 1:20 am

Wow, the color of the skirt looks completely different in these pics vs the post a few days ago. It's such a pretty blue!

• Phuong October 31, 2011 at 1:34 am

Hey Jean!

I love this skirt! I haven't gotten it because I wish it was lined. I'm not a fan of wearing unlined skirts in the winter with tights because they cling to each other sometimes for me. Do you have a solution?

Thanks for all your posts! I love them!!

• urbanjunglefashion October 31, 2011 at 1:37 am

I'm loving everything about this look! So much i'm featuring it on my site this week! Fantastic job!

• 1to24 October 31, 2011 at 2:01 am

Decided to check out these shoes on the Canadian BR site – they are available online and size 5 is available but they are even cheaper than the US site before sale price at $49.99. Not sure if there is a coupon code that can be applied but thought I would post.

• Mimi October 31, 2011 at 2:02 am

cobalt is now one of my favorite colors! it's sooo beautiful! ๐Ÿ˜€

<3, Mimi

• Pretty Me Purple October 31, 2011 at 2:52 am

Very color coordinated, I see! I really like the necklace and shoes. ๐Ÿ™‚

• KB October 31, 2011 at 5:23 am

Beautiful outfit ๐Ÿ™‚ I've been reading your blog for a while now and its really lovely BUT I was wondering whether you could do a post on petite friendly stores with international shipping?? The choice for petite clothing in NZ is very limited and a lot of extra money is spent at the tailor. If you know of any it would be a great help! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ Kat

• Petite and Hungry October 31, 2011 at 5:41 am

love the color of your skirt! and your jewelry is sooo pretty!

• Petite Threads October 31, 2011 at 5:54 am

Those shoes look so nice for summer! Wish the peeptoe was a little bit smaller tho ๐Ÿ™‚

• Cafรฉ Bellini October 31, 2011 at 11:15 am

What a pretty outfit! Love the mix of colours. I heart nude shoes!

• dietingfashions October 31, 2011 at 11:52 am

Octavio you said? It's a very cute pair of shoes. oh wow, it's 10:52AM and the shoe is only available in a size 11. Missed it. Hopefully it'll be restocked.

• JJ October 31, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Loving this outfit – you've matched and coordinated the colors so well. Also, I adore your chain bracelet, it's so pretty!

• ellenglo October 31, 2011 at 1:44 pm

hi extrapetite!
    what a cute outfit! ๐Ÿ™‚ I saw an adorable blazer at f21 but it was tan and i was like.. oh no, what do i do with this?! i want black! but in seeing your post, i'm feeling more inspired ๐Ÿ˜€

btw, what are the dav rainboots that you have called? i'm having a rainy shoe dilemma!! :/

• Christine October 31, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Hi! Just a question about shoe fit…how do you know if a shoe fits or not? I ask because you mention that you're wearing a size 6 Banana Republic in those photos, but need to go down to a 5.5. From the pictures, they look like they fit how my shoes fit…am I wearing my shoes too big?
    This will make me sound stupid, but for years I wore ALL my clothes too big because I never realized how they were supposed to fit! It was after reading blogs like yours that I realized, OH, skirts are supposed to sit on my waist, not hips? Shoulders of jackets are not supposed to be halfway to my elbows? Haha. <--GREW UP A TOMBOY, only now learning about clothes.

• Elsie Jael October 31, 2011 at 3:46 pm

LOVE those woven heels, Jean! I'm a sucker for anything with a platform and a wooden heel. My friend and I love your blog and even though we're not petite, we find your young professional work style so inspirational ๐Ÿ™‚ We would really appreciate it if you would support us and follow back! Thanks!

• My Dressy Ways October 31, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Love all the pieces of this outfit Jean! AND I love the BR shoes! Too bad they're out of my size (and outta my price range for shoes!) LOL

• Carla Krae October 31, 2011 at 5:54 pm

@Christine

Christine, a shoe should be comfortable when you put it on. Shouldn't rub your heel, squeeze your toes, or let your toes hang over the end. Shouldn't fall off or dig anywhere.

• Anonymous October 31, 2011 at 7:08 pm

How did you do the DIY slimming? In the link you provided it said you took the shirt to your tailor to do it.

• Jacklyn October 31, 2011 at 8:16 pm

you have a great style! Iยดm petite too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jacklyn โ˜ฎโค from Alyยดs Book

• PetiteAsianGirl October 31, 2011 at 8:44 pm

@Anonymous Nice! I hope they work out for you! I go to Hemmingway Tailors all the way in Belmont, MA, but I don't think they are cheap! If you search my site for Hemmingway or tailor on the sidebar I usually list the prices I pay for alterations from them. I'm trying to do simple alterations myself and only bring quality items or stuff with lining to them.

@Anna If you're talking about button up dress shirts, those are the devil for certain body types. That's precisely why I stick to drapey polyester or silk blouses versus cotton or poplin button ups to avoid boxiness or bunchiness. Knits work too!

@lin Hi Lin I've only tried on the BR trench from one or two years ago so I don't remember anything about the fit. Many ladies were happy with Ann Taylor's khaki trench in petite sizing, but it's only restocked occasionally online. Maybe look for it in stores and see how the two compare?

@Michelle LOL! Omigosh, I'm currently at about 2 per week but I have to hide them under jackets from my coworker.

• Gayathri October 31, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Do you have any recommendations on how to dress business professional in the cold / snow? I'm from the West Coast, but I need to wear a suit in Boston next week and maybe walk around a bit. I don't know where to start though with shoes and even tights and clothes. ThankS!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 31, 2011 at 9:17 pm

@Phuong Yes it sucks to have unlined skirts ride against tights. I wear a slip but I need to alter it down because it's bunchy right now. I wonder if there are tips and tricks out there like rubbing a dryer sheet against tights or something, I'll scour Google : )

@1to24 Thanks for the tip! I tweeted it so hopefully someone will score them.

@KB It must be so tough in NZ! I don't know if Zara ships internationaly but their juniors TRF line runs small and I can wear some of the size S blazers. Also I don't know if ASOS ships to NZ but their US petite 1 or UK petite 4 is very small.

@ellenglo There's no style name on them but they're this shoe: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct;=j&q;=&esrc;=s&source;=productsearch&cd;=2&ved;=0CG8Q9gIwAQ&url;=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dnafootwear.com%2Fproduct.asp%3Fname%3DCity-Solid-Casual-Heeled-Rain-Boot—Black%26pfid%3DDNA02765&ctbm;=shop&ei;=vUevTp3XNuTF0AG-7tCtAQ&usg;=AFQjCNG5ACuDe9VNngZ4A53Wb9ca7zFqHw

There's no numerical sizing, either! Mine are a sz S and fits like a sz 6, I'd say.

@Christine The photo is slightly deceiving because when I tried on the 6's, my foot could move around a few millimeters. I don't like any room for movement at all in my shoes, unless they are meant to be worn with socks. For shoes that I expect to wear with nylons or black tights, I want them even snugger, otherwise the tights would cause feet to slip right out of shoes. I used to wear all my work clothes too big as well!

@Anonymous I stitched it in using my sewing machine pretty much following those dotted lines. My tailor charged about $15 which I thought was too much. Unfortunately my sewing doesn't look as nice as professional tailors from the inside!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm

@GayathriLucky for you I think the snow will melt by next week and we're supposed to have "lovely" 50-60 degree weather! In the winter I wear black tights (get mine at H&M;, 40den for partial opacity), black heels, and then you can wear a regular suit plus a coat. Bring black flats if you think you'll be walking around.

• Canadianpetite November 1, 2011 at 2:48 am

I saw a similar shade of a skirt while thrifting. I couldn't think of what to wear with it besides black or white so I left it. Also, it wasn't of the best material. I like how you style it though so if it's still there, I'll be sure to snap it up. Thank you!

Your bracelet seems similar to the one I thrifted in the summer.