• All About Belts: How to tie, hole punch, and store belts

Per your requests, I’ve compiled my favorite belt tips and tricks into one video. It was nice and awkward lying down while filming the trench-tying tutorial, but hopefully the neck strain and burning abs were worth it : )

Products mentioned: Belt Hole Puncher (a must have!) and Belt Ring Hanger
    You can also buy the hole puncher on eBay, or at Michaels or ACMoore. Be sure to look for coupons!
    What I’m wearing: Details in this outfit post. Nude nail polish is Zoya Shay.

The half bow loop for trench coat belts and longer fabric belts:

coatbelting

Burberry sz 2 short trench (similar) from this postBanana Republic Mad Men Leopard Pumps

And the simple loop for shorter/thicker fabric belts or skinny leather belts:

coatbelting1

Burberry sz 2 felted wool coat (2011 version), Theory slacks sz 00 (similar), Perfect Patent Pumps

Fellow coat lovers, please see my Burberry coat archives including my very first outfit post : )

60 thoughts on “All About Belts: How to tie, hole punch, and store belts

• I am Khatu October 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm

is this what you were doing yesterday? 🙂

• Julie Khuu October 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Love to see how to's on closet organization! Especially for us petite and tiny gals, that belt hole puncher is a wardrobe staple! You're always so on top of the best ways to save babe…Props!

xo-Julie
      Peace. Love. LOL!

• R.L. October 31, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Your vids have such personality and are so useful! Many thanks for going to the trouble to film that laying down, lol. I'm direction challenged and didn't get it until seeing it from that angle. I've actually always stayed away from belted coats bec I find the simple knots cumbersome but cinching in the waist makes a world of a difference. If JCrew ever restocks on their townhouse trench in camel 00P, I'm going to have to buy now!

• Lesley October 31, 2011 at 9:14 pm

THANK YOU, JEAN!! going to test the knot on the trench NOW (instead of cleaning house..haha).

• Mary Ann October 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Thanks for the vid! This gives me an idea of what to do with a new dress that has a trench-like tie w/ buckle on it!

• Cee October 31, 2011 at 9:25 pm

It's crazy talk, but learning how to tie the cute half-knot may be the final convincing I need to get that Burberry trench, hahaha. Jean! Look what you've done. I kid 🙂 Thank you for always being so helpful with your tips!

• tiffyama October 31, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for the tips! I recently got a trench coat from goodwill a few weeks ago. Will try out the belt tying method!

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) October 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Great video Jean! Love how you are always so informative!

• Sarah Stright October 31, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love this and I love your blog! You have such great style and ideas.
      xo,
      Sarah

• CL October 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for the tips! I never knew how to dealt with the floppy belt =p I would just keep circling the belt around..

• Michelle October 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Lol!!! I love your intro pic and was laughing so much at your "unsightly length" portion of the clip! Too cute!!

Your felted wool coat is gorgeous!!

Thanks for the tips! 🙂

• mai October 31, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Great tutorial! I'm going to have to try that with my trench coat!

• kileen October 31, 2011 at 11:49 pm

thanks for the tutorial, Jean!! i always wondered how to properly tie a trench coat and this tutorial was perfect! and the top-down view was definitely the most useful!

• Alexandra October 31, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hi, Jean. Just a personal curiosity: how many (and which) of the Burberry coats that you blogged about do you still have today?

• glo ♥ November 1, 2011 at 12:01 am

I'm so glad you posted this video, I've always had so much problems with my belts haha. Love you

• PetiteAsianGirl November 1, 2011 at 12:06 am

@I am Khatu How'd you guess? : )

@AlexandraHi Alexandra! In the 7 links of reviews/posts, I have kept: #2 black raincoat, #3 black wool coat, #4 blue/gray jacket, #7 khaki trench, and then I have one super warm toggle coat that I don't think has gotten any blog love yet!

• The Little Dust Princess November 1, 2011 at 12:26 am

I love how you tied the Burberry coat. I'll have to see if my Zara one is long enough to do so as well!! It definitely saves all that looping time!

For more belt (and other fashion) tips, I highly recommend Chriselle Lim. I LOVE this video and have been using the techniques she taught nonstop (specifically the fish & infinity loops). The fish loop is super adorable and the infinity loop is really cool if your belt is long enough. Have fun ;D

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ILTAhnLws

• Edwina November 1, 2011 at 12:36 am

Your tips are amazing! Love your coats as well!

• Anonymous November 1, 2011 at 1:01 am

Thanks for the video! I really appreciate your blog. I was just dealing with belt issues this morning, so the timing is perfect. 🙂

• Megan November 1, 2011 at 1:06 am

I've ALWAYS wondered what to do with my too-long belts on my coats! This is a life saver for this winter season! Thank you, Jean!!! 🙂 🙂

• La Professionnelle November 1, 2011 at 2:23 am

My belt hole punch is one of my favorite "tools" because I secretly punch holes into my boyfriend's belts without him noticing and then wear them with hipsters 😉

• happyroach November 1, 2011 at 3:03 am

i'v been DYING to figure out how to do the trench coat tie! thank you so much for demonstrating it (especially at the lying down angle! genius ;p)

• PetiteLittleGirl November 1, 2011 at 6:51 am

I am so in love with your felted wool coat. Thanks for the review, Jean. Your tips are always helpful and informative.

• lin November 1, 2011 at 8:02 am

great video and thanks for the tips. i'm gonna try the trench coat tying method once i receive my coat. lol. you have some nice burberry coat collection there…..i'm still on the lookout for mine. 😉

• dietingfashions November 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

Thank you for this video. It is very helpful. I have always seen those belt hangers and I probably have one somewhere. But I never knew what they are for. Also I need to run out and get belt hole puncher.

• withloveshmon November 1, 2011 at 10:19 am

awesomeee! very helpful 🙂

withloveshmon.wordpress.com

• Anonymous November 1, 2011 at 11:11 am

Jean, your videos are always so helpful. Thanks for taking the time…

• Anonymous November 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Jean, great video! I bought the belt punch after you showed it in a past post. I love it and have used it several times. Just recently to help my son with a Halloween costume that needed a belt around his head. Ha Ha Also, a tip I learned somewhere for that extra belt material, is to put those teeny tiny hair rubber bands around the belt and simply slip the extra through it. They come in packs of about 100 and come in clear, black and brown. I find they work really well. Patti

• Gini November 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

AWESOME video! Thank you!

• Anonymous November 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Do you have any tips on how to find the perfect trench coat for a petite woman who is 5'1? Thanks!

• My Dressy Ways November 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Jean, you always have the most useful tips! Thanks for all you do!

• Itsher November 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Hi Jean,

Can you do a blog entry / video about wearing business clothes during the winter season? I'm having a difficult time dressing for the colder weather 🙁

Thank You!

• Sue C. November 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Off to Michael's to purchase a belt hole puncher in my nicely tied trench coat. Thanks for the great informative video.

• Meg November 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

So simple and so chic – thank you!

• Anonymous November 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for this great video! I have several skinny belts that do not fit properly and the belt hole punch appears to be a must have. I am adding it to my list of things to get ASAP. Thanks again!

• Sarah November 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! The belt-tying tip was super helpful, and I love that it's simple to do and looks so chic.

• Melissa E. November 1, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Love your blog! Just came back from the mall & wanted you & other fellow petites to know that The Limited just started carrying dress trousers in Size 00 Short! They have got to be THE BEST fitting pants I have ever tried off the rack, which is pretty darn exciting for someone who hardly ever fits anything "as is", especially pants (I'm 5'3" & about 110). The price was a little steeper than what I'd typically pay ($74.90), but I had a 25% coupon & Limited has sales all the time & there was no way I was going to pass them up. When I asked the SA for any other pants in that size fully intending to buy them all lol, she informed me that they only came in that 1 color & style (Black, "Drew" fit). She said they're doing a kind of test run first to see how well they sell before deciding whether to offer 00 in other colors & styles.

So I figure we petites are always saying how we wish retailers would cater more to people our size- so here's our chance to show them that we are out there & more than willing to buy well made, attractive clothing that fits! I know it sounds like I work for the company but I promise I don't lol! I would just be really sad if I went back 6 months from now & they say that they stopped carrying that size b/c there wasn't a big enough market for it. So hopefully the pants work for some of the other ladies out there 🙂

• Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 1:31 am

General alert – I have snagged some GREAT petite finds in the Target girls department lately.

In particular they have some fabulous detailed cardis right now that are very well-proportioned and whose grown-up versions would be significantly more expensive.

I picked up this today in a girl's large. Just adorable and really nice detailing…fit perfectly.

I may go back and do some more plundering.

They also have some adorable coats for rock-bottom prices including some well proportioned if low end trenches.

• Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 2:35 am

Thanks jean for the knot tying video. I have always intrigued by the half knot on J Crew catalog and I finally got the tip. I immedately tried it on my trench and it looks fantastic. Thank you so much, you are always so informative!!!

• Café Bellini November 2, 2011 at 6:33 am

Brilliant, thank you! I have a couple of Burberry trench coats so I'll be trying out the 'bow' method!