• Hair Tutorial: Voluminous Puffy Bun

Per your requests, here’s a tutorial for the voluminous bun I’ve been turning to lately (to conceal unwashed hair). In this video I share my secrets for extra volume both at the crown of my head and in the bun itself.

Tools used:
    1. Velcro bumpit (search for “velcro bump” on eBay. Shipping took a few weeks.)
    2. Elastic and bobby pins for flyaways
    3. Teasing brush
    4. Goody Spin Pin (comes in dark or light)
    flathead2

For anyone who doesn’t know what a flat head means…allow the photos below to explain!flathead1

A flat head makes one (or me, at least) look very childish. An extra inch at the crown of the head makes any updo look a bit more elegant and mature.
    flathead1

117 thoughts on “Hair Tutorial: Voluminous Puffy Bun

• Ashley December 10, 2011 at 10:52 am

I'm a stylist and I always use a decent pomade for flyaways. You can get any brand really (I prefer Sexy Hair) but I promise it'll be your new favorite product.

• Anonymous December 11, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I have fine hair and also have the wispy hair problem. I use Moroccan Oil on towel dried hair and the Aveda Control Force hair spray to help with that.

• Carol January 12, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Thanks so much for this great tutorial! I watched it with my nine-year-old, petite Asian daughter with bum-length hair 🙂 We use the spin pins for her bun for ballet class with great success, but this is a much prettier bun for special events. We really love Goldwell "Unlimitor" spray wax for those flyways. I also like a clear brow gel on my own hair, but I don't use much since it does dry harder than a wax.

• Anonymous January 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

This video was so helpful! I was just wondering what salon you go to to get your haircut?

• MarianaLuisa January 29, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Great simple tutorial! I reaallly need to invest in one of those velco bump its!

• Truly Smitten March 6, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I just went through all of your videos and looooove your hair and make up tips!! Thanks for sharing and you are so dang cute!

• Tina April 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Loved it! Ordered the bumpit and spin pin immediately~~ 🙂

• tejl June 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Great tutorial! And I think you are beautiful 🙂

• Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 4:44 am

Hi Jean. I love the look and size of your Chanel earring in these photos.

Mind if you send me a close up look of the earring?
      my email is : greenteawasabi@gmail.com

Am between mind which Chanel earring to get right now, and this would really help 🙂 thanks.

• Jessica July 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm

LOVE the velcro bumpit, what a lifesaver! Now I want to go back to the Asian market and see if they have one. We were just there yesterday, but I am way too impatient to wait for shipping to buy it off ebay, haha. Thanks for the tips on the Goody twists too, I've been wanting to try them but wasn't sure if they worked as advertised. Maybe this week will be the start of no more flat hair for me. 🙂

• Anonymous September 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Hi! Just a quick question about the orange zippered box you have…where did you get it??? Thanks! Love your blog!

• Kristen Tam September 9, 2012 at 12:08 am

A good way to fix wiskies is using a brush and hairspray.. simply put hairspray on the brush and brush it into the wiskies.. it does the trick!

• Anonymous October 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Hi I love your hair. I live in Boston too, and was wondering where you got your hair cut? Thanks so much.

• Anonymous October 22, 2012 at 6:42 am

Hi there, I've just gone on ebay for the link you put up, but sadly they no longer sell it – too many people here buying it I think! What other similar ones are around on ebay?
      Thanks

• Anonymous November 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hi,

I was wondering where you got your CC earrings from?? Thanks!

• PinTutorials November 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Looks fantastic. Better than when I tried to do it.

• PinTutorials November 28, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Looks fantastic. Better than when I tried to do it.