• Brunch Favorite: DIY Striped Ruffle Dress Revisited

brunchstripes2

Dress: DIY using two H&M; t-shirts (DIY instructions here)
    Clutch / Crossbody Bag: H&M; Style# 568146  Watch: Michael Kors Jet Set
    11-12mm pearl studs: bought here for $5 (make sure to ask for white)
    One of my simple joys in life is a yummy al-fresco brunch, followed by lazy strolling along the streets of Boston. Now that I’m not studying anymore, I try to indulge in this every weekend. Yesterday I donned this slouchy little tee shirt dress for brunch with friends, but in these Talbots Metallic T-Strap Sandals. Heels do not fare well in Boston. We walked about three miles yesterday, from restaurant, to shops, to numerous places to get frozen treats. I can attest that the T-strap sandals are comfortable!

brunchstripes3
    Longtime readers may remember this dress. I spent $8 on two striped tees from H&M;, then slaved over my sewing machine to recreate this little number as seen on Tiffany (which at $267, was out of my price range for a casual shift). Over one year later, this is still hands-down my favorite casual dress!

Nick was inspired by my watch shopping and brought out his “vintage” Timex. JCrew is bringing vintage-styled Timex back into style, but why pay $200 when you can just dig out your old watch from high school? Fruits of my bargain-hunting labor = J.Crew tee ($7) + Chambray shorts ($7) + Keds sneakers ($24).
    brunchstripes

A few weeks ago we tried this Portuguese restaurant called The Neighborhood. Great brunch value, good ethnic variety, and bottomless tea for me and coffee for Nick. Even early in the morning, the wait was long so we snapped photos to kill time. And the slouchy dress makes an appearance yet again…
    neighborhood4 copy

Cardigan: Martin & Osa (similar in “warm mustard”) Heels: Aldo Bag: LV Speedy 25 Ring: YSL

neighborhood1 copy

Left: Assorted Portuguese fishcake and meat cakes  Right: Eggs & hash with fried bananas

neighborhood3

Tortoiseshell accessory love: Chanel Wayfarers Style # 5182 and Michael Kors Jet Set Watch

brunchstripes4
    The more I wear this dress, the more inspired I am to try new DIYs. When someone excitedly asks you where something is from, it feels wonderful to chirp in response, “I made it!”

38 thoughts on “Brunch Favorite: DIY Striped Ruffle Dress Revisited

• DSK Steph July 24, 2011 at 9:13 pm

It looks like you two are enjoying summer. πŸ™‚ Great blog post!

• Ella Pretty Blog July 24, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Cute outfit! Love how the belt and bag complement your new MK watch. I tried looking for that H&M; bag this weekend – but no luck (although I did find their j crew bubble necklace dupe in red!).

That bag is lovely – it's so simply constructed and looks like it costs a lot more πŸ™‚

• Tara July 24, 2011 at 9:17 pm

This is great! I love the yellow paired with blue!

• Really Petite July 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Gosh not sure if my comment came thru- I'm really starting to dislike blogger comments…

I do remember this DIY dress from last year- i love how you revived it with ur new clutch and shoes! You and Nick are so adorable:)

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) July 24, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Ahh lucky you're talented enough to even attempt DIY's. I don't even know how to sew a button back on – my husband does it for me hahahaha! I was thinking about taking some sewing lessons, if anything I'll save $ on hemming!

The photos you took of Nick turned out great Jean, I see he's not the only one with a great eye for photos πŸ˜‰

• Jennifer July 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm

How old are you Jean? I really have an issue of looking like I'm 13 when I'm already 18 πŸ™

• kileen July 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm

this DIY dress is gorgeous!! i need to try my hand at some DIYs too. and i love the tortoise accessories!

• Michelle July 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Aww! I remember that dress from last summer! I think I was just stumbling upon your blog, so too shy to comment at that time! :p

Loving the sunglasses!! Your whole look is so cute and summery!

• Liz July 25, 2011 at 12:16 am

You two both look so cute. I remember from some post that you went to college together in Boston or Cambridge or something? That is so sweet.

• questforfashionsense July 25, 2011 at 12:41 am

Food looks delicious! Great DIY dress (I, too, remember when you first posted about it!); you and Nick are a lovely couple, and yay to walking around Boston! That is definitely one of my favorite activities in Boston as well.

• Sharon July 25, 2011 at 2:25 am

I can't believe you created this dress with two shirts!! Impressive!

• Anonymous July 25, 2011 at 4:56 am

did u use any foam/hairspray on your hair?

• The Fashion Mood.com July 25, 2011 at 5:31 am

the dress is great ! good job !!

• β™₯ Natalie July 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

Wooow, what a beautiful dress! I really, really like it! With the yellow shoes and with the nude shoes! Both looks great! (:

• Helena Wang July 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Hi

I've been reading ur blog for a little while now, really like your style. It's so relatable and practical, yet so stylish.

I fell in love with leopard print after seeing ur youtube video on pairing with that leopard cardigan, lol.

• jeweliette July 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I think I have a mini crush on Nick, even though I have my own bf, hehe. πŸ™‚ Love the outfit as always, please include food pix next time!

• Anonymous July 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Hi Jean, I love this! Hope that you don't mind but I posted this pic of you on Pinterest. I can't wait to try this DIY myself. Cute, cute, cute! Patti

• Sunshine July 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm

hey, i love the little dimple in your first pix! πŸ™‚ i have a little "dent" when i smile a certain way too haha. it only makes an appearance once in a blue moon though…weird! πŸ˜€

i absolutely adore this diy. super cute for summer! oh bf & i love eating too (mostly me lol) so big YES on the food pix πŸ˜‰

• I am Khatu July 25, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I remember when I first saw this, I wanted to make my own but was too lazy… lol

• Kristin July 25, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I'm totally impressed with your DIY skills! Wonderful job! Also, I just tried on all of those Michael Kors tortoise shell watches and practically fell in love with each and every one of them. You made a great choice!

• Claud July 25, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I love the entire look. Great find on the ebay pearl earrings πŸ™‚ I have same style stud Earrings from qvc: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.J154666.desc.Honora-Sterling-Cultured-Pearl-100mm-Button-Stud-Earrings

• Denysia July 25, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Wow, love the look! πŸ™‚

• good girl gone blog July 25, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Ooh I've heard such great things about this restaurant. Can't wait to try it!

• Dollface_0023 July 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Thats such a gorgeus color and dress!

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2011 at 11:46 pm

@Claud Lovely! I bet those are better quality, but for the price I am super happy with these from ebay.

@Anonymous Thank you Patti! Of course I don't mind. I'm flattered!

@Anonymous I don't, but I'm having a lot of frizzies and flyaways after blowing my hair dry. Have any good recommendations?

@Jennifer Hi Jennifer – I have quite a few years on you, but I wrote a post here about how to look older: http://www.extrapetite.com/2010/05/reader-request-how-to-look-older-in.html

• ACC July 26, 2011 at 12:19 am

Fantastic DIY. You're so right – it is incredibly satisfying to don a project that you're proud of and be able to say (or simply know) that you made it. I'm hoping that blogging and continuing to see others' posts like this will keep me motivated to continue DIYing! Btw, brunch is totally the best.

• ShinyPrettyThings July 26, 2011 at 3:35 am

great diy!! so talented. and i love that MK watch

• Lydia July 26, 2011 at 9:54 am

All I can say is WOW!!! You are soooo talented and imaginative. Soooo fabulous! Fantastic DIY!

• Stacieee July 26, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I actually like your DIY version of the dress better than the original! That H&M; purse I was about to purchase but was hesitant because I didn't know if I would be able to match it up, but after seeing how you did it, i'm a bit inspired now.

• youngandfoolish July 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Totally remember this dress from the original post. Glad to see that it's still getting a lot of love!

I agree with DSK Steph about the purse. I get so much satisfaction from buying things that look expensive but are actually just great dupes. πŸ™‚

Quick question: what's your opinion on Zara? I haven't seen you blog that much on it so I was just curious. πŸ™‚ I usually find their stuff a bit pricy for the quality, but every now and then I score something great on sale.

-Amy

• R.L. July 26, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Loved this DIY dress last year and I think you've made it look even better with a belt and your accessorizing. And kudos to Nick for bringing back his old Timex! …That actually leads me to a request for a possible future post. I'm a huge clothing pack rat, mainly because I've been the same size since early junior high. (I know most petites can relate!) But I've actually been able to successfully shop in my own closet because of it. I'm always saying to myself, "but this may come back in style!" Maybe you can share tips on how you decide whether or not to let an item go?

• lica July 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

this is the cutest post ever. love the girl+boy outfit post. and i totally dig the watch. ive been rockin the tortoise ray bans for two seasons now. and i cant find anything to replace them!

• Canadianpetite July 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

@Ella Pretty Blog
      Look in Divided section. It also comes in dark green.

• m July 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm

great choice on the tortoise watch! i saw a smaller one at bloomies the other day, but it was AFTER i already purchased the two-toned one online from the nordstrom anniv sale. d'oh! i'll have to get my hands on one next time. for now, i need to get used to wearing a watch =P. would love to see more of your diy projects!

• Anonymous July 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm

please do a makeup/hair/skincare tutorial =))

• Anonymous July 28, 2011 at 2:43 am

i usually use a leave-on conditioner from garnier to help w/ flyaways+frizziness. i use the 'sleek n shine'

• Janine aka J-Ezzy @ *La Dolce Vita* July 29, 2011 at 11:40 am

haha, i'd feel chirp in responding that too! loooove the dress! and the last shot with your shades and watch, TDF, love love love. you and your man are so adorable taking shots with each other πŸ™‚

• jen April 22, 2012 at 3:06 am

i love this dress jean! do you think you'll be pulling it out again this coming season? :]

jen