Trench Quest, Part III (& final!) – Burberry Harbourne Trench

Dress: Ann Taylor   Coat: Burberry Harbourne sz 2 (similar in petites from BR)
Low heels: Aldo (similarBelt: F21  Ring: YSL Coral Arty  Clutch: Chanel WOC

My love for outerwear dates back to when I first moved to Boston. At times, the cold and precipitation here made me downright depressed, but a pretty coat would bring a little joy on gloomy days. The first time I ever set foot inside a Burberry store, I tried on a “Harbourne” trench. The amazing Newbury St SA, John, gushed about how slim it was cut, how it could be styled so many ways, and how much care went into making it, the stitching, and the meticulous waterproofing process…yada yada. I drank it all up. Even though I was decked out in abercrombie kids and clearly had no capacity to buy, he was very kind to me and wrote down the style name on a lil’ card (which I still have after 4 years).

Last year, my mind went back to the idea of finding the perfect, classic, double-breasted trench. I think a trench is a wardrobe staple for women of all ages. Even though I knew that a great coat was hanging at the Burberry store, I wanted to try on a sale option from their more affordable line (Brit) and a kids one, to see if satisfaction could be achieved while saving some money. Enter, my past reviews:

Part I – Burberry “Brit” Petites Trench
Part II – Burberry Kids Mini Ivybridge Trench

But alas, I wasn’t impressed by either option at those prices. Since classic trenches are always available at retail price and didn’t seem to be increasing in price (a la Chanel), I was in no hurry to buy.

Imagine my delight when I discovered that the “Harbourne” trench was part of Bloomies’ private sale this month. To sweeten the deal, I had the good fortune of winning a shopping spree earlier this year. Nick and I agreed to spend the spree cautiously like we do with our own money. Despite having had the gift card for months, his only purchase is a $7 pair of shorts, and mine – this coat.

Picture 168
Fit: Burberry only offers petite sizing in the US via Nordstrom. However, the petite selection is very small and doesn’t necessarily fit better. Their regular US sz 2 (smallest size) is actually cut pretty slim, so I recommend going to the Burberry retail store for the best selection and shopping experience. Possible alterations needed on this coat are shortening of the sleeves, and slimming of the torso and sleeves. If you buy at the retail store at full price, all alterations are free.
Although the sleeves don’t bother me too much right now, one alteration that I do need immediately on this coat is moving the belt loops up 2~3 inches. The Harbourne is designed to be a shorter coat on a regular-height woman, so the belt loops sit low on my hips and make my bottom half look shorter (see upper left photo). This can be a common issue when petite women wear regular-length coats. Moving the belt loops up a little with fix the proportion issue.
Measurements: 16.5″ across at the underarms, 15.5″ across at the waist, 20″ across the bottom. 33″ total length, 24″ sleeve length, 5″ sleeve width, 13.5″ shoulder width.
Material: 65% poly, 35% cotton. Lined in large check. If I had to nitpick, I wish it didn’t have black buttons (but I suppose buttons can be replaced).

Before I sign off, I wanted to share this comment from a reader on my last post:

Picture 169
Dear Anonymous, you are certainly not alone and not doomed in the fashion world. This is a topic that I feel strongly about. Although I admittedly enjoy designer pieces, I feel they should never define one’s style. I crazy admire women who mix and match and look fabulous using creativity, versus those who plaster themselves with labels and have no personal style.
If you have financial constraints, I recommend making a list of wardrobe foundation pieces that suit your personal lifestyle (ie. for me that was a tailored sheath dress, a blazer, dark blue jeans, a warm coat, etc). Shop deliberately for these items, keeping an eye out for quality and fit. After you find winners, search online for sales & coupon codes or scour eBay to get the best deal. Accessories from places like Target, F21, and thrift stores (my personal fave) are a great way to style your outfits without breaking the bank.
Readers – Please share your own thoughts or advice!

66 thoughts on “Trench Quest, Part III (& final!) – Burberry Harbourne Trench

• Belle Muse June 30, 2011 at 12:36 am

I agree with that! I just need to decide what key pieces to my wardrobe ARE, I think that for me if I find something I may think is a staple then I buy it. A little bit backwards πŸ™‚

• kileen June 30, 2011 at 12:44 am

this trench looks great on you! what a great buy. the sleeves do look a little long but you can't really tell when it's scrunched up a bit. and i love your hair like this! very mod and chic. πŸ™‚

• cryskay June 30, 2011 at 12:48 am

congrats on the burberry harbourne. it fits you superb! i couldn't have said it better myself regarding style & designer pieces. it's always more fun to mix and match highs & lows. although i'm not petite, i love your blog!

• Aubrey June 30, 2011 at 12:52 am

I LOVE this trench on you!! You look like a celebrity ;D The first picture is my favorite. So glad you finally found your trench. =)

Oh, and as for the reader's question – there are great lower priced shops for wardrobe staples.

Topshop and H&M; are great for blazers, jackets, random amazing finds. Topshop is overall pricey, but I've found quite a few gems at great prices – you just have to check the "New In" section OFTEN because the gems sell out within a day or two, I've noticed.

Forever21 has some surprisingly awesome stuff.

Modcloth, Macy's (picked up 2 maxis for $20 each) & JCPenney, Target, thrift stores, Aldo, Etsy stores (I find a lot of cute quality jewelry pieces there).

Style has nothing to do with brands and everything to do with colours, prints, textures – how you pair them and accessorize them.

Callandra was the absolute perfect example, Jean. Kendi, from Kendi Everyday, also always sports affordable options and her 30×30 really shows you how to stretch those options.

• Cadrommy June 30, 2011 at 12:56 am

Yay! A post! πŸ™‚ Jean I have to say, I have major hair envy. You're hair is thick and so healthy looking! After two kids and age I have lost a lot of mine. The trench is perfect for you, absolutely beautiful and classic. I love that you waited so patiently and finally scored it at a great price. So much like me except I'm not in the hundred dollar jacket realm yet. I don't buy expensive pieces but in my office, my reputation is 'the stylish one" my clothes aren't designer and most of the time even brand name but i know my style and I'm also willing to try new things – that I know are my style. I see bloggers like you and Taylor over at Sterling style who incorporate inexpensive items into their wardrobe and look more put together than designer clad people. It's all about knowing yourself and what works and having your personal style. One item can look so different depending on how you style it. I have a limited wardrobe but it looks like I have a lot because I rarely wear the same piece twice the same way. Unless I'm just feeling lazy!

Typing this on my iPhone because I couldn't sleep so I hopped on twitter and saw your link to this so I apologize if there are a ton of typos and errors! But I had to comment rigth now! Lol. πŸ™‚ g'nite!

• Eve June 30, 2011 at 12:57 am

I lovethe color combination!
    Great advice for budget shopping!:)

• Quest for Fashion Sense June 30, 2011 at 1:00 am

I've seen many bloggers who have great style with items that are thrifted or are from Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx, etc.

I've always appreciated that you mix in your Target and F21 finds along with your designer pieces.

My splurges, if they can be called such, are suits (for work) and my Ann Taylor Perfect Patent Pumps.

I'm afraid I fall into the camp that neither has designer items nor personal style, but I would definitely rather develop the latter than the former. ;D

• gold N turquoise June 30, 2011 at 1:03 am

gah! this trench is amazing! the fit is divine.

great tips on petite style that doesn't break the bank. you do mix lots of high end items with items from Target & Forever 21, which is greatly appreciated.

unfortunately, suiting and other professional wardrobe pieces will be expensive. however, these items are investments and a flattering fit never go out of style.

• Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 1:29 am

what college did you attend, jean? boston's chock full of them!

• nicole June 30, 2011 at 1:32 am

You look gorgeous, Jean! Love that trench on you. I have the same problem with trench sleeves; why are they so long? Any way, I love how you wore it with that navy striped dress. Classic all the way! I still have to settle for my Zara trench until I save up for a Burberry one myself. In the meantime, I shall vicariously wear one through you πŸ˜‰

• B.Inspired June 30, 2011 at 1:38 am

I've been eyeing the Harbourne Trench for a while trying to decide between that or the Manston! I have the Irene with a liner from years ago, it is nice but I don't love it! In response to your reader, look for high quality materials and good construction when shopping at H&M;, Forever 21 because I've found cotton dresses lined with invisible zippers at those stores for under $35. Properly caring for your items will ensure the longevity and keep it looking fresh! Spend more on classics that will stand the test of time!

• Sophie June 30, 2011 at 2:08 am

I think I know the SA that you are talking about. Is it John? I recently bought a Burberry trench at the Newbury store and he was super nice and informative.

The trench coat looks great on you!

I completely agree that fashion is not all about the labels. It is how you mix and match and still look amazing.

• Corrie Anne June 30, 2011 at 2:50 am

• Maggie June 30, 2011 at 2:50 am

Wow! The trench looks fantastic on you :)! After you post on trying the kids' Burberry trench, I went to the states to the nearest Neiman Marcus so I could try one on too. Unfortunately, I was swimming in it. I'm so glad to see that you have finally found one that works for you… I don't think I'm ready to shell out for an investment piece like this though!

• DSK Steph June 30, 2011 at 3:05 am

You look incredible in your new trench! It's perfect. πŸ™‚

• Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 6:32 am

Hi Jean, This classic trench looks fantastic on you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it with us. You also look stunning with this darker eye make-up.

• Jenny June 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

You look so lovely! I have been eyeing a Burbery trench for years but could never bring myself to pull the trigger. Is the sale still going on or did I miss it? How did you know about the sale? Was it advertised?

• β™₯ Natalie June 30, 2011 at 9:00 am

Awesome trenchcoat! I love it!! β™₯
    And the dress under it is so cute *_*

• Suzanne M. June 30, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hi there! I've enjoyed discovering your blog! I'm petite, not as petite as you, but I definitely can relate!

I wanted to comment on the "anonymous" comment about cost of clothes. I'm with you! I just can't do high-end brands at the high-end costs. The way I find great clothes (even high-end brands) for less is pretty simple, SALES. I can't even remember the last time I bought a piece of clothing full price. I always go for the sale racks in whatever store I go in – Nordstrom, Ann Taylor, LOFT, or Dillard's. I have purchased a $90 Ann Taylor necklace for $7 and change because it was a "final sale" item with extra 40% off. It can be done, but you have to be patient and be willing to take the time to dig in the sale racks.

• Cee June 30, 2011 at 9:31 am

Oh man, you and Nick have such great self-restraint! I'd be going crazy if I had a shopping spree on my hands πŸ™‚ I'm glad you waited for this trench — the color is the perfect shade of khaki. Can't wait to see it post-alterations!

Many others already offered great suggestions to Anonymous' question, so I don't have much more to add. I do want to suggest J's Everyday Fashion if your reader hasn't come across her blog before. I don't believe J wears anything above $250 and most of the time she sticks to items < $50, but still maintains a great sense of style. I may be in the minority on this, but I firmly believe if someone really, really wants designer items, one can save up for it. It may take a few months or a few years, but I do think it's possible. Good luck!

• Nelah June 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

Your new trench coat is a winner, I love it all around.

One doesn't have to look good, stylish or chic because one wears or carries high end designer pieces. Like you said if a person don't know how to style, there is no point. I can see ton of bloggers who look effortlessly chic in Forever21 clothes and accessories. It is all about creativity. Designer items should be something you TRULY love and want, not just because it is cool to own one or everyone else has it. You will appreciate it a whole lot more when you work and save money for it.

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) June 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

That trench looks great Jean! I never thought about moving belt loops up but it makes a huge difference! Good tip πŸ™‚

I can relate to your reader's comment. I agree that if you really, really want something you can save up for it but for me there is also the matter of the item fitting into my lifestlye and if I am able to take care of it!

I think it's more important as you mentioned to be able to create your own stlye from a mix of pieces or even if they are all in the same price range rather than wearing a bunch of stuff with a designer's name on it. I am no fashionista and truch be told many of the ladies that CAN afford the desinger items…I don't really "get" their style anyway! πŸ˜›

• elleandish June 30, 2011 at 10:27 am

Such a beautiful coat πŸ™‚ I'm happy to see you've finally ended your trench quest! After buying a nice Banana Republic trench from a trip to Boston I feel satisfied. πŸ˜€

And about the anonymous reader comment: After a few years of tracking my spending, I've noticed that most of my wardrobe consists of pieces I bought within the last 3 years, and most have been cheap. Clothes keep coming and going. I wish I had the discipline to stop this cycle and follow your advice: quality, timeless pieces. All that money I spent just goes to waste (or to Crossroads)!

And I'm a big believer in thrift and DIY πŸ™‚ I hope that anonymous commenter can get some great ideas from your post comments! <3

• R.L. June 30, 2011 at 10:28 am

So chic! I love the shorter length of the trench and I think it really works for petites. I've found that coats that go past 3/4th thigh just makes me look even shorter. I can't wait to see what it looks like after alterations! Lol @ Nick only getting $7 shorts. Oh boys!

To Anonymous: Some of my favorite pieces have ended up coming from "cheap" places like H&M; or F21. I would recommend checking out 9to5 Chic in addition to the other suggestions. Yes, she has a lot of designer pieces but she also shops at F21 and H&M; and the way she styles things I wouldn't be the wiser! Plus many "higher-end" items can often be purchased during sales for a really good deal. The fun of discovering a good deal also makes the item more well-loved for me. πŸ™‚

• Jane Squared June 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hi PAG! I've been following your blog for quite sometime, but have never actually commented… I guess that makes me a lurker. πŸ™‚ But, I've actually been on a search for a Burberry trench, as well. I was so close to purchasing the Warhead ((
    ), but I think it was a little too long for my frame.

My SA at Burberry (Oakbrook) also told me that the only free alteration would be to shorten the sleeves… I'm wondering if that's just at my closest Burberry location, though. hm.

I actually picked up this trench at Bloomie's on your tip about the sale, and I've yet to make a final decision, but I think i'm keeping it! It looks super cute on you!

• Ashley June 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

This coat looks gorgeous on you. Even better with the small alteration tweaks you plan on making. You have such an eye for those things. I think that's one my problems, I have a hard time seeing past the small details that need to be made.

• Claud June 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Gorgeous outfit Jean. Burberry coats are amazing. My eyes also were drawn to the scarf…love the color (from where?). Oh and your hair style look so sophisticated and very elegant …so pretty ^^

• Bruna Correa June 30, 2011 at 1:16 pm

beautiful trench. I loved it!

• Janice Liao Shiao June 30, 2011 at 1:18 pm

You look gorgeous! Great buy! A Classic to last forever!

• Neris June 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm

You look wonderful! Love your trench! First time on your page and already love it!

Fashion Fractions

• Ping June 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm

jean– you look so gorgeous in that coat! so glad you found one that fits with minimal alterations and at such a good deal! it's cute that you and nick are cautious about spending your winnings. if it was up to me, the gift card would be been depleted very long ago. lol!

• cinnyangel June 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Definitely a keeper. Will last you a long time and will always be a classic.

Btw, I love your make up in this post. Makeup tips for this look?

• AubreyOhDang! June 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm

That Nick…he is a selfless man.

You know my favorite part to a Burb trench? the collar. Let's breath a sigh of relief that the search has ended. I'd still love to see everything post alterations, so mb an update post is in order?

To anon, don't compare yourself or your income or budget or living expenses to others. You do what you can with what you got. Just try to look good while doing it. Don't envy, appreciate. And if that doesn't work out, keep on buying lottery tickets or raise the %age of your 401K and someday, if you dream big enough, you will be able to buy the item of your dreams.

• banclothing June 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm

You cannot go wrong with a classic trench. I personally love the black buttons over the light ones. I think a good trench is ones of the pieces I can justify spending more on. It's classic, doesn't go out of style and looks fantastic on.

• LitLaur June 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Lovely! Someday I'll find a great trench for myself.

This post has some good advice for bargain shopping:

I love Target for basics like tanks, tees and leggings. They tend to carry certain styles year after year (I keep buying their long & lean tanks), updating with new colors from season to season. Plus, sometimes their Go International pieces run small, great for us petite ladies.

I usually splurge on bottoms (jeans, trousers, skirts) because fit is so important. I love jeans, but there are only so many different styles of denim that actually look good. Currently in rotation I have two pairs of dark, slim bootcut jeans (short inseam for flats and longer inseam for heels), one pair of dark skinny jeans and one bootcut pair in a lighter wash. So I rely on more budget-friendly tops and accessories to add variety to my wardrobe.

If you really want a designer item, especially something classic like a trench, do yourself a favor and save up for it. Going back to the jeans example, I could spend $200 on 4 pairs of American Eagle jeans that I feel so-so about and end up donating to Goodwill because the fit is saggy in the butt, or save for one really great pair of Paige jeans that I love. (Not dissing AE, their jeans just don't fit me well.)

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a well-made knockoff, but I avoid items with logos. Aficionados will know it's not legit, and obvious logos usually aren't a good look anyway.

• Angie June 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

congrats jean on finding that perfect coat! it is much more flattering on you than previous burberry finds and i must say you look so sophisticated especially with the hairstyle.

• Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Love the trench- it'll look great when the alterations are finished, I'm sure! Alterations are something I've come to accept are necessary (yet still somehow dread) with almost all of my "dress" clothes, but it's so wonderful to get suggestions about the best way to "downsize" clothes.

Anonymous, as for lusting after high-priced clothing and designer items, I know I do all the time! I love to use a great bag as inspiration and often find similar colors and shapes in much more affordable venues. There are ways to find great deals and scores on some wonderful designer duds, especially if you are willing to buy gently used.

Look for high-end resale/consignment shops and even Goodwill's in nice neighborhoods. It sounds funny, but I can't tell you how many jcrew, ann taylor, twinkle, Salvatore Ferragamo, and banana republic clothes and accessories I've found at Goodwill Stores in nice neighborhoods that have never been worn! I've also scored well-loved LV's and other designer bags at crazy low prices at vintage resale shops. It's work and can be time-consuming… but it's worth it to build a wardrobe that you love. I love to use these wonderful fashion blogs as a starting point- they do a great job (Jean in particular πŸ™‚ of putting together great outfit ideas!

• Callandra June 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm

So many things to say………first of all, Yay! Your search is over and I love this trench! I would love to see pics again after you've had alteration done though (if you get a chance). Secondly, loving your hair in this post, how cute is that?! …And lastly, thanks so much for the shout out πŸ˜‰ Def true I am not rich and my items are certainly not designer but I still enjoy them every bit as much as if they were! hee

• Kassia June 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm

You are so gorgeous Jean! I'm so happy I got to meet you. I am totally lovin' your outfit!

• Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 7:58 pm

hi jean! im going on my 1st job interview tomorrow. pls give me some tips! im really nervous on what they're about to ask me!

• MamaTamTam June 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love the trench Jean! Thanks for including the reader comment from Anonymous. I enjoy reading your blog because you always incorporate fashion and budget – something that I strive to do too.

• Li from Oz June 30, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Love your blog even though I'm everything but petite. πŸ™‚

Really like your photos. The trench is beautiful (also on my to-buy list), but what strikes me most is your gorgeous eye make up! I've recently strated to get into eye make up but still searching for a look that suits me. I would be really grateful if you could do a tutorial (either video or just photos) on this look. I have watched lots of youtube videos but most of them are not for the Chiense eyes (yes I have Chinese eyes, double eyelid but small, eye lids started to "drop"/or a bit puffy due to ageing… ).

Please please please, this is my first time commenting because it's very important for me. Thank you so much!

• mew mew June 30, 2011 at 10:59 pm

The coat looks fantastic on you, beautiful! πŸ™‚

mew mew

• Jackie June 30, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Agreed! I think it's actually fun being broke (sometimes) lol I like to rummage through trift stores and see if I can find things that fit my personal style. It's kind of fun to be creative instead of buying designer pieces all the time.

• Vivian July 1, 2011 at 1:43 am

I agree with your Jean! (= Because I too don't have that kinda money to go and purchase retail prices from designer stores. So I always wait for Sales and coupons till I go out & purchase something. Sometimes it still is kinda pricy for me even when I have coupons or it's on sale, if it's on my fashion wish list & I know I will love it and wear it to death, I will buy it. Some things come in cheap where I live, but the quality & style kinda sucks. Since I've found Jean's blog & channel, I've been inspired to invest in things that are in good quality, fits me well, and I can rock and get my money's worth versus buying many cheap stuff & not feel confident in them. I say keep searching until you feel confident & no second thoughts about your purchase because if you love it you will definitely wear it till it's worn out and got your money's worth, it's a great feeling (= It's just in a matter of patience, especially for petites like us because our sizes are hard to find & because of that sometimes things for us are marked up, but that doesn't mean we need to give up in finding our style we can strut in & make us confident.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 1, 2011 at 7:25 am

@Anonymous Wish I saw this earlier! I've been planning a post w/ interview tips!

For today, I'm sure you're all set but here are my last minute tips – make sure to have questions prepared for your interviewer to show that you've done your research and know your stuff about the company and job position. Questions for them shows initiative, and so many candidates have NO questions which can rub interviewers the wrong way. Secondly, take advantage of the "tell me about yourself" question and prepare some relevant info to truly showcase your education, experience, etc, and throw in an interesting fact. Lastly, don't forget a thank you note after the interview! Sooner the better. Good luck – you'll do great!

• PetiteAsianGirl July 1, 2011 at 7:38 am

You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for your kind words, and for sharing your own tips and stories. I hope anon got some good advice out of this because I certainly did.

@Quest for Fashion Sense Lol! I am sure you do not fall into that "camp" ! Most women don't give themselves enough credit for having style. Suits are the most worthy investments because you can wear them weekly without being judged : ) And you know I loove my AT perfect pumps! Great investments.

@gold N turquoise You are right professional pieces are very expensive, even when on sale. I love my Theory outlet finds but they were all splurges. I will say though that I also have favorite work pieces from H&M…you; just have to have a keen eye for the fabric quality.

@Anonymous Yes tons of schools here…I did my undergrad at BU.

@B.Inspired I poked around at the Burb store yesterday and didn't see the Manston! I'm also not too familiar with the Irene (but I do love coats w/ liners). My SA was telling me about the "Buckingham" which comes in cotton trench, nylon, and wool cashmere for the same price ($995ish) and it's the "sister" of the Harbourne or something. Have you tried that one?

@Sophie Omg yes! I share your comment with him yesterday. You must post about your new purchase!

@Maggie Aw, how unfortunate! The kids ones are tempting because of the lower price point, but the cut is NOT right for us women. Whenever or whereever you end up getting your trench you will probably need it tailored a bit, but it's worth the alterations!

@Anonymous Thank you! I think I just accidentally went a little heavier on the shadow : )

@Jenny Unfortunately no…it's over now. The coat specifically wasn't advertised but they had a store-wide sale going on for certain items. On a whim I decided to ask the SA to scan it. She was adamant about it not being included in the sale, but lo and behold it was 40% off. I tweeted and posted about it immediately hoping that interested readers could check it out in time.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 1, 2011 at 7:57 am

@Suzanne M. I completely agree, I love love sale scores, but it does take patience AND luck. LOFT and AT are especially great though because of their inventory locating system (too bad final sale items are excluded from the system, but I've definitely called around before to find a pair of trousers that were $5.88)!

@Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) You bring up an interesting point that I agree with – some ladies that are decked out in designer items and are considered trendy-fashionable – I too don't "get" their style sometimes and it's just as wearable or practical. Hence I adore bloggers who mix and match their designer with bargain finds.

@elleandish I know you're the queen of thrifting! And I like your creative DIY's : )

@R.L. The fun of discovering a deal (or hard work that goes into hunting it down, lol!) definitely make the item more precious to me!

@Jane Squared Hi Jane! Thanks so much for delurking and saying hello! : ) Hmm, I've heard the same thing from some women about their Burb stores refusing non-simple alterations, and it confuses me. Is it a small store without on-site tailors? I'm guessin that might be it. In Boston we have two Burberry stores – one big one with several floors and a group of tailors that actually work on-site. Then we have a smaller store where there are no tailors and they probably only offer simple alterations, because tailors have to be there to custom-pin and fit you. That's a huge bummer because you should be entitled to all alterations necessary (they won't take in shoulders though). Please please post your trench on your blog! I'd love to see it. And oh, we can help you decide if you're on the fence : )

• PetiteAsianGirl July 1, 2011 at 7:57 am

@Claud Thanks, Claud! It's a heavenly soft Gucci silk scarf but I got it from a "Fillene's Basement" for about $20!

@Ping LOL, honestly, it's because the Bloomies here doesnt' really offer "fun" brands in shoes or handbags. If it were a Nordstrom g/c that would be gone by now.

@cinnyangel Thank you! This is just my everyday look with bronzer/blush and eyeshadow/liquid liner, but I accidentally went a little heavier on the black eyeshadow around the lids and upper corners of my eyes!

@AubreyOhDang! LOL "let's breathe a sigh of relief…" Yes Nick is selfless, but he has a rationed portion so he's spending it at his leisure. He joked that my half will disappear with the purchase one item, whereas his half will "clothe him for the rest of his life…"

@LitLaur Such great advice! Thank you for sharing. I too have spent so much money (that adds up) on mediocre items that would be donated due to botched alterations or just ill fit, when that money could've gone towards one awesome investment item.

@Anonymous Thank you for sharing! I feel the same way towards alterations, despite having gotten probably a hundred things altered in my lifetime. I still dread it because it's never guaranteed that it will come out right. And I too love buying gently-used items. It's definitely less than retail, plus a quality item should prove iteself in how well it's held up from being preowned.

@Callandra Your blog is a wonderful inspiration to me! I'm sure you know I didn't point it out for having anything to do with rich or not rich, it's just that you shop at such a wide variety of places with all different price points, and pull it all together to create fresh and unique looks day after day.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 1, 2011 at 8:07 am

@Li from Oz Hi Li! My eye makeup is very simple – I use a liquid eyeliner, a taupe eyeshadow as a base, and a dark brown/black eyeshadow to prevent the liquid liner from looking to stark and harsh. These photos are enhanced by false eyelashes which I don't wear during the week. I won't be doing a tutorial soon because I have nothing new to share, but I'm using this process: but with added eyeshadow as in this old video. I just went a little heavier on the dark shadow. I have the same slightly droopy lids that you speak of, and at times it takes slightly more shadow or wider eyeliner to allow the eyemakeup to even show up under the puffy lids.

@Vivian Thank you Vivian! And great advice! I think that even for those who can afford to purchase at retail, it's not wise to do so. Almost everything will go on sale, or be able to be purchased at a discount. Even Chanel, Louboutins, etc, are available with small discounts if you open a department store credit card or something, so it's very hard for me as well to pay retail for anything.