• Petite Lookbook: Crochet and the Blues

A few weeks ago I saw this darling skirt on ModCloth and fell in love. It had poor reviews, but upon a closer read, I saw most purchasers were just disgruntled at how small/short it ran (jackpot!). The skirt was sold out then, so I signed up for a restock notification. Last week, an S popped back, and I pounced.
    wmsocialhour

Top: Converse for Target chambray shirt, sz XS (taken in) (buy here)
    Jacket: H&M; sz 2   Belt: came w/ Forever 21 shorts
    Skirt: Social Hour Skirt sz S courtesy of Modcloth
    Shoes: I.N.C. (old) (similar here
    Bag: B.R. Satchel (old)

For those of you who aren’t familiar with ModCloth, it’s an online retailer founded by a husband-and-wife team who love thrift shopping for vintage finds. A lot of their apparel is hand-picked from smaller, indie designers, and they also have true vintage finds up for sale. New arrivals are updated daily, and the cutest items sell out fast. Shipping is a $7 flat rate, and return shipping is free.

wmsocialhour1

On this sunny but brisk afternoon, I grabbed my trusty chambray shirt and layered on an H&M; woven blazer (recent, $34.95). A bright satchel added another dimension of blue, and juicy orange nails brought a spark of interest. I stuck with earthy brown accessories to tie the look together.

This is the same top/belt ensemble as my last outfit post, which just shows how versatile & loved they are.

wmsocialhour4

I realize low-heeled shoes with busy ankle straps do nothing for short legs, but I don’t mind. I love the casual-chic look of ankle straps plus the comfort of these low wedges.

wmsocialhour3

For a size S, this skirt runs small but still does not fit me perfectly. It fits similar to a size S from Forever21, and sits lower on my hips. I’m using a wide elastic belt to hold it up higher. This causes bunchiness problems with the lining as I walk, but I still don’t feel compelled to get alterations.

wmsocialhour5

For those interested in a dressier, more conservative rendition of this skirt, check out the Ann Taylor Factory (outlet store). My special visitor Jen and I had a field day with these. The skirt retails for $89 and the dress retails for $198 (awfully high for the outlet, I know), but the crochet is heavy and gorgeous in person. When Ann Taylor (regular) came out with this last year, it sold out within days.

The sales weren’t too stellar this weekend, and alterations are going to be costly, but I brought this dress home with me to contemplate.

53 thoughts on “Petite Lookbook: Crochet and the Blues

• SewPetiteGal April 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I wanted that AT lace dress soooo badly when it first came out! Love the outfit post and you/Jen look so cute – I bet you had fun shopping 🙂

• Really Petite April 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Cute outfit Jean! I just bought a cute lace skirt at h & m this wknd…not sure if it's as cute as urs:-)

• The Little Dust Princess April 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I love how your outfit looks with the blazer! I bought that blazer a couple of weeks ago and Elaine has the same one as well! haha I also adore your bag. Looks similar to one of my dream bags (Mulberry Alexa). I like how the shoulder strap hangs low. : )

Cute pics with Jen!! I love seeing blogger meet-up pics! 😀

• audreybella April 10, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I bought the AT Factory skirt this past week. I love it and the dress too but I couldn't pass up the pencil skirt! My first thought was to pair it with my chambray shirt. You look fab in the Mod Cloth skirt. Hope the AT dress works out for you.

• Claud April 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I love this look so gorgeous simply chic Jean! I'm in absolute love with lace/crochet these days. The skirt is amazing, I love it. Too bad they are not more left in size S 🙁

• Leena April 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm

jean the skirt is so feminine and pretty! and you've got some great legs lady!

• Ping April 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm

jean — ahh the skirt is so pretty on you and i love how you styled it with the chambray shirt! and such gorgeous outdoor photos…it been kinda cold here so i been insisting on taking photos indoor which is really boring. heehee
      you and jen are so cute. you guys are so petite!!!

• ellen m. April 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm

ahh its jen from frmheadtotoe!! you guys look like twins!! haha i love the crochet and blues look<3

• miss wiggle April 10, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Oy! This blog makes me want to be extra-petite. LOL~

• Michelle April 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I love your new skirt!

Oh! I hope you decide to alter the Ann Taylor dress…so pretty!

I love seeing you and Jen together! So cute!!

• Alterations Needed April 11, 2011 at 12:00 am

What a fun shopping trip! Did you ladies buy anything else while shopping? I'm not a big fan of white crochet clothing…I guess I saw too many crochet doilies at my grandma's house that I'm now ruined forever. 😛

• prosephina April 11, 2011 at 12:24 am

OO very pretty! I'm hooked on that lace AT skirt ever since one of your blog post featuring your friend wearing it! Your Modcloth skirt is beautiful too!

• Winnie* April 11, 2011 at 12:53 am

The skirt is definitely a buy! It fits so well on you (more like you pull it off so well!) I love the pop of blue too! It is interesting to see such a 'new' blue with the 'retro' jean blue 🙂

You and Jen look so cute like twins haha. Boston was extremely nice out this past weekend! Hope Jen had a great stay and you both had a wonderful time!

• Jen April 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

The first photo is particular gorgeous, the combo of you the model and the photographer. :]

• Midori April 11, 2011 at 1:41 am

oh damn that skirt needs to be in my closet. i bet the small would fit me well. too bad it seems to be sold out 🙁

are you holding jen's skirt waist back in your first dressing room photo! trickery! ha!

• Megan April 11, 2011 at 1:59 am

Love the skirt! But….is it just me, or is it a bit see through in the photos?
      Great combo with the chambray shirt-wouldn't have thought of that but it's great together.

• jessicaykim April 11, 2011 at 2:05 am

jen from frmheadtotoe!

• glo ♥ April 11, 2011 at 2:17 am

You guys are so cute!! and same size =D but I'm not much taller either hahaha =) That new skirt is so cute!! Be careful of sharp edges =)

• Aubrey April 11, 2011 at 3:12 am

OH MY GOODNESS – I nearly fainted when I saw you sitting on what looks to be a rusty metal bar (!?!) and then I realized you had your blazer under your bum. Whew. *Wipes sweat from brow*

I love this, Jean!! It just looks like the lining is a bit see-through? Either way, it doesn't matter – very adorable. I like it a lot better than the AT lace skirt. Which, btw, I tried the lace skirt on and hated it on me. :- Me + white lace = not good.

• Aubrey April 11, 2011 at 3:15 am

err crochet – same diff ^.^

• Lora April 11, 2011 at 3:29 am

You two do look like twins! So cute haha

• Cee April 11, 2011 at 9:18 am

I'm so happy the weather is finally nice enough where you can bust out your spring H&M; purchases! That chambray shirt seriously goes with everything. And the belt? I love how preppy it is. I may have to hunt down the shorts that went with it just so I can have the belt, lol.

I never did make it to the outlets this weekend 🙁 But oh, seeing the skirt and dress on you and Jen is really making me regret it.

• Ying April 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

Beautiful post, as always! I was THIS close to picking up a lace skirt over the weekend from Heritage 1981 but I didn't and now you're making me wish I had! 🙂 I did, however, pick up the chambray shirt you love so much. I've already worn it too! No wonder you love it so much, it's so light, which will be perfect for hot and humid days in South Carolina, and I know it's going to be as versatile as you say it is.

That picture of you two pinching the extra fabric in those pieces, wow. You two ARE extremely tiny. No wonder you started this blog! I am the same height as you – I'm like 5' and 3/4" but I tell people I'm 5'1" and I weigh more than you so my only issue is usually inseam. But to be my height and thinner, that's a HUGE challenge! Props to you for always looking so gorgeous and finding such fabulous pieces!

• mskiki April 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

This post has peaked my interest in crochet items 🙂 Love the skirt and the Ann Taylor dress as well. Btw, you and Jenn are so tiny. I mean I knew that already but seeing you two together kind of solitified just how small you ladies are! So cute! Loooove your blog! Take care

• Wendy April 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm

You look gorgeous! I love this look. That skirt is really awesome.

• Sunny April 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm

You girls are too freakin cute~! I'm also subscribed to Jen's blog. =)

• Beautygirl24 April 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm

You look amazing! I just love love love the skirt!

• itzLina April 11, 2011 at 3:19 pm

You make that chambray shirt look so effortlessly chic and versatile! You look beautiful in that skirt =D Also you and Jen are my favorite petite bloggers, it's so cool to see the two of you together. When I saw the last pic, I couldn't help but smile ^____^

• Yukie April 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I'm loving the lace crotchet trend this year! Very adorable 🙂

Also, I noticed that you reorganized your blogroll a bit. I found it easier to navigate! I'm impressed that you're always trying to make things better for your readers. Thanks!

• SIENA.STYLE April 11, 2011 at 4:24 pm

amazing!you look so cute*

• LittleAsianGirl BigAppetite April 11, 2011 at 4:26 pm

beautiful!! the crochet skirt is perfect for the nicer weather that we've had in boston lately

• harrrleyyy April 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm

i always love lookin' at your blog and your different outfits! you and jen are so beautiful :]

• Annapurna April 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I have been searching for a lace crochet dress like that FOREVER. Do you think the AT Outlet might do a charge send?

• PetiteLittleGirl April 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm

You look lovely, Jean! I am kicking myself for not picking out this skirt. If it's a bit big on you, it probably will fit me well. I love this whole look so much. Did you sit on your blazer in the first photo :)? Looks like you and Jen had so much fun shopping. Enjoy the rest of your week.

• Mindy♥ April 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Looking absolutely stunning! You and Jen look so adorable in the last photos! 🙂

• Primp and Giggle April 11, 2011 at 7:37 pm

simply ADORABLE!!!! 🙂

• I am Khatu April 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm

One of my favorite looks from you! love this skirt… but i don't see it… probably sold out again!

• Tara April 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I am in love with your skirt Jean! So beautiful!

• Anonymous April 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I am STUNNED to see how much of a model you look like! And no offense to your friend Jen but you look 20x cuter & prettier than her ;p

• R.L. April 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Yay, I'm glad the chambray shirt is getting more blog time! Getting it slimmed was really worth it and makes a world of difference. As is, mine is puffy and the sleeves are too loose to stay rolled up on their own. I might have to resort to Kelly's hair tie trick, but I'm actually thinking of trying a self alteration by sewing in my own seams from the inside. Lol, hopefully I don't ruin my shirt.

And I agree with Cee. I almost want to track down those F21 shorts just to get that belt.

It's so nice to see 2 of my fav bloggers together. Can't wait to see your haul and can we maybe expect a video tutorial from the both of you?? 😉