Petite Fashion Challenge # 7 – The Little Black Dress

This month’s Petite Fashion Challenge is hosted by Jessy of The Little Dust Princess. Be sure to visit Jessy’s blog to see her and all the other ladies’ entries!

The Challenge: “A little black dress (LBD) is essential in every woman’s wardrobe. Adding a pop of colour to your LBD will change up its look and make your dress a little less boring. For this challenge, add a pop of colour (or two) to your little black dress to change up the look. You could add anything from an accessory to a blazer, or even nail polish!”

Soo…this is embarrassing, but do you ever read something and only retain the beginning and end, completely forgetting (or ignoring) the middle part? I read Jessy’s challenge a few weeks back and remembered “LBD” …”change up the look”…”add an accessory to a blazer”…but somehow completely missed the emphasis on color.

Today I went back to re-read her challenge and was like…huh?? Color?! So please pardon my derelict entry.

PFClbd5
Little Black Dress: Theory “Yeneth” sheath dress sz 0 (similar)
Blazer: Theory “Gratian” sz 00   Pumps: Ann Taylor Oxford Pumps
Faux-Fur collar: H&M;  Necklace: Talbots  Peep-toe heels: Aldo
I wear my LBD’s without much color nor adornment. I think the simplicity of a sleek black dress is what makes it classic and beautiful. However, when keeping it simple (and especially with black, which shows the outline of a garment very clearly) – a perfect fit becomes even more important.
These photos remind me of the little “fixes” this dress needs. This dress was one of my first alteration jobs and I sadly got it hemmed too short. It also needs to be slimmed along the hips.
PFClbd7

I am rocking gifts from dear blog friends in both outfits. These adorable American Apparel dotted tights were sent to me by Elle. And oh, you like my luxe snakeskin “clutch” ? It’s actually a makeup brush roll gifted from Jen ; )

PFClbd6

To find out more about Petite Fashion Challenges and how you can sign up, visit this thread in the Alterations Needed forum for petites.

42 thoughts on “Petite Fashion Challenge # 7 – The Little Black Dress

• I am Khatu April 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm

lol, I did the same thing! read the beginning and the end. I went back yesterday and saw that I had to add colors… oops.

• gold N turquoise April 28, 2011 at 8:27 pm

The oxford pumps are absolutely adorable! Great styling for both outfits, even if the colors were neutral! πŸ™‚

jenny

• Alterations Needed April 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Looking classy, lady! I came thisclose to wearing the Theory Gratian blazer too! LOL…we would have been twins! Those Ann Taylor pumps actually act as a pop of color against the black dress, so I think you made the challenge, without even knowing it!

• PetiteLittleGirl April 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

lol πŸ™‚ I love your outfit tho. My favorite look is how you styled the last outfit. I want that necklace! It is so gorgeous.

• kileen April 28, 2011 at 8:47 pm

wow, what an amazing necklace and i love the pop of color from those oxford pumps! you still totally rocked the challenge. πŸ™‚

• Michelle April 28, 2011 at 8:47 pm

LOL! You were not the only one that did not read her directions carefully! :p

You did a great job from day to night! Great idea to turn the makeup bag into a clutch…probably has great storage! I always love seeing your faux-fur collar worked in an outfit!

• R.L. April 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Lol, I know what you mean about missing key points. I do it all the time! Nevertheless, I love the details of your outfit. You look so glamorous with the fur collar and I would have never guessed that your clutch was a makeup bag. The oxford pumps and nail polish may not be quite like your citrine belt, but I still think they count as a pop of color.

• Vicky April 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

You are too funny, Jean. Don't worry, it happens to people ALL THE TIME. At least you got the date right. πŸ™‚ I like the day->night transition pictures, but I especially love the night version. The snake patterned clutch (wouldn't have guessed it was a brush rollup) and the H&M; fur collar worked so well together. Oh, and that pose! Can you say no to this lady?

• Cee April 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm

You make LBDs look so versatile. Of them all, I have to say the last look is my favorite. I admire that Talbots necklace ever time you wear it — such a statement maker!

• Sunshine April 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm

ohhh Jean, you look like a million bucks!!!

• Elle April 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm

You look terrific, I agree that even without much color your outfit still had the intended effect that Jessy challenged us to have.

• Di April 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm

you look sooo pretty in both outfits!!!
    Those oxford heels look like perfection with your work outfit, so chic! And cute addition of fur with the dress for night~~~love the tweed-like texture of the dress :DDD it veers away from the going-to-a-funeral look ;p
    xo Diana

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) April 28, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You look perfect as always Jean! Those tights are too cute!

• SewPetiteGal April 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Love that you did both a day and night look! I am really in love with that Talbots necklace and am currently thinking of how I can make my own version πŸ™‚ The color counts in your shoes and nail polish so you still followed the rules!

• PetiteΓ©lΓ©gant April 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Love it!

• Edwina April 28, 2011 at 11:03 pm

You did such an awesome job πŸ™‚ Love both looks!

• CynthiaC April 28, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I really like the evening look! The wrap is gorgeous!

• Anonymous April 28, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Hi Jean,

This may seem like an out there request, but I saw this gorgeous blouse on an episode of "Greek" and since I can not tell prada from prado (nerd alert!) I was wondering if you could help me locate this piece of "chic"-ness. In Greek season 4 episode 8 Katherine wears this shirt. I found a video of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKn-ylPz-GQ) at 1:15 you can see the navy shirt with off white trim…

• Mindy J. L. April 29, 2011 at 12:32 am

I absolutely love your LBD. It's not the typical LBD, it's actually very versatile. I love your Theory dress! πŸ™‚

• Ping April 29, 2011 at 12:40 am

jean i love that sheath dress and the texture! cute animal clutch too! you're hair is growing out quick!

• Stylepint April 29, 2011 at 1:52 am

Way to turn this dress from day to night. Love the clutch, wouldn't have ever known it was a makeup roll. Glamorous as always! =)

• Steffi April 29, 2011 at 8:10 am

I'm loving the faux fur! It definitely transform the LBD making it more glamorous πŸ™‚

• Irene @CouturePetite April 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love the collar and peep-toe shoes! They go great with the snake skin. πŸ™‚

• Anonymous April 29, 2011 at 10:23 am

i still think you did a great job in showcasing an effortless way of transitioning the LBD from day to night! πŸ™‚

hands up if you thought of zoolander when you read 'derelict'….. *raises hand*

• grace April 29, 2011 at 11:45 am

LOVE the evening look. Wow, that collar really goes with everything. And you know, I do think your red shoes is a pop of color πŸ˜› .. that works, right? πŸ˜›

The "clutch" works so beautifully well with the black dress – really like that necklace too.

I often scan too and should sit down and read more carefully – I always miss important things!

• Really Petite April 29, 2011 at 11:55 am

Great job Jean…it's nice to see that dress make another appearance! And it looks great w/the oxford pumps:)

• Mae Lu April 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Wow, amazing job Jean. I like how you take it up a high fashion factor with the faux stole and the faux snakeskin "clutch" from Ms. FrmHeadToToe…

Very nice.

I wish I had participated… but I own no LBD. Then Khatu gets all crafty by cheating w/ separates, and I'm like–I could've done that.

YOU LOOK GREAT, as always.

xx{ish.},
    Mae Lu @ thereafterish.!

• Monica April 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Love the work to night look with the LBD.

I saw this shoe at Kohl's and thought of you and your search for a platform nude pump. http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/heels/dress/PRD~733509/ELLE+Yalena+Platform+High+Heels.jsp

• AubreyOhDang! April 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I've been contemplating tiny/subtle polka dotted tights. Prolly wont purchase til fall/winter rolls around again.

• Slayerbabe April 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Don't you just love it's versatility? I love both looks and you look so pretty in them πŸ™‚

• hurricanekerrie April 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Wow! Loving the day to night look! I think I love the night look better just because it's so uptown chic πŸ™‚ But those oxford heels are stunning.

• Olyvia April 29, 2011 at 10:22 pm

lol I think a few entries forgot about the color part too. But I see you got reddish nails and reddish pumps, which are so cool! Are those oxfords-style just as comfortable as your Perfect Pumps? Jean, you always look classy with the unexpected (like your makeup-roll turned clutch. awesome!)

• Anonymous April 29, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hi Jean,

• Winnie* April 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I like both but like the night look even more. It's okay that you missed the points as we all do it once in awhile. This is such a fun challenge and you did a great job :)!

• The Little Dust Princess April 30, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I love the day look! I didn't even notice those subtle polka-dots until a bit later. The clutch is adorable and I would have never guessed it was for makeup brushes! Great job, Jean πŸ˜€

Thank you for participating!

• MissRockwell April 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Gorgeous…I don't think it's too short at all-in fact, it's perfect. I love the fur 'thingy' and the clutch you added. It's perfect for a nice night out on the town.

• PetiteAsianGirl May 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your kind comments!

@Monica Those are cute! Thanks for sharing! I ordered very similar ones from Target with the platform : )

@Olyvia They are comfy, but due to the 1" platform definitely not as comfy as perfect pumps, plus they're a size too big hehe : )

@Anonymous Hi there, I spent some time combing the web looking for that shirt, but no such luck. For all we know it could be from past seasons, or not sold in mainstream retailers. It's too bad as it's quite a cute blouse!

• FashionableAsians May 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Definitely love the look of the LBD with a big statement necklace. You just reminded me to get an LBD for myself, so close to buying one at AnnTaylor a while back but I didn't feel like getting it tailored so didn't get it :/ I kinda regret it now, I always regret not buying things…

• Anonymous May 1, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to try and look up the shirt Jean. You are the best! =)

• Erin May 2, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Oh man how did I miss this? I loooooove the tights and burgundy oxfords, and you know I love that little bit of faux fur! I think they count as color πŸ˜‰ My color was gray sooo… haha