How to Style a Leopard Cardigan for Casual and Work Wear

I know a few readers also picked up this Ann Taylor Wild Leopard Cardigan (still left online in all petite sizes), which I am pleased with so far. The print is a soft faded leopard, and the colors are suitable for all seasons. I’m sure it will become a wardrobe favorite of mine.

leopard2
Top: Ann Taylor Factory Petal Shell sz XXSP
Pants: Ann Taylor twill crops sz 00P (similar)
Shoes: Aldo (old) Pearls: ebay Bag: Chanel m/l flap

I wanted to demonstrate how one can transform a basic top, pants, and cardigan ensemble and make it suitable for various occasions, just by tweaking the garments and accessories.

leopard1

leopard3

60 thoughts on “How to Style a Leopard Cardigan for Casual and Work Wear

• Jen April 24, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Great video for easy, practical and no-fuss dressing! My favourite combo has to be the one you took photos of. Those pants, again, are amazing on you! By the way hahaha, totally didn't expect to see the "baby" in the video! Made me laugh out loud.

Happy Easter Jean!
    Jen

P.S. Where did you get your dress form?

• Wendy April 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Hi Jean,

I love your blog. I also did not expect the 'baby' at the end of the first ensemble. You made me laugh. Plus, after having my 2nd son 7 months ago, I could relate to wanting to dress up a bit rather than wearing my daily sweats! Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing your posts!

• gold N turquoise April 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm

loved the shorts and the pencil skirt look; great ideas!

jenny

• R.L. April 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Haha, un baby! I'm so glad you did a video on styling the citrine belt. I would have never imagined that this color could be made work appropriate but I'm a believer now. My fav looks were the ones for "Dressy." I need to invest in some cropped pants now. Anyway, loved this pairings video. You're such a natural, hope to see more!

• Ping April 24, 2011 at 7:14 pm

cute video jean and lol at the "un babe"!
    i love how the longer length cardigan works so well with all the outfits. the accent belt is so versatile. i have been looking for one!
    i'm the opposite with the pants. that is the only thing i wear and i rarely wear skirts to work. its probably because i like to wear heels and not flats.

• Anonymous April 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hi Jean,
    These pairings were great-and that cardi and accent belt are so versatile! Need to get myself one.
    Random Question (If you don't mind my asking)-Do you speak mandarin?

• Mindyβ™₯ April 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Jean! You always look so great! <3 I love the way you made the pairings with the leopard print cardigan. πŸ™‚

• Banhannas April 24, 2011 at 7:28 pm

My favorite pairing is the light mauve colored pencil skirt! Is that recent? Oh don't tell me, if it was than I would be so sore since the 40% promo is over! lol!

You are so informative in your videos, I love how brought such versatility but only using a few pieces.

• alison*elle April 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm

It's funny how easily you can change up the looks while still using almost the same items. My favourites were the night look with the shorts and the work look with the pencil skirt. Thanks for the video – I got some great ideas! πŸ™‚

• Olyvia April 24, 2011 at 7:40 pm

thank you for the informative video! It really makes me want to reevaluate my wardrobe. Cause my outfits are usually looks exactly how your before outfit is (frumpy and nothing for the height). I will refer back to this post many times!

• Victoria April 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I have a animal print cardigan. You give me more ideas to wear it. Thanks.

• Katherine April 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I loved your video! Very cute and helpful for dressing up that cardigan…and you have a great Chanel collection πŸ™‚

• Callandra April 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Lovely cardi Jean and I loved all the ways you styled it!

• questforfashionsense April 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Super useful video – very much appreciated. I don't have a leopard/print cardi or a citron skinny belt, but I'm going to try to use your tips in other ways for sure [maybe swap for a brightly colored cardi and an aqua skinny belt]. Thanks again for showing so many versatile looks with just a few key pieces.

• Really Petite April 24, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I haven't watched the video but am about to…just had to leave a comment first:)

I love my AT leopard cardi I got awhile ago for $10..this one is super cute too!

• Jenn April 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Love the leopard print! It really does go with everything and is much easier to match than I would have thought.

Complex Cardigans

• Theresa April 24, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I love the lavender skirt! I must have one!

• Steffi April 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I've always wanted that Chanel purse in black but your outfits make me like Taupe more and more… dilemma, dilemma 😑

• Viralitis April 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Ah! Where did you get that yellow belt? I notice you wear it in a lot of things and I never realized how flattering yellow can be to an outfit! Great ideas with the leopard sweater also!

Viralitis.blogspot.com

• grace April 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Beautiful as usual Jean =) Love your night out look the most. I probably could almost get away with that to work πŸ˜› except for the shorts would be too short. I love the lavender skirt. Hm.. too bad I missed the 40% off cardigan – I need something to spruce up my plain colored wardrobe a bit.

• Michelle April 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Cute!! I am not sure which look is my favorite…you have pulled them all off so well.

I am really craving a fun skinny belt! πŸ™‚ And that cardigan!

• rae April 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm

you look lovely, and those pants fit you like a dream.

• Canadianpetite April 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Funny when you ran and came up with a 'baby'! Love the skirt and shorts pairing. Gotta get me a bright yellow belt – so versatile and just…right! (Damn AT's no-shipping-to-Canada)

• Anonymous April 24, 2011 at 10:17 pm

QUESTION!: Do you have tips on organizing closets? or maybe maximizing the small space?

• Lizzy!. April 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I love the pencil skirt look!Classy as always Jean πŸ™‚ thanks for such a great video!
    I was wondering how you prevent bunching in the pencil skirt when you tuck in a cardi? because i've tried that and I always seem to get ridiculous looking bunches in the back even with lined wool skirts.

• The Little Dust Princess April 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm

You're awesome, Jean! <3 I love all the pairings, but I have to admit my least fave was the pants. You probably already know by now I don't wear pants too often. πŸ˜› The leopard cardi is beautiful! I WANT IT!

• Anonymous April 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm

ANOTHER QUESTION!: Where did you get that dress form/mannequin? Do you dress it up in the next day's outfit? I think it would look cute as a decorative inspiration board of sorts…

• SewPetiteGal April 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm

This is such a GREAT post! Thanks for all the ideas and going to the trouble of putting it into a video format! I almost fell out of my chair when you ran to pick up your "baby" – LOVE that!!

• kileen April 24, 2011 at 11:53 pm

lovely post and i love the longer length of the cardigan. and great ideas for styling it too!

• Anonymous April 25, 2011 at 3:04 am

Wow, another great outfit! I love what you did with the leopard print cardigan. I have to admit, I've never purchased anything in leopard print because I always thought it looked very tacky, but the way you dressed it up in your pictures looks so classy and elegant. And your instructional video is so helpful! Please, do more of those. Oh, and I totally laughed when you grabbed your "baby". =) Looking forward to seeing more outfits from you (especially spring/summer ones)!

• Di April 25, 2011 at 3:33 am

OMG you look so cute in these outfits! you pull them off seamlessly love~~~ I'm a leopard fan myself πŸ™‚ such a great pop of pattern~ xo Diana

• KDot April 25, 2011 at 7:49 am

You're super cute! I'm a tall girl who loves your blog πŸ™‚

• Ying April 25, 2011 at 8:52 am

Jean, you mean to tell me you didn't know you were a walking Ann Taylor/LOFT ad? Lol. I'm here to tell you, you are and that you need to be getting royalties for it. πŸ™‚ I shopped LOFT before I found your blog, but now I shop it even more.

Love the looks you put together – I've always been wary of leopard and animal print but recently have grown more comfortable with it – as I've learned that keeping everything else with it very basic. I love the looks you put together for the cardi, isn't it amazing how the pairings can change the look and feel of a piece?

The baby was hilarious by the way. πŸ˜€

• Janine aka J-Ezzy @ *La Dolce Vita* April 25, 2011 at 12:21 pm

see, i'm much lazier, since i too commute i wear pants all year round with my sneakers, if i'm wearing sneakers 90% of my pants won't drag. sadly i still don't own flats that are comfortable and look good with skirts =/ womp womp

i also have very thick legs so heels feel like a must when wearing skirts

how long is your commute? i walk 15-20 minutes to the metro then take the train for 25-45 minutes then walk another 10-15 minutes to get to work. btw – i don't really walk, i practically run everywhere i go, i am that weirdo that is weaving a crowd.

as i said in the yt vid, i absolutely love the shorts and skirt pairing you created, ja adore, Jean!!

• elledee April 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

so well put together! love the length of those pants

• Jackie April 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Jean, I really enjoyed watching your video! Great way to expand on what I already have in my closet =D Thank you!

I really love that outfit too. You wear that print very well.

• AubreyOhDang! April 25, 2011 at 4:59 pm

omg im going to die! funny moments that I literally LOL'd:

1. "climb a mountain…i dont know about that."
    2. "un bebe."
    3. "subtle sexy." hahahahha very true but i still think it's funny when u say it

great vid little lady!

• Lisa April 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm

The video was great. It was very helpful to see all the ways one can tweak and outfit with one piece staying constant. I really like the tucked in look with the skirt for the cardigan and would not have thought of that. Thanks for the idea!

• Suman April 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm

OMG.. this video was for me πŸ˜€

Loved the way you transformed from day to night to work look. Thank you so much! the best part was when you ran to grab the baby…that made me laugh so hard!!

Have started jotting down my experiences (newpetite@blogspot.com) a big Thanks to you!! XOXO

• Melanie! April 25, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I'm so happy I found this blog! I think we have the same measurements and are the same height. This isn't completely relevant to this post in particular but where do you find nice jeans and pants that fit (on a college student budget)? I've tried Levi's 0 and Gap 00 and both don't fit right and I have to wear a belt all the time so they bunch up at the waist and I get the infamous "triangle crotch."