Current Hair Curling Routine: Easy Loose Waves

When it comes to haircare, my goals are: low-maintenance and acceptable-looking. I’ve gotten a few hair tutorial requests lately, which is flattering, but hairstyling is not my forte. Here is a short video of my daily (well, every other day) routine.

And just in case anyone doubted my naturally coarse and thick hair, here it is (right) in its frightening glory:

Steps shown in video:
1. Add volume to the crown area as hair dries. This step is a must for me (I’ve tried hot rollers & teasing w/no success).
2. Divide hair into 4-6 sections (the larger the sections, the less heat reaches your hair so the more loose the waves will be)
3. Curl the ends outward w/ a 1.5″ to 2″ barrel iron (this one is $25 including ship). Curl counter-clockwise with hair to your left, clockwise for hair to your right. Hold for 10 seconds before releasing.
4. Put hair up in a loose bun and spray w/ hairspray. Let down and fluff.

Products used: whatever is on sale at the drugstore. Currently using Aussie shampoo, conditioner and hairspray. You can make your waves last another day by sleeping with your hair in one or two loose buns, then re-touching the ends with a curler the next morning if needs be.

PS – Gap Give and Get is back, from March 17th to 19th. Here is a 30% off your entire purchase printable coupon, good at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and their outlet stores! The in-store coupon is good for multiple uses, however my online code is just one-time use.

62 thoughts on “Current Hair Curling Routine: Easy Loose Waves

• ducaboose March 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm

You are so adorable 🙂

• April March 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I've always wondered how you styled your hair! Soo pretty!

• Stephanie March 14, 2011 at 9:28 pm

LOL at your school pic! You have a sparkle in your eye!

You look gorgeous in that teal top by the way. It's my favorite color. Great job on the tutorial! I curl my hair very similar to that when I get a chance.

• Cat in Calico March 14, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Wonderful and professional tutorial, thank you! This really is quick and easy. Your hair is so shiny and gorgeous, definitely not "frightening", lol.

• Cindy March 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I always just left my hair straight but you're right, it looks really dull and simply waving it a little bit makes a huge difference. Thank you so much for the tutorial, you look amazing!

• The Little Dust Princess March 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm

You're so cute, Jean! What a great, simple tutorial for beginners. I always thought it was natural from your last few posts. 😛 I don't think your method of using the poof to create volume is working…You should try a volumizing hairspray, teasing, or even blowdrying your hair upside down! That last bit I mentioned is probably the quickest & easiest way of adding volume to your hair. : )

• Really Petite March 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for the video Jean! That's pretty much what I do to my hair because I look weird with slick straight hair…lol

Your lucky u have thick hair! I have extra thin/fine hair and have to curl the ends just so it doesn't look like strands of hay:D

• Claud March 14, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Very nice video. I do style my hair very similarly with a clipless curling iron. My hair is wavy though so I love to flat iron sometimes.

Sorry Jean this is so unrelated to this post:

I've been wanting to ask for a while this question but been shy to ask before. I've been curious to know if my fellow petite ladies here wear any shapewear? Some time ago, I had inquired at the Macys lingerie department but have gotten a weird look from the SA…like you don't need to wear something like this??? But still having a slim frame, I feel like for some special occasions I'd love to wear some lingerie underneath to get a seamless/smooth look. But I don't think is any in the market for us? Or I am missing? Where is a good place to buy shapewear for us petites? I'm looking at Jockey website but all shapewear starts at small size. Any one has any experience buying the small size, would this works?

• R.L. March 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Always informative and a pleasure! I can't wait to try this now. I also have thick coarse hair like you and the hardest part is drying it. It takes so long to dry and frizzes if not completely dried. I only recently discovered the "magic" of not washing my hair everyday. I washed daily back in college and my hair was always so frizzy I was "forced" to wear it in a dreadful librarian bun. Lol, if only I was more proactive learning about fashion and beauty back then…

P.S. The AT ruffle top in teal goes really well with your complexion. I hope the AT outlet has another sale soon!

• Deepali512 March 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Useful blog! Thanks.

• OV March 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Yay! thanks for the hair tutorial. I was just gonna ask you yesterday when I read your Thursday Fashion night post, how you did your hair, because it's been looking gorgeous lately with the loose curls. Your hair also has a nice shine to it. Could you also share what shampoo and hairspray or products you use in your hair daily?

• m March 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I'm still in the process of growing out my hair, but when it gets long enough, I'm def going to try your quick technique! Thanks for the video!

• grace March 14, 2011 at 10:44 pm

LOVE this post! I had been wondering how you'd been doing your little curls at the end lately! I've been using a straightener to curl lately and it doesn't work as well. Sounds like I need to pick up a curling iron. This helps a lot!

That teal color is gorgeous. Made me wish I got the AT ruffle in seahorse as well!

• MizzJ March 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Great tutorial! I really like the loose waves you achieve here and am amazed that it took so little time!

• PD March 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! My hair is quite similar to yours and my ends are pretty sad-looking. I can't wait to try this out, and good to know that it's supposed to be quick as well 🙂

• SewPetiteGal March 14, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I have the same coarse, thick hair! I typically tame it with a flat iron but I really need to incorporate the curling iron more often. Can't wait to show your new vid to my toddler – he'll be so excited 🙂

• Cinthia March 14, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Wow, this was so helpful! Thank you, you are adorable!

• Nelah March 14, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Your hair is absolutely healthy and beautiful. I wish I didn't get a perm because it turns to be a diaster lol. Enjoy this simple and lovely hair tutorials, straight hair is nice but you look fantastic with curls too!

• Christina March 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm

What a nice, quick tutorial, Jean! I also have trouble adding volume on top, so I'll try your technique next time. 🙂

I want to get a curling iron, but they're generally bulky (I want the Hot Tools 1.5" gold). I've been curling my hair with my GHD flat-iron, but the waves are not as natural right after I finish curling. I've noticed that almost all tutorials I've seen with a flat-iron for curling don't look as natural as a curling iron. ^^;;

• Anonymous March 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for this tutorial! I'll be trying it when my hair gets a few inches longer. I've always wondered how you did your hair-you look so nice.

• annie March 14, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. It makes me want to buy a curling iron to do my hair like yours.

• Michelle March 15, 2011 at 12:35 am

I always love watching your videos! As previously stated, you have such a soothing voice! 🙂

I am jealous of your five minute hair routine!

• Leena March 15, 2011 at 12:47 am

haha, you're too funny! i think we all had that frizzy, mushroom hair when we were younger.

• Monkey March 15, 2011 at 12:58 am

wow, i had no idea it could be this straightforward! thanks so much for the tutorial, i've been wanting to do more with my hair lately, but never wanted to take a lot of extra time. this is just what i needed.

• Nikki March 15, 2011 at 1:49 am

i was just wondering how you style your hair! i've been curling it but it's just too time consuming… im definitely going to try those loose curls tomorrow 🙂

• AnnieKuro March 15, 2011 at 2:15 am

I am totally going to try this and see if my hair looks as nice as yours. Just curious, what is step 4 supposed to accomplish? wouldn't it put a kink in the hair?

• Anonymous March 15, 2011 at 2:25 am

Hi Jean! Love your blog! I was wondering how long is your pearl necklace? It looks lovely on you.

• Anonymous March 15, 2011 at 2:32 am

You have amazing hair. I love the loose curls. Too add volume, instead of doing that, i blow dry it normally, and then when it's about 50% dry, i use my paddle brush to lift my hair up at the roots and blowdry downward on it. This gives the volume of blowdrying upside down without the added frizz.

– Lauren

• shlee March 15, 2011 at 2:49 am

Hi Jean,

You have gorgeous hair! I was wondering, how often do you cut your hair? What type of shampoo/conditioner do you use? Do you deep condition? Any tips for hair maintenance? Thanks in advance! I love how informative your videos are, they're always a pleasure to watch.

-lee

• herwaisechoice March 15, 2011 at 4:39 am

Great, easy tutorial Jean! It looks put together but subtle and like you just woke up like that! Have you thought about cutting your hair short for more professionalism, since you said that you feel less professional with long hair?

Jen

• Kiki March 15, 2011 at 8:44 am

Great tutorial! I do a similar routine, but I'll have to try the bun step! xoxo kiki

• mary March 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

Best tutorial on curling with 2 inch iron I've watched. Thank you for making this video! It looked so easy.

What top were you wearing on this video?

• 3niR March 15, 2011 at 9:31 am

Wow

• Jane March 15, 2011 at 11:03 am

Awesome post (as always!). Thanks and can't wait to try! Would love to see a makeup tutorial, you always look gorgeous!

• curls-and-pearls March 15, 2011 at 11:07 am

What time do you publish your posts? I always seem too late LOL! I will have to watch your video from home tonight. Love seeing that school picture of you 😛

• Trini March 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

That AT teal color look amazing on you. Which color of AT ruffle top you end up to keep?

• Julie March 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I usually give my hair a bit of curl with a rounded brush while I'm blow drying it, but I've been meaning to get a wide barrel curling iron for a while now to really give myself some waves. Great tutorial!

• Ping March 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm

jean– your hair is so healthy! it looks great with the loose curls. i miss my black healthy hair. i got back and forth between dying and not dying it. i have so much layers in the my hair that it doesn't look pretty like your hair does when i do that.

• Petiteélégant March 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm

love love love your voice.

• Banhannas March 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

It looks so natural! All this time I thought you had gorgeous waves on your own. A very simple tutorial but makes a huge difference.