• Current Hair Curling Routine: Easy Loose Waves

When it comes to haircare, my goals are: low-maintenance and acceptable-looking. I’ve gotten a few hair tutorial requests lately, which is flattering, but hairstyling is not my forte. Here is a short video of my daily (well, every other day) routine.

And just in case anyone doubted my naturally coarse and thick hair, here it is (right) in its frightening glory:

Steps shown in video:
    1. Add volume to the crown area as hair dries. This step is a must for me (I’ve tried hot rollers & teasing w/no success).
    2. Divide hair into 4-6 sections (the larger the sections, the less heat reaches your hair so the more loose the waves will be)
    3. Curl the ends outward w/ a 1.5″ to 2″ barrel iron (this one is $25 including ship). Curl counter-clockwise with hair to your left, clockwise for hair to your right. Hold for 10 seconds before releasing.
    4. Put hair up in a loose bun and spray w/ hairspray. Let down and fluff.

Products used: whatever is on sale at the drugstore. Currently using Aussie shampoo, conditioner and hairspray. You can make your waves last another day by sleeping with your hair in one or two loose buns, then re-touching the ends with a curler the next morning if needs be.

PS – Gap Give and Get is back, from March 17th to 19th. Here is a 30% off your entire purchase printable coupon, good at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and their outlet stores! The in-store coupon is good for multiple uses, however my online code is just one-time use.

62 thoughts on “Current Hair Curling Routine: Easy Loose Waves

• Canadianpetite March 17, 2011 at 1:13 am

So simple yet so gorgeous. I also have thick coarse hair (my picture is proof) and have to get it thinned out as I don't like the bobblehead look. The one good thing about this type of hair, I cannot damage it with heat or chlorine. I call mine 'horsehair'. Does your curl last the whole day?

• extraluggage March 17, 2011 at 3:51 am

Thank-you Jeeeeeeean! My hair's still at armpit length but you've got me excited to try this look out once it grows a few more inches. I love that it's a simple technique yet still looks great!

• Supasabs March 17, 2011 at 3:52 am

Speaking of GAP (btw, I love your site! I'm 5'1/2")…have you tried swagbucks yet? By using swagbucks, you can earn points from using their search engine, buying daily discount deals (like Living Social), even shopping through their site…and you can earn like $25+ a month worth of Amazon GCs. I think shopping at GAP will get you about 180pts (450pts will get you an Amazon GC). I didn't try it until I read about it being pretty legit from some mom sites. Check it out: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/supasabs

• Anonymous March 17, 2011 at 6:24 am

On the back parts of your hair, you clamped it going inward but curled it outward. Lol!

• Janine aka J-Ezzy @ *La Dolce Vita* March 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm

you are so adorable on video!! there are girls i've loved on their blogs then i get to see them on video and their persona was not was I expected, you however, are just as sweet as I envisioned you!! you inspire me to do my hair more often, i typically leave up in a bun all day or let it air dry and look unprofessional (it's ridiculously long).

great vid!!

xoxo

• Janine aka J-Ezzy @ *La Dolce Vita* March 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm

was not what I expected*

• Anonymous March 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm

you're right…hairstyling is not your forte.

• LittleAsianGirl BigAppetite March 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm

hahaha i love your honesty and willingness to share even the bad pics of yourself

• Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 9:55 am

wow~~ your skin change a lot.Your skin looks fairer and radiant now. Any product recommended?

• Anonymous August 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm

what is the brand name of the curling iron ur using?

• Liz August 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I really like your iron! Can you tell me the brand or where you got it? I know you said Target in this video, but I couldn't find it there.

• Jane December 30, 2011 at 1:30 am

Thank you for posting this!! Your hair looks amazing. I have the exact same type of hair as you do and also felt that it looks unprofessional, especially to go to work. I had no idea what to do with it until I came across this post. Will try this routine tomorrow morning 🙂