Petite Lookbook: Embracing the Lace

My Target order arrived this weekend and I’ll be reviewing things slowly. First up is a definite keeper. I wasn’t so sure about this affordable lace cardigan at first, but after trying it on with pieces in my closet I fell in love. I first wore it to work over a simple black sheath dress and got numerous compliments. Even my friend who was originally disgusted by my purchase now wants one!

targetlace
Skirt: Banana Republic Paper Bag Skirt sz 0P (similar here in 00)
Belt: BR outlet   Bag: Chanel WOC   Cameo: Peri

The key is to not wear it over a contrasting top a la the hideous Target model pic (but thank you, Target, for the awful photo because that’s why this cardigan is now so cheap). I paired this with a simple black cami, a neutral skirt, plus some basic black accessories. If I were to nitpick, I’d complain about the slightly too-long sleeves. However, they are very easy to scrunch up, and I prefer them at the elbow anyways to make the overall look less lacy.

targetlace2targetlace7

targetlace3

Funny story about this skirt – I was shipping my blog sale items when I noticed one address was 3 blocks away from my apartment! I offered to meet up in person to do the exchange, and she came bearing a gift – a Banana Republic paper bag skirt that she had allegedly outgrown. I have nothing like this skirt and already wore it (and got compliments on it) several times. The belt loops and bunchy nature of the skirt allow me to make the 0P work. Thanks so much, Jenny!!

The silhouette of this skirt resembles the J.crew wool bell skirt(still left in sz 00), so if you ordered this cardigan and own the J.crew skirt, I highly recommend trying the two together : )

targetlace1

Here are photos to show how the cardigan fits. I would not wear it over jeans (much prefer it tucked into skirts and over dresses), but these give you an idea of the longer length and overall snug fit. If you are bigger than me, I’d recommend sizing up to a S as the XS is fitted on me all-around.

targetlace6targetlace4targetlace5

I highly recommend this cardigan to anyone who wants to add something “different” to their wardrobe. The brown did not work out for me, but I can see myself wearing the black with many different ensembles. At just $11.98 (plus other discounts and ebates), this is a welcome addition to my wardrobe.

PS – one new item was added to my blogsale, and prices on other items have been lowered.

Readers – did anyone else pick up this lace cardigan? If so, how are you styling it?

54 thoughts on “Petite Lookbook: Embracing the Lace

• siwing February 21, 2011 at 12:44 am

its been on the clearance rack for so long now.. i never even bothered to pick it up cause i didn't think it would look good…

you just changed my mind !!!

you look gorgeous in the photos, Jean =DDD

• Tessa Tham February 21, 2011 at 12:46 am

I love how you've styled it with the paperbag skirt!! Cute πŸ™‚ & Looking pretty in the pics too girl! πŸ™‚ xx

• kileen February 21, 2011 at 12:47 am

wow, i love how you styled the black lace cardigan over the black cami with the bell skirt. the lacy details on the sleeves add something different yet still look very classy. and how wonderful that you were able to meet up with a reader and get a new skirt out of it too. it looks lovely on you!

• April February 21, 2011 at 12:48 am

Jean you are getting more and more beautiful! I wish I had a gorgeous smile like yours! I have a lace cardigan and never thought to wear it, just didn't think it was something I'd want to wear, but now you totally changed my mind. I'm going to have to get on Target and get your lace cardigan since the one I have is a hoodie lace thing. LOL! Jean I think you should be a real petite model. You are gorgeous in every way and you're brilliant! <3 Looove the outfit!

• Janet February 21, 2011 at 1:03 am

Love the lace cardi on you!! I went to my local Target the other day but could not find it in store (ended up picking up a pair of wedges featured by Natasha XOXO). Contemplating an order now…
    & loving your new OOTDs with all the new pieces!!

• The Little Dust Princess February 21, 2011 at 1:03 am

The cardigan is SO cute. I used to have a lace see-through shirt and styled it the same way as you. I sold it because it wasn't as fitted as I had liked it to be. Still looking for the perfect lace shirt and it seems like you have it!! Too bad Target isn't in Canada yet!

• PetiteXXS February 21, 2011 at 1:08 am

I love mine too… definitely key is to wear a non-contrasting layer underneath… and to tuck it in. I think of it as an add-on pair of lace sleeves rather than a cardigan actually πŸ™‚

• Really Petite February 21, 2011 at 1:10 am

U look gorgeous Jean! I got the beige lace cardi and hated it so it went back..lol

• Ryan Chua Photography February 21, 2011 at 1:12 am

You look very pretty in that first look – I love what you did! =)

• Ping February 21, 2011 at 1:14 am

jean– who cares about the cardi, because you look hot! haha jk! the cardi is super cute tho with the skirt. i love the way you styled it.

• sharonlei February 21, 2011 at 1:32 am

Jean, you are totally right.. it's styled horribly on the Target site. (then again, a lot of their items are styled in an unappealing way). Well, you look fabulous in it and have paird it perfectly with that wonderful paperbag skirt. AND I agree with Ping, you look hot. πŸ™‚

Hope you're enjoying your weekend!!

xx Love & Aloha

• The Girlie Blog February 21, 2011 at 2:01 am

Thank you for the advice on the lace card. It is a beautiful item. I really like the way you paired it with the skirt.

• Justine February 21, 2011 at 2:05 am

I think Target might have used the white tank top to show the lace, but doing so, it made the lace cardigan look really bad. I really like the way you wore it. And lucky you- a new paper bag skirt. I really want one for myself at a modest length πŸ™‚

Just Better Together

• StealMyHeartLovee February 21, 2011 at 2:16 am

I love this outfit on you, you look gorgeous! πŸ™‚

• Rainy Days and Lattes February 21, 2011 at 2:46 am

I love the lacy arms. I hadn't seen this at my local Targets… by local, I mean at least 6 Targets I visited this weekend LOL. I think I will order this on Target.com now! You look beautiful.

• grace February 21, 2011 at 4:05 am

I love the way you styled it. I don't wear skirts much, so I'm totally on the fence about the cardigan. It looks gorgeous with the paper bag skirt – so utterly classic and effortless looking.

• AubreyOhDang! February 21, 2011 at 4:59 am

I do love it tucked in but I wish it was shorter so it can be more versatile to wear untucked. personally just too long for me. now u said u wore it with a sheath dress? hm…that could be another option I'd like to see.

but wow, someone's a stunner in these photos. nails done, hair done, errr thing done…you fancy huh? << I just love how ghetto this song is.

• Mommyblogger February 21, 2011 at 5:48 am

You look gorgeous and I love that lacy cardigan! I might have to check & see if they have one in my size. That skirt is amazing too!!

• Banhannas February 21, 2011 at 9:01 am

The lace cardigan is a definite keeper! It looks so much more expensive and a higher quality by the way you styled it. I agree that Target should continue styling their clothes hideously and further discounting their price. You have a great eye!
    That paperbag skirt is sooo adorable! It is great that you were able to scrunch up the waist and the overall look doesn't look boxy at all.

• H Rija February 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

You look so beautiful in this outfit (as usual)

• Vicky February 21, 2011 at 11:03 am

I'm just completely taken by this look you pulled together! Must order the lace shirt!!! Oh that pendant, so in love with it!

• swanprincess February 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Gorgeous as always!

• Tiffany - I am Style-ish February 21, 2011 at 12:29 pm

cuuute! I have the same cardigan and a paperbag skirt as well, I may have to copy this look from you!

• Anonymous February 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm

i saw this sweater in target two months ago and passed it up cuz i tried it on the way the contrasting tank. you def made me wanna buy it! also, could you do a post on the best type of skirts/pants to tuck shirts in? i always have trouble pulling off that type of look because of the bulkiness it creates. thanks!

• Elle February 21, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I am guilty of thinking this lace cardigan was too "lacey" in secret but I love how you styled this. I also think the key is pairing it with simple tanks underneath and you really have perfected the tuck-cardigans-into-skirts/pants look. And you look terrific in the paperbag skirt! I was thinking when I first saw the picture why I've never seen that beauty before! πŸ™‚

• Canadianpetite February 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm

You look so good in this outfit. Definitely like it tucked in. Been so used to seeing you with dark nailpolish that I was surprised to see you without. Are you wearing the Stila palette?

• Carolyn February 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love the paper bag skirt and I love the lace cardigan! Great pairing… although, can

• Vicky February 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

You look gorgeous in the cardigan/skirt. Can I ask how you style your hair, do you curl just the ends?

• Callandra February 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

So ladylike chic! I could never pull of that look, but you're totally rocking it!

• Cee February 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Don't yell at me, but I look forward to seeing your casual outfits more than the dressier-work-appropriate ones. And this one is no exception. I LOVE IT!

• LittleAsianGirl BigAppetite February 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm

totally cute! love the versatility of the cardigan

• DSK Steph February 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm

lol @thanking Target for their stock photos! <3

• LaLaaLove February 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Oh my god, that skirt is beautiful!

• simplyvonne February 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

super cute girl..look really sexy in the first pix! i love your outfit and the eye makeup!

• Lori February 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm

man, I'm so tempted after seeing this on you, but there is nothing else I'm craving at Target at the moment so I prob won't put an order in. But it looks FAB on you!

Lorispeak

• Ski Petite February 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I agree with pushing up the sleeves as the favorite look. Just the right amount of lace. And funny on the Target pic! I think I used to dress like that in 7th grade πŸ™‚

• R.L. February 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Jean, you're such a fashion genius for starting the trend of tucking cardigans into a skirt! A lacy top like this could have easily looked like lingerie but you managed to make it looks so classy and unique. Thanks for posting that twitpic of the cardi with your sheath dress and for showing how it fits with jeans. That helped me decide to size up to Small.

I'm almost wishing that more of the petite bloggers had this lace cardigan so that the next fashion challenge could be how to style this other than over solid black like Tiffany did.

By the way, did you see Her Waise Choice's post today? She's wearing a similar outfit. Now I can't wait to receive my lace cardi and tuck it into a skirt like you guys!

• fabulouslyfrugirl February 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Wow! You look great, as usual Jean.

I wasn't sure what to expect when you posted the Target stock photo's but this is lovely and chic. I am going to have to start tucking my cardigans in. Such a brilliant idea πŸ™‚

• Recovering Shopaholic February 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm

So gorgeous! You manage to pull a lot of things off that I would never dream of putting on (until you wear it, of course, then I want the item yesterday!). I should give up shopping for myself and just see what you have on, go out and buy everything, and wear it when it comes in the following week πŸ˜‰

Keep it coming!

• β™₯ LTDT β™₯ February 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm

You look stunning and I'm definitely coveting the Target cardi… However, is the color on the Peri cameo green or blue? It's hard to tell from the photos.