Chanel Petite Shopping Tote & Wallet on Chain WOC Review

Although handbags can “make” or complete an outfit, I rarely show them on my blog. I have a very small collection, so you guys would surely get sick of seeing them! After college I purged all of my bags (many of them awkwardly-sized) and started fresh. I wanted to invest carefully in pieces that were beautiful and timeless, that were suitable for my size, and most importantly – were functional.

Video review:

1. Petite Shopping Tote (PST) 9″ width x 9″ height x 3″ depth

Beautiful, classic tote – but for reasons mentioned in the video, isn’t the most functional for me
pst2pst1
pst3

2. Wallet on Chain (WOC) – 7″ length x 5″ height x 1″ depth

This bag wasn’t even on my radar until I discovered (non-petite) Anh of 9to5chic. She always looks effortlessly polished, and her WOC makes frequent appearances in outfits for all sorts of occasions. The WOC satisfies all of my requirements. It can be worn as a:
-long shoulder bag
– clutch
– double-chained purse; or
– cross-body bag
woc1woc2
woc3woc4
Dress: J.Crew paisley sheath sz 0P, altered
Booties: Adrienne Vittadini “adam”
YSL Arty Ring in Turquoise, sz 5 (taped)

I got lucky and purchased both of these pre-owned. I don’t discriminate against pre-owned Chanel as long as it’s in excellent condition and comes with all the original packaging (box, dustbag, tags, auth card). The current retail price of the PST is around $1600, and the rectangular caviar WOC goes for around $1300.

Readers – What is your favorite go-to handbag?

54 thoughts on “Chanel Petite Shopping Tote & Wallet on Chain WOC Review

• Really Petite February 13, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Great video and post Jean! Did u just get the WOC? Great choice:-)
    I just got the beige Chanel I've been wanting….love Chanel..hehehe

• Elle February 13, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I meant to comment on your youtube video but I can't seem to figure out my youtube account for some reason (I always forget the password). Very helpful review and I love the WOC as well. I wanted to get a PST several years ago but am glad I didn't because it's sort of an awkward size for my purposes as well.

• kileen February 13, 2011 at 10:56 pm

oooh, i love your Chanel bags! i've been thinking about getting a Chanel too but will need to save up for awhile before I can invest in one. great video and i liked how you gave the pros and cons of each purse.

cute and little

• Michelle February 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Beautiful! I love both…but am loving how versatile the wallet on chain is!

Your hair is gorgeous in the video!! And… can never get enough of your J. Crew dress! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Edwina February 13, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Both bags look amazing! I love how classic Chanel looks. I've yet to own my first Chanel bag, but I'm planning for the big purchase in the coming year or two. I'm thinking of the grand shopping tote. I'm a fan of both black and beige, not sure which one I like more, but black is definitely more durable. Thanks for showing us all the details of your bags. It's hard to come by such detailed descriptions of Chanel bags! And it's sometimes intimidating to walk into the store and examine their bags one by one, if you know what I mean! haha ๐Ÿ˜›

• grace February 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Wow, what a thorough video – I love how classic the Chanel bags are, and I'd love to invest in one classic couture piece eventually. I have a lot of random purses that I find aren't the greatest, and I should follow your lead to get something more classic.

Did you keep both? (and always, you look wonderful!)

• โ™ฅโ˜ฎRenee February 13, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I also have a rather small handbag collection and try to invest in quality bags that are functional, versatile, and timeless. My current "go-to" is my black leather Coach "Hailey" crossbody. I love that I can wear it as a crossbody (which is extremely comfortable and convenient) or convert it to a shoulder bag. I mostly dress very casual so it is perfect for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

• PetiteXXS February 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I really love this video Jean. Chanel is definitely on my wish list, but I've always kept my distance and haven't done any research since I don't even want to be tempted! But now I'm seriously wanting that WOC! I didn't realize how versatile it is, and I love how you can adjust the chain to so many different lengths. Do you mind sharing how much you got it for? Just so I know if it's even within a do-able price range for me, pre-owned and all.

• lisa February 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm

love your chanels.. they're so pretty on you ๐Ÿ™‚

my favorite go to handbag is well.. any of my chanel babies!! love them to death hahaha.

• lisa February 14, 2011 at 12:02 am

haha i got so excited that you did a post about chanel i forgot to mention.. that i love my WOC too.. and i use to have a GST.. but sold it mostly because it was so bulky/boxy.. and heavy.. and i found it not very useful too.. so sorta similar to how you felt with the PST.

• R.L. February 14, 2011 at 12:30 am

Excellent review and video! I especially loved the close-ups! Such great video quality. Both purses look so lovely with your Arty ring and dress. I think my fav would be the WOC. Like PetiteXXS said, I didn't realize how versatile it could be. After reading this review, I of course want one too ๐Ÿ™‚ But I have to stick to my Longchamp tote for now because I carry way too much with me.

• Anonymous February 14, 2011 at 12:42 am

Thank you for a thorough review. I like the video too. You look great!

• Irene February 14, 2011 at 12:47 am

Great Chanel collection Jean – when you said 4-5 bags I thought Chanel at first and was like WOAH! Mondo collection. But 2 is still *very* impressive. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have been LUSTING over the Classic double flap black lambskin handbag for the longest time…and it seems with Chanel the prices just go up, never down. It is definitely an investment piece!

Despite it not being as functional for you, that shopping tote is GORGEOUS and I love the clutch – perfect evening bag.

Thanks for sharing your collection! Can't wait to start my own one day. ๐Ÿ˜€

• The Girlie Blog February 14, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love the quilted look of Chanel bags. Very classy and signature. I'd love to get one that's been pre-owned.

• Anonymous February 14, 2011 at 2:09 am

I'd like to find out if this bag is heavy. I usually put the same amount of stuff you have on my Burberry bag however I found my shoulder aching after a day in the city.

• Danielle C February 14, 2011 at 5:15 am

my go to handbag is usually a hobo bag lol… but i would love to have a Chanel bag! It's on my list of wants! I love the gold chain details.

• Leena February 14, 2011 at 6:39 am

you look immaculate jean! i love the purse and woc. i'm DYING to get a chanel, but have to save up for it. and the arty ring looks so pretty on your fingers. almost makes me rethink my choice on picking the coral ๐Ÿ™‚

• pearls and green tea February 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

I love the WOC and have been eyeing several for awhile now. I never considered pre-owned. What site did you buy them through? How did you know they were authentic? Help! THanks!!

jiye
    pearlsandgreentea.blogspot.com

• Banhannas February 14, 2011 at 10:33 am

I have to say that the petite shopping tote isn't my favorite either. For some reason the quilted design looks larger than their other classic Chanel bags but I may be wrong … since I don't own one. =0P
    I was going to mention you can sew two tiny loops on each side underneath the flap with a button to hold the straps in place. However, sewing into leather or any addition to a Chanel is probably not a good idea.
    My favorite go to bag is my Coach wristlet, I'm pretty much a very tiny purse carrier. I am definitely lusting for a Chanel piece! Maybe some day!

• shoppingtosaving February 14, 2011 at 11:04 am

Great video! My favorite Chanel bag is my Chanel Diamond Stitch Tote. I have the large version and it's perfect for me. There is a also a smaller version. The handstraps are not too comfortable for all day wear such as for shopping, etc.

My 2nd favorite bag is my Louis Vuitton Galliera. It's so comfortable! I don't have to worry about damaging it since it's canvas. I wear it almost everyday.

Thirdly, I love my Balenciaga city. It's very casual and simple. Perfect with any outfit and great size with a zipper.

• JenlovesBal February 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

I did consider the PST at one point, but I ended up passing because of the double straps. I wasn't sure if one of the chains would slip off on my slanted shoulders.

I would love to invest in a Jumbo flap one day!

Of course, I do love my Balenciaga Cities though! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous February 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Both of the bags are great… But what I like the best is your nail color. Can you tell me what it is? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Justine February 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I don't have a "to-go" handbag, but I should get one….tehehehehe

Just Better Together

• mirigoround February 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

hmm the LV Neverfull in Damier is ubiquitous and even unoriginal- but it sure takes a beating! It's great for work and school– and maybe function as a diaper bag when the day comes. I also use a Marc Jacobs Venetia in black, but not as often because it is a bit heavy for everyday use and too big for going out =P

• SewPetiteGal February 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Like Liane, Chanel has always been on my wishlist (as well as Hermes but I think Chanel is much more realistic) but I've never done any research because I wanted to avoid temptation. But seeing you, Cee, Elle, Annie, and Kelly…sigh… consider me tempted! I really like the WOC on you!

• PetiteLittleGirl February 14, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Thanks for a very informative review, Jean. You always did such a great on reviews. These pros and cons are very helpful for someone who is looking into investment pieces like Chanel. I really like the WOC on you. It's pefect for petites and also fits your lifestyle.

• SheiAbes February 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Hi, I love Chanel but I can't afford to buy a new one. Would you mind posting any pre-owned Chane purse that you'd come across? Thank you much!

• curls-and-pearls February 14, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Yay finally watched the video! You have the classic flap too right? I would love to see a review of that. Nevermind price (I could PROBABLY afford to get a Chanel purse but I just don't have the mind frame to invest in one – at least not at the moment ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) but the PST wouldn't work for me due to the closure as well – I'd be too paranoid. And I carry WAY more than what the WOC would hold! I'm actually embarrassed by how much I carry in my purses! Hmmm…maybe I should come clean and do a post one day ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Petite Mom February 14, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Nice review! I also use my Chanel WOC all the time. I have the classic quilted one so it looks like the mini flap. I throw it in my diaper bag or other larger bag (@mirigoround – I sometimes use my LV Neverfull as a diaper bag and it works great) and use it as a wallet when I need to change purses. And use it as a purse when I don't have much to carry. It's the best!

petitemom.blogspot.com

• Anh February 15, 2011 at 1:41 am

Ahh! Thanks for the mention! Love your classic black WOC – I'm sure it's going to be a staple for years and years to come!!! And dying over the YSL ring!! I've been holding off on the purchase by substituting cheap F21 and H&M; rings!

• Ping February 15, 2011 at 2:17 am

jean one of these days im going to buy me a chanel bag…

i love that you have a small and a big one. chanel is so classic and definitely goes with everything you wear.

did you ever watch that movie…confession of a shopaholic? there's a scene with the green scarf where she goes "it makes my eyes look bigger, it makes my haircut look more expensive, … hahaha! i can see myself saying that with a chanel bag.

• Petiteรฉlรฉgant February 15, 2011 at 7:50 am

the small chanel clutch is perfect for petite

• Gjee February 15, 2011 at 8:35 am

loved your video! i watched it the other day and gosh, you're even prettier in motion!

let me know what questions you have about purchasing Chanel, i might be able to help! when you you mentioned you were interested in the original small flap, did you mean the Mini or the M/l? the m/l is the most popular one so i'm guessing you meant that one?

i can definitely see you getting a beige flap next. its perfectly work appropriate and just as stunning. some ppl mentioned having an issue with color transfer from their jeans but i'm sure you take great care of your bags!

do you do Bonanzle? I strongly recommend it! there aren't any spectacular deals at the moment but its only a matter of time. about a month ago, i saw a black lambskin m/l with gold hardware in absolute perfect condition, with the box, etc for only $1400. the Maxi in perfect condition was only $1700. i saw a perfect beige m/l for around $1600 as well!

definitely check that site often! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Gjee February 15, 2011 at 8:37 am

oh and i'm totally back to coveting the WOC thanks to your video. T_T lol i've been lusting for that bag for soo long now, that exact model. off to cry in a corner now hahaha ๐Ÿ˜‰

• fashionforteens February 15, 2011 at 9:55 am

Great review Jean! I never really consider all of these factors when buying a purse but I really should, especially when buying an investment piece. I love both of these bags but understand your issues with both. My favorite Chanel bag though would have to be the classic 2.55, so expensive though! I love your ring too, so cute!

• Stella February 15, 2011 at 10:12 am

Beautiful dress. Where do you purchase pre-owned bags in Boston?

• Curvy Petite February 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm

hi Jean, I wanted to let you know that I received the boots! They are such in mint condition! How do you do that! Also, thanks for the extras, I loved it and was not expecting it! *hugs

• Rinny February 15, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Great post! I agree that the WOC is a better choice – I love how versatile it is and how you can wear it so many ways. I'd love to own a Chanel flap bag one day ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous February 15, 2011 at 11:17 pm

It's the perfect length to wear on the shoulder but it's a little long for the elbow or the hand to carry as a tote.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments and for watching the video!

@Edwina Definitely know what you mean…the S.A. always follows me like a hawk when I'm in the boutique, constantly asking if I need assistance. Not a fun shopping/browsing experience!

@grace Hi Grace! Yes I kept both : )

@lisa Ah, good choice to sell it then! Didn't realize it'd be heavy. I can't bring myself to sell mine though even though it gets no use.

@R.L. Longchamp is my everyday work bag…can't abuse Chanels with heavy books and laptops!

@Anonymous I don't find the bag itself to be heavy (unlike some bags), but after I load it up with everything shown in the video, it is heavy.

@pearls and green tea I bought them in-person after I inspected so I could be sure they were authentic.

@Banhannas Interesting idea, I'm sure there is a similar alternative that doesn't involve sewing onto the strap. I'll have to do some research!

@Anonymous Hi! It's Revlon Plum Night. Frequently on sale at drugstores!

@SheiAbes There are constantly many many up for sale on sites like eBay and bonanza. Or you could go into a store that specializes in pre-owned handbags : )