• Petite Fashion Challenge #5: Non-Gloomy Winter Work Wear

For new readers, visit this thread for more information on past challenges or to find out about future ones.

This month’s challenge is hosted by Cynthia, a Toronto petite and writer of Shorty Stories. Visit her blog to see her entry and links to everyone’s participating outfits. The challenge:

“It’s winter in the northern hemisphere…the challenge this month is to brighten your work wardrobe. Create a sophisticated work-appropriate look that has no more than one dark piece (excluding shoes, accessories and hosiery).”

I immediately had an outfit in mind. My coworker styled a “winter brights” outfit for me not too long ago, involving a vintage purple skirt and ruffly floral top. Alas, on picture day I misplaced my beloved floral top (as seen in this post). Unable to find other prints or brights in my tiny closet, I had to make do with this plain ole cream blouse. Now this outfit hardly qualifies for the challenge : /

pfc54pfc53

Blouse: H&M; sz 2, fits like 00
    Pencil Skirt: Ann Taylor sz 2 (vintage)
    Heels: Ann Taylor Perfect Pumps sz 5  Cameo Bracelet: Topshop
    Everything in this outfit is old, but loved. The blouse I got last year after seeing Ping style it so nicely, and the skirt is a Savers thrift store find. I came across an Ann Taylor size 2 pencil skirt and was amazed by how small it looked. I slipped it on and the waist was a perfect, snug fit! It just needed slimming along the hips, and shortening, as it wasn’t petites. Crazy to think that current-day Ann Taylor skirts in sz 00P may still require costly waist and hip alterations (an inflation of THREE sizes!).
    pfc51

I wonder how old this is? Can you judge by the tag?

But would it be worth the cost of alterations? My eyes raced to the material tag. 100% wool and fully lined – test passed! The skirt itself was just $5, so even with the cost of dry cleaning ($5) and alterations ($20), it came out to be much cheaper than any other pencil skirt I own. When thrifting, I encourage you guys to look for unique colors, prints, or textures in skirts that are made with quality materials. If only simple alterations are needed, you can end up with a “different” piece at a great price.

My beloved Hemmingway tailors:
    pfc56

Side/back view to show how small the vintage sz 2 waist fit (I am ~5 ft, 90 lbs):
    pfc52

Oh, just to reiterate how tiny the closet is in my Boston apartment…this is IT. It’s 2.5 feet wide, shallow, plus I share it with a boy with large clothes (lots and lots of flannel). I’ve no choice but to hold another blog sale soon to make way for recent purchases. Maybe next Thursday night (Feb 3rd)?
    pfc5

Be sure to visit Shorty Stories to see all the other outfits. This has been a:

51 thoughts on “Petite Fashion Challenge #5: Non-Gloomy Winter Work Wear

• Anh January 25, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Wow – gorgeous thrift find! That purple is lovely!

• fashionforteens January 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Love that skirt, such a pretty color! This was such a fun challenge to do!

• Elle January 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Is it bad that I just canceled my Thursday night dinner plans for next week? ๐Ÿ™‚

That skirt…what a find! I love the color and am as amazed as you are how much sizes have inflated over the last few years. Where do go thrifting in Boston? One of my college roomies lives in Brighton (I think last time I was there it wasn't too far by train from Boston) and I visit her a lot so maybe when I am there next I can check out what Boston's second hand scene has to offer!

p.s. thanks for the offer to pick up the Stila gloss for me, I think I may just order online and take the 40%. BF is ordering some sweaters and I may get him to just let me throw in some of my things. ๐Ÿ™‚ did you see more of the cosabella thongs in stores by chance?

• kileen January 25, 2011 at 8:26 pm

i'm amazed you were able to find an AT skirt while thrifting! the color is absolutely beautiful and it's definitely worth the alteration money. and that picture of you with your tailors is too cute! i'm sure you're one of their favorite customers. ๐Ÿ™‚

cute and little
      come join the Color Brigade!

• Tara January 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

The skirt itself totally fits the bill for the challenge! It is really a unique color, one that I sure wish I had!

• CynthiaC January 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I can't believe how much AT has vanity sized! Size 2? Probably smaller than a current 00P! Love the blue. I'm trying to get myself to wear more bright colours too! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Megan January 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm

You know my love of purple- obsessed with that skirt, and the blouse is to die for. I see you're rocking hose; I've been on the fence about whether or not we're too young for hose, but I feel like you executed them well. I only own tights at this point, but maybe I'll pick up a pair…

• curls-and-pearls January 25, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Wow beautiful colour skirt. LOL I love the picture with your tailors – you have certainly brought them a lot of business I'm sure! Looking forward to your blog sale ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Alterations Needed January 25, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Oh, vanity sizing…I hate you so much! It's amazing what sizing was like just a few years ago compared to today. And I loooove the pic of your tailors! So cute!

• Justine January 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Oh that IS old. I am guessing it's from the early 90's. I will hop into my mom's closet the next time I am over there. She is in love with Ann Taylor and Talbots.

I'd love to see your closet and possibly shop your closet too!

Just Better Together
      come check out my giveaway!

• April January 25, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I love the outfit! ๐Ÿ™‚ OMG that vintage Ann Taylor skirt is gorgeous! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am so loving that blouse, gonna see if it's still at H&M;/ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Design girl January 25, 2011 at 8:57 pm

What a great skirt. And I think you should host a blog sale next week! I'd like to add some clothes to my closet. ๐Ÿ™‚

• The Little Dust Princess January 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm

So lovely! I rarely see you wear white blouses alone, but this outfit is so chic and put together. I don't think I can pull off a plain ruffly white blouse as well as you.

xx The Little Dust Princess

• Petite Mom January 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm

What a pretty skirt! I like how you kept the outfit simple and let the color of the skirt pop. I'd love to see the original top paired with the skirt once it comes out from hiding. I can relate to having little closet space living in NYC. I need to purge also.

• Em January 25, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I love the cobalt! It's probably my favorite color. I wish I wore it more!

I hear you on the vanity sizing – it's ridiculous! I'd peg that Ann Taylor as maybe late 80s/early-mid 90s.

• ReallyPetite January 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I have that blouse! I blogged about it Nov but had no idea Ping had it too! It looks great on you!

That skirt is def worth tailoring- super pretty:)

• R.L. January 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm

The indigo/blue shade of the color is so beautiful. What a unique find! And I can't believe how tiny your closet is… but I guess that's where being petite helps. Looking forward to that blog sale ๐Ÿ™‚

And so nice to see the tailors who've done such a nice job on so many of your pieces!

• Kandice January 25, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Love the color of the skirt!

• PetiteLittleGirl January 25, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Great outfit as always, Jean! The color looks lovely on you. I can't believe vintage size 2 was a perfect fit for you. Now we can't even fit into a 00P. It's pretty crazy! I am also looking forward to your blog sale.

• Ledda January 25, 2011 at 9:49 pm

You look very pretty and classy as usual. Great find. I love when I find some expensive pieces for $5. Do you have a favorite thrifty store in Boston? I'd like to check some out. Thanks

• betty; January 25, 2011 at 9:57 pm

thanks soo much ^^ i love your outfit too especially the shirt, so ruffly <3 and i don't own many coloured pencil skirts and the purple one is very cute

• Gracie January 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love the sleeves to that blouse. I am currently pinning over loose sleeves of that nature; such a classic feminine look.

The skirt has such a lovely tone to it. Great thrifting!

• DoubleZero January 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Your poses are always natural & cute! I don't think I could pull off a ruffly white blouse like you. Looking forward to the blog sale ๐Ÿ™‚

• Cee January 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Don't be hard on yourself, Jean. Winter white is never boring! And it's especially gorgeous paired with this royal skirt. I still can't get over how this is a size 2 on you o.O

I think the picture of you with your Hemmingway tailors is so cute. Are they really tiny or are you standing on one of those stool things? ๐Ÿ™‚

• PetiteXXS January 25, 2011 at 11:11 pm

What a great find! And so glad to finally put a face to your infamous tailors! I can't believe you make do with that lil closet… I so know what you mean about men's clothes being so big & bulky (esp compared to our petite clothing!). Hubby has 1/4 the amount of clothes I do but still take up the same amount of closet space. And he fills up the laundry basket faster too!

• Ping January 25, 2011 at 11:47 pm

jean– that blouse looks gorgeous on you and i love the skirt. its such a pretty deep purple and definitely fits you well. kudos to your tailors! haha so cute you took pics with them.

• I am Khatu January 26, 2011 at 12:04 am

the skirt is the great find. I tried thrifting a few times but i just can't get over the smell and with my bad experiences at Second Time Around (the devil!), I just can't bring myself to do it again. Too bad about the blouse! when you find it, do a follow up post, I would love to see the complete look.

• A.Li January 26, 2011 at 12:34 am

I LOVE the skirt. Like the color combination and how you paired it! I think H&M; sizes are getting smaller- size 2 fit like size 00. I noticed that I can't fit in XS small anymore at H&M.; Maybe I gained weight, lol.

• Michelle January 26, 2011 at 12:50 am

Wow!! What a pretty skirt!

And I thought i recognized that skirt from Ping's blog!!

Although your closet may be small, you do have awesome floors!! I love them!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Liana January 26, 2011 at 2:12 am

i don't know what you're talking about, i absolutely love this outfit! i haven't seen you in anything so bright before and it looks great on you, especially with the white shirt to make it stand out more! ๐Ÿ™‚

Fashion Bag 411
      Beauty Bag 411

• *chameleon* January 26, 2011 at 4:08 am

maybe u wear "old" items but they look fantastic!!!such a polished look!!!!!:))

• Erin January 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh I love it! I think you definitely qualify for the challenge – the skirt is dark but bright ๐Ÿ™‚

And hmmm… If you're a size 2 in old Ann Taylor, I'd be a 6 or 8 – what a crazy thought!

• Nelah January 26, 2011 at 11:21 am

Your selection on colors are easy on the eyes, simple yet beautiful. I especially like that white blouse, looks great with your blue skirt. Great find! You slowly inspire me to try thrift shopping!

• Kiki January 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm

What a great outfit! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a skirt in that shade– I love jewel tones! xoxo Kiki

• AubreyOhDang! January 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I wonder how petite your tailors are if you're a couple of inches taller than them. Mb that's a good thing. they understand and can relate to the alterations you ask for.

• Anonymous January 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

So happy to have found your blog — and happy that I'm not the only one who finds Ann Taylor petite sizes GIANT. I swim in them.

• Nkauj January 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Gorgeous blouse and I love the color of your skirt. definitely uplifting in gloomy weather

• Emmy January 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I love this outfit! The blouse is just gorgeous and it is a great pairing with the skirt.

• Erica January 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Vanity sizing sure is crazy. I'm a size 00P like you, but my mom's size 6 clothes from the 70s are too tight on me!

• Vicky January 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oh, Jean. I love the blue on you! Classy lady!
      It's so funny to see a picture of you towering over two other adults. Almost unreal! lol.
      That closet is tiny and I can't imagine how you can fit everything you have in there and share with Nick. Blog sale is great. If only I have room in my closet for more goodies!!!