Reader Request: How to Look Older in Casual Attire

Reader Request: “I’m a 23 year old 5ft 90lb Asian girl who often gets mistaken for a 15 year old (or an 18 year old on a good day). Can you offer any fashion advice on how to look more your age? Specifically when it comes to casual clothes. I’m in grad school in the sciences and don’t have the benefit of wearing nice professional clothes.”

Being the approximate age and size of this reader, I set out to illustrate her situation. I put on my “grad student of the sciences” ensemble: sweatshirt, jeans, sneaks, and a curious face. I avoided makeup and pulled my hair back into a simple ponytail. I pictured my parents nodding vigorously in approval (their mantra is: a minute wasted on makeup, hair, or fashion is a minute that could’ve been better spent on studying). End result – below left.

Before (left): Ready to get carded for a PG-13 movie.
After (right): A few changes make a big difference in age.

Left: Gap hoodie PXS, A&F; kids tee sz M, True Religion “Joey” kids sz 12, New Balance sneaks kids sz 4

Right: Banana Republic top PXXS, J.Crew cardigan XS, True Religion “Stella” kids sz 12, Cole Haan flats sz 5

To keep casual and grad school-appropriate (I’m picturing long treks across campus and hours studying in the library), I avoided high heels. I wouldn’t call myself fashionable, so keep in mind these aren’t tips to look more stylish, or taller – just more mature:

And although this isn’t fashion advice – I feel that looking more mature or sophisticated truly starts at one’s face. Asians, especially, tend to have young baby faces that can really be transformed with a little eyeliner, mascara (on curled lashes), and bronzer. The products I’m wearing can be found in my everyday makeup for beginners video. Huge difference:

Continue reading for more suggestions…

I decided to put together another outfit for casual weekend-wear:

Before (left): going to jump rope in the park
After (right): going to an outdoor bistro lunch w/ handsome date (yea yea, humor me)
Left: Abercrombie tee XS, A&F; kids shorts sz 12, Old Navy flip flops
Right: Gap white tee sz XS, H&M; shorts sz 2, Alfani sandals (Macy’s) sz 6 “borrowed” from Mom, BR earrings

You’d be surprised at how many people I see around Boston donning jorts (jean shorts), a graphic tee, and rubber flip flops. What could look acceptable on a normal sized woman, though, is devastatingly childish on a tiny petite. My tips for the casual “tee and shorts” outfit:

Low wedges and strappy sandals are my must-haves for summer. I love strolling around Boston, but I don’t enjoy doing so tottering in heels or flopping around in rubber thongs. I’ve amassed several pairs of summer “walking shoes” from Macy’s and Target at decent prices.

Hope you guys found this post somewhat helpful, or at the least – entertaining! I also hope I didn’t offend any grad students. I have no idea how the reader in question dresses typically, so just gave it my best shot.

Readers – please share your tips on looking or dressing your age : )

196 thoughts on “Reader Request: How to Look Older in Casual Attire

• Erin May 25, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Somewhat helpful? WOW! This post is awesome!

Definitely saving this one and referring to it the next time I want to wear a hoodie haha

• iamlisaaa May 25, 2010 at 11:15 pm

you look absolutely stunning in the "tee and shorts" outfit! i had to examine your pictures cause i couldn't believe that was you before and after. you look so young! envy!

• April May 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Do you work out your legs? They are unique–so much muscle tone–lucky!!

• aspiringminimalist May 25, 2010 at 11:33 pm

This is such a great post! Thanks so much, PAG.

You look so different in the "before" and "after" pictures. Much more mature and put together.

I love the way sandals and low wedges look for summer.

• Dasha May 25, 2010 at 11:34 pm

In the last 'before' picture, you look EXACTLY like one of my best friends in junior high school… in junior high school. I seriously had to do a double take… Amy??? LOL πŸ™‚

These tips are spectacular. I'm in grad school myself and dress more like the "after" pictures and my friends all tease me for dressing up too much! Then again, they get asked what school they go to by high school boys on the bus, and I don't.

Now can you do a post on what to wear under a suit? I could use some new ideas…

• tris1978ton May 25, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Gorgeous then, gorgeous now. No matter what the style.

• Ariel May 25, 2010 at 11:37 pm

This was so fun and interesting to read! You look adorable even in the tee/no makeup xx

• Couture and Crayons May 25, 2010 at 11:54 pm

This hits close to home. I was recently asked if I was here for the summer (I was shopping in a college town). I responded yes. LOL. Since I am in my 30's it is nice to be mistaken as a co-ed. Ha. A baby on the hip adds a few years. But in all seriousness, I think taking a little time to take care of yourself, putting on some make up and putting together a decent outfit will make all the difference in the world.

• Alterations Needed May 26, 2010 at 12:07 am

"and a curious face." ==> LOL!

It's really amazing the difference slight tweeks in clothing can make! Love the before and after pics.

Since I'm also in the sciences, I can't wear high heels everyday, which are my weekend "look my age" weapon. So at work, my secret weapon are kitten heels! They are easy to walk in, give me a tiny bit of extra height, and look adult enough to keep me from being carded at the movies. =)

• Edwina May 26, 2010 at 12:23 am

wow, awesome post!! You do look a lot more mature after the 'transformation' in a good way! However, I think you still look very cute before 'transforming' heheh πŸ˜€

• Rainy Days and Lattes May 26, 2010 at 12:25 am

Wow, jumping rope? LOL πŸ˜€ That is a funny example! :p

Bronzer really does enhance the look of any face, especially more fair skinned gals. I never made the connection before, but from your examples, I think it's the basics of looking your age!

You look much more mature, but still a young woman πŸ™‚ (you look great!) Sometimes when it's overdone, it just looks bad. I think really red lipstick makes a person look older.

I work in the accounting field, and I don't always dress up. Sometimes, I don't even wear makeup. I guess I occasionally look like someone who'd be getting ready to jump rope after work @ 5pm :p Someone in another dept even asked me how old I was when i went to work in (literally) jeans and t-shirt. Now, I try to sport mature-er looking pieces, such a cardigans and muted jewelry and embellished tops. I'll try that bronzer thing though πŸ™‚

• sophia May 26, 2010 at 12:26 am

GOOD JOB!!! OMG this is so funny, I love the pics on the left! Totally takes me back to college and h.s. days of wearing A&F; logo tees or the character tees! LOL @ "going to jumprope in park" ~ how cute!

The last outfit ~ LOOOOVE! Where are the sandals and shorts from??

I agree about walking around Boston. I pretty much only wear heels (unless it's cold enough to wear Uggs) so I struggled like a dumbass walking around Harvard Square and that area near Martha Stewart's house… the brick and unpaved roads are cute and all but UNPRACTICAL for wearing heels!!! Newbury St is like really the only safe place for that haha.

Can you do a post on keeping shirts tucked into pants? LOL not sure if there's a trick for that, but that's one thing that's always annoyed me about wearing pants, so I avoid it entirely and just tuck into highwaisted skirts.

• sophia May 26, 2010 at 12:28 am

omg scratch my question about the stuff you're wearing.. I see you posted it >.

• D May 26, 2010 at 12:33 am

I love this post, cause it's so me. I need to revamp myself to look more mature. I am so plain jane!! you have helped so much!!

• ipehishere May 26, 2010 at 12:40 am

lol i love the right side outfit more but the left side outfit is looks more comfortable πŸ˜€

• WhiteRabbit'sTime May 26, 2010 at 12:47 am

WOW~ I enjoyed this post a lot!
    Your blog is so amazingly informative and you are gorgeous^___^
    I am going to take all the info. in and use it.

XOXO

Miss. P

• Wendy May 26, 2010 at 12:54 am

*Chortles* LOL!

I definitely tend to look like the left side, especially with the hoodies! I'm trying tp phase them out currently though πŸ˜› I guess it's okay for me to look like a college kid, since I actually am one ^^

Very entertaining post, with some great tips as well!

• Jessica May 26, 2010 at 1:04 am

WOW this a great post and I love these after outfits!

I was discussing w/ Janice and I figured out that I didn't get too caught up in the tshirt/hoodie period when I was younger b/c I wore uniforms through elementary/jr high/hs so whenever I went shopping I would buy more "dressy" clothes for the weekend. I think my fashionable mom helped as well (thank goodness!)

Also, I just found some pretty cognac sandals after seeing your previous posts (Bandolino Fortunatas)! I am currently breaking them in for my trip to LA (painful!)

• Ping May 26, 2010 at 1:06 am

hahah that is hilarious! i love it. i like the splash of color in there…green scares me but you did a good job with pairing the colors. the earrings are so cute too. <3

• tris1978ton May 26, 2010 at 1:06 am

In response to your question on my "Olive Oil as makeup remover" post, no, olive oil is extremely gentle on the eyes. I have never suffered from irritation.

• nicole May 26, 2010 at 1:19 am

I love this post! The asian parents mantra made me laugh because it's so true. and "jorts" is a new one on me haha I love it. The "before" and "after" shots truly show how small changes like how one wears her hair and some makeup can make a petite girl look more mature. I think you did a fantastic job with this reader request. You're so thorough and make a lot of great points. Not to mention, you look really polished and put together. I love the casual weekend outfit, it's simple but chic; I love your mom's sandals haha. Great job babe!

• Angie May 26, 2010 at 1:23 am

this is super helpful! πŸ™‚ i wanted to promise myself never to dress like the girl on the left anymore but school does make it hard πŸ˜€

you do a great job of looking your age ^__^

• Anonymous May 26, 2010 at 1:25 am

This post is hilarious and I can totally relate. I graduated from UCSD and there are many girls like your "before" picture walking around our campus! LOL. What a difference makeup & clothing can make.

• locke May 26, 2010 at 2:02 am

WOW, thanks for sharing! am planning a wardrobe makeover and this is just on time =) yeah, huge difference between the homey simple look to vava-voom outfit and make up! Love it! thanks thanks =) xoxo

• Lady Cardigan May 26, 2010 at 3:07 am

I'm not tiny, but I am very thin, and well into my 30s I was mistaken for someone much younger. I'm too old for that to happen much now, but I still sometimes get called "honey" if the light isn't good! I need to work at dressing like a grown up, and I think this is a great, helpful post. Thank you.

• Lindsey Anne May 26, 2010 at 3:43 am

So true! Great post. I've thought about these style elements in bits and pieces but haven't seen it written anywhere! Thanks for the tips. I've just started following your blog because it's so informative! Looking forward to future posts πŸ™‚

• Liana May 26, 2010 at 3:59 am

great post! lol i often get mistaken for a teenager too, although now that im getting older its not as annoying πŸ˜›

• ye55i May 26, 2010 at 4:49 am

Wow! this is really a nice post! i love how you compare both of the looks.. yes, they are so different. thank you for sharing! πŸ˜‰

• Anonymous May 26, 2010 at 6:13 am

Thanks for the post! I was the reader who asked and you actually definitely hit the mark on how grad students dress, lol. The before and after pictures really show how styling goes a long way. Thanks for sharing and I'm definitely going to put these tips into practice!

• PetiteLittleGirl May 26, 2010 at 6:47 am

Your post is pretty awesome. What a big difference! Although, I don't have that problem. I always look older than my age πŸ™‚ LOL

• Dreamcatcher May 26, 2010 at 8:08 am

Wow..I love this post !I love the way you write πŸ™‚ At 34 am still told that I look just the way I did back in school..well..always leaves me confused about whether to be happy or sad about it πŸ™

• FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com May 26, 2010 at 8:27 am

This is a really great guide. I don't need help in this area, as I'm 5'4", but I do notice that when I wear sweats, dress down and tie my hair back, people assume I'm younger than when I wear a little makeup

• Kerry May 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

This is a great post. I just finished grad school, but I waited to go back when I was 31, so I deliberately had to try dress younger to fit in with everyone else (I still look younger, but I couldn't wear my 'teacher clothes' to the lab).
    I laugh at the other grad students who do not seem to own any clothes that are not logo t-s, athletic attire and flip flops. We did a professional photo shoot for our lab group and the others did not have any appropriate clothes for the photographs. I had to lecture them on the importance of having one good pair of shoes.
    As for being mistaken for a preteen – I was in a cycling race this weekend and as we were lining up one of the officials freaked out and said "there's a junior lined up with the pro women" and then he walked up to me and demanded if I was indeed in the correct field "Are you a pro?". I was like 'yeah, I am. I'm 33. I've been racing for 12 years. I think I know which field to race in.'

It's basically impossible for me to look my age at bike races – helmet, sunglasses and lycra destroy any chances of looking fashionable or mature.

• daisy351 May 26, 2010 at 9:15 am

Definitely good advice! I'm also a grad student in the sciences, so I know what it's like. The problem is that I work with all guys, so they make strange comments if I start to dress up. Also, due to foot problems, I have to wear sneakers because I need arch support.

• J-ezzy May 26, 2010 at 9:45 am

Wow girl, that's quite an amazing post, I didn't realize what a difference you could make!!!

btw – I was in Boston last week and let me say, it's a beautiful city!! I was by the Harbor (it was quite dreary, but beautiful nonetheless), the view from the building I was in was stunning, I'll post the really crappy pics soon!

• PetiteXXS May 26, 2010 at 10:35 am

I love it! You have such a mischevious expression in that first before picture (must be your curious face!). And that's totally me in college (I even have pictures to prove it!). The 'after' pics are all stunning… especially the white tee and shorts… I love that look!

But other than to be taken seriously at work, I actually don't mind looking young for my age when I'm off duty (especially because hubby also looks young for his age). That is face-wise… but wardrobe-wise I definitely agree that the hoodie and tees days are be behind me at this age and I'm only slowly starting to learn what age-appropriate and stylish casual wear really means. Thanks for the tips and very helpful and entertaining post!

• Anonymous May 26, 2010 at 10:49 am

omg this is so helpful! can you please do more poss like this?!

• PetiteGorgeous May 26, 2010 at 11:17 am

Fabulous post, PAG!
    The "before" looks are definitely very sad and boring looking. The "after" looks are certainly very sophisticated.

When I started my doctoral program I got rid of my backpack and invested in a notebook case to carry my laptop in. Backpacks are definitely for undergraduates and high schoolers heh. I was surprised to find that about 95% of my readings come from journal articles online.

• Irene May 26, 2010 at 11:45 am

OMG LOVE this post! You look admittedly adorable in the 'before pics' — but some GREAT pointers on how to dress more age appropriate. Sometimes I want to steal you away as my personal fashion adviser LOL!

Also, isn't makeup amazing sometimes? πŸ™‚ And I love how you 'borrowed' shoes from Mom – I do that all the time too πŸ™‚

• K May 26, 2010 at 11:46 am

Dress/skirt and jewelry! Most people look bad in shorts, even me who has great legs!

Take a bbq – most people think casual, right? But you can be too casual. I always wear a dress, even if just a plain cotton jersey dress.

• Sara May 26, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Great post! You could even exchange "looking older" for "looking more put together" and the message would still be the same! Love it! πŸ™‚

• hugstiem May 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Lol, this post is frickin' amazing.

Me in undergrad – left pic
    Me in grad school – right pic

Man, I have sooo many Threadless tees in my closet from my undergrad "uniform."

• Janice May 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm

What a fantastic and well-written post! I have only recently started to read your blog, but this was such a thoughtful post that I had to comment. I'm a 31 y/o petite Asian woman who likes to get away w/ wearing some kids clothing, but gets carded every time!

I'm actually going to law school this fall and was wondering if you had ideas on sophisticated non-backpack options? Someone else had mentioned a notebook case, but if you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

• Jackie May 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Thank you for posting this!! So many petites have this issue and don't how to fix it! I learned this the hard way unfortunately =( DRESSING the part and wearing the make-up goes a loooong way. First time I DIDN't get mistaken for a 12-year-old I was surprised lol

For me I try to buy timeless, classic pieces, trendy stuff looks teenage.

• Really Petite May 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm

OMG- what a difference a few tweaks with clothes and makeup does! I love seeing the difference- good job!

I always had this issue with my business- always striving to look older so a nice fitted suit always goes a long ways for me πŸ™‚

• Pauline May 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Janice, my 2 cents as a law student: I really don't agree with the idea of ditching the backpack to look more put together. You REALLY don't want to compromise the health of your back; law books are really heavy. Unless you plan to do all your readings at school and never take your books home, you need the support! Everyone at law school knows that law books are heavy. It's better to look like a student during student hours than someone with unprofessional, bad posture during networking events.

• CynthiaC May 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm

@Janice & Pauline: A few years ago, I saw a bunch of high school kids who went to school with rolling SUITCASES. This was circa 2003 though…

• D's Beauty Corner May 26, 2010 at 9:29 pm

This is such a great post. I liked your comparison charts. And those H&M; shorts are super cute! I've been looking for a longer pair similar to those

• Jenn May 27, 2010 at 12:11 am

Love this. Great tips! I'm almost 29, and some people still think I'm 16. Petite + short + young face = teenager apparently. πŸ™‚

• ladyish May 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

The changes do make a huge difference. When I wear hoodies and logo brands, people think I'm 10, but when I'm more 'dressy' everyone assumes i'm older. I'm 17 and 5'0, but dressing up a bit can definitely pass me for 17+.

• jen May 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm

This is one of them most awesome, informative posts I've seen! The "curious face" photo is hilarious, hahaha. But you really know how to use make up to simply play up your features instead of changing how you look! And you've definitely mastered the art of dressing well and being casual. You look very comfortable but chic at the same time. Great job girl πŸ˜€

• Linda May 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm

this post is amazing! very helpful! and as always, you look gorgeous!

• Jenny May 27, 2010 at 10:31 pm

this was so informative! i'm also 23 and ALWAYS mistaken for a 15 year old whether it be in person or on the phone T_T so sad! i just have that darn baby face! your blog is awesome πŸ™‚

• PetiteAsianGirl May 27, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments … I really enjoyed reading them and had several good laughs.

Kerry – LOL! That's hilarious and I can totally picture it happening.

Daisy – nothing compares to sneakers in terms of comfort, but my Cole Haan Nike air flats are the closest I've found. They actually have a slight wedge with support.

Janice/Pauline – Janice I would say on "lighter load" days to carry a proportional tote. Longchamp works for me but that is too generic for some people's liking. Kate spade makes a lot of totes and I like some of Coach's plain leather ones. I agree with Pauline though, in the sense that nothing beats a backpack for your back. Messenger bags may distribute the weight a little, but nowhere near what a good backpack does! I carry 5+ lbs to work every day in a tote and I'm starting to feel the damage. Some of my coworkers do use rolly bags like Cynthia mentioned … but I'm sure you don't want to go that route.

• phyllis May 28, 2010 at 2:04 am

What a fantastic post! I get mistaken for 16 and under a LOT. The most recent story that comes to mind is when a flight attendant mistook me for an unaccompanied minor. And I was like nope…I'm 24 and married. Needless to say she was super embarrassed :p. I was incredibly amused though :).

Anyway, I was definitely guilty of dressing like your pics of the left until the beginning of this year. I always rationalized it to myself by saying that I dressed for comfort first but obviously comfort does not need to be lazy :). I've been updating my wardrobe bit and bit and I have to say, just putting a little bit more effort and thought into styling have made SUCH a difference in my look. I don't think I've gotten any questions about my age in a while and I feel great about how I look!

• Kristy May 28, 2010 at 9:27 am

WOW! what a transformation! this is such a great and helpful post for all the petite women out there (excl. ME of course:P) But I'm really liking your tips because some of them apply to me. I get carded at the liquor store sometime when I wear jeans, a hoodie, and chucks. But seriously, who dresses up just to go to the liquor store? :D:D

• Jimin May 28, 2010 at 11:33 am

ohhhhhhh my goodness your posts get better and better πŸ™‚ the transformations are so amazing! I think you look pretty without makeup too, but I can see how you look much older in the after pictures πŸ™‚ you've mastered the look of classy chic πŸ˜‰

and who is your photographer?! all your pictures come out greatttt

<3jimin

• Anonymous May 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm

One of my favorite posts so far! This couldnt have come at a better time. I'm in the process of updating my wardrobe and this is a big help.

• MizzJ May 29, 2010 at 12:37 am

hahah I totally used to dress like that in uni! The before and after shots are SO dramatic!! You gave some really great advice here.

• CynthiaC May 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm

@Kristy: I wear my "normal" clothes to the liquor store, which usually consists of jeans, a cami, cardigan and wedges. I don't think I've been carded there since I was 25. Hoodies and jeans just cry "university student" to staff while cardis and jeans are more grown up.

• Patricia May 30, 2010 at 12:06 am

This post is so timely for me! Last week, I was carded buying wine to cook with. I am in my mid-20s, but the man at the checkout said "I'm sorry, I just don't believe you" after I presented my ID. This week, I was outside wearing a hoodie and reading a book while my son was playing, and someone said "Babysitting, huh?"

I really appreciate that this post is focused on casual wear. I have nailed looking my age at work, but these tips are just what I need to look more mature in my free time!

• Emily May 31, 2010 at 2:27 am

This post was amazing!

I wasn't a reader when you did the five minute face video, but I just checked it out and I really love it.. I know you said you aren't a makeup expert or whatever, (I watch Michelle Phan and Holly Ann-Aeree, and a ton of others) but seeing how you did your face was SO helpful. Their looks are really nice, but too much for me. Minimal is best for every day. Thanks PAG! =]

And my parents and your parents would probably totally get along haha.

• Kate Gene June 2, 2010 at 3:13 am

Holy moly! 62 comments!

This is one of my favorite blog posts EVER! My husband has a baby face, so together we look like a happy junior high couple. XD I showed him this post and told him I want to raid your closet. LOL! You seriously have the best taste! I don't own anything but my (old) corporate clothes, scrubs, and sweats. When I run errands, I'm always in hoodies, gym pants, and Nikes. I need a new wardrobe, STAT!

• Anonymous June 2, 2010 at 9:13 pm

can you please do more posts like this?

• Janice June 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm

A little late responding, but thanks for the backpack comments! I will likely go that route, but might mix it up w/ a tote from time to time.

• Eva June 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Wow, that's a BIG difference πŸ™‚
    Love it.

• Anonymous June 22, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Wish I had similar advice for men. We don't have the benefit of makeup, and I can't grow facial hair that doesn't make me look like a dirty 14 year old even though I'm 23.

It really hurts my self confidence when people express shock when they find out my age. It's rude and demoralizing πŸ™

• Euni June 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

Randomly found your blog, love it! I am definitely guilty of the child style sometimes, it's just so easy to throw that on and go to class (and speed walk around campus)!

Since summer break started I've been doing some shopping to change my style. I threw on a tee under a blazer, skinny jeans and flats…STILL got a shocked look when I said I was 20 D:

• Rosie July 14, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I'm late, but I love love love this post and your humour! I am also an Asian grad student. I always dress up in a professional style to teach, which my fellow grad students make fun of me for doing, and even so I get asked by my undergrads, "Are you a junior or a senior?" And "What's your major?"

• Emily S. July 18, 2010 at 9:58 pm

This is brilliant. Thank you for posting this! I didn't even realize that the "before" and "after" shots were the same person at first. Like everyone else on here, I'm tiny with a baby face. I get so sick of people saying "Oh, you'll be glad to look younger when you're 50!" I know they mean well, but it strikes me as sexist– like for a woman it's more important to look young than to be taken seriously? Argh.

• Tara August 24, 2010 at 1:27 am

loving the post!

• xue.Bunny September 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

LOL omg wow! I LOVE this post! Sadly though I still get carded as a 13 year old even with makeup on. *sigh* Oh well, look to the future right? πŸ˜›

• RunningOnCoffee September 12, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Love this post! I am 27. I notice I'm more likely to get carded at the liquor store/restaurants when wearing jeans than my nice work clothes. However, I work in a school district – and last year when I went in to the high school, the main office secretary asked me if I needed a pass to class. (Um, no, I work here).

When I was 21, and working as a counselor with 12-18 year olds at a shelter. One of the 15 year old girls staying there did not realize I worked there and asked me which room I was staying in! I'm pretty sure that was the moment I decided I would wear heels and get dressed up for work.

I'm told I will appreciate this when I'm older.

• chian October 11, 2010 at 4:28 am

Great post! Looove your style!

I always try to look older during work so that my clients will not look down on me, which I was able to achieved by putting on simple makeup (eyeliner + concealer + blusher) and dress professionally/modern.

• Hilary October 27, 2010 at 1:11 am

great post! as a very petite med student i find myself feeling the same way. i can definitely waver between those two looks depending on the day! i'd say going for "neater" in general always helps with the age thing. you do such a great job looking mature without looking frumpy.

• Amanda November 16, 2010 at 11:35 pm

thank you!!! This is one of the best things I've found online about dressing "older." I'm 5'2", 100lb, and I'm so sick of being talked to as if I just went jump rope in the park. I've been getting a little more of a clue on how to dress more sophisticated, but this really helped me hone in on some details I was missing!

• Anonymous December 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm

More posts like this! I'm a 20yo Asian who is dating an older man. I don't have his expensive lifestyle budget, but I make due with what I have. πŸ™‚ He thinks I'm cute, but I want to be beautiful and sexy. Please help! I will forever be carded and treated like a little girl…

• Anonymous January 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm

amazing post!

• Brown Eyed Girl February 6, 2011 at 12:17 am

This post is a must-see for any college grads navigating the weekend social scene or even summertime happy hour scene. (petite or not!)

I think a few hipster or menswear-inspired outfits can also lend maturity and sophistication to a weekend warrior.

Pairing a well-constructed, fitted blazer or thin sweater with well-tailored fitted jeans, cords, or slacks can amp up the maturity factor of an outfit.

Investing in a big girl purse–something structured and almost luggage-like, rather than cutesy and slouchy suggests a put-together and older woman.

Like other readers, I need to wear sneakers or flats due to a foot arch issue. Wearing fitted straight-leg or wide-leg work slacks or trousers with a fitted monochrome tee or acceptably adult-ish graphic tee works well with muted low-soled sneakers, flats, or ankle boots.

I recently swapped my chunky New Balances for a retro-looking, unobtrusive sleek pair of Pumas, and the maturity factor of my weekend outfits (as well as the coolness factor) went through the roof! Now I def look my age when I'm roaming the city or trolling the Farmer's Market on Saturdays.

• β™₯ LTDT β™₯ February 19, 2011 at 3:26 am

Holy crap… So THAT'S why I got charged a child's fare on the city bus… Hahhahaha. This is amazing!! Saving this. Thanks sooo much!!!

• Anonymous February 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm

This is such a great post! I am 26, 5 feet and am often assumed to be a teenager. I mean, at times it is flattering, but it also can get very annoying. I was at work a few years back, dressed up too (although I do not wear makeup or do my hair much) and was asked if I was there with my mom!
    You look great in the before and afters too.

• Kathy March 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

just found your blog and you're absolutely hilarious. i totally relate! I'm a 23 year old petite graduate student and even when I try to look older I get these quips about my age all the time. Thanks for the tips!

• lilin May 10, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Wow!You look so different in the "before" and "after" pics.I really enjoyed this post. And welcome to visit true religion uk!It may give you a surprise!

• lilin May 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I like your blog.welcome to my home page!Looking forward to your visiting.

• Anne May 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I came across your blog while looking for extra extra small blazers. I love your blog… it touches on all the fashion issues that frustrate me. :p I'm Asian, 26, 4'11", and weigh 85 pounds. I often get mistaken for a 13 year old (and will often be able to fit into a 13 year old's clothes so I'm left with shirts and other simple tops). I find it very hard to find "mature" clothes in my size and I hate buying expensive clothes that don't fit me and risk having them altered wrong. What are your top shops for extra extra small clothes that are very affordable so I can build up my wardrobe? πŸ™‚

• shirrrley June 10, 2011 at 10:54 am

This is a great post but I'm going to have to disagree that flared jeans make you look younger. Flared jeans with SNEAKERS make you look yuong, but with a pair of heels or wedgess, it makes all the difference.

• Anonymous September 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm

How would you achieve the oversized sweater look without it being too frumpy or overwhelming on the petite frame?

• Anonymous September 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Hello, could you give some tips for someone who is short and pudgy frame?

• Anonymous November 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm

LOVED IT IΒ΄m almost 25 but look around 19 or 20 and IΒ΄m bit tired of been talked to like a kid by people my own age. Do you have any advices for curly hair?? I wear it long and donΒ΄t really wanna cut it, so it would be great if you could recommend a fancy long hairstyle. I am quite short and thin but not really skinny

• Vania January 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Whoohoohoohoo! I stumbled on this post & your keen fashion sense hit a bullseye on my habits of "s'habiller." The first picture especially is token of my default look (New Balance shoes, flared pants, bare face, sweatshirt or outdoor performance outerwear, and a t-shirt). You even have the phantom backpack hunch!

I'm a 23 year old, a wee under 1.5m, Asian woman with a gymnast body who gets marked as 12 year old by my younger sister's college friends. I intern/ fellow at environmental non- profits which means that sometimes my fashion for the field dips even below your sample.

Since my senior year in college (less lab time + a very caring, yet fashion conscious roommate), I've been slowly transitioning from slob to looking more put- together. My mom, sister, and aunts have all given me the talk of polishing my appearance. Finally, I started to absorb the value of their interventions– taking care of your outward appearance is partially indicative of overall, healthy self- esteem.

Believe me, I've made progress. I don't wear billowy t-shirts from high school sports paired with basketball shorts over- sized cotton spandex (which can be interchanged with baggy khakis from Gap Kids (Boys section)). At least now, I ditched the basketball shorts over faded stretched out spandex combo. When I'm not outside, I've incorporated bright, earthy- feminine pieces into things I can throw on after I roll out of bed.

Still resisting the march towards looking grown- up and professional though.

PS. I'm from the Boston area too!

• Anonymous February 3, 2012 at 11:19 am

Loved your post. I'm pretty short myself, only 4'9" with a tiny frame. I cannot go out without heels, don't wear shorts even on hot summer days πŸ™

Will definitely look at the stores you've mentioned for good professional outfits.

• Anonymous February 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

What size are you? I often find it hard to find my size (1-3) in adult, mature clothes like this.

• Anonymous February 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Wow! Really helpful! Thanks a lot!

• Kris February 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hi! I LOVE this post!!! I am mixed race, with a young looking face and I am also petite, 5'3' and 110lbs – I definitely find I have to put more effort into my casual clothes so I don't end up looking like a child. I am so envious of my girlfriends who can throw on jean shorts, t-shirts and flip flops and look awesome and their own age. And while I love heels, they just aren't always practical. So, great post! Thanks!

• lunakitty March 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm

YES, YES, YES, YES!! Thank you! I'm 4'10 and have basically no curves, so this is a life saver! πŸ™‚

• cheerfulnuts March 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

AWESOME! I'm also petite and an Asian. I would definitely come back here to learn more tips from you.:)

• Anonymous March 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

I'll keep this in mind when i have money to shop for clothes
    I'm also petite and look 5 years younger
    I'm happy I've found your blog I'll make sure to come back to read more tips from you

• Moussia April 6, 2012 at 12:51 am

thank you so much for introducing me to the world of petite blogging! i can relate being a little under 5 ft myself (my drives license says 5'1 though πŸ˜‰ and always being told i look like im 12/14 at my 22 yrs of age. these tips are really helpful to avoid future misconceptions!

fashionfirecracker.blogspot.com

• Anonymous April 9, 2012 at 4:28 am

Hi there, do you mind doing a post on how you did your hairdo in these photos?
    I currently sport the flat ponytail in your "before" pictures. πŸ™ 23 and people think I'm 15. :

• Kristin Can Cook April 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I recently stumbled across your blog and I'm hooked on catching up on all your posts! When I wear the wrong clothes, people often think I'm 15. I am a college-grad working in my first professional full-time job (which I love) and it can be hard to find professional clothes that flatter my tiny frame. Thanks for being an inspiration to the petite women out there!