Here in New England it’s just about time to do my seasonal storage swap and be reunited with my favorite coats and boots (so excited to break out these lightweight Sam Edelman combat boots again)! Below are a few of my staple categories for a robust coat closet. If you’re building up a timeless wardrobe or refreshing an old one, I’d start with the trench and the tailored coat, as together they’ll cover most of your outfit needs and the styles truly last the test of time!
Petite sizes in outwear always sells out first, so I’ve combed the web for classic picks that are well stocked starting in 00 or xxs petite. Macy’s actually has a great selection of petite coats from a range of brands, and is having a HUGE fall sale on these coats! Some of these retail on the pricier side but are good quality, and I’ve learned that Macy’s exclusively carries petite sizing for some styles (i.e. by Calvin Klein, MICHAEL Michael Kors) that other retailers will not have.
1. Tailored / Wool-blend
- MICHAEL Michael Kors belted coat in camel & black (xxsP – LP) – classic fit and nice in person worn either open or closed
- Calvin Klein faux leather trim wrap coat (xxsP – LP) – thick weight and nice quality in person. Unique zipper under layer detail.
- Lady Day Coat for Less: J.Crew Factory wool blend lady coat (00P – 12P) – I only have the J.Crew regular version and go 1 size up to 0P
- A+F double cloth blanket coat in cream, brown & grey (xxsP – xlP)
- A + F tailored wool blend dad coat (xxs P – xlP)
- Chic longer pick: Tahari piped wool blend wrap coat (xxs P – LP) – FYI I tried petites and this is a long midi, almost maxi length.
- Luxe warm weight: Calvin Klein Petite Plaid Coat (0P – 8 P) – gorgeous fluffy soft outer in person with a heavy weight for winter. Really loved this one! Tried on size 2 regular which was a little big as expected (no petites in store), but I think petite 0 would work perfectly for someone my size.
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Walker Coat (0P to 12P) – 0P has a classic straight/ slight A line fit and hits above my knees.
- Classic parka with great reviews: LL Bean 650 fill Classic Down Parka xxsP – xlP)
- Under $100: Uniqlo ultra light hooded puffer (regular only, but xxs & xs can be petite friendly)
- MICHAEL Michael Kors Belted Puffer (xxs P – LP). This actually worked on me in xxs regular! The white color in regular sizing only is so striking and chic.
- Cole Haan down jacket w removable hood (Under $90 with good reviews; xsP – xl P)
4. Teddy / Sherpa
- DKNY soft touch coat in a feminine rosewood or camel (XXSP – LP)
- Banana Republic Sherpa Cocoon coat (XXSP – LP) love the look with knit sleeve cuffs
- J.Crew double breasted teddy coat (XXSP – LP)
- Budget pick under $50: Boohoo teddy sherpa coat (0P – 12 P)
- Budget pick under $50: Missguided Petite borg teddy coat (2P – 6 P)
- Great reviews: Banana Republic timeless trench (xxsP – LP)
- Detachable hood, reviews mention running slim: London Fog classic trench (xxsP – xxlP)
- Oversized midi length fit in petites: Nasty Gal oversized trench (0P – 10P)
- Classic tan trench: Lauren Ralph Lauren petite trench (xxsP, xlP)
- Drapey trench: A+F drapey trench. Regular sizing only, so sleeves will fit long but the overall length works for someone petite. Have an older version that I love and wear regularly!