While skinny jeans will always be part of my wardrobe (despite Gen Z declaring they’re no longer cool ; ) I will say I’ve been on the hunt for an effortless pair of straight leg jeans that’s flattering even with flat shoes (which is kind of trickier on a shorter frame). I wanted a classic high rise style in an everyday blue wash with no rips, and tried a whole bunch before finding a pair I LOVE by petite-favorite Topshop!
Flattering Petite-friendly Straight Jeans
These straight leg crops are from Nordstrom and just what I was looking for – not baggy, not blooming out at the hips and rear like some mom jeans, and taper just a bit toward the ankles. The length happened to work nicely on me off the rack, but since the hem is raw cut, it’s very easy to shorten just with scissors. I can’t wait to show a couple different ways to style these jeans and with different footwear (see below for casually just with an oversized sweater!).
Fit wise, Topshop jeans usually run about 1 size smaller at the waist than U.S. brands, though I didn’t find this cut to run as small as their popular Jamie jeans which I have several pairs of. I’m currently 5′ tall, approx. 100 lb and either 25 or 25P in these straight crops are a comfortable fit on me, while the Jamie are much tighter in the same size. I actually ordered both Petite and Regular in these straight crops to try and they oddly measured the same at the waist, inseam and length … so either size works! Note: if you receive a pair and the button hole is a little tight around the button, simply open it up a bit more with the tip of small sharp scissors.
Women’s Sale Picks
Nordstrom is also having a huge sale with up to 60% off, including several items in my wardrobe! Here’s a few picks that are currently available starting in size xxs and size 4 shoes:
- 60% off Sorel hiker boots starting in 5. Love the look of the shearling trim ones!
- 40% off Caslon thermal top with kangaroo pocket in 2 colors. Very petite friendly and most of the unhappy reviews are about it running small or short! See it on me below.
- $21 for my Tinsley chelsea rain boots starting in sz 4 (runs narrow)! Lowest price I’ve seen.
- Under $40 Zella 7/8 length live in leggings starting in xxs (petite friendly)
- Under $40 BlankNYC moto jacket with removable hood xs – see on me
- Under $40 BlankNYC shrunken moto jacket in taupe xs (runs small) – see on me in black
This top was a recent athleisure find which I ordered after seeing the unhappy reviews about it running small and short (one woman’s ill fitting piece can be another woman’s treasure!). On a petite frame I think it fits just as intended -not awkwardly or snug at all- and looks great casually over leggings. The material is a medium weight (not thin) waffled thermal fabric.
Thank you to Nordstrom for partnering on this post.