A flattering, petite-friendly alternative to skinny jeans

petite straight leg jeans

While skinny jeans will always be part of my wardrobe (despite Gen Z declaring they’re no longer cool ; ) I will say I’ve been on the hunt for an effortless pair of straight leg jeans that’s flattering even with flat shoes (which is kind of trickier on a shorter frame). I wanted a classic high rise style in an everyday blue wash with no rips, and tried a whole bunch before finding a pair I LOVE by petite-favorite Topshop!

Flattering Petite-friendly Straight Jeans

These straight leg crops are from Nordstrom and just what I was looking for – not baggy, not blooming out at the hips and rear like some mom jeans, and taper just a bit toward the ankles. The length happened to work nicely on me off the rack, but since the hem is raw cut, it’s very easy to shorten just with scissors. I can’t wait to show a couple different ways to style these jeans and with different footwear (see below for casually just with an oversized sweater!).

Fit wise, Topshop jeans usually run about 1 size smaller at the waist than U.S. brands, though I didn’t find this cut to run as small as their popular Jamie jeans which I have several pairs of. I’m currently 5′ tall, approx. 100 lb and either 25 or 25P in these straight crops are a comfortable fit on me, while the Jamie are much tighter in the same size. I actually ordered both Petite and Regular in these straight crops to try and they oddly measured the same at the waist, inseam and length … so either size works! Note: if you receive a pair and the button hole is a little tight around the button, simply open it up a bit more with the tip of small sharp scissors.

Women’s Sale Picks

Nordstrom is also having a huge sale with up to 60% off, including several items in my wardrobe! Here’s a few picks that are currently available starting in size xxs and size 4 shoes:

Gucci loafer spring outfit

Nordstrom petite athleisure

This top was a recent athleisure find which I ordered after seeing the unhappy reviews about it running small and short (one woman’s ill fitting piece can be another woman’s treasure!). On a petite frame I think it fits just as intended -not awkwardly or snug at all- and looks great casually over leggings. The material is a medium weight (not thin) waffled thermal fabric.

Thank you to Nordstrom for partnering on this post.

Topshop cropped straight leg jeans

16 Comments

1. Leslie wrote:

Hi Jean! Where is that first sweater from? I clicked on the outfit details but it led me to a broken link 🙁

Posted 3.8.21 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

Hi Leslie, sorry about that!, this link should work!

Posted 3.8.21 Reply
  2. ka yang wrote:

Hi Jean,
    I was finally able to order the moto jacket,that was sold out last time, after reading this post. I recieved it today and I love it but the sleeves were a little long. How did the sleeves look on you and did you get it altered? If you did, would you be willing to share how much it cost to alter in your area?

Posted 3.2.21 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

Hi – I didn’t get this particular jacket altered since the sleeves are only borderline long on me, but I have gotten the sleeve shortening alteration done on a few other moto jackets where it was longer. Cost averages around $40 in a city, but you can always call a tailor in advance and ask!

Posted 3.23.21 Reply
  3. May wrote:

I’m actually ready for the skinny jean craze to be over lol. Bring on over the loose straight jeans. These look perfect. You make them look so good!

Posted 3.2.21 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

You’re too kind, thank you May!

Posted 3.8.21 Reply
  4. C wrote:

Thanks so much for this post! Skinny jean fatigue is real lol. I bought both regular and petite to see which fits better. Would love to see more straight leg jeans posts 🙂

Posted 3.2.21 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

It’s definitely fun to have a new style and silhouette of denim to play around with and learn how to style 🙂

Posted 3.8.21 Reply
  5. Amy wrote:

It’s too bad Nordstrom Canada did not offer the same deals, otherwise I would definitely picked up the boots and jeans!

Posted 2.28.21 Reply
  6. susan r rawls wrote:

I LOVE these jeans. Thanks for sharing. I’m an older, petite lady and I wear skinny jeans. i would
    love to try this style out.

Posted 2.28.21 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

You’ll have to let me know how you like them if you get a chance to try them out 🙂

Posted 3.8.21 Reply
  7. mct16 wrote:

Jean! It’s as if you read my mind! I just was looking for a pair of jeans in this cut and this wash and almost decided to go against my instincts to get a pair of Citizen of Humanity jeans (3x the price of these). I am so glad I held off and then read your post! I got both the jeans and your cute rain booties, I can’t wait :). Thank you for ALWAYS reviewing and recommending awesome quality and fitting pieces. You are the only blog I end up buying through!

Posted 2.28.21 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

That is too funny! And thank you so much for your kind note and for following along with us – I hope you love the jeans and boots!

Posted 3.8.21 Reply
  8. Briana wrote:

Those jeans fit you so well!

Posted 2.28.21 Reply
  9. Linda wrote:

Does your blank nyc faux leather jacket w hoodie make a lot of noise? Any way to minimize that?

Posted 2.28.21 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

I haven’t, I don’t find it to be anything out of the ordinary of wearing faux leather!

Posted 3.23.21 Reply

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?