Update 8/17: The gift card giveaway winners are…
Elisa Z, Bethany Gualtieri, Michelle K Chu, and Milenis G! Update 8/19 – these 4 winners have each been in contact & confirmed! See below for 5 additional winners just drawn!
Update 8/19: Because there were many entries, as a small thank you I chose 5 additional winners to receive a $75 gift card! Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org using the email address that you entered the giveaway with. Thank you to everyone who participated!
Liz L. (Chui), Amanda Kim, Barbara F., Shelly E. 3020, and Anglina K.
My sweet mom is in town helping out with some things, and I thought it’d be fun to share outfits styled on both her and me this week! For fit reference, she’s 105lbs, a little under 5’2,” and usually wears xs petite / 0P in tops, 2P in bottoms. She has a fairly minimalist wardrobe (mostly the same few basics she wears on repeat + a few special, dressier pieces), so we’ll be sharing a few items she’s gotten good mileage from over years past, plus a few sale try-ons this year!
Here are a few great promos going on in addition to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale:
The Deal: Their big semiannual sale with deals on Patagonia jackets, Arc’teryx, Sorel & more!
- My favorite Patagonia better sweater style in a pullover with kangaroo pockets. See on me in this post.
- Sorel slimpack II lace boots in quarry/grey from this blog post (I size up in Sorels).
- Patagonia down sweater jacket starts in xxs
- Patagonia prairie dawn parka (roomier fit) see my fit review for this parka.
The Deal: Up to 25% off & free ship event with code CELEBRATE, ends 8/17. Includes lots of major skincare (including Sunday Riley value kits), hair care, and skincare devices like NuFace. Some products I use and love:
The Deal: 50% off these petite-friendly picks:
- Classic belted camel pant – starting in size 00 short. My mom tried these on and found them to be flattering & TTS.
- High waisted supersoft straight crop pant – starting in 00 short. My mom also tried these and liked the cropped length, slightly wider leg, and stretchy (yet not too casual looking) material for WFH. She fit size 0 short.
- High waisted cropped black pants – these are final sale but only $15 when you add to cart!! These have a flat front and no button / tab detailing compared to the super soft pair above, but similar cut.
- Ruffle sleeve textured top – beautiful, looser fit low maintenance top that looks great half tucked.
The Deal: (Update: sale has ended) 50% off jeans, 25% off everything else. You can filter on the sidebar for your size and short, regular or long inseams! Here are all the styles currently available in “short” sizing starting in size 24 waist.
- If you’re very petite, try their high rise super skinny ankle jean in “short” with a 24″ inseam, otherwise their regular high rise legging jean is a classic with a 26″ inseam.
5. Nordstrom (non-anniversary deals)
The Deal: There are actually a lot of pretty steep markdowns on their site (in particular, lots of shoes in size 4 & up) outside of the Anniversary items. I always suggest narrowing down sale items by filtering by your size and price point on the sidebar.
This casual outfit got a lot of questions from my mom’s cameo on IG stories, so posting it here with sizing info!
Sharing a few additional notes on our outfit items below! On me:
Socialite tee ($15.90 on sale) in 2 great prints
- An underrated item from the Anniversary sale that you’ll have to put on to understand. Material is super comfortable, soft, stretchy and not thin in weight. The prints pair with SO much from casual to work from home / office looks – my mom & I will show how to style this a few ways this week!
- Fit: roomier, oversized fit with dropped shoulder style sleeves. Good if you like a slouchier or knotted tee look (this is not a fitted tee).
- Gosh I love these so much, as an achy preggo in her 3rd trimester! Not on sale but these have been worth it for the belly & back support they provide me several times a week lately. I wear these probably several times a week and will also be getting good wear out of them postpartum! Learned my lesson first pregnancy that it takes a long time to get back into my regular high rise leggings. There *is* a Zella maternity style on sale, but note it has a 27″ inseam which I knew would be too long on me.
- Fit: I got 1 size up from my pre-pregnancy size because I personally don’t like my clothes too snug during pregnancy.
Adidas Swift Kids Sneakers ($39.90 on sale – should fit up to womens size 9.5!)
- Raved about this find on IG stories – stretchy knit material, flexible sole, ortholite insoles. The “ash pearl” color is like a blush – nude/beige and not too pink, flattering when worn against bare legs. The color in the stock photo is more accurate than my pic.
- Fit: I got big kids size 4 which = womens 36, and it feels like a womens 5.5-6. I potentially could’ve gone another half size down, depending on sock thickness. I would rely on this size chart from Adidas instead of what’s on Nordstrom’s site (top row is the big kids size, bottom row is EUR womens size):
On my mom:
First 2 are pieces I got my mom years ago, that she mixes in regularly with her everyday outfits!
Gibson twist front cozy tunic ($28.90 on sale)
- Fit: She has xxs regular bc she prefers the length (the petites, when available, is a much shorter length, can be worn as a top but not a tunic). See it on me below in the same size, from when I was pregnant with Nori!
Barefoot dreams circle cardigan ($68.90 on sale)
- Fit: She has size xs / s in “heather pewter” which is a slightly oversized, longer fit on someone who is my pre-pregnancy size.
Zella 7/8 length leggings ($42.90 on sale; kids are $24.90 on sale)
- Fit: XS is very comfortable (slightly lighter in weight than their “live in” fabric) on her with a flattering mid-high rise. 7/8 is a perfect petite-friendly length.
- Kids Alternative: She also has Zella kids leggings in size XL pictured above, on sale for under $25! I usually opt for womens personally, as the kids version does not offer as much compression in the fabric and the rise is about an inch shorter compared to womens. My mom is nearly 5’2″ and the length of the kids XL leggings and the sleeves of their kids XL tops are about an inch long on her. My cousin who is similar to my pre-pregnancy height and weight buys Zella kids size L tops and leggings.
My Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Guides:
Just updated this last night with a few additional try-ons and recommendations at the very bottom! Want to highlight the Topshop Jamie jeans in petite & regular (petite has a 25″ inseam, true medium grey wash that looks nice in person).
Includes a few of the most flattering boots, waterproof leather shoes, everyday flats, and my recommendations for those with narrow ankles or calves.
Including my mini review on Allsaints leather jackets. Amongst the 9 picks, I’ve had these for a while and love them:
- Gibson knit blazer ($50) – my top rec from the sale. Nice slim fit on the petites. I have xxsp bought a long time ago at full price. And I do machine wash mine on delicates cold water inside out, but do not machine dry.
- BP faux leather leggings ($29) – Love these so much. I got xxs last year at full price and fold the extra length under.
- Tie waist ankle pants in a good fabric & beautiful rust color – I got 00 petite last year
- Barefoot dreams circle cardigan – xs/s is a slightly oversized longer fit on me. I’ve also gotten this for my mom (as seen above), aunts, and multiple friends (great new mom gift)
- Stokke Tripp Trapp High Chair (brown wood)
- Nuna Infant Car Seats – how to choose between the Pipa, RX, Lite & Lite LX
- Nuna Rava – Nori currently uses this after she outgrew her Pipa!
- UPPAbaby Vista V2 Stroller – converts from single to double seater.
- Nuna Mixx Next Stroller – Newest 2020 version is currently only available at Nordies
Eliza J is one of my mom’s favorite brands for dressier pieces, and she prefers jumpsuits over skirts so she doesn’t have to think much about styling the outfit. She may not be going many places dressed up these days, but this pocketed jumpsuit (starts in 0 Petite) was SO flattering on her I had to share. Fit of the petites is TTS – she is wearing 2P and the material has a little stretch.