Happy weekend, friends! Today I wanted to share some pre-Fall outfit inspo with 5 of my go-to “formulas” when styling black leggings. The featured leggings I’m wearing have good “hold,” a flattering high rise, and a snug fit on me in XXS. The 7/8 length option on sale is new this year with the addition of side pockets! Note the pockets and side seams make this a little more sporty than their plain black live in leggings. Here’s how they look by themselves with a Nike sports bra:
5 ways to style black leggings
Formula: Cropped moto jacket over a longer top or hoodie + sneakers. Add a sleek baseball cap on those troublesome hair days.
I thought this jacket was great everywhere except for the belt, which is not moveable so the tail end just hangs! I wanted to show the fit here since I know some aren’t as bothered by that. I prefer this Blank NYC jacket that I have, but note it’s more fitted with a slightly strong shoulder.
2. Cozy but Chic
Formula: Poncho or tunic sweater + over the knee boots or ankle booties.
3. Casual on the go
Formula: Slouchy waffle tee layered over a striped tunic + slip on sneakers.
Formula: Army jacket, rain boots, big cozy scarf + a hands free crossbody bag.
Formula: Timeless stripes + trench coat paired with Chelsea booties. Add an optional pop of color with a bright bag!
Which of these 5 pairings is your favorite?
With the Anniversary Sale ending tomorrow, I also wanted to mention a few solid items that are still well stocked!
1. Delicate fabric wash (also comes in lavender scent) – as seen in my how to clean silk at home post. I was in a slight panic when this was listed as unavailable last month and a few of you asked if it got discontinued! This has worked very well on my bras, swimsuits, silks and other delicates. At full price it’s a good deal for the large 32oz bottle compared to higher end delicates washes, and at the sale price its a VERY good deal.
**Note: I just got a new bottle of the clear one and was surprised to see dye and fragrance listed on the ingredients list, which their prior year versions do not have. I tested it side by side with my old bottle and it seems the same, with no new detectable difference in fragrance or color. I’ve reached out to customer service to see if it’s a misprint this year. Will add an updated if I hear back!**
2. Natori Feathers Bra (white is on extra sale at 50% off!) in a big range of sizes 30A to G (cups run a bit small). This is another favorite that I’ve mentioned several times in years past. It’s super lightweight, and the lacey mesh overlay is soft and stretchy (not at all itchy) for a close, comfortable fit. I wear almost all skin toned bras, so the textural details on this make it a little more alluring than the average plain ole’ nude bra.
3. Wacoal How Perfect No-Wire Contour bra sz 30B and up. This wire free option is delightfully smooth and comfortable, with shaped cups that have enough thickness to keep “headlights” at bay. Looks seamless under tees and knits. Note the Clove color is brown and darker than the stock photo.
4. Halogen peplum top sz xxs petite and up. Office appropriate and nursing friendly. Still available in leopard print (easy pairing with black pants!), navy, or black. See the floral print on me.
5. Steve Madden OTK boots sz 5.5 and up. Truly surprised these are still well stocked given how they fit narrow calves (and according to the reviews, stretches to fit wider calves as well!). See my pic below and more fit pics here.
6. Eliza J ruched shoulder jumpsuit sz XS and up. This is a little gem for those who are taller than me. My mom is 5’2″ 105lb, has this in sz XS regular (see photo below) and adores it. The material is soft and stretchy, there’s pockets, a flattering tie waist, and my favorite part on her is the slightly ruched shoulders which are feminine but also fashion forward. The wider cut legs drape nicely and also look like a skirt from some angles.
7. BP 100% cotton cardigan in xxs. The “brown cattail” is a more versatile color in person (more brown, less yellow) than it looks online. See my pics of it. Size down if you want a slimmer fit, but xxs works on someone petite for a casual slouchy look that is not too oversized.
8. Mens: Greats leather sneakers – One of Nick’s favorite purchases this year (for fit reference & photos, see this post) and just heard from two friends who bought on recommendation and were very happy with them!
9. Kids: Babyzen Yoyo stroller bundle (see my review). This often looks out of stock but multiple colors have come back nearly once a day (grey & black are currently in stock!). So if you’re after one of these bundles, bookmark it on your phone and refresh a few times between now and Sunday night!
10. Gibson cozy twist front tee in xxs regular and up. Petites are sold out, but if you are expecting I’d recommend the regular sizing which I got last year to cover my bump and wear with maternity leggings! Wore xxs regular (runs a little big) below at 8 months pregnant:
11. Zella kids leggings – For extra petite ladies, a size L (10/12) in these fit like their womens XXS at the waist and hips, but are a little shorter in length and hit above my ankles. Their kids XL probably fits like their women’s regular XS. For solid black leggings, the kids are def not as thick or with as much compression as the womens’ Live In style. Thus I still recommend the womens in those, however there are some fun designs in kids worth checking out.