• Black, White, Stripes

banana republic petite sweater dress

Banana Republic knit dress xxs petite, denim jacket (current option) xxsp + hat (current option)

Petite gals are always told how vertical stripes are the way to go (for the elongating effect), but I can’t resist chic horizontal stripes! This flattering dress from Banana Republic petites combines both in a comfortable stretchy sweater knit. It comes in a few different colors, and while I love the white, black is a safe bet if you’re looking for something extra slimming and low maintenance.

Fit is true to size with good stretch to it. I paired it with casual mules here, but this can also be work appropriate with a cropped blazer and heels, and when the weather cools I’ll be styling this with a moto jacket! Below are a few other beautiful dresses currently at Banana Republic and available in small sizes (see this post for a fit photo of the black linen one). They’re currently having 40% off right now with no code needed!

boston fashion blogger extra petite blogpetite fashion blog sweater dress outfit
    white denim jacket petite fashion blogstriped dress sweater knit dress petites

Thank you to Banana Republic for partnering on this post.

22 thoughts on “Black, White, Stripes

• Reply Evelyn L July 22, 2019 at 10:28 pm

Beautiful dress, Jean. I was wondering if the material is stretchy. I’m currently three months pregnant and in that in-between stage where most of my sheath dresses are uncomfortably tight but I’m not quite ready for maternity clothes yet.

• Reply April July 23, 2019 at 12:48 pm

i was thinking the same!!

• Reply Jean July 23, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Hi Evelyn – congrats!! I remember those in-between days. Yes it can definitely accommodate a small bump. As your belly grows and if you want to show it off more, you might want to try more empire style waistlines that hit right below the bust (higher than this one) which will accentuate the bump more.

• Reply Briana July 22, 2019 at 11:47 pm

The stripes are darling on you!

Briana

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog July 23, 2019 at 1:16 am

Love the dress, Jean, it’s super cute! 💕✨

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style July 23, 2019 at 1:56 am

Such a lovely look! X

• Reply Rena July 23, 2019 at 3:53 am

Wow, your summer dress is wonderful!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Janine July 23, 2019 at 6:19 am

That is a cute Dress! I love striped clothing items for summer, and how cool is that combination of horizontal and vertical stripes!
      Xx Janine

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia July 23, 2019 at 7:47 am

Oh such a beautiful look … very Summer lovely ♥️,

• Reply Cindy July 23, 2019 at 9:07 am

Hi jean

What size are your shoes. Also, I’m usually half size smaller than you in shoes. Do you think I’ll be able to fit castaner wedges in a 5?

• Reply Jean July 23, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Hi Cindy, my shoes are sz 5. As for Castaner, they run a little big and I have a size 5, so unfortunately I think their wedges in a 5 might be too big for you.

• Reply Amanda K. July 23, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Hey Jean, thanks for this post on this BR dress – I love stripes and it’s not too often do I find pieces with horizontal stripes, which is great for the petite figure.
      I am however interested in BR’s Floral Ruffled Dress. Not too sure if it’s meant for summer or if the high neckline looks good on us petites, but I wonder if you have any thoughts on it. With the sale, I think I’ll try it out and see.

• Reply Jean July 23, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Hi Amanda! I love the look of that ruffled dress and included it as the print reminded me of another popular one from BR that I have from last season! I don’t think the neckline is high – I actually liked that it doesn’t look too high or too low cut. Their dresses usually fit very nicely on a petite figure without alterations needed.

• Reply Maureen July 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm

What a cute dress! It screams summer and you wear it so well.

• Reply Marta July 23, 2019 at 12:47 pm

That looks so cute! I love that style of dress in that kind of fabric, it’s so flattering and the stripes look so chic.

• Reply Petite Picks July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Gorg! They nailed the placement of the straps on that. I am greatly looking forward to a day when wide straps placed closer together like this (not as far as possible apart like current trends) finally catches on. Totally agree, no horizontal stripes on petites is not a great rule.

• Reply Anonymous July 23, 2019 at 3:48 pm

The knot looks pretty thick, is it? I’m wondering if it’s too thick for hot summer days.

• Reply Patty July 23, 2019 at 3:49 pm

The knit looks pretty thick, is it? I’m wondering if it’s to thick for hot summer days.

• Reply Jean July 23, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Hi Patty, it’s actually just medium weight, not too thick!

• Reply Mariya July 25, 2019 at 11:26 am

What a beautiful dress!

Mariya

• Reply Maria July 31, 2019 at 9:23 am

Love that dress and it looks so good on you! The horizontal with vertical stripes is so nice.

• Reply Bethany August 18, 2019 at 10:45 pm

Love this outfit on you, it’s so cute and very well put together! Just wondering, where is the black bag from? Adorable and very summery! 😊