Sustainable Style // Reformation at Nordstrom

reformation nebraska dress sustainable fashion little black dress petite

Over the past few years, one of the top requests I’ve received on here has been to cover more options for sustainable and responsible fashion. When I first tried to tackle this request, the options I came across were not petite friendly or even remotely stylish, to be honest. But recently, there’s been so much progress when it comes to socially conscious clothing that is beautiful and actually fits well! I hope you guys have been enjoying the mix of new brands I’ve been introducing, and I have been meaning to feature Reformation, a brand I know a lot of you are interested in!

rerformation nebraska dress boston public library wedding

This brand is all about easy, feminine silhouettes made with a responsible eco footprint, and their sizing usually runs small and is super flattering on smaller frames and busts. On their website you can find info about the eco footprint of each piece and the fabric sourcing. They’re on the pricey end for what you get (for example, many of their pieces are lightweight and unlined), but the cut once you put a piece on usually transforms it. I first tried on some of their pieces in both petite and regular sizing a while back, and most of the pieces in regular ran small and fit just as well as the petite. Last year Nordstrom started carrying Reformation and has since expanded to a huge selection, with the bonus of occasional markdowns that I haven’t seen on the brand’s own website.

This Nebraska dress is one of their most popular styles, and for good reason! Although it’s a simple linen dress, I lost count of the messages I got on Instagram stories after sharing a quick preview this morning. The LBD here has been elevated with feminine details like a sweetheart neckline, tie shoulder straps (meant to be tied at the base of the back strap), nipped in waist and a daringly high slit. A sz 0 is very fitted on me, comparable to 00 in other brands. And it’s hard to see against the black color, but there are corset-like bust cups (typical of several Reformation designs) that is flattering on smaller busts. For petite ladies, I’d recommend looking for smocked back and adjustable / tie shoulder features in their styles, like some of the pieces I linked above!

Measurements of sz 0: 12” across the waist, 14.5″ across the top bust, 38” total length not including the adjustable tie straps. The sweetheart bust cups (lined in linen but not padded) would fit probably an A to full B cup, maybe a small C. There’s a metal zipper on the back with a stretchy ruched panel. The torso of the dress is lined with a second layer of linen, but the skirt portion is not.

Thank you Nordstrom for partnering on this post.

32 thoughts on “Sustainable Style // Reformation at Nordstrom

• Reply Jenny You June 28, 2019 at 11:07 pm

Very nice. I am same tall as you with A cup breast. What did you wear as bra?

Thanks

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 30, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Hi Jenny! I updated my post with my favorite adhesive nippies covers. I have size 1 in “light” or medium and reuse these about a dozen times!

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia June 29, 2019 at 12:44 am

Sounds like a great brand to check out!

• Reply Janine June 29, 2019 at 1:50 am

Reformation really do have some beautiful, beautiful, pieces! That dress looks absolutely stunning on you.
    Thanks for sharing!
    xx Janine

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses June 29, 2019 at 4:08 am

Love these photos Jean, what a beautiful location! Also, sustainable style is so important! I wish we had Nordstrom here in England!

I hope you have a fantastic Saturday,

Michael

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 29, 2019 at 5:57 am

Jean! I’ve actually started buying every single piece you’ve introduced on your blog, lol, just because I know it’ll have a slight chance of fitting me! Love this dress so much!! 🙂

• Reply Carol Pardee June 29, 2019 at 9:00 am

Love all your looks! Do you have some suggestions for petites with larger busts? Thanks!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 30, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Hi Carol! Are you on Instagram? Someone asked for petite with larger bust suggestions on a recent Instagram post and I suggested @laticia_correa (a longtime reader here) who is more of an expert in that area! She mentioned she’d be happy to direct message her list of suggestions to those who were interested.

• Reply Anonymous July 3, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Thanks, Jean! I will DM her for sure!

• Reply Kate June 29, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Wowza! I’ll admit I usually just enjoy your content in my email inbox, but I had to come to your site and leave a comment on this one. You look so amazingly gorgeous! That dress is perfection on you! 💕 Thanks for all the inspo!

Much love, Kate

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 30, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Thanks so much, Kate!!

• Reply Christi June 29, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Hi Jean! Fun post – thanks for sharing. Would you recommend this brand for petite ladies with larger busts? I’m a 32 DD and it’s a challenge being 5’2″!!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 30, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Hi Christi, unfortunately most of their styles (at least the ones with defined bust cups like this one) run a little small at the cup area! However I’ve tried some of their pieces with more blouson bust styles and those would fit. Check out my reply above to Carol and feel free to direct message Laticia for her list of suggestions if you’re interested!

• Reply Briana June 30, 2019 at 1:04 am

Reformation is seriously my fave!

Briana

• Reply Christi June 30, 2019 at 7:11 am

This photoshoot is so impressive. It looks like something from Vogue magazine. Gorgeous Jean!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 30, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Thank you so much! The BPL definitely is a special place to us.

• Reply Anne June 30, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Hi Jean, did you have the alter the length of the dress when you ordered the regular size?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 30, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Hi Anne, no the length shown in these photos is as-is!

• Reply Ivana Split June 30, 2019 at 5:18 pm

what a gorgeous black dress! You look so lady like and beautiful.

• Reply Elizabeth T. June 30, 2019 at 8:12 pm

This dress is soo beautiful <3 🙂 I love how elegant you look!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply wina June 30, 2019 at 8:49 pm

you definitely look like a million bucks in that dress. Makes me want to take a trip to BPL just to take photos.

• Reply Julie L July 1, 2019 at 3:40 am

Can you tell me the brand of the black purse you carried in the picture? You look gorgeous, by the way!!!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 3, 2019 at 7:36 pm

Hi Julie, thank you so much! it’s an old wicker one from Zara! I’ve seen some pop up on eBay.

• Reply Christina July 1, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Stunning! Thanks for sharing about this brand. I don’t live in a city with a Nordstrom (or any big brands like BR or AT) anymore so you are my go-to source for stylish petite clothes! I love to support a brand that promotes sustainability and doesn’t look frumpy or too hippie-like.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 3, 2019 at 8:48 pm

So glad to hear that, Christina! Yes, some brands have come a long way over the past few years with responsible sourcing without sacrificing style!

• Reply Christina Dang July 1, 2019 at 1:45 pm

• Reply Ann July 2, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Hi Jean, You look amazing and so elegant in that dress! Do you think it would be supportive enough for a C-cup size or would you have any suggestions for other options?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Hi Ann! Thank you for the kind comment. Unfortunately their dresses with cups like this one will most likely not suit a C-cup size. They are cut pretty small. They do make some styles though without defined bust cups that would work on a wider range of body types!

• Reply June July 6, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Jean you look absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing this dress. It looked so great on you I got it for myself as an early birthday present. It came today and I truly love the fit. I sized up to a size 2 based on your review and think it’s comparable to a 0 in other brands.

I also love your poses in photos and think it would be fantastic if you could share some tips in the future for us fellow petites! (Especially me because I never know what to do with my hands)

Much love,
    June

• Reply Danielle July 8, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Hi Jean,

I love your blog and your style! Have you noticed a lot of wrinkling with this dress since it’s linen? I was looking at this one as well as the Juliette style (which is the same but viscose material). I know such a random question but I want to make sure I can spend hours in this dress without it looking super wrinkly.

Thanks!
    Danielle

• Reply Grace lee July 11, 2019 at 12:00 am

The dress looks gorgeous on you. I’m 5’3 and purchased the same dress in mustard color but the slit was so high… it was showing my underwear. Do you have any suggestions to this? Plus most midi dresses on reformation fits like a maxi dress on me… I wish they made more petite sizes in various styles because I absolutely love the styles on reformation but so far I had to return 4 dresses back since it was too long and didn’t fit right on my petite frame.

• Reply Monica July 12, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Hi Jean – have you tried any of Cuyana’s clothing yet? From the website (and the models they choose for the photos), most items do not seem petite friendly. Curious if you’ve tried any tops, dresses, or bottoms and what you think of them!