• From desk to dinner: White ruffle dress + drape jacket

nyc spring work wear for petite women

Express white ruffle dress 00 regular (also comes in petite), drape crepe cardigan xxs c/o (4 colors; sleeves shortened), M.Gemi heels 35.5 also in sale colors (my review; use code JEAN50 for $50 off a first order), easy topknot tutorial

Happy Friday! I’m sharing a feminine look today that easily transitions from desk to date night. It’s not quite bare leg weather yet here, but I wanted to showcase this white ruffle dress by itself (you could do black tights + a cropped black jacket for a chic black & white look). The dress looks pretty simple online, but once it’s on, the flattering fit and flare cut highlights all the right places! The ruffled sleeves create a slightly structural, edgier shoulder line, and I love that it’s stretchy and fully lined.

Dress measurements in 00 reg (stretchy fabric): 13.5″ across underarms, 12.75″ across waist, 33″ length.

white dress ruffle bachelorette extra petite blog
    express white dress fit and flare style petite women
    For a work-appropriate look with a little movement, I like the idea of a draping, open-front layer as an alternative to the traditional blazer. This one I’m wearing is listed as a jacket, but note it’s a lightweight, unlined layer that’s more like a shirt jacket / crepe cardigan instead of a heavy jacket. Fit is true to size (I’m wearing 00 regular), but given that it’s regular and not petites, I did have to shorten the sleeves several inches. Because this piece is unlined and made of a thinner crepe, is was a very standard and easy sleeve hemming alteration if you have a sewing machine at home.

spring work outfit draped jacket business fashion
    The dress fabric (with a crepe-like feel as well) and lining both have stretch, making it very comfortable to wear and sit in even with a growing belly!

draped open blazer work outfits petite women
    Another office-friendly piece that just arrived online are these high-waisted sash tie ankle trousers, available in both petite and regular sizing. High waist pants with a tie belt and wider legs are usually a sure bet in my book! I just adore how they’re styled here with a floral blouse, and they look like a good alternative to my older pair shown in this post (the shorter ankle length means you can commute in flats without the pants dragging on the ground)!

P.S. Express shared a code with me that you can use in-store to get $25 off every $100 purchase. Just let the cashier know ring code 3382 at checkout (in-store only; coupon terms & conditions). As an FYI, their sizes 00, xxs, and all petites are usually online exclusives so I do the majority of my shopping online.

what to wear to work professional spring style
    Thank you to Express for partnering on this post.

35 thoughts on “From desk to dinner: White ruffle dress + drape jacket

• Antri C. | Beauty Blogger & Reviewer March 16, 2018 at 2:00 pm

So cute, elegant and minimal! It was a must to save it in my pinterest board “fashion inspirration” xoxo

• S H A N S A March 16, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Such a gorgeous color combination! You look very pretty in white ❤️

• Michael @ Mile in My Glasses March 16, 2018 at 2:47 pm

I love the outfit Jean, it’s gorgeous! Especially the white paired with blush, such a great combination!

Happy Friday!
      Michael

• Mimi March 16, 2018 at 3:25 pm

What a cute outfit. I can see your little bump 🙂 Would you mind telling me what brand and the size of your pearl earrings? I’ve been looking a decent size pearl earrings for awhile. They look very lovely on you. Thanks.

• Anyi March 17, 2018 at 12:51 am

I second this question, Jean. Also, is it round or button shape? Freshwater or south sea (or glass)? Thank you!

• Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Hi there! Sorry for the delay – they are 12mm studs and faux pearls (glass)

• Maureen March 16, 2018 at 4:52 pm

This dress is understated but so classy and sophisticated! Love the idea of pairing it with a flowy jacket to trick the eye of the dress’ mobility. You look great in this Jean!

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• kate style petite March 16, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Love this dress!
      xo – katestylepetite.com

• Fatou March 16, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Love this look!
      xx

• Neeltje | Thoughts in Style March 17, 2018 at 8:28 am

You look stunning! Xx

• Breuk March 17, 2018 at 9:51 am

Hi Jean, I’ve been meaning to congratulate you for some time! You and Nick will be amazing parents. That is one lucky baby ❤️

Over the years I’ve purchased many items on your recommendation, and while I was pregnant last year, I selfishly wished that you were, too, because it was so difficult to find the perfect petite maternity clothes.

To give you a head start, I ended up most pleased with Asos petite maternity dresses (even wore one for my wedding), basics from H&M Mama, Old Navy and Gap, and Target’s newish Ingrid Maternity by Ingrid and Isabel line. If an item seems to fit poorly and is too big in the belly, but you like it otherwise, keep it and try on again in a month. You’ll grow fast! For pants, over the belly is most comfortable, and towards the end just give in and wear leggings with a cute top, or better yet, dresses. Pants are the enemy! Congratulations again, and I hope this (unsolicited) advice is helpful!

• Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Thank you for the tips! <3 I've loved browsing ASOS petite maternity (really really wish they would have more styles and variety b/c everything sells out so quickly!) and H&M maternity so far.

• Petite Teacher March 17, 2018 at 12:17 pm

It’s a super cute and very feminine dress and I absolutely love it. I wouldn’t dare wearing it in class though…imagine what it would look like after a few hours of teaching…

• Briana March 17, 2018 at 3:57 pm

I have a similar drape jacket that I am completely in love with! So fun!

Briana

• Jae March 17, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Gorgeous white dress! Love the ruffle detail! Spring can’t come soon enough!
      Jae

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog March 18, 2018 at 2:30 am

I love how sophisticated and girly the outfit is, Jean! Definitely a look for both work and dinner, perfect on a Friday night! 🙂

• Kristen March 18, 2018 at 6:19 am

This look is so beautiful, Jean! Those colors together are stunning. Thanks for sharing!

• Jenny Yang March 18, 2018 at 10:31 am

So in love with this look! And your hair is always looking so perfect!
      xx jen

• May March 19, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Definitely considering buying this dress. You make it look so good!

Sincerely,
      May || https://themoderness.com/

• Jandrew March 19, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Jean this is a lovely look ! Your hair up is one way to make this look so sophisticated.
      Jandrew
      Dress The Part

• Amy March 19, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Hi Jean, I’ve always loved your outfit and tips posts! I just thought of a question and noticed that you probably don’t have an article about it yet – I have always been impressed with how good and well-kept your jeans are. Do you have any tips/tricks on how to care for jeans properly so the color and material last well (like how often do you wear them, wash them, etc.)? Granted, perhaps you have enough jeans such that you don’t need to wear each too frequently, but my friend and I have always wondered about your jeans care! 🙂

• Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Hi there – I wash my jeans pretty infrequently (unless I wore them for travel or got them noticeably dirty) just like most of my clothing that I want to preserve color on. I usually wash them inside out on the gentle cycle, and dry in the machine dryer only if I’m trying to shrink them back down a little bit. Machine drying tends to be damaging on most garments and causes fading, worn-looking fabric, etc

• Sincerely Ophelia March 20, 2018 at 12:01 am

Love the ruffles dress. The neutral colors are so pretty and easy on the eyes!

XOXO //
      SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Elizabeth March 20, 2018 at 1:49 am

This dress is sooo beautiful! Loving how versatile it is, and how you styled it for two completely different looks! <3 🙂

XO, Elizabeth

• Katarzyna March 20, 2018 at 5:49 am

You are so beautiful! You dress classically and elegantly. I’m your big fan 😉

• Anonymous March 20, 2018 at 12:41 pm

The elegant ruffles of your dress complement the waterfall style of your jacket so well! Such a beautifully put together outfit and I love the way you’ve done your hair!

x
      Shlokahttp://www.thesilksneaker.com

• Shloka March 20, 2018 at 12:42 pm

I love the way the ruffles of your dress really complement the waterfall style of your jacket! Such a beautifully put together outfit and I love love the way you’ve done your hair!

x
      Shloka

• Soprano2 March 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm

White House Black Market has a similar dress available in Petite https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/belted+aline+dress/570230698?color=190&catId=cat210002 I tried it on in the store, and while it wasn’t for me I found it to be a nice piece. Plus, it’s machine washable! I refuse to purchase any white clothes that have to be dry cleaned, because inevitably they yellow after a couple of years.

• xuan March 22, 2018 at 4:24 am

After going some posts from your site, I think I have been wearing the wrong size. I am right on 5 feet tall but only 82lbs dressed. I am wearing mostly 0 and XS. Sometimes 2 and S for a bit of loose fit. With clothing being made bigger now, it’s a bit harder to find stuff that fits me. I was a 3/4 in HS, and a size 2 before kids. Now after two kid sand near 40 I am at a 0 and a bit loose.

• Sara March 24, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Hi jean- was this jacket in flower petal? Online be it looks more beige but on you it looks more pink, could you let me know?

• Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Hi Sara – yes it is! I’d say the true color is in-between my photos and the online stock photos. It’s not as beige as it looks online but the lighting in my pics also makes it look a tad more pink than it really is. It’s like a light mauve-beige. Hope that helps!

• Sara March 27, 2018 at 3:07 am

I’m extremely inspired along with your dresses and also with the information of your blog. Is that this a adorable dresses.

• The pink pineapple March 27, 2018 at 8:53 am

Super cute and sophisticated dress

• Dee March 27, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Hi Jean – Love this dress. Where do you recommend petite brides look for bridal shower and rehearsal dinner dresses? Any info would be much appreciated!

• Gina April 2, 2018 at 4:44 pm

I love this dress but I was too slow in buying. It’s not available in my size online.