Oversized print scarf 3 ways – bib, shawl, and double loop

horsebit autumn scarf1

U.O. scarf (similar in chain print but smaller, 30% off w/ FAF), H&M; blazer,  LOFT pleat front blouse
J.Crew wool cafe capris ($37.50 w/ SHOPNOW for orders over $150), shrunken and legs slimmed

I don’t often make it across the river to Cambridge, but somehow wound up at the Urban Outfitters bargain basement after playing tour guide for friends. While they busied themselves trying on triple-markdown cat sweaters, I spotted this bright scarf out of the corner of my eye. I’m a sucker for fiery fall foliage colors, and with the addition of horsebit buckles and jewel print – I’m sold. At 53″ x 53″, though, it definitely spans larger than any other scarf I own. Here are some ways that I’ve been experimenting around with it.

First up above is my personal favorite for showing off scarves with nice pattern in the corners. Fold it in half diagonally into a triangle, and cross the two ends behind your neck so you have a “bib” of sorts. Pull the two ends down in the front and tuck loosely behind the bib. The scarf here pretty much serves as a printed blouse, so you can simply layer a plain, comfy tee underneath.
horsebit autumn scarf2
For a cozy afternoon at the coffee shop, a large scarf can serve as a shawl. If you move around a lot, you can secure it in place with a vintage brooch.
horsebit autumn scarf3Below: Ann Taylor Lara pumps c/o, now on sale with an extra 40% off in 2 color combos. For anyone looking for shoe inserts, Stiletto Hardware (see my old review) is offering 20% off all items with code XP20 until November 2nd. I use the ball of foot cushions for shoes that have stretched out, and love the back of heel cushions (sometimes stack 2 on top of each other) to keep shoes from digging into my ankles.
horsebit autumn scarf4
For this last style, fold the scarf diagonally into a triangle then fold/roll once more into a thinner tube. Wrap it into two loops around your neck and secure the ends in a tiny knot. This style is good for showing off the center diagonal section of printed scarves. My favorite part of this print is in the corners, which were all unfortunately concealed here. I’ll have to try this fold with solids or smaller prints in the future.
horsebit autumn scarf

Bib, shawl, or double loop – which way was your favorite?

65 thoughts on “Oversized print scarf 3 ways – bib, shawl, and double loop

• Gigi Katz October 31, 2013 at 11:29 pm

love the shoes! and the leaves behind you are stunning. xx. gigi. http://www.gigikkitchen.com

• Jean November 1, 2013 at 12:58 am

Yes, I do and my friends own a few pairs that I've tried on. It depends on what type of fit you're most comfortable with and how snug you like your denim. I personally prefer very skinny so their "Modern Super Skinny" cut (http://www.loft.com/LOFT-DFG-petite-modern-super-skinny-fit/cat810050?supCat=catl00005&loc;=petitedenimguidefit&icid;=petitedenimguidefit_modernsuperskinny) in a dark blue or black might be my pick. My friend finds the modern skinny to be more comfortable, but it fits looser for me in the bum. It doesn't hurt to order a few different styles during one of their big sales to try on, because I agree it's overwhelming to choose from just based on looking at the site photos! Good luck : )

• Jean November 1, 2013 at 1:00 am

I wouldn't wear such bright colors in a more conservative office or out with clients, but my group is pretty business casual so I did wear it to work.

• Jean November 1, 2013 at 1:01 am

Thank you for taking the time to say "hello"! For more scarf ideas, have you checked out Wendyslookbook's scarf video on YouTube? So many ideas to choose from : )

• Jean November 1, 2013 at 1:02 am

Thank you, and I certainly hope to! It's gorgeous there with so much culture. And oh yea, lobster sandwiches at Alive n Kickin ; )

• The_Leather_Skirt_Blog November 1, 2013 at 10:10 am

Your scarf is gorgeous!!! Ann Taylor does make the best pair of classy heels! Own a couple of pair already. Love'em!

• Anonymous November 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

today is 11/1 and XP20 (in caps) does not work. Did it expire already? Jean said it was valid until 11/2.

• Kelly (Stiletto Hardware) November 1, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hi, The code should still be valid! Try applying the code first before adding the product to your cart. Also, you will need to apply the code to each item you purchase. You may also try deleting your cache and browsing history or use a different browser. Please let me know if this is still not working for you and I can assist you further. Feel free to email me at info @stilettohardware dot com.

Hope this helps!
    Kelly

• Anonymous November 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Omg, gorgeous, GORGEOUS pics.. what a perfect backdrop as well – those leaves are stunning! I commend the photographer (and the subject!) : )

• More Style Than Fashion November 2, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Lovely outfit! The colors, the combination. Great style 😀

• Elle November 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm

autumn in your town is so beautiful. Here in Utah, it is so short! Beautiful photos–props to both the model and the photographer. 🙂

• Linda N. November 4, 2013 at 10:00 pm

The colors are gorgeous!

• Mady T. November 9, 2013 at 6:34 am

love the outfit! the pants are so cute!

xoxo
    Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

• Anonymous November 21, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I love the orange and magenta color pairing! I make nature inspired jewelry with those colors too! http://www.kblossoms.etsy.com