Summer Weekends – Fresh fruit picking

asos skirt and crop top

ASOS Petites chambray dot 2-piece set (no longer available) (similar one-piece), Gap outlet hat (similar), old H&M; cross-body bag

Last Saturday morning, my friend mentioned a strawberry-picking festival with promises of strawberry shortcake, which was enough to get me leaping out of bed. I love picking seasonal fruit at local farms, but the cherry on top is when the farm’s market offers corresponding treats (fresh cider donuts, anyone?). If you’re interested in finding “pick your own” farms near you, this international guide looks like a pretty good resource (seeking out cherries next!).

asos skirt and crop top1

Our first stop of the day was to fuel up on my favorite breakfast dish in the greater Boston area…

shakshuka

Sofra, a little Turkish bakery & cafe, is the sister operation of Sienna Farms and the popular Oleana restaurant in Cambridge. I’ve tried a number of things here, but the “shakshuka” (eggs poached in a flavorful tomato broth served with a freshly-baked roll) brings me back time and time again. If you don’t like your eggs too runny, let them know. We’ve tried to recreate this dish at home and it never comes close. Tip – order 3 extra “pita” rolls to sop up the yummy sauce, and it could be a small breakfast for two (leaving room to try the pastries).

strawberries

For the farm, I was warned that there’d be sweat, crawling, and lots of bending over. I picked an easy-to-wash ASOS set, wore bike shorts underneath, and grabbed a big hat for sun protection. I first saw this skirt set on Khatu last year and loved it on her. The midi-length design (original fit) was not flattering on me with flats, so I hemmed it a few inches shorter to hit right above the knees. ASOS Petite runs very small in my experience – I’m wearing a US 0/1 petite here, which fits about a size smaller than American brand 00Ps.

asos skirt and crop top3

We went to Verrill Farm in Concord, MA (30-40 min outside the city), which allowed self-picking starting at 9AM. Entrance is free and picked berries were a reasonable $3/lb. I highly recommend arriving at farms as early as possible – we lazily rolled in around 1pm and the fields were very picked over (visitors after us were cut off). All the ripe berries remaining were teeny but tasty, and the air in the fields smelled so sweet and delicious.

Post-picking snack of strawberry shortcake with a generous dollop of whipped cream
strawberry shortcake

Soft-serve ice cream lovers should save room for Dairy Joy on the way home, and Thoreau fans can make a detour to the nearby Walden pond reservation. After we got home, the mini-sized berries made a good puree for chilled bubbly drinks.

strawberry drinks and dairy joy
Photos borrowed from friends’ Instagrams

I must say, picking grounded fruit turned out to be one of the best workouts my thighs/butt have had in a while. The only ripe berries left were hidden underneath, requiring low bobbing from row to row. I had been doing squats regularly at home, but the burn from those was nothing compared to what was felt the days post-berry picking.

67 thoughts on “Summer Weekends – Fresh fruit picking

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

These lifestyle posts are actually why I think this is such a great style blog. True style is not about just endless shopping – and it shouldn't be the top priority in your life. ExtraPetite isn't about being a slave to fashion and that's why it is my favorite style blog. You show clothing in context – the right outfit for every occasion and yet not making the occasion ABOUT the outfit. I am a big fan of the food and lifestyle posts and quickly get bored with other, more one dimensional blogs.
    And yet, I don't post complaints on those blogs because it would be rude!! Those crabbers need to get a life so it doesn't torment them so much to come across something that's not ALL ABOUT SHOPPING. And get the perspective to just move on to the next blog if it kills them so much. THOUSANDS of style blogs out there. I love EP because it is different and richer in content.

• Miriam Stella June 29, 2013 at 10:31 am

you dress is so lovely 😀 i was wondering if you would like to follow me on gfc and bloglovin… i will surely follow you back 😀

fashion blog miriam stella

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

I first discovered this blog at the tail end of 2011 and it was a revelation of petite options and fit issues. After reading through every single one of her posts and following for a year and a half, I have managed to apply Jean's tips to my own style and budget and now have a wardrobe I am very happy with. While I don't find the new direction of the blog as useful or relatable in the sense of here's-something-currently-out-in-stores-that's-bound-to-fit-me, I still look forward to new posts because I appreciate quality, thoughtful posts and because I've just come to like Jean and am interested in what she's up to.

I am a bit baffled by the attitude that Jean owes her readers any kind of content. This is a blog and it is HER blog! We are not paying for a service! Yet Jean still kindly takes the time to answer reader questions and offer suggestions. This blog is still a gold mine of petite knowledge and resources; you just have to dig into the archives. And if it's frequent reviews of the standard petite fare (BR, AT, LOFT, H&M;, etc.)you're looking for, there are plenty of other bloggers who provide that (e.g.,really been enjoying Ping's reviews lately).
    ~Shirley

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 11:23 am

Clothing in context.. exactly! Well put!
    ~Shirley

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm

i think jean's blog is great, and i look forward to what she has to post and share with readers, regardless of whether the topic is food or clothing. however, this dress is totally not an appropriate outfit for strawberry picking. my family used to do this, year after year, and if you actually want to participate, wearing a ratty tee and shorts would be the best way to go. the berries can easily stain your nice clothes. i love the dress and i think the photos turned out great, but this is really is not a practical outfit for this activity.

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Well Jean, I'm pretty new to your blog but I love it! I'm petite too (almost 5'1") but I'm the total opposite on the clothing scale as you. I'm a 10P-12P in bottoms and a L-XL in tops. So I'm a pretty weird fit with my upper half being much larger than my lower half. However, seeing how you've altered pieces to fit you has really inspired me. I've always assumed that what most bloggers wear they just pull off the shelf, put on and voila! perfect fit! I love how you show otherwise and between you and Kelly at Alterations Needed I've taken a few items of clothing to get altered and now I actually wear them instead of letting them just gather dust in my closet!

You come across as a kind, sincere and elegant. I've enjoyed reading about your excursions as well as your fashion posts. So maybe you've lost one reader but you've gained another! Please keep on doing what you do.

Carol

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 5:57 pm

…and what's wrong with blood pudding?

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm

i think that's why she pointed out that she picked an ensemble that is "easy-to-wash"

• Anonymous June 30, 2013 at 5:42 am

very cute outfit! you may wish to check the the renay pants from club monaco – super petite-friendly and fits very nicely.

• juliemery Bibbò June 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

Nice dress…
    Great blog…

• rodelmalopez June 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm

nice outfit for strawberry picking,

• AlexisB June 30, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I'm very late but just wanted to say I love this blog. LOVE it! For me it has gotten better over time. If someday it no longer appeals to me I will simply stop visiting. I don't pay to come here. I know that no blogger has any obligation to me.

Thank you, Jean, for all your hard work and encouragement to petites to not just accept poor fitting clothes but to carefully shop and insist on good fit.

• Rains June 30, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Hi Jean! I'm from the Philippines and I'm 5'1". I love the way you dress because it's simple yet elegant; you can match cheap clothes and accessories with high-end ones, and that is truly an inspiration for people like me who are on a tight budget. More good stuff, please! 😀

P.S. I noticed that most of your shoes and accessories are of neutral color. Why?

• Anonymous July 1, 2013 at 2:53 am

I thought the photos were really great and fashionable… like an editorial lol. Some people just constantly shop but never understand style or fashion and get mad when its not so blatantly obvious.

• Constance July 2, 2013 at 3:03 am

These are such cute photos!!!

• KTR July 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I actually prefer to see photos like these as Jean is having fun, enjoying life and looking fab at it! Well I also enjoy seeing the reviews and the DIYs. The variety gives a blog life and it's not redundant which makes it interesting. I'm sure the anon commenter is just fishing for attention by being negative and rude.

• Anonymous July 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Hi Jean, I have been following your blog and absolutely love it. I have found a website where I find the most fashionable and affordable shoes as it is a challenge to find cute shoes in my size (I wear a US size 3) and not to mention the fast delivery! If you wish to take a look at the inventory, you can do so my visiting their website: http://www.alonai.com