Casual Fall: Olive jeans, soft cashmere & scalloped lace

oliveleopard3

Seven olive legging jeans (similar available in short inseam), Gap kids lace top
Vince cashmere cardigan (similar), Calvin Klein leopard pumps (this year’s version)
Every so often, I like to rifle through my closet for pieces that have not been getting much love. Sometimes the lack of wear is due to seasonality, but sometimes it’s indicative of a poor purchasing decision. Such is the case with this top – I bought not one, but two very similar lace shells, neither of which were touched in the past 6 months. This is also the reason why I now try to deliberate over every purchase (whether it’s $15 or $1500), because each new item that adds little value is just unnecessary consumerism and wasted closet space. That being said, mistakes still happen, and hopefully the item(s) can just find a better home.

oliveleopard2

This sweater, on the other hand, is an old favorite found years ago while combing eBay for “100% cashmere” treasures. It was stowed away for the summer and I was thrilled to re-discover it. Each time I cuddle up in the soft and cozy material, I’m reminded of why one should not settle for itchy, pilling-prone knitwear.

oliveleopard1
Lastly, these olive jeans were a staple last Fall, but I eventually grew tired of the too-long length bunching up at my ankles. When hemming jeans, it’s probably common knowledge to go with the “original hem,” when the tailor removes the original hem with the pressed/faded marks and re-stitches it to the shortened leg opening for a natural look. Previously, I’ve paid ~$25 to get this done in the name of saving time, but on my last visit to a nearby tailor, the price was bumped up to a whopping $36 per pair! It’s probably still worth the hours of DIY labor spared, but I stubbornly brought the jeans home to hand-hem at my leisure (translate: they will still be un-hemmed this time next year).
oliveleopard
If anyone is interested in a petite-friendly lace shell, I am selling this white Banana Republic Mad Men one for $30 including S&H; (U.S. address only, please). Size is XXS Petite and the fit is very small, like an H&M; size 2. For fit reference, in those review photos I am ~ 90lbs and 5 feet tall. Please leave a comment to claim if interested and contact me.

Readers – How do you decide when to part with an item, and where do you like to donate or sell your pieces?

94 Comments

1. Gayle wrote:

OK, where the hell have I been? I'm a five foot tall fashion fanatic who is always on the prowl for great petite looks and good buys. Love Extra Petite!

I second your comment about refusing to wear itchy/scratchy sweaters. A lot of us petite gals seem to have sensitive skin to boot. Add in the fact I am a redhead and I can just look at something scratchy and break out in a rash. I've given up anything in wool or various blends with wool, nylon, angora, ramie, etc. Give me good cashmere or cotton. Otherwise I'd rather go with fleece or a great knit. Thank goodness I live in Southern California where sweaters aren't entirely necessary.

You seem to love redhead friendly colors and I am thrilled! I deem you an honorary Ginger. :–)

Posted 11.1.12 Reply
  2. Debra wrote:

Hi Jean! Love this look. I think the edginess of the leather belt contrasts well with the ladylike lace top. And a cashmere sweater. Sigh….what more could a girl ask for? You & I are the same size & I would LOVE to shop your closet! 🙂 About perging….I give my clothes to either my friend or donate them (tax write off when you have an itemized list ladies!)

Lovin' your blog girl!
    Debra@stylewisebydebra.blogspot.com

Posted 10.23.12 Reply
  3. beautiful combination!

Posted 10.18.12 Reply
  4. Love the casual look of your outfit.

Sofia

Stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

Posted 10.16.12 Reply
  5. Love the casual look of your outfit.

Sofia

Stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

Posted 10.16.12 Reply
  6. I love everything about this look – gorgeous pieces that could be dressed up or down, and I love how you combined them here. I agree – $36 is way too much for an original hem job… if you haven't done a tutorial about it before, would you consider doing one in the future? I have just gone through my Fall clothes and have many that I don't want in my closet, but am having a hard time parting with them. I hope I can pass them along to my sister or a friend before considering other options
    xx
    Here&Now;

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  7. gabbeezy wrote:

I love the lace top! Reminds me of something Leighton Meester would wear on Gossip Girl. This ensemble would look great in my Gossip Girl collection on SocialBliss! http://www.socialbliss.com/gabbeezy/xoxo-gossip-girl-GQ4TMNJW

Posted 10.10.12 Reply
  8. I love your whole outfit, especially the contrast you have with the lace top, belt and cardigan. I would never have thought of buying things from Gap Kids!

Posted 10.9.12 Reply
  9. CamMi Pham wrote:

love this outfit very casual chic
    Cammi @ Cammilicious.com

Posted 10.9.12 Reply
  10. Anonymous wrote:

Hi Jean! Quick question and request: would you consider writing a "closet tips" post? It would be great to see the inside of your closet and how you keep shoes, bags, jeans, sweaters/knits, etc organized. You seem like someone who has it all figured out!

Posted 10.9.12 Reply
  11. You Look really very beautiful in this outfit.

Posted 10.9.12 Reply
  12. Rachel wrote:

Target totally has leopard look-alike pumps in store right now! Picked up a pair yesterday for $30.

Posted 10.8.12 Reply
  13. Love your top!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

Posted 10.8.12 Reply
  14. Althea wrote:

Hi Jean,
    I have been wanting to get the Saffiano lux tote, may i know what is your model number? thanks alot!

Posted 10.8.12 Reply
  15. manu wrote:
    Posted 10.8.12 Reply
  16. manu wrote:

This comment has been removed by the author.

Posted 10.8.12 Reply
  17. That is a perfect combination, the olive jeans and lace top are fit very well. I must ask one more thing, Do you really 5 feet tall? But it doesn’t look like that. Don’t sell it because you are good on it.

Posted 10.8.12 Reply
  18. Hi Yolanda – I haven't heard back from the first lady, so please email me at extrapetiteblog at gmail.com if you're still interested. Thanks!

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  19. Thanks for the post, Susan! Unfortunately, my machine doesn't get as close up to the original stitch as I'd like it to…for a seamless connection between original hem and new hem. As a result I've been hand-sewing, which is pretty tedious with thicker denims.

20. Thanks for the tip, Michela! Too bad I don't live close to them : /

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  21. Interesting! Thanks for sharing the video.

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  22. Hi Nora – you are right, I think it's important to envision what you can pair a new piece with using items existing in your closet. I've returned many things that seemed great on their own, but after bringing them home, I realized I could not pair more than a handful of outfits with them using existing items. You can do that mentally before buying, or actually try to do pairings after buying (if returning things is convenient for you).

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  23. Hi Rebecca! Yes it does make sense…you need to make sure the new leg opening gets tapered in a little more so that it matches up to the length of the original hem that was cut off.

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  24. Hi Mailei- I never heard from the first person so please email me at extrapetiteblog at gmail.com if you're still interested. Thanks!

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  25. I think it was "borrowed" by Nick from his dad, and now it's mine : )

I can't imagine temperatures "going down" to 80's! Oh my!

26. It's a size L : )

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  27. Hi there – Unfortunately, I don't have many tips..I would just suggest keeping them folded up versus on hangers (which will stretch knits out), laying them flat to dry after hand-washing, or, if you prefer not hand-washing, getting them dry cleaned every so often to avoid wear and tear from a washing machine.

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  28. Yep, must be the same one!

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  29. I would love to find a seamstress that works out of her home, but it's also hard to build up trust with new tailors. It's a shame your friend moved!

I am keeping the similar Gap one, for the time being, anyways : )

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  30. Thanks, Ann! A trim was long overdue : )

31. Ashley wrote:

Super cute outfit!! Love your lace top and cheetah heels 🙂

With Love,
    Ashley
    ASassyWoman.Com

32. Nora wrote:

Jean, I've just started watching ALL of your videos after seeing the latest Prada saffiano one and I just want to tell you how much I adore them! I'm also petite (but just in height – I'm def bigger widthwise) but I have learned to pay more attention to fit from everything you've done.

I was wondering if you'd consider addressing some of the criteria you use when purchasing new pieces. I know that you've said that you are more careful in what you purchase nowadays but for example with that red thrifted skirt – when you bought it, did you know that you could pair it with so many pieces? Is that something you do a mental rundown in your head of what outfits you can have befor eyou buy it? Does that just depend on price point?

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm a fan. Also your hair looks so great in the videos!

33. Milna wrote:

Looking good as always!!!

milna89.blogspot.com
    Kisses Milna!

Posted 10.7.12 Reply
  34. I donate my pieces to Salvation Army or Goodwill. I also send my unwanted clothes back home so that they are distributed to needy people.

35. sophié wrote:

lovely outfit and wearable look too – not like some other blogs where the outfits are just for posing in. Personally – not keen on lace as I find them itchy – unless super high quality and expensive! To answer your question I go through my wardrobe at the start of the season and eliminate things that are no longer 'right'. this is hard – like teeth extraction – but it needs to be done as we live in a small central london flat. Otherwise our clothes would take over and we would be living in a giant wardrobe. I no longer bother selling on e bay as its just not worth it. The fees are too high and there are too many fraudalant buyers. Just not worth the hassle so they go to charity shops.

Posted 10.5.12 Reply
  36. Love this cute, casual look. : )

Posted 10.5.12 Reply
  37. Anonymous wrote:

You look so pretty and the outfit looks really good on you!
    I ponder a lot when I go shopping so that I don't regret buying something; therefore, I usually only donate clothes that I are starting to look worn-out.

I have a wonderful mother who hems my jeans for me 🙂 but I'm sure there are tutorial videos on youtube.

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  38. Amy Yang wrote:

As always, you look so great. I love love love your outfit ~

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  39. Anonymous wrote:

Jean, you are totally overpaying for the hem jobs. I pay $10 with my tailor to keep original hem and $6 otherwise & I live in NYC!

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  40. Hi Diana – since you're the first to reply, please email me at extrapetiteblog at gmail.com with your address. If you changed your mind, please let me know as well so I can respond to the other ladies below. Thank you!

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  41. Sorry, Julzmak! I only ship where I can track the package, to be safe.

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  42. Great decision to part with your item considering it hasn't been worn for a long time. I also go through my closet every once in while and donate any clothes that don't fit or are not my taste any longer. Love the cashmere sweater!

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  43. Anonymous wrote:

Hi Jean,

Love your blog in helping us all make smarter clothing decisions.

I know you have a lot of readers and thought this might be a good spot to bring attention to this cause.

Please watch the PBS documentary posted below and share with others!

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  44. Rebecca wrote:

Hi Jean! I've read your blog for awhile but have never commented. I am also petite but not as petite as you (5'3", 105 lb). I have issues with skinny jeans – they are always SO long and bunchy. When I get them hemmed with the original hem re-attached, they look weird because the hem can't really be "evenly" put back on, if that makes sense – because the jeans are more tapered at the bottom than up higher where it has to be re-attached. How do you deal w/ this issue when you do your own hems? BTW $36 for original hem reattachment is ridiculous. I pay $25 (I live in DC) and even that is painful.

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  45. Mailei wrote:

I was wondering if you were still selling this top. I was looking for one similar to it last week and it seems like this is perfect!

Thank you for running such a nice blog–you've inspired me every day and I always look forward to seeing what you put together!

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  46. Elisse wrote:

This is one of my favorite outfits of yours, ever! Love this neutral/earthy palette for fall.
    And sweaters are basically all I wear from Oct – March 🙂

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
  47. Michelle wrote:

Know exactly what you mean. I have been feeling some shame lately when I look at my closet…quite a few items that do not get worn, but I bought them because they were on sale.

So is that belt from Nick's dad? Or are you borrowing it? Lol! I assumed the latter, but then second guessed myself.

Love these pants on you. And the sweater looks so cozy! Cannot wait for the cooler weather in Vegas! We have been nearing record highs lately, but will start to go down to the 80s soon!

48. Jess wrote:

Love this look. And that bag is amazing!

livinglifelimitlessly.blogspot.com

49. Yolanda wrote:

I would love to buy the lace shell if it's still available

50. Nandar wrote:

I have been following your blog more than 2 yrs now. I just learnt from you that now try to deliberate over every purchase. Thank you. 🙂 Mistakes will still happen but I will be careful

51. Suzie Q wrote:

Love how the olive jeans look with the cream lace shell. I've been wanting olive jeans since last Fall, the ones you have look great on you!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  52. I loved loved … Kisses.
    Visit and follow …

53. Anonymous wrote:

Wondering what Gap Kids size the lace top is? Never thought of looking in the kids department! 🙂

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  54. I just started reselling items at a startup called Twice, the profit margins are definitely lower than what you might find on e-Bay, Threadflip, or a blog sale, but it is ultra quick and convenient. You should check it out. I actually just reviewed the service here. 🙂

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  55. Your is the ONLY blog that is informative, useful , affordable, chic, classic and updated. I wish you all the very best for every venture!

56. Susan wrote:

Hemming jeans and keeping the original hem is actually very easy – you just need a sewing machine! This website does a great job explaining: http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38

(and it's definitely not worth paying $36 for!!!)

57. Elf wrote:

I just discovered your blog and I couldn't be happier. I'm 5'3'' (though I somehow look shorter than you) and I'm not good at fashion choices for my height at all. It's great to see combos on a short woman like myself to see how they'd look on me. Great blog, keep up the good work!

P.S. You're gorgeous 🙂

58. Anonymous wrote:

Would you mind doing a post on how to take care of knitted items?

59. GEMMA wrote:

OMG! You look perfect in this outfit! Love it:)

Love,Gemma

60. Erin wrote:

I love how thoughtful you are about your purchasing decisions! This top is really pretty with the olive jeans and leopard heels. And the sweater makes it the perfect cozy fall look!

-Erin-
    OneTwoSummer

61. newpetite wrote:

I go though my clothes every season to see what i havent worn, what im bored of and what needs to go… and in the process find some hidden cuties 🙂

you look lovely and the sweater looks so cozy!

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  62. Oh as for donating, I usually just hand my old things to a Goodwill Drop Off (they accept without inspecting things- my hope is that any rejects end up being recycled into carpets instead of taking up room in landfills). I've been lucky to have multiple Goodwill Drop Offs in SF, which I found on Yelp

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  63. I've been using youtube videos on hemming jeans (with the original hem). It is so easy… and saves so much time and money! I buy pricey jeans that were discounted on ebay and just hem them myself.

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  64. I love seeing you in a casual outfit with jeans. That sweater looks so cozy and comfy, definitely a great buy!

xo, Yi-chia

65. Anonymous wrote:

Is the sweater Vince? I'm 90% sure I have the exact same one from like 8 years ago. It's still a favorite!

66. Law Moda wrote:

The dainty lace top with the rough leather belt looks great.

lawmoda.blogspot.com

67. anna wrote:

Love the outfit. Nice neutrals.

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  68. LOVE the scalloped shirt. and the heels are a great pop to the outfit!

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  69. I love how you found your belt from Nick's dad haha :)! As for unworn items…as an uni student who just recently starting shopping carefully…my old clothes are pretty unworn, repetitive and very unloved. I just recently moved to a new apartment and decided to downsize by donating a ton of stuff I didn't want to wear anymore. Hopefully the clothes went to some good use for someone else :).

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  70. I decide to part with an item when I haven't worn it in years and it is still sitting in my closet unworn, even though it's a garment that I adore. At times sentiment comes into play, but I try to whittle my wardrobe down every so often.

As for donating/selling, it depends on what the item is. If it isn't one that will fetch much, I would usually donate it. There are donation bins in my neighborhood that I can easily drop off the clothes.

Also, I deliberate on my purchases, much like you do regardless of amount. 😉

For items that I do decide to sell, for convenience, I'll take it to consignment stores such as Second Time Around (love the one in Boston!). Otherwise, if it's something I intend to recoup the cost or a higher percentage than the consignment store, I offload it on eBay or Bonanza.

fauxionista.com

71. JM wrote:

I am really enjoying the new direction of your blog. I've always thought you had great style, and I really appreciate your new emphasis on mindful consumerism and thrifted purchases. (That spirit has been noticeable over the last year I've followed your blog, but it's coming through even stronger now!) You have a big following, and I'm sure that you'll continue to influence your readers in a positive way. Cheers!

72. Star White wrote:

You look darling, I like how you combined pattern and texture in this post for a casual classy look!

73. Janki wrote:

I know I say this each time, but your blog really has influenced what I look for in terms of fit and fashion. I have started getting into the idea of the "well curated wardrobe", where all the pieces fit and work well. Luckily I get most of my clothes thrifted so it doesn't "hurt" as much to donate items if the fit isn't good or cannot be faked well.

Why are you selling the BR top? Are you keeping the Gap one that was similar (didn't you buy a kids version of that?).

I hear you on the alteration prices. Even when I buy a Talbots blazer for only $2, I cringe at spending $30 for the sleeves… I need to get over that since ill fitting clothes don't add anything at all.

For the jeans, have you thought about looking for a seamstress who works out of her home? I had a friend who advertised on Craigslist for simple jobs like hems, etc. I used to use her a lot until she moved.

74. NH Prep wrote:

This is adorable! That sweater looks so comfy!

I need to have all of my jeans hemmed, and Nois Dous Tailor Shop in Everett, MA does a good job sewing back the original hem for under $10 (last time I checked). I wouldn't start off with a pair of really nice jeans, because I do have one pair of jeans that came back too short, but you might like to check them out!

Love your blog,
    Michela

75. NH Prep wrote:

This comment has been removed by the author.

76. Rachelle wrote:

cute combo, I love the olive and lace. the animal print touch is just perfect.
    xo
    Rachelle

77. Ann wrote:

You cut your hair? Looks great!

78. Sarah wrote:

Love those shoes! It's fun to see an outfit featured here with pants 😉

79. Ashley wrote:

I have those jeans too, mine are still unhemmed and waaay too long. I feel your pain! Why do they make them so long when they are so small?

80. Diana wrote:

I'm interested in that shell…. I actually was bummed I missed it with the collection.

81. Kimberly wrote:

Love that you found the sweater on eBay – I shop there all the time and get the best deals! I have this same GapKids top in coral and wish I had found it in ivory, because I like the idea of transitioning lace into fall this way. Those skinnies are such a great color too!! 🙂

82. m wrote:

it's too bad you're selling the top, because it looks so beautiful on you!

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  83. Love this look!! Those olive jeans are definitely a staple especially since they're a bit military inspired!

-Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

84. Sabrina wrote:

Love how you wear that belt! And I always lovelovelove lace worn together with heavier knits, it's so pretty!

x
    Sabrina

85. Krizia wrote:

I must say, your Prada purse + cardigan really make this outfit tops!

86. Anonymous wrote:

As always, you look great! I love the juxtaposition of different textures and the color combination is a welcome reminder that Fall is upon us. I wish you were my stylist!

87. Chelsey wrote:

Really pretty, chic outfit. Love the color combo

88. Casusal, chic, and classy! Love it Jean 🙂

89. Emily wrote:

Hey, when you take up your jeans go at them with a nail file to make them look worn, I have a tutorial on youtube on shortening jeans if you want instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3hv7CuALA

90. Anonymous wrote:

I agree! Jean is so classy and composed.

Jean, that cashmere cardigan looks SO comfy. It looks so nice coordinated with the olive jeggings and cream lace.

91. Mary Ann wrote:

I'd love it but I don't like I could do an XXSP….I'm closer to an H&M; 4. Oh well. The jeans look great on you!

92. julzmak wrote:

love to buy off you but im overseas 🙁 happy to cover shipping damn..

93. Anonymous wrote:

Jean,

I've been following your blog for a little while now. It never ceases to amaze me how you always handle mean-spirited comments with such aplomb. Bravo!

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?