• Casual Fall: Olive jeans, soft cashmere & scalloped lace

oliveleopard3

Seven olive legging jeans (similar available in short inseam), Gap kids lace top
    Vince cashmere cardigan (similar), Calvin Klein leopard pumps (this year’s version)
    Every so often, I like to rifle through my closet for pieces that have not been getting much love. Sometimes the lack of wear is due to seasonality, but sometimes it’s indicative of a poor purchasing decision. Such is the case with this top – I bought not one, but two very similar lace shells, neither of which were touched in the past 6 months. This is also the reason why I now try to deliberate over every purchase (whether it’s $15 or $1500), because each new item that adds little value is just unnecessary consumerism and wasted closet space. That being said, mistakes still happen, and hopefully the item(s) can just find a better home.

oliveleopard2

This sweater, on the other hand, is an old favorite found years ago while combing eBay for “100% cashmere” treasures. It was stowed away for the summer and I was thrilled to re-discover it. Each time I cuddle up in the soft and cozy material, I’m reminded of why one should not settle for itchy, pilling-prone knitwear.

oliveleopard1
    Lastly, these olive jeans were a staple last Fall, but I eventually grew tired of the too-long length bunching up at my ankles. When hemming jeans, it’s probably common knowledge to go with the “original hem,” when the tailor removes the original hem with the pressed/faded marks and re-stitches it to the shortened leg opening for a natural look. Previously, I’ve paid ~$25 to get this done in the name of saving time, but on my last visit to a nearby tailor, the price was bumped up to a whopping $36 per pair! It’s probably still worth the hours of DIY labor spared, but I stubbornly brought the jeans home to hand-hem at my leisure (translate: they will still be un-hemmed this time next year).
    oliveleopard
    If anyone is interested in a petite-friendly lace shell, I am selling this white Banana Republic Mad Men one for $30 including S&H; (U.S. address only, please). Size is XXS Petite and the fit is very small, like an H&M; size 2. For fit reference, in those review photos I am ~ 90lbs and 5 feet tall. Please leave a comment to claim if interested and contact me.

Readers – How do you decide when to part with an item, and where do you like to donate or sell your pieces?

94 thoughts on “Casual Fall: Olive jeans, soft cashmere & scalloped lace

• Rebecca October 4, 2012 at 11:21 am

Hi Jean! I've read your blog for awhile but have never commented. I am also petite but not as petite as you (5'3", 105 lb). I have issues with skinny jeans – they are always SO long and bunchy. When I get them hemmed with the original hem re-attached, they look weird because the hem can't really be "evenly" put back on, if that makes sense – because the jeans are more tapered at the bottom than up higher where it has to be re-attached. How do you deal w/ this issue when you do your own hems? BTW $36 for original hem reattachment is ridiculous. I pay $25 (I live in DC) and even that is painful.

• Anonymous October 4, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi Jean,

Love your blog in helping us all make smarter clothing decisions.

I know you have a lot of readers and thought this might be a good spot to bring attention to this cause.

Please watch the PBS documentary posted below and share with others!

• lisacng @ expandng.com October 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Great decision to part with your item considering it hasn't been worn for a long time. I also go through my closet every once in while and donate any clothes that don't fit or are not my taste any longer. Love the cashmere sweater!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Sorry, Julzmak! I only ship where I can track the package, to be safe.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 4, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Hi Diana – since you're the first to reply, please email me at extrapetiteblog at gmail.com with your address. If you changed your mind, please let me know as well so I can respond to the other ladies below. Thank you!

• Anonymous October 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Jean, you are totally overpaying for the hem jobs. I pay $10 with my tailor to keep original hem and $6 otherwise & I live in NYC!

• Amy Yang October 4, 2012 at 4:43 pm

As always, you look so great. I love love love your outfit ~

• Anonymous October 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm

You look so pretty and the outfit looks really good on you!
      I ponder a lot when I go shopping so that I don't regret buying something; therefore, I usually only donate clothes that I are starting to look worn-out.

I have a wonderful mother who hems my jeans for me 🙂 but I'm sure there are tutorial videos on youtube.

• Jessy | The Little Dust Princess October 5, 2012 at 12:15 am

Love this cute, casual look. : )

• sophié October 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

lovely outfit and wearable look too – not like some other blogs where the outfits are just for posing in. Personally – not keen on lace as I find them itchy – unless super high quality and expensive! To answer your question I go through my wardrobe at the start of the season and eliminate things that are no longer 'right'. this is hard – like teeth extraction – but it needs to be done as we live in a small central london flat. Otherwise our clothes would take over and we would be living in a giant wardrobe. I no longer bother selling on e bay as its just not worth it. The fees are too high and there are too many fraudalant buyers. Just not worth the hassle so they go to charity shops.

• taraselegance October 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I donate my pieces to Salvation Army or Goodwill. I also send my unwanted clothes back home so that they are distributed to needy people.

• Milna October 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Looking good as always!!!

milna89.blogspot.com
      Kisses Milna!

• Nora October 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Jean, I've just started watching ALL of your videos after seeing the latest Prada saffiano one and I just want to tell you how much I adore them! I'm also petite (but just in height – I'm def bigger widthwise) but I have learned to pay more attention to fit from everything you've done.

I was wondering if you'd consider addressing some of the criteria you use when purchasing new pieces. I know that you've said that you are more careful in what you purchase nowadays but for example with that red thrifted skirt – when you bought it, did you know that you could pair it with so many pieces? Is that something you do a mental rundown in your head of what outfits you can have befor eyou buy it? Does that just depend on price point?

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm a fan. Also your hair looks so great in the videos!

• Ashley October 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Super cute outfit!! Love your lace top and cheetah heels 🙂

With Love,
      Ashley
      ASassyWoman.Com

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Thanks, Ann! A trim was long overdue : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I would love to find a seamstress that works out of her home, but it's also hard to build up trust with new tailors. It's a shame your friend moved!

I am keeping the similar Gap one, for the time being, anyways : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Yep, must be the same one!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Hi there – Unfortunately, I don't have many tips..I would just suggest keeping them folded up versus on hangers (which will stretch knits out), laying them flat to dry after hand-washing, or, if you prefer not hand-washing, getting them dry cleaned every so often to avoid wear and tear from a washing machine.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm

It's a size L : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I think it was "borrowed" by Nick from his dad, and now it's mine : )

I can't imagine temperatures "going down" to 80's! Oh my!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Hi Mailei- I never heard from the first person so please email me at extrapetiteblog at gmail.com if you're still interested. Thanks!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Hi Rebecca! Yes it does make sense…you need to make sure the new leg opening gets tapered in a little more so that it matches up to the length of the original hem that was cut off.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Hi Nora – you are right, I think it's important to envision what you can pair a new piece with using items existing in your closet. I've returned many things that seemed great on their own, but after bringing them home, I realized I could not pair more than a handful of outfits with them using existing items. You can do that mentally before buying, or actually try to do pairings after buying (if returning things is convenient for you).

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Interesting! Thanks for sharing the video.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Thanks for the tip, Michela! Too bad I don't live close to them : /

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for the post, Susan! Unfortunately, my machine doesn't get as close up to the original stitch as I'd like it to…for a seamless connection between original hem and new hem. As a result I've been hand-sewing, which is pretty tedious with thicker denims.

• PetiteAsianGirl October 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hi Yolanda – I haven't heard back from the first lady, so please email me at extrapetiteblog at gmail.com if you're still interested. Thanks!

• Mystery Shopping October 8, 2012 at 3:00 am

That is a perfect combination, the olive jeans and lace top are fit very well. I must ask one more thing, Do you really 5 feet tall? But it doesn’t look like that. Don’t sell it because you are good on it.

• manu October 8, 2012 at 7:08 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• manu October 8, 2012 at 7:12 am
    • Althea October 8, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi Jean,
      I have been wanting to get the Saffiano lux tote, may i know what is your model number? thanks alot!

• Petite Adventures October 8, 2012 at 9:56 am

Love your top!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

• Rachel October 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Target totally has leopard look-alike pumps in store right now! Picked up a pair yesterday for $30.

• Jessica Buurman October 9, 2012 at 6:57 am

You Look really very beautiful in this outfit.

• Anonymous October 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hi Jean! Quick question and request: would you consider writing a "closet tips" post? It would be great to see the inside of your closet and how you keep shoes, bags, jeans, sweaters/knits, etc organized. You seem like someone who has it all figured out!

• CamMi Pham October 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm

love this outfit very casual chic
      Cammi @ Cammilicious.com

• ragsandrichesblog October 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love your whole outfit, especially the contrast you have with the lace top, belt and cardigan. I would never have thought of buying things from Gap Kids!

• gabbeezy October 10, 2012 at 1:26 am

I love the lace top! Reminds me of something Leighton Meester would wear on Gossip Girl. This ensemble would look great in my Gossip Girl collection on SocialBliss! http://www.socialbliss.com/gabbeezy/xoxo-gossip-girl-GQ4TMNJW

• Jessica @ Here(and)Now October 14, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I love everything about this look – gorgeous pieces that could be dressed up or down, and I love how you combined them here. I agree – $36 is way too much for an original hem job… if you haven't done a tutorial about it before, would you consider doing one in the future? I have just gone through my Fall clothes and have many that I don't want in my closet, but am having a hard time parting with them. I hope I can pass them along to my sister or a friend before considering other options
      xx
      Here&Now;

• Sofia Donatelli October 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Love the casual look of your outfit.

Sofia

Stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

• Sofia Donatelli October 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Love the casual look of your outfit.

Sofia

Stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

• The Origin of Pride October 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm

beautiful combination!

• Debra October 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Hi Jean! Love this look. I think the edginess of the leather belt contrasts well with the ladylike lace top. And a cashmere sweater. Sigh….what more could a girl ask for? You & I are the same size & I would LOVE to shop your closet! 🙂 About perging….I give my clothes to either my friend or donate them (tax write off when you have an itemized list ladies!)

Lovin' your blog girl!
      Debra@stylewisebydebra.blogspot.com

• Gayle November 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm

OK, where the hell have I been? I'm a five foot tall fashion fanatic who is always on the prowl for great petite looks and good buys. Love Extra Petite!

I second your comment about refusing to wear itchy/scratchy sweaters. A lot of us petite gals seem to have sensitive skin to boot. Add in the fact I am a redhead and I can just look at something scratchy and break out in a rash. I've given up anything in wool or various blends with wool, nylon, angora, ramie, etc. Give me good cashmere or cotton. Otherwise I'd rather go with fleece or a great knit. Thank goodness I live in Southern California where sweaters aren't entirely necessary.

You seem to love redhead friendly colors and I am thrilled! I deem you an honorary Ginger. :–)