Ann Taylor Fall for Work: Jewel Tones & Fun Textures

ATfall8

Peplum top, exotic block heels, floral top, tweed skirt (sold out but jacket here) thanks to Ann Taylor
Silk Camp Shirt in “Rich Verdigris” (recent purchase, review coming soon)

A while back, I got to peek at Ann Taylor’s fall collection and pick out some favorites to try on. It was hard to choose, but I went with a vibrant color family and fabrics that were fun variations on familiar textures
ATfall2
I wasn’t ready for this, but opaque tights season is already upon us here in New England. To get the most out of cold-weather work clothes, I look for items that pair just as well with bare legs as they do with dark hosiery. I am loving jewel tones for that precise reason, and the teal blue hues from Ann Taylor this fall do not disappoint.
ATfall6

Go-to fall polish: Revlon “Vixen” (stays good for years

The texture of this skirt is listed as “tweed,” but in-person is a thick yarn-knit that seems more like boucle. It has a soft feel to it like felted wool, and the blend of colors are beautiful.

The sizing is generous, and I took it in for a perfect pencil fit. The way the waistband and seams are designed made the alterations rather easy. There is a side zipper and a seam down the back center, so I took it in along that back center seam and reattached the elastic waistband. This skirt also has a matching jacket that has rave reviews online, but I haven’t tried it on personally.
ATfall3
I’ve always been an advocate of AT’s perfect pumps for work, and was interested in trying a block-heeled version. I picked these for the midnight navy color (many readers ask if navy can be work with black – some may not like to, but I do it often) and added interest with wood + snake textures. These have the same fit, cushioning and leather upper as pp’s from past years, but -as many reviewers noticed- now have rubber soles instead of leather soles. After wearing these for a bit, dare I say the sturdy heels make them even more comfortable than pp’s?
ATfall7
This navy peplum top did not work out for me, but I wanted to mention it for any longer-torso’d readers. As is, the waistline falls a few inches below my natural waist (I have it belted up in these photos), and would look better on someone taller. I am also trying on one size up (XSP) from my normal size, so the intended style may be more fitted. The material is a comfy lightweight ponte that does not wrinkle easily.
ATfall1ATfall4
Last but not least, I ordered this teal top recently as part of my silk blouse trials. The fit is blousy and I would remove the mid-sleeve button, but overall not a bad contender in the grand scheme of petite silk options. I actually ordered 3 different styles from Ann Taylor’s current line and took photos to review in a few days.
ATfall

ATfall5Readers – Have you tried on any of these pieces? Which combination here is your favorite?

For Daily Posts

72 Comments

1. Anonymous wrote:

I have this skirt and am wearing it with a black tank and cartigan. I also have red pumps on. My sister said the red doesn't work, but my coworker says it looks great.. What do you think of the red shoes with this skirt?

Posted 1.17.13 Reply
  2. Love all of these pieces – the colours are stunning!

Kate – petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

Posted 10.26.12 Reply
  3. Raven Hill wrote:

I have the ponte peplum top in black. The XSP fits well. I missed an op to buy it in blue during the recent sale. Not happy!

Posted 10.18.12 Reply
  4. Candice wrote:

Hi Jean! Loved all your outfits – #1 & #3 were my fav. I loved the peplum on you.

Posted 10.17.12 Reply
  5. Anonymous wrote:

Rubber soles or insets are not bad per se, anyways I often end up with using those sticky patches from Target on soles, o/w they are too slippery especially at the beginning on carpets in the office! But with your remark on quality I totally agree! It seems that cashmere gets a bit pricklier and leather a bit stiffer with each season 🙁 as retailers squeeze costs! As little as 10 years ago AT and BR used to have most of their shoes made in Italy and the quality would compare with some of the very expensive designer brands you would find in Nordstrom but at considerably lower price, but alas those days are long gone 🙁

Posted 10.15.12 Reply
  6. So glad you got one and like it! The avocado color is definitely unique and perfect for this season.

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  7. Thank you! You have me excited for pairings next spring now : )

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  8. I think it's too bad that retailers slowly cut quality over the years (noticing this in my J.Crew purchases too), but the rubber sole isn't an issue for me because the leather soles just got walked on anyways. Yes, I'd say the block heel is very comfortable and sturdy (for heels). Just wore them again and would recommend. They have a few other options in the same block heel style such as black suede, black lizard texture, etc.

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  9. Thank you, Sydney! I did look into altering it but it wasn't as easy as envisioned.

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  10. Thanks for the info! I haven't checked out LOFT's offerings in a few weeks.

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  11. Thank you! I got them at H&M.; THey offer different densities like 20, 40, 80..etc.

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  12. I agree, Bela – the pieces in the 2nd are my favorite too, individually and not together : )

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  13. Thank you! I work in financial services.

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  14. Thanks, Ginny! It's an old favorite Stilla bronzer which I use daily.

Posted 10.14.12 Reply
  15. I get them from H&M;! THey offer different levels of opacity like 20 den (stands for "density" i'm guessing), 40 den, etc. The ones here are 20 den and are a little long, but I keep the extra length scrunched up at the upper thighs.

16. Tracy wrote:

Great outfits. Where did you get the tights? Yours look great…I'm looking for durable tights that aren't completely opaque to wear with skirts in the fall. Mine always snag after the first couple wears 🙁

17. Michelle wrote:

Loving all the teals and blues on you, Jean! Loving the last look the best. 🙂

18. Love this skirt!
    Amazing blog dear, we should follow each other! Let me know what you think 🙂

Estarer Accessories GIVEAWAY

Check out my blog 🙂

19. Anonymous wrote:

I got the floral top and it is gorgeous. They are hard to find now so if you come across one in your size, buy it. You will not be sorry.

20. Ginny wrote:

Jean! What blush/bronzer is that? It looks fantastic!

Posted 10.13.12 Reply
  21. Ameenah A. wrote:

Love this post! You look elegant as always! xx

Posted 10.13.12 Reply
  22. Anonymous wrote:

You look lovely as always. What do you do at your job? Don't mine if I ask…

Posted 10.12.12 Reply

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?