Transitional Summer: Red Pants, Camel + Cap Toe Pumps

redcameldots4Ann Taylor refined cropped pants, DIY polka dot top, Target shoes, Chanel sunglasses

Whenever I find a pairing that works, I tend to get lazy and wear it on repeat. I loved the look of red pants with cap toes, and indulged in the same outfit twice this month. I can see myself wearing it more for transitioning into cooler fall days.

Some of you may remember these cheap Target heels, on which I Sharpie-d some black cap toes (inspired by the Corso Como quilted pumps). I also planned on finding matching beige paint to cover the stacked wooden heels, but lost motivation. These was meant to be a temporary fix while I hunted for a quality version, but who knew the right pair would be so hard to find? I’m hoping for leather pumps with: 3.5-4″ heels, almond or pointy toes, beige/camel base and same-colored heels, black cap toes, and preferably under $200. Please let me know if you come across such a pair!
redcameldots5

Below: Old favorite lace-print LOFT tee (similar, another lace-print option in petite for 75% off)

redlacetee3

redcameldots3 Looking at these photos, I realized that these pants look a bit baggy in the thighs. I hope that slight slimming in that area will improve the fit. Please refer to this post for more information on the fit and measurements of these pants. redcameldots I wanted to show a photo of this handbag worn with its adjustable strap (one of my favorite features). Only the small and medium sizes of this bag come with a strap, which was a huge deciding factor for me. This bag measures 14″ across, and I feel like it’s the biggest width I can handle on a structured bag without it overwhelming my 5-feet tall frame. That’s not to say I don’t have bags bigger than this (to fit my clunky, unwieldy laptop), but I recognize that bags wider than 14″ start to look like they want to eat me for dinner, especially from the side view. redcameldots2Readers – How do you determine when a bag is disproportionate to your frame? What is your cutoff size?

85 thoughts on “Transitional Summer: Red Pants, Camel + Cap Toe Pumps

• Elizabeth August 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

How did you sharpie those and they look so shiny? I would have thought that the sharpie would have a dull finish. Tell me more!

• Elizabeth August 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

• Malika August 19, 2012 at 2:47 am

Hey Jean ..your blog is amazing and very motivating…I found this website that had an article on bag styles for different body shapes..I think it may be helpful to a lot of readers..its called the thechicfashionista.com .

Jean I would like to start a fashion blog…and would appreciate some advice from you.

• Jamie August 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

I was surprised to see these shoes were DIY – gorgeous!!

The Blue Hour

• Mong August 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Hey love your site! Started following you via bloglovin. Can't wait to see more posts from you.

• Diane Huang August 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hey Jean-

I recently got the same Prada, inspired by you and my friend (I got it in grey).

I was wondering if you had the same problem as I… when the bag is filled (contents are heavy) the bag has a few vertical pinches stemming from the bottom of the bag.

Does yours do the same? Do u think I might need to get a base shaped? Like what a lot of people do with the Louis Vuitton Speedys?

• Anonymous August 19, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi Jean,
    I also got the Prada Tote bag without zippers..but I had to return it due to wrinkles/creases on top of the bag and inside as well…The back side is perfect but on the front with Prada logo , I noticed some creases…since it's an expensive bag I wanted to be perfect…so I had no choice to return it. How about your bag? did you notice any imperfections? and it would be great if you do a video on your new bag? btw, does yours have magnetic button to close it..it doesn't seem to have it…

• Sydney August 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I cannot believe you sharpied those pumps! That is seriously the best DIY project I have seen in a while.

• MB198 August 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

The Corso Como pumps are on Gilt for $69 for one more day!

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Same…those looked great! I've held out for so long for the other color combo, I will just wait a little longer ; )

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Thanks, Ladies! I saw them on Wendyslookbook a while back and they look great on her. At the risk of sounding too picky, I am holding out for a sturdier heel and a larger cap toe. Hope they work out for you, Lauren.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Dominique, I would suggest browsing around the Purse forum where ladies from around the world showcase their favorite purses and also post information and sales tips. That's been a great resource for me!

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Thanks, Ahmy! I've heard mixed reviews from that retailer and see returns are not accepted at all, which is a little scary.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Hi Tien – thank you for your comment! With my current workload, unfortunately there hasn't been any time to film videos like that which I'd like to plan out. I will definitely keep your request in mind, though!

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Hi Lindsay – I have not tried them, but yes they do look similar to a pair of cutout Louboutins I own.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hi Joan! I remember coming across this brand on Nordstrom's website once. The shoe you're saving up for look like a great choice and I hope they will become yours soon.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I was actually thinking of taking them up an inch : ) I think it's personal preference where ankle pants should hit, but I feel more comfortable when they actually hit above the ankle (especially while wearing flats during my commute). These pants I think are meant to be a little slimmer-fitting, so hopefully after alterations they will look more streamlined.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Thank you, Jennifer! They looked great on Wendy and I'm happy to hear the quality was good in-person. I debated over them for a while but decided to hold out for something with a sturdier heel and larger cap toe.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Hi Ying – Within a few feet, they definitely do not look like quality shoes (even before the Sharpie-ing, so you can only imagine afterwards). It was a fun project for me on shoes that I was about to donate, but I would've seriously advise this DIY idea to anyone using shoes that they care about.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hi Amanda – hmm, that's an unusual issue and I'm not sure if I have any useful advice. My back used to hurt at work in general from sitting around for long, long hours, but I adjusted the height that I sat at so that I didn't have to bend down at all to look at my laptop or computer screen. Sure that meant my chair was super low compared to my colleagues, but I haven't noticed any back pain lately.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hi Elizabeth – Maybe I just put on too many coats. I colored it in pretty vigorously.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Hi Diane, when I filled it up with a lot of stuff, I definitely noticed sagging. I read up on it online and it seems to be a common issue and women have suggested not filling it up with so much stuff. I do plan on getting a base shaper (I looked it up on TPF search and there was a site recommendation, which I no longer have bookmarked) just like the Speedy ones.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Hi there – I ordered the one shown as well as the one without zippers just to do a compare, and I seriously thought I got a defective one without zippers. The leather was so not smooth it looked like it could be a counterfeit. I think there are some quality control issues, which is very disappointing for a bag that price. The ones I see at the store on the display shelves never look like they have any issues, and I thought maybe the bag I received was used and stretched out. But no, I think it was just poor quality and didn't get caught during QC. I would actually suggest ordering again – and if you do so through Neiman Marcus, make sure to get the 10% off new customer coupon if you browse on Private Browsing or clear your cookies (if you're not a first time customer). Mine does not have a magnetic button because it has the double zippers.

• Kelly Yeh August 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm

oOo I just got a pair of red skinnies too =) love your sunglasses

<3 Kelly
    SavvySelections.blogspot.com

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) August 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm

OMG the sharpie LOL! I'm the same as you Jean – I wear outfits on repeat – probably way more often than I should hence the lack of outfit posts LOL!

Gah I just found this canvas tote that I loved online – I ordered it (no worries, free returns) and I could probably fit inside it hahaha!

• Anonymous August 21, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I know you want a pump but the Kate spade Kimmy is a beautiful cap toed shoe in taupe and black with a wedge heel. The heel is very slenderizing and not clunky. You should check them out.

• Anonymous August 22, 2012 at 7:02 am

I am quite a fan of these cap toed pumps 🙂

• Anonymous August 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

You might want to check out this cap-toe pump from Asos:

One problem is that they only carry full sizes. I wear a half size so I didn't even order them. Good luck in your search for the perfect shoe!

• Diane Huang August 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

I did it with a lid of a plastic storage bin that I had lying around. The cheap generic brands from Walmart work best BC they're thin enough to be cut with scissors. Then I just wrapped it with some fabric and stitched the corner into place. Takes all of 10 minutes and a few dollars. 🙂

<3 crafty Asian girl

• realnchicmom August 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

You might have seen it already but I love the Etta color block pumps from J.Crew.

• Anonymous August 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

What lipstick are you wearing? It's absolutely gorgeous on you! The pix where you're sitting, looks like it came from a magazine ad.

• Evelyn September 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hi Jean, I saw this shoe on Nordstrom's sale page, and thought of this post. Not sure if these fit the bill, or if there are still these sizes available in stores, but thought I'd send you the link in case it was helpful!

• Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane January 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hi Jean, not sure if you're still looking for the shoe caps but I found some here for £94 on sale! http://www.selfridges.com/en/Womenswear/Categories/SALE/Shoes/Bruton-leather-courts_524-10018-110BRUTONCLOSEDCOURTS/?previewAttribute=Taupe

LK Bennet shoes 🙂

• Olyvia June 10, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Jean, when I saw these pumps at Kenneth Cole today, I remembered this post of yours. You may have lost interest in cap-toe pumps by now, but just in case you are still looking…. these fit your criteria nicely (and comes in size 5's too): http://www.kennethcole.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12572101&cp;=3075218.3075225.3075256

• PetiteAsianGirl June 11, 2013 at 1:22 am

Hi Olyvia – thank you (& the other ladies above who so kindly shared many great suggestions)! I love these Kenneth Cole options and will try to hunt them down at a Macy's or somewhere. I actually never knew the brand made size 5, so thanks again for sharing, on such an old post too!