Silk floral print dress 2 ways – for work and for a wedding

ellayellow

Before purchasing this dress on final sale, I had some doubts. Strapless pieces are historically not the most comfortable nor versatile items in my closet, but I was convinced to get my worth of wears out of this one. I wore it to work paired with a slim blazer and waist-accenting belt, and a simple necklace plus neutral pumps. If you never take your blazer off at work, you can even wear a non-strapless bra for full comfort throughout the day.
ellayellow1

Nordstrom rack faux-pearls (similar), H&M; neon heels (from last season)

For a party or special occasion, I would let the simple yet elegant silhouette shine, and just add some strappy heels and a necklace to fill in bare chest space. A neutral or cognac brown sandal would work fine, but I loved how these bright ones brought out the neon in the print. I look forward to wearing this outfit to a hot-weathered wedding later on.
ellayellow5

ellayellow2
ellayellow3
For almost every purchase I make these days, I have grown accustomed to making tiny tweaks at home in order to perfect the look. The dress, blazer, and shoes in this post all worked fine without alterations, but each underwent some adjustments that (in my opinion) really elevated the look or perfected the fit. I hope to share some behind-the-scenes photos for this post soon.

96 thoughts on “Silk floral print dress 2 ways – for work and for a wedding

• The Little Dust Princess July 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I like the yellow blazer with this dress. : ) The sleeves on that blazer look good! Is the length too short or just right after you removed the ruching? I hope you make a post about that soon! I have similar blazer from H&M; (black) that I'd like to un-ruch as well.

• lin July 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm

you look great in that dress. i love everything about the outfits. the colors, the springy-ness of the dress, your neon heels. the blazer looks so much better without the ruching. i like how you can switch up the dress for work and for parties. this inspires me to try wearing prints for work.

• jc July 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Gorgeous!

• Kathy | Elevated Style July 25, 2012 at 8:39 pm

The dress looks like it fits you perfectly! I love the look for parties! You will certainly stand out in that dress!

• dietingfashions July 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Very cute dress! I think the dress will get lots of wears. It's a flirty number for parties but can be dressed for work by adding simple pieces.

Helen

• casper+pearl July 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

gorgeous dress!

lots of love from the c&p; girls,
    xx

• octoberchic.com July 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Beautiful! I love it.

octoberchic.com

• SewPetiteGal July 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Firstly, Jean in the "wild" = love! Such a pretty backdrop! Secondly, would have never thought to pair with neon yellow, but you make it work so effortlessly. Thirdly, loving how you're doing a work vs. play option for each featured garment – very helpful!

• Joy July 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm

This is a perfect summer outfit. I wish people at my office liked dressing up like you, so I wouldn't feel out of place if I wear a skirt or dress.
    Oh & I see that your dress has pockets. yay!

• Jackie July 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Very summery! Looks good!

• Sora July 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

You look especially gorgeous in the "For Parties" pic. And the neon shoes complete the look for this summer.

• Olyvia July 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I love the yellow blazer! I need to hit H&M; to see if they still have that in store 🙂

• Sunnymeliss July 26, 2012 at 12:29 am

I never thought of wearing a dress dress to work, but it works so well with a blazer!

• Kelly Yeh July 26, 2012 at 2:49 am

love the floral dress and yellow blazer! def. following =)

<3 Kelly
    SavvySelections.blogspot.com

• Tien / TstyledMe July 26, 2012 at 7:25 am

I really like your work look in this post – it's great to see colour in the office and it encourages others to dress up too!

Tien xo

• myhanh July 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Jean, you are glowing in that first photo!

• Cassidy Short July 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

that yellow blazer is amazing!!

xoxo
    Cassidy

• jeweliette23.com July 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I've become accustomed to buying tops and dresses that will be versatile for work and other occasions. Get more bang for your buck!

• louis July 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Love this with the yellow blazer! You look fantastic!!

• phiphis blog July 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I love the choices you present for day and night. The dress is amazing on you and I love how you played up the yellows in the dress. Xox P

• Mary Ann July 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I think I forgot to write earlier that I love this dress – so glad you're keeping it! 😉

• My Dressy Ways July 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

I love this dress on you! I avoid strapless and tube tops and dresses because I just don' think they're very flattering. Plus, I hate having to adjust constantly throughout the day! I've found a few styles that have additions to them like rubber to help hold it up and a built in shelf for added support help too.

• Anonymous July 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I love this jacket especially in yellow, everything you wear with looks better. I bought the black one also. But I prefer it with the original sleeves

• Ira Kharchenko July 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm

The dress is awesome! I love it:)

• kerker July 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm

i love your floral dress!! sooo pretty!!

• Anna D Kart July 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

Love that dress unfortunately it was too expensive at the time…
    You make it work well!

happymedley.blogspot.com

• Miss Sultana July 28, 2012 at 11:42 pm

i love this! you have amazing style. cute blog girl 🙂

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thank you! It's a very old one that I should probably throw away but I love it too much…Clinique soft bloom soft shine (discontinued)

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Thank you! My prom dresses were all made from scratch and I think they were a sign that my future does not lie in fashion design ; )

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I took a class when I was a young teen…I'd recommend a beginners class to anyone seriously interested in learning.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Hi there – I have a post in the workings after my last monthly spending post http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/05/spring-wardrobe-shopping-spending.html but as a monthly rate, that is deceptively low because I usually a few planned bag or shoe splurges each year.

I don't have a monthly budget but I do keep an annual cap at 10% of post tax, post retirement contribution income.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Janki! You've been such a longtime reader…I remember setting that as a goal in Jan 2011, and since then, a few specific accessories have certainly popped out as worthy, versatile purchases.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thank you, Alice! Yes it has pockets and is surprisingly versatile…worth the shipping price in my opinion, for a $24 dress.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Thanks! This was mixed at a local salon, but the one I usually get that is super similar in color is Essie Turquoise and Caicos : )

• Closet Full of Nothing July 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I love how versatile this dress is. It looks amazing with the yellow jacket!
    xo,
    Carolina

• VieLondon July 31, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Love this blazer on you, such a great piece for summer! Elegant styling as always <3

• Riani Irawan August 2, 2012 at 2:17 am

I love the way your hair looks at the first picture.

• lisacng August 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Love the dress with those neon sandals

• itisjustme K August 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I love how you style the dress with the yellow blazer, which I love, but I can't seem to find it anywhere 🙁 Anyways, I adore your blog and look forward to your posts.

• Anonymous August 10, 2012 at 12:44 am

Haha, I know that feeling too! : ) Do you happen to remember what shade you have on, it's really pretty.

• what.jess.wore August 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Love this outfit particularly the work version with the delicate necklace. 🙂 It's so cheery.

• Anonymous August 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I love this dress and blazer! Looks so stylish. Is this an HM blazer from new collection? I saw a yellow one in the store, but it had gathered seams along the sleeves.. It looks like you have regular sleeves – did you alter your blazer or it is just a different model? thank you!

• Anonymous September 11, 2012 at 2:27 am

Dang, I wish I went to parties classy enough where an outfit like that wouldn't look horribly out of place! Really dig the peals an neon pumps, it's an interesting combination of trendy and classic styles- that's something that can be tricky to pull off, so nice job there!

• hermes bag outlet December 4, 2012 at 1:36 am

The discount swiss rolex enhance a woman's style quotient and their pricing comfortably fits into the catier jewellery budget. They being so low priced, people tend to buy more than one mens jackets
    at a given time. With the hoped for designer miu miu hobo bags being available at such an easy price no coco chanel online one can actually stay away from them. Therefore, if you are contemplating about whether to purchase hermes bag outlet or not, then you should go for them without any delay and buy handbags at will. With the availability of varied color and sassy designer louis vuitton wallets and that too at a cheap price, women can get the omega speedmaster watches according to their preference without any issues related to price.

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 6:51 pm

It’s amazing in favor of me to have a website, which is valuable in support
    of my knowledge. thanks admin

My web page … article-club.info

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Your method of explaining the whole thing in this post
    is in fact pleasant, every one be capable of effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a
    lot.

Look into my site :: website