• Casual fall: Taupe and gingham at Boston Public Garden

taupe and gingham

Sole Society booties c/o, Coach court bag, Hermes belt

Recently I’ve been reaching for a lot of my older staple pieces to experiment with layering. The formula has been simple – lean silhouettes, neutrals, and accent prints or a pop of color for interest. For this weekend outfit I paired skinny jeans with leg-lengthening booties, plus a cardigan that’s so comfy it’s pretty much a blanket. The outfit felt a little monotone, so I added a gingham layer and colorful belt which made all the difference.
    taupe and gingham5
    I’ve gotten good feedback from several readers on Sole Society shoes, so was excited to collaborate with them again this season. They’re one of the few brands to offer extended sizing from 4 – 12, and most styles I’ve tried run on the narrower side plus about half a size small (so could potentially even fit ladies who need an elusive 3 – 3.5). The Lylee booties I picked out here add 3″ of height but with plenty of stability, and the suede feels sturdy and of good quality.
    Taupe and gingham2
    Fit wise, true to the online reviews, I found the Lylee style to run at least half a size small and narrow. I’d recommend going up half a size if you plan on mostly wearing thin socks or tights with these, or possibly a full size if you want to wear cotton socks. The ankle opening of my sz 5.5 pair measured 4 and 3/8″ across and I’d expect that to be wider incrementally with sizing. The style is slip-on and there are wide elastic panels on each side to facilitate that. I’m wearing the “army dark brown” color and think the “smoke taupe” may be very similar, but lighter with a hint of grey.
    Taupe and gingham3 Our home is now just a short walk away from Boston’s Public Garden, where Nick and I love strolling for a bit of peace and quiet on weekend mornings. It’s the perfect place to sit and enjoy a cup of tea before families and tourists start flowing in (circa 10AM). For a special treat, we also love packing banh mi sandwiches and some Vitasoy for munching under the trees while the weather is still nice! The day we snapped these photos, I wore these booties for about a mile of strolling around the garden and they were comfortable with no breaking-in required. Taupe and gingham 3I’ve mentioned this casual Bobeau cardigan (wearing the “mink” color) a few times now but haven’t had the chance to take photos since it’s been glued to my office chair. It’s smooth on the outside and soft and cozy on the inside – the perfect chic upgrade for those fuzzy zip up fleeces we loved in middle school. The fit was surprisingly perfect off the rack, narrow in the shoulders and slim in the sleeves, but with plenty of drape in the front. I tried both XXS and XS petite and went with the former because I like my sleeves to be narrow. Both sizes fit fine, though, so I’d recommend sizing up if you’d like some room in the arms. Thank you to Sole Society for sponsoring this post!

77 thoughts on “Casual fall: Taupe and gingham at Boston Public Garden

• Visceral Maze September 30, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I just featured a new version of that bag on my last post. I love that bag. I remember you did how to clean or refurbish that bag a while back. I should find it and clean mine.

• Sasa Zoe September 30, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Love these boots! So comfy and chic<3

• Mei Fleming September 30, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Such a classic and chic fall outfit. Beautiful

• prudence yeo October 1, 2014 at 12:18 am

Love how you matched this outfit with a red belt to add a pop of colour to the entire look. Looking great!

• Elizabeth October 1, 2014 at 12:21 am

Adorable outfit! I love the Hermes belt! That pop of color makes the outfit!!

• Olyvia October 1, 2014 at 12:36 am

Jean, you always have the most gorgeous hair! I'm also loving the cardigan…heading over to check it out 🙂

• Daisy @ Simplicity Relished October 1, 2014 at 1:26 am

I miss the public garden so much! These are beautiful photos and that is one great outfit– as always:)

Daisy | Simplicity Relished

• DSK Steph October 1, 2014 at 1:32 am

I have that cardigan! 🙂 I really love seeing how you styled it! You look great, as always Jean!

• Happiness at Mid Life October 1, 2014 at 1:44 am

This is such a great cardigan! I do love all the shoes I've purchased from Sole Society – I've been really impressed with their quality.

P.S. I host a weekly TBT Fashion link up and hope you will join me.

Alice

• Nia October 1, 2014 at 1:56 am

Hi Jean,

I have lurked long enough –

You are so incredibly stylish. I just wanted to thank you for showing how to make clothes work for very petite ladies. You make it look effortless. Well done!

• Anonymous October 1, 2014 at 2:06 am

Hi Jean! Are the wash of your jeans the same as the one you have linked above?

Thank you!

• Stacey Kim October 1, 2014 at 2:14 am

I also purchased that Bobeau cardigan during Nordstrom's sale and love the look and feel. Great styling tips! I'm getting that Ann Taylor Sweater Jacket you referred to a couple posts ago as well as the Cape coat on Thursday and I said I'd get you a picture for fit reference. Is your sponsor e-mail account acceptable to send those photos to or do you prefer another address? Thanks for the post! You are gorgeous. 🙂

• Leah Benedict October 1, 2014 at 2:24 am

I'm not a huge online shopper, but I fell in love with your cardigan and ordered it right after I saw this post! I'm so excited to wear it! I'm also interested to see how the petite length works on my 5'1" frame. 🙂

• Anonymous October 1, 2014 at 3:55 am

I just wanted to say thank you, and love your blog!

• Sweets &amp; Style October 1, 2014 at 5:33 am

I just adore those boots and the Hermés belt! Stunning way to add a pop of color!
      XX
      Miri

• Živilė Dap October 1, 2014 at 6:28 am

Love your style, you're one of the biggest inspirations of mine!
      xx

• Satu October 1, 2014 at 6:34 am

I love this outfit, it looks so pretty and everything is so well put together 🙂

Satu

• Angela October 1, 2014 at 6:59 am

Really cute! I love those boots.

• Linda Quinones October 1, 2014 at 8:30 am

This is just too perfect for words! I need that cardigan in my life ASAP! The only struggle is figuring out which color to buy because they are so many and they are just so gorgeous. I love how you styled it, especially with those booties. The perfect fall outfit.

• Col October 1, 2014 at 10:17 am

Bought that cardigan on your recommendation. It's glued to my office chair too! Perfect for wearing or draping over bare legs when the a/c goes into overdrive. Contemplating Sole Society pumps from Nordstrom (though my feet are not petite, lol!).

• Julie October 1, 2014 at 10:36 am

Cute fall outfit! Love the booties and the bright accessories.

Style by Joules

• Amy N. October 1, 2014 at 11:01 am

This is one of my favorite color combinations for fall! Love those suede ankle boots too.
      I'm now considering buying the cardigan – I worry about something so drapey on my petite frame, but you showed me how well it can work 🙂

Amy
      Stylish on a Shoestring

• Anonymous October 1, 2014 at 11:42 am

Hello Jean, you always create the most amazing outfit and always look so elegant. I bought the black lace top Piperlime (the one you recommended in the summer). I love how it has sleeves and not sleeveless, so very work appropriate and you don't have to wear a cardigan over it at work. I wonder how it fits you because it's too roomy on me. I also wear XXSP in Loft and BR clothing.

• Anonymous October 1, 2014 at 11:45 am

Jean, since you have worn both the BB Trolley ankle boots and these Sole society ankle boots, which one is more comfortable for walking or standing for a few hours ? thanks Jean

• Lauren October 1, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Can't tell you how many times I've followed your recommendations and ended up loving items I would have never otherwise come across. Definitely adding this cardigan to the list! Thank you for such detailed and thoughtful reviews 🙂

• Anonymous October 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Jean, thank you for recommending the Anneke stud pumps this summer. I am not great at walking in wobbly heels and it's hard to find low shoes that don't look too old fashioned. I'll have to check out their boots now

• Sarah @ Savoring Spoon October 1, 2014 at 12:56 pm

That cardigan looks so soft and comfy I can just imagine drinking my hot chocolate this Christmas and eating peppermint flavored cookies in it. Thanks for the share, I just ordered it from nordstrom 🙂

Also PS I think you may be my style twin and I am so glad I found your blog. I love reading your posts 🙂

• MC October 1, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Love the boots. Cant decide between what you have and taupe.

• Alysa October 1, 2014 at 2:11 pm

love the bootie, love your blog! : )
      xo
      alysadaily.blogspot.com

• Ctine October 1, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Love gingham no matter the season!

Christine

• PS Lily Boutique October 1, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Cute fall look! Love the boots 🙂

xx,
      Lily
      pslilyboutique.com

• Anonymous October 1, 2014 at 9:52 pm

How funny… I ordered that cardigan a few days ago for double use as a cardigan and nursing cover-up. So excited to see how great it looks on you — not at all "mom" and totally chic!

• Trini October 1, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Hi Jean, what kind of camera and lens do you use to take these photos. Your photos are beautiful!

• Kayla October 1, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Hi Jean! I noticed in one of you photos that you tied your crossbody strp in some sort of knot. It is cute way to shroten those straps! Would you mind sharing how you did that? I have a crossbody that is too long even on the shortest "belt hole". I haven't figured out the best way to shorten it since it is a thicker leather material. Your method looks like a great option!

• Jessica October 1, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Any thoughts?

• J October 1, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I love this outfit. You're so beautiful! I love reading your blog

• Julia October 2, 2014 at 12:10 am

I've been looking at this cardigan for a long while (pretty much since the anniversary sale!) and couldn't make up my mind about it. after seeing it on you, i totally want it now! and it's 30% off 🙂

• tellmeyblog.com October 2, 2014 at 12:15 am

Love this colour combo, and those booties look very comfy!

xx
      Yvonne

• Dr Elin October 2, 2014 at 2:03 am

Love this outfit! I notice that some of the (very) few negative reviews of the cardigan say that the fabric is cheap looking and starts to pill. Do you (or any of the blog readers) find this to be true? Also, I am size 6 at H&M; (live in Sweden), 5'3 height. Any size suggestions? S Petite? M Petite?

• xoyaoyao October 2, 2014 at 4:03 am

I really wanted to buy those shoes!!! But I can't 🙁 They only ship to US & Canada.

xoyaoyao.wordpress.com