• Spring wedding wear: floral +gold at the Boston Harbor

ted baker floral dress

Me: Ted Baker dress (past season – similar here or here), Kate Spade pumps (similar on sale)
    Nick: Theory suit, H&M; shirt, Zara tie, Cole Haan shoes

We snapped these photos during our friends’ beautiful wedding at the Boston harbor hotel. The weather was breezy with sailboats and yachts alike floating around the harbor (unfortunately invisible in the white mass behind us) – made for a perfect backdrop while sipping on chowder and munching on mini lobster rolls!
    ted baker floral dress1
    I bought this “Torella / Fourtys Bloom” dress at the end of winter and unfortunately could not find it left anywhere at the time to share about. Ted Baker does have some gorgeous printed dresses out again this season, in similar flattering silhouettes. Since their line is designed for regular-height ladies, I had my tailor perform the same alteration (raising by the shoulders) that was done for my TB dress in this post. This dress is intended to be shorter, but I couldn’t bear to trim off any of the vibrant floral print!ted baker floral dress4
    A few snapshots of my gorgeous friends on their special day!liz wedding

Their photographer had a stream of photos taken earlier in the evening playing on slide shows during the reception. Their assistant was editing them pretty much live so that guests could enjoy, which I thought was pretty neat! I’ve had other friends wait weeks if not over a year for their wedding photos…liz wedding1Below – this belt was a little long despite the one-loop tuck, but a pretzel knot did the trick.

ted baker floral dress2
    I am surprised to report that these KS Licorice pumps (with a heel cushion inside to prevent ankle chafing) lasted a full 10 hours…given, a portion of that time was spent sitting but there was cobblestone walks and dancing aplenty! I wish they’d make this color again as I know several of you were interested in the darker bronze. A reader did kindly share that she found these Ivanka Trump pumps (in gold leather, on sale) to be one of the more similar options available.
    ted baker floral dress3

56 thoughts on “Spring wedding wear: floral +gold at the Boston Harbor

• Happiness at Mid Life June 6, 2014 at 1:39 am

This dress is stunning on you. And you are such a darling couple!

Alice

• Anonymous June 6, 2014 at 1:44 am

You look so pretty!Lovely dress..Looking for a floral dress these days..but something more casual and with a lower price tag 🙂

Shenu

• Mei Fleming June 6, 2014 at 2:31 am

Beautiful floral print! And this metallic copper is such a perfect complement.

• Mirtandriela June 6, 2014 at 3:12 am

You´re both so sweet:) love that dress!

• Dressed with soul June 6, 2014 at 3:21 am

Your dress is perfection – not only for a wedding! Further it has the perfect length <3
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Mwanaidi Nuhu June 6, 2014 at 3:53 am
    • styril June 6, 2014 at 4:13 am

You guys look so cute together! And love the print of the floral dress. 🙂

• imthesuperstar June 6, 2014 at 4:47 am

You are soooo beautiful! Love your blog!

• TaraMixandMatch June 6, 2014 at 7:22 am

The dress is gorgeous on you Jean!

• pumpkinmommy June 6, 2014 at 9:28 am

Were you looking for ideas for your own wedding? 😉 I think the length of the dress is just perfect. The dress comes with belt loops. Did it come with a belt or sash?

• Shira June 6, 2014 at 9:40 am

Maaaaaaaajor dress envy! So so gorgeous!

• sarahp June 6, 2014 at 9:42 am

Nice output as always and cute couple! How do you walk in these heels whole day? It seems your feet slipped off in the last photo and I have problem keeping heels on my feet. With every step the heel comes off and these are 2 and a half pump from Ann Taylor.

• Benedetta Catalano June 6, 2014 at 10:18 am

Such a beautiful couple!!!!!
      Be Happy with Fashion

• Julie June 6, 2014 at 10:23 am

That dress is stunning! It looks so classy for spring/summer. Love it!

Style by Joules

• Anonymous June 6, 2014 at 10:34 am

What a lovely dress and a cute picture of both of you 🙂 Ted Baker sizing is a bit big for petites. I just ordered a great blossom print dress, but had to return it (too difficult to make alterations). You must have a good tailor (<3). The lenght is perfect. Have nice summer days --Anu from Finland.

• Fayrouz June 6, 2014 at 11:27 am

LOVE the dress, and absolutely adore your pairing with metallic accents! I can't decide what's cuter, the outfit or the two of you as couple, honestly.
      Fayrouz

• Anonymous June 6, 2014 at 11:31 am

You two are so lovely together!

• Mallivan Olinger June 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

You guys are absolutely adorable! I love the looks on both of you. Can't wait to see your wedding pics!

• Elle Park June 6, 2014 at 1:29 pm

You both make such a beautiful couple! And I love both wedding ensembles – perfect as always! Hope you enjoyed the beautiful wedding! ^^

• fromacoffeeshop June 6, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I love it! Perfect dress for a wedding and I love that belt knot!

• Liz June 6, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Your dress is amazing! So is the picture of the happy couple outside with the big American flag flowing in the wind. Gorgeous shot. They must have had an amazing photographer.

• Joyce June 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

It's officially wedding season! Love seeing your wedding outfits!

• Anonymous June 6, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I agree – you and Nick look absolutely gorgeous in the first picture! I also can't wait to see your wedding pictures.

• Mary Ann June 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm

You look beee-uuu-tiful, Jean! And Nick is quite the dapper gentleman, as well. 😉 PS – Happy Engagement!

• A Golden Tulip June 6, 2014 at 4:12 pm

You both look adorable together…and you look is gorgeous..love that dress adn those shoes obv..

xo

• stefy81fashion June 6, 2014 at 4:56 pm
    • Ella Pretty Blog June 6, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Such a beautiful dress for attending a wedding – love the print and feminine shape <3

• SE June 6, 2014 at 6:03 pm

What a good-looking couple you guys are! Love that dress- just perfect for a wedding!

• Abby June 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm

You have to be the most beautiful couple in Boston. You both look impeccable and I'm glad to see you and Nick both smiling together.

Bronze special occasion shoes are definitely the best. I hope they never become super trendy and ruin it, though.

• andrea June 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Such a beautiful outfit! I cannot wait to see how your wedding planning progresses!

xoxo,
      Andrea

• A Petite Treat June 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Beautiful dress Jean.

Jenn
      A Petite Treat

• Miss Hot Couture June 7, 2014 at 1:07 am

Very beautiful dress and couple as well!

Cheresa

• Suzie Q June 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Beautiful floral dress! it's perfect wedding attire! The length seems to be perfect regardless of you not trimming any of the hem!

xoxo,
      Suzie Q

• Anonymous June 7, 2014 at 11:37 pm

That dress is gorgeous on you, it's the perfect spring print. Jean, will you please do a post on your favorite footwear. Footwear can get especially spendy. Which heels are your most comfortable (relatively speaking of course) in the 3 and 4 inch heights? Any suggestions on which designer i should invest in for classic addition to my wardrobe? thank you in advance!! I love your blog.

• Tanya June 8, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Beautiful dress! I love the new site design!

• rodelma lopez June 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm

the vibrant flower print makes the dress beautiful on you…at first I thought its your prenuptial photo funny

• Franziska June 8, 2014 at 10:24 pm

THE PRETZEL KNOT. so smart. how did I not think of that earlier?

you two look gorgeous as always. I like that you didn't cut the dress shorter – it looks perfect at the length for the venue!

• Anonymous June 9, 2014 at 1:56 am

Jean, so sorry to ask you a question about a different outfit on this blog post but can you please tell me if you altered the Banana Republic Sloan Petite pants that you wore with your Old Navy blazer? And what size did you purchase? I can't decide if I should get 00 or just 0. (Old Navy is all out of the Petite XS for the blazer online :- ( )

• Anna June 9, 2014 at 9:58 am

Hi Jean, I am curious about your experience with hair cuts/ coloring. I know you have done a few videos about how you style your hair, but do you do anything special with your hair color? Lovely post!

• Jenny @ Prim New Englander June 9, 2014 at 10:36 am

That Ted Baker dress is so BEAUTIFUL, Jean! You seriously rocked that thing… Also, I absolutely love the BHH. My H and I have been to a number of weddings there and have always enjoyed our time there as guests!

Jenny

• Anonymous June 9, 2014 at 2:32 pm

LOVE this dress long on you!

• Giovanna June 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Such a cute look! Loving that print on your dress! Looks like such a fun wedding! That flag photo is amaze!

xx
      Giovanna

• Anonymous June 9, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Hi! Beautiful dress, Jean. I'm thinking of doing the same kind of alteration on a dress. Does your tailor lower the neckline too? If not, wouldn't the neckline be too high if only the shoulders are raised? Hope you can answer this before my diy attempt. Thanks!

• Jean June 10, 2014 at 1:20 am

I'm always on the lookout for ideas! It came with a thin pink belt which is lovely but I replaced it for something with more contrast : )

• Jean June 10, 2014 at 1:21 am

Hmm…have you tried going down half a size or using either ball of foot or back of heel inserts? I have half-inserts in here, since I had to go up half a size to prevent pinching in the pointier toes.

• Jean June 10, 2014 at 1:24 am

Hi there – I think J.Crew has some of the best quality leather shoes for the price (during one of their slightly more rare 25% off or more sales). Ann Taylor doesn't make shoes like their previous quality anymore, but their shoes often go down to $70 or less and are not bad (plus they are comfy) for leather shoes at that price. I think Manolo Blahnik BB pumps are less comfortable for prolonged wear due to the height and pointiness but I think they are gorgeous, classic-shaped heels for more special occasions.

• Jean June 10, 2014 at 1:26 am

Hi there! I bought 00 petite and will warn that they do shrink if you decide to machine wash them (I would recommend keeping out of the machine dryer unless you're prepared for a whole size of shrinkage). And bummer about no more petite sizing on the jacket…but since they brought it back this season I'm hoping they will do so again! If you're 5'1" or taller tho, I'd suggest using the store locator button and maybe trying one on in store in regular sizing – it runs short and small.

• Jean June 10, 2014 at 1:26 am

Hi Anna! I haven't colored my hair in several years…I think whatever color shows is just due to sun or changing lighting.

• Jean June 10, 2014 at 1:28 am

Hi there – yes the neckline being too high is definitely a concern with this type of alteration. I usually check before purchasing on whether or not the neckline will be too tight after the shoulders are lifted in place. My tailor actually has lowered the neckline for several of my more recent dress alterations but cutting the hole deeper from the inside, which I didn't realize was relatively "easy" for him to do. Good luck with your DIY attempt!

• Anonymous June 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thanks so much, Jean!!

I am truly amazed by your taste and know-how of how quality pieces should look and exactly what kind of alterations a garment needs…if I become a millionaire and offered you a great salary, would be become my personal shopper and stylist :- P??