• The DVF wrap dress

DVF ikat dress1

DVF New Julian silk dress c/o, Yoox Nana heels (old), clutch from the Philippines

With the spectacular weather we’ve been having, I wasted no time in breaking out this vibrant little number. I’m partnering with DVF for a few posts this season, to share some of her pieces that work beautifully on various body types. As a sale note, their friends & family event ends today 4/13 – take 25% off most items site-wide using code SPRING25. For a piece that can be worn for years to come, my pick is the iconic silk jersey wrap dress in a fresh blue (choices include a petite-friendly 19″ skirt and a 23″ skirt), or in their signature chain print.
    DVF ikat dress3
    While doing research on the wrap dress, I stumbled upon a tidbit of history that was interesting, especially to someone who has attempted sewing for quite a while now. When DVF first introduced it in 1973, shoppers could either buy the dresses in stores or recreate them at home. She sold her dress patterns through Vogue’s Very Easy line (ironic, as sewing with knits sounds anything but easy to me) starting at $1, and her printed knits went by the yard via Cohama fabrics. The patterns showed possibilities in various lengths, with/without collars, and even reversible! Take a look at one of these vintage patterns below.
    I’d take this style and print here and now, 40 years later. Would just shorten the hem a tad.DVF vogue

Here’s another one – love this full-length stunner worn backwards below…what a silhouette! The dresses were met with success in the 70’s then re-introduced in 1997. Fast forwarding to today, their wrap dress is still made in a few core styles – the collarless “New Julian” which I’m wearing here, and the very similar but collared “New Jeanne.” The bottom of both styles has a slight flare and not a pencil silhouette. The wind must’ve been gusting in each of these photos, making the skirt appear more tapered than it is.
    DVF vogue2

I’m wearing a sz 0 here in the 23″ skirt length without any alterations. I want to note that the attached belt and belt hole fall about 2″ below my natural waist, typical of a regular-sized garment when on a shorter figure (for reference I am 5 feet tall). I will be re-attaching it and shifting the hole a little higher, which is an easy fix that also prevents neckline gaps.
    DVF ikat dress2Material of the wrap dresses is a cool and smooth 100% silk. I had to double-check the content tag as I don’t own any silk with this kind of stretch and weight (feels like a light to medium-weight knit jersey).

DVF ikat dress4 Here are two other styles I tried on while in-store:

dvf fitting room

Tallulah silk dress in jungle diamond, New Julian in chain link (collared version, which I prefer)

You can’t go wrong with the classic chain print – it was a tough call, but I ended up with the blue batik shown here that was the first to catch both Nick’s and my eye : )

Disclosure: This was a sponsored post. As always, opinions shared here are my own.

42 thoughts on “The DVF wrap dress

• Chrissabella April 13, 2014 at 9:48 am

I can't get enough of wrap dresses and I love your Julian dress, the colour mix is amazing!

chrissabella.blogspot.com

• Mei Fleming April 13, 2014 at 10:12 am

Love this dress so much. The print makes this dress look like a top and skirt pair.
      Such a fabulous stripe pattern and color on the bottom. And this fits you so perfectly

xo

• Dressed with soul April 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

I have to admit that I'm now a bit jealous because a DVF-Dress is on my wishlist since ages 🙂 You look absolutely beautiful <3

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• s April 13, 2014 at 12:33 pm

omg, i loved this post (i love your blog, and i love dvf. haha.)! i've been lusting after a DvF wrap dress for … a long time now. but even at 25% off, the price is too steep for me. sometimes ruelala has sales on dvf dresses, though.

also, question – are the wrap dresses true to size for other dvf dresses or do you have to size up/down?

thanks!

• Mercy Oyana April 13, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I LOVE the pattern on this dress! So bright and still sophisticated. I just bought my first wrap dress (not DVF) a few months ago and I finally get what everyone has been going crazy about. I'll have to check out this sale. =)

• Alison April 13, 2014 at 2:08 pm

LOVE it, but no can afford DVF, even at 25% off!

• Franziska April 13, 2014 at 2:17 pm

dang girl, you know you've done well when you receive c/o DVF dresses! They look amazing on you, and I can't wait to see more!

• nance April 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Perfect timing! I was just researching DVF wrap dresses and wondering how they fit petites. The dress looks amazing on you and glad to hear that a size 0 fit fairly well without alterations. I'm about the same height as you. Very tempting to splurge on a DVF! I may scour Ebay as well to see what's out there.

• sade April 13, 2014 at 3:56 pm

ditto @franzika but …. honestly, i don't think it fits as well as some of your other outfits. as another petite, i find the proportions are still too big & it would look better one size down. the print is lovely though.

• Anonymous April 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Just ordered the Jeanne! Will be my first DVF.

• Anonymous April 13, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Vogue still sells the iconic wrap dress pattern, albeit without the official DVF licensing (Vogue 8379). The skirt is flared, but is easily straightened. Silk jersey is spendy, though ($25+/yd at Mood). I know that you sew; Craftsy.com has just developed a beginner class called 'The Perfect Knit Wrap Dress" http://www.craftsy.com/class/the-perfect-wrap-knit-dress/3923?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-dum&_ctp=1
      I'd advise giving it a go, but start with an ITY knit; they're a lot less pricey and are quite easy to work with. TinaLou

• Anonymous April 13, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I love this! How is this dress washed?
      btw, I am selling vintage Salvatore Ferragamo Kitten Heel in size 5.5 if you're interested!

• Zhan na April 14, 2014 at 6:24 am

Wow, what a beautiful dress, love the prints and the colors, you look fantastic! <3 xoxo

• TaraMixandMatch April 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

This dress is amazing, I love the fun colors and print!

• Grace J April 14, 2014 at 9:43 am

I LOVE the dress you ended up choosing! Gorgeous color and the fit is great! FashionEdible

• Denise Kirsch April 14, 2014 at 9:58 am

Gosto demais desse estilo de vestido. Além de muito feminino e elegante, deixa o corpo bem definido! Lindo!
      Beijo querida e boa semana,
      Denise – dojeitode.blogspot.com

• Julie April 14, 2014 at 10:26 am

This is a great post! It's so interesting to see how things have changed over the years. And that dress is absolutely stunning. I love the colors!

Style by Joules

• Jane April 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

What an eye catching print! I have a DVF dress passed down from my mother and another I bought years ago. Both are in great shape and I love know they wont go out of style.

• jannyisms April 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I love the print of the bottom part of the dress!– it actually reminds me a lot of the Philippines, my grandmother there sewed a lot of her own dresses in using similarly vivid and fun fabric patterns. Can you do a post on the before and after of your simple alterations to this dress?

• Anna April 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Gorgeous dress and print on you!!

• Anonymous April 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Its a very nice dress but very expensive. Out of my price range even for once in a blue moon splurge!

• Suzie Q April 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

The wrap dress has become such a classic, iconic piece in fashion, so it's so cool learning about the historical tidbits that you provided! The prints and colors of your dress are great!

Suzie Q

• Jennifer Palumbo April 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I just looooove the DVF wrap dress. I wish I could justify buying it at this point in my life because I know I would wear it to death. Funny you just reviewed it because I was just looking into it the last week or so and was wondering how they would fit petite women since it doesn't come in "petite" sizes. Thanks for the review! Makes me love it even mroe1

• rodelma lopez April 15, 2014 at 4:27 am

its so beautiful, I always wonder how to pull them together, thanks for the info again its awesome

• Alia April 15, 2014 at 7:55 am

Nice Dresses. love the prints and the colors

• pumpkinmommy April 15, 2014 at 9:34 am

Please be sure to do a before/ after belt height alterations post about this dress. I'm curious how it will look on you with the slightly higher waist, especially given the different patterns.

• Berty Morales April 15, 2014 at 11:18 am

I love your dress. I am all about wrapped dresses. In my book they will never go out of style. Love the rest of the style listed on this blog.

• Jean April 15, 2014 at 11:26 am

Sure thing! Started taking photos…hope it's actually as simple as I expect : )

• Jean April 15, 2014 at 11:44 am

Hi s – the website says all the jersey jeanne / julian styles 'run small.' I am wearing 1-2 sizes up from what i usually take in American petites brands and it's not a snug fit but also not loose, so I would agree they run a little smaller than standard American sizing.

• Jean April 15, 2014 at 12:13 pm

TinaLou – how interesting! Thanks for sharing about this beginner class.

• Jean April 15, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Will do! It won't shift the patterns as I just plan on moving the strap and strap hole.

• Petitetomatoes April 16, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Amazing print selections!

• Anonymous April 18, 2014 at 2:33 pm

The duchess Kate Middleton wore the Patrice version of this dress…you've got royal taste, Jean! =D

• une vie à vivre April 22, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Oh I love wrap dress!!! How did you tie the belt??? Usually I tied them at the front… thanks!!!

• Lucy in the Sky May 4, 2014 at 10:50 pm

You absolutely made the right choice. I LOVE your dress!!! The fit is absolutely perfect and the print is gorgeous. Wish I was able to snag one for myself!

• Anonymous May 28, 2014 at 4:52 am

Jean, you absolutely beautiful!! I may be over doing it with the compliments, but I am speechless by your eye for detail, quality, and taste when it comes to selecting pieces!

• Anonymous June 30, 2015 at 12:14 am

Hello – I love this dress and am thinking about a New julian 2 in a different print. I know this is an older thread, but did you ever move the belt/hole and if so could you post a link to that alteration? Thanks so much – love your blog! I'm 5'1 and more hourglass shaped (32D) so things fit a bit differently than for you but there are so many great tips here. Thank you!

• PJ August 16, 2015 at 12:53 am

Hi! Long time, no posts… I know, I know. 😉 I just purchased my first classic DVF Julian wrap dress online from Nieman Marcus Last Call, and now I'm freaking out. I ordered a size 0, and I'm afraid it's going to be too small. I normally wear a 0P or XSP in Ann Taylor and Loft dresses, but I've always experienced that designer clothes run bigger. After reading reviews of DVF dresses, the consensus seems to be that they run 1 to 2 sizes smaller than what women normally wear. Did I just make a huge mistake, and should I call and try to change my order? I realize this is an older post, but I really need your help!! Could you please answer my comment as soon as is convenient for you? I would be extremely grateful. Thank you, not only for your help, but for your amazing and inspiring blog. You truly are an inspiration to petite women everywhere who want to look classy and stylish. Keep up your awesome work!

• PJ September 6, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hey, Jean, me again. I've gone a little overboard on DVF wrap dresses since I last commented and have a few I could sell if you have followers looking for a bargain. Let me know if you're interested.

• PJ September 6, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Check out DVF.com's sale. Still an investment at $200, but way better than 500.