A Flair for Fuchsia (at Boston’s Artists for Humanity)

{student artwork on display at AFH}

Today’s post with ASOS features a vibrant dress from their petites line, which comes in a few other colors and also regular sizing. In my experience, ASOS petites runs smaller than American brands and the proportions usually fit me well. It’s designed for women 5’3” and under, so fellow sub-5 footers may still need a hem (here I took the bottom up 2” by hand). Shipping and return shipping are free for all orders, making the shopping experience super convenient. I was drawn to the traditional pencil shape of this dress but with contemporary updates, like dolman sleeves and a draped open back. I styled it simply with neutral heels and a dual-textured clutch (smooth leather on one side, faux-pony hair on the other) in the same color family. Asos artists for humanity2As the backdrop for this post, I was asked to share one of my favorite places in the city. Boston is full of serene nature and beautiful historical sites – which I try to show every so often – so today I wanted to take you guys somewhere different. The Fort Point area is one of Boston’s up-and-coming neighborhoods. Many old industrial spaces have been converted into loft apartments and waterfront restaurants. But in addition to dining and real estate, a lot of these spaces have been used to foster innovation and the arts. Asos artists for humanity4One building that has sprung up in Fort Point is the Artists for Humanity (AFH) EpiCenter, where these photos were taken. AFH is a local non-profit whose mission is to provide underserved youth with the keys to self-sufficiency through the arts. Teens in their after-school or summer programs receive mentorship plus training, and earn hourly wages working on actual client projects. It’s a rare opportunity to hone business and creative skills at the same time. And the impact is evident in the numbers – although the vast majority of kids at AFH come from low-income households and under-performing schools, 90% earn their high school diploma on time, all of them plan to attend college, and over a third use wages earned through the program to support their families.
afh portraitsA self-portrait is the first creative assignment for students entering the program, and the above wall of paintings was my favorite section of the EpiCenter. The building itself bodes a commitment to environmental sustainability, and is the first Platinum LEED-certified structure in Boston. Huge windows let natural light flood all three floors – perfect since the space functions as part studio, classroom, gallery and special events venue (which helps sustain the non-profit). Asos artists for humanity5The studio floor is splashed with color and character, and student artwork for sale hangs along most walls. All week, this room is filled with rows of easels and creative minds abuzz. Asos artists for humanity3A note on this dress – I like the peekaboo triangular opening for special occasions, but it can be covered up with an undertank for work. Here I have an un-clasped bra secured via safety pins, but a few of my friends rave about the adhesive NuBra for garments like this (I tried a “for less” version on e Bay which unfortunately plopped right off like chicken cutlets!). The fit of this dress is snug at the waist, flowy up top, and not too fitted throughout the skirt. Material is 97% poly / 3% elastane, back center zipper, unlined and with a little stretch. For fit reference, measurements of a size 00P are: 12” across the waist, 16.5” across the hips, 39.5” original length (midi-style).

This post is sponsored by ASOS and ShopStyle. I hope you guys enjoyed the mini-tour at AFH!

53 thoughts on “A Flair for Fuchsia (at Boston’s Artists for Humanity)

• Anonymous November 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm

The art is the perfect backdrop for this vibrant dress! Lovely. 🙂

Also, would you mind sharing what that beautiful nail polish color is?

• Dressed with soul November 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Yes, the art caught also first my attention, especially because I have chosen at the beginning of this year often art as a background for my posts 🙂

You look so lovely and this dress and especially your shoes are perfect <3

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Life's too short...buy the shoes November 13, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love this Jean! You look amazing and the backdrop is perfect!

• Kasey November 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Love this outfit! The dress looks great on you and the color is so eye-catching! 🙂 I'm very interested to try out ASOS Petite now…

• Anonymous November 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Beautiful color on that dress! That first image would make a beautiful cover photo for your Facebook page!

• kimmy016 November 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Love the backdrop Jean and the color of the dress looks great on you!

• Le monde des petites November 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Lovely outfit, lovely pics!!! Love everything!
    The dress is gorgeous! Have always loved Asos Petites!!!

xoxo

Le monde des petites

• Lauren {Stylized Existence} November 13, 2013 at 2:41 pm

This is super stunning – love this unconventional backdrop for the post – would love to see more like this!

• Alma Affaires November 13, 2013 at 2:44 pm

That first photo is pretty fabulous, and so is that dress! 🙂
    Alma@closetedconsumption

• Cee November 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Jean, you've got mad hops, and in 4" heels?! I would've landed on my butt. Always love how you look in colors, and fuchsia is no different.

I had the same undergarment issue with my Malene B. dress (back opening + low arm hole openings = double whammy). I ended up buying this body suit to wear underneath. It took a little while to fiddle with the different strap combinations, but I transformed it into a one strap halter to wear with my dress and was pretty happy with the results. I want to say it might feel more comfortable on gals with shorter torsos because I don't think the material was meant to stretch as much as it did. For a few hours, the comfort wasn't any worse than wearing uncomfortable shoes, so I didn't mind it.

PS – So glad to see you didn't sell the Rockstuds!

• zozo November 13, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Very cool surprise on the back of that dress and love that happy first photo!

-zozo
    atelierzozo.com

• Fabulous Petite November 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm

i adore the first photo.The color looks amazing on you. This dress is a great work appropriate clothes or even a business dinner kinda.

xo
    Sam

• kileen valenzuela November 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm

This dress has gorgeous draping and I love the fuchsia color on you. Thanks for sharing this unique Boston location with us — perfect backdrop for these photos!

• Carol Li November 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I love your first photo. It's great to see you in motion!

• pumpkinmommy November 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm

How can you jump in those heels and live to blog about it???

Where does the necklace come from?

• Carolines Day November 13, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Lovely dress and backdrop, but my favorite part of the post was reading about the program for these high school students. What an amazing program that marries the arts with mentoring. Thanks for sharing!!

• TaraMixandMatch November 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm

This dress is stunning on you Jean, I love the color!

• Anonymous November 13, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Love that you featured this art space. So many kids don't have access to art due to lack of funding in schools, it is beyond sad.

Love the entire outfit and composition of this post. Top 5 of mine for sure !!

from nyc

• Plum Pretty Sugar November 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Oh how wonderful, both the outfit and this setting. Thank you for sharing!

• Suzie Q November 13, 2013 at 8:54 pm

ASOS is one of my favorite online places to shop at and I love looking through their Petite line. Such fun photos, the fuchsia attire matches the colorful art backdrop so well! I love how you featured a location that is so unique for fashion blogging but so thoughtful in the meaning of the place. Lovely! 🙂

Suzie Q

• Anonymous November 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm

the first picture of you jumping is fantastic! The color is to die for … but am i the only one that thinks that it looks too big .. borderline frumpy? *ducks* I know it's not a form fitting dress, but it looks a bit overwhelming on your frame! : (

• Bogi Kenney November 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Such a stunning, super ladylike dress!
    Bogi

• Julie November 13, 2013 at 11:51 pm

So gorgeous! Love the little details of the dress!

xx, julie
    //obsessed//

• Mei Fleming November 13, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Great pop of color! This dress is amazing and fits well!

NEW POST:: PURPLE HAZE

xoxo

• Happiness at Mid Life November 14, 2013 at 12:57 am

What a gorgeous dress on you! And those heels – you can't go wrong with them.

Alice

• Maggie Adofo November 14, 2013 at 1:14 am

The dress looks beautiful on you! 🙂 I love shopping from ASOS but I just wish they would improve the quality of the material they use for most of their clothes.

xo
    Maggie A
    LOVE MAVIN

• Yue Li November 14, 2013 at 2:05 am

Is it possible that you can let me know which size did you choose for this dress. THX!

• Anonymous November 14, 2013 at 2:29 am

I think I just found one of my holiday outfits! Will you share the maker of the necklace? Please and thank you!

• Anonymous November 14, 2013 at 6:59 am

Can I ask where your shoes are from?

• Zoe Rivera November 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

You look beautiful and the backdrop is perfect. The first photo is the best.

• Anonymous November 14, 2013 at 12:08 pm

lovely dress..

• Jackie November 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm

This is gorgeous! I just love art…and hanging out at galleries. This place would be fun to visit if I can make the drive.

And that color is amazing on you. I love how the dress picks up the same fuchsia in the artwork.

• Gigi Katz November 14, 2013 at 2:26 pm

love that dress and what a fantastic place to go to take photos! xx. gigi. http://www.gigikkitchen.com

• Iv November 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm

This is one of my favorite outfits! As everyone above said, the backdrop is so fun.

Re: the sticky bra, I got mine at Century 21 here in NYC . For those that don't know, it's a discount store that has everything from high end clothing to home furnishings on discount — sort of like a bigger TJMaxx/Marshall's. The brand, I believe, is NuBra (got rid of the packaging, whoops).

I like this one because it's fabric as opposed to the chicken cutlet that you speak of. The stickiness is REALLY sticky and a tad painful to peel off, but NOT anything like waxing! I've used the bra probably a dozen times and it's still qutie adhesive. The instructions say to lighting touch up with water to get it sticky again, but I haven't had to do that yet. Here is the link for the Nordstrom one: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstrom-intimates-ultra-light-nubra/3231585

But if you're in NYC, C21 had it for about $15.

• Dice November 14, 2013 at 5:29 pm

You look stunning, Jean!

• Anonymous November 14, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Shorter hem might improve the look.

• Anonymous November 15, 2013 at 9:44 am

from far away the dress looks great but in the third pic and the picture of the back, the dress looks almost baggy on you. not a fan of this particular style. i love the background and color of the dress though!

• Petitetomatoes November 15, 2013 at 4:30 pm

lovely dress and awesome pictures!

• Erin November 15, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Agree. I know batwing styles are supposed to be fuller on top but the bottom is not the right fit.

• Michma November 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Looks like your blog is famous At UCI, check out #2.
    Too bad it was put in a bad context in this article,
    I personally love your blog and find it very useful as a petite asian woman.