• Blazer for small frames – Aritzia’s Talula Shrunken Exeter jacket

Banana Republic Sloan Pants

Talula Shrunken Exeter blazer borrowed from Kelly, JACHS shirt, Ann Taylor belt c/o
    BR Sloan ankle pants (6 colors or windowpane print, 35% off w/ THANKYOU), Zara navy heels

Over the years, I keep hearing about how petite-friendly Talula brand blazers are. I eventually visited the NYC Aritzia store a while back and tried on their boyfriend blazer. It was very fitted on me, but I ultimately returned it for a number of reasons including the less-versatile longer style. Fast forward to earlier this month, my friend Kelly was visiting the East coast and lent me one of her “Shrunken” Exeter blazers (see the black on her) to play around with. I had been curious about this shorter version, and couldn’t believe how shrunken (true to its moniker) the fit was.
    Banana Republic Sloan Pants2
    Here I’m wearing Kelly’s blazer in a 00, which should work for ladies a size smaller than myself. It’s hard to find suiting and business formal wear in that size range, so I was pleased to see this offered in 5 basic colors. I felt the boyfriend style I previously tried on was a bit too casual for the office, but this one works well with pants or skirts.

On me, the shoulders of this jacket fit nicely, but the torso would show pulls if I tried to button it up (although since it’s a more casual juniors brand, it could be designed to be worn open). The jacket feels about half to one size smaller than their boyfriend blazer in the same size, and all-around smaller than H&M; sz 2 and Theory sz 00 blazers in my closet. I usually have to slim the sleeves on jackets, but these fit narrow with barely enough room to layer a long sleeved shirt underneath. The only alternation needed for me would be shortening the sleeves, but you can also wear them folded up to expose a pinstriped lining.

Measurements of this blazer in sz 00: 14″ across the shoulders, 14.75″ across the armpits, 13″ across waist, 22.5″ torso length, and 23″ long sleeves. The blazer sleeves here look crinkled because they are too long for me and are being pushed up, but should lay flat if they are altered to the right length. Material is a slightly stretchy 59% wool, 39% polyester, and 2% spandex. Kelly mentioned that if wrinkles in the fabric do form, they tend to “fall out” after the blazer is hung up.
    Banana Republic Sloan Pants side
    I picked up these BR sloan pants last month after trying the houndstooth version in store. The material is sturdy and comfortable and the color selection is great, but the fit is not perfect for my body type. I had planned on simply getting the waist taken in by my tailor, but after seeing some side and back view photos, realized the hips/butt, thigh, and back-of-knee areas are a bit saggy on me. I would recommend these pants for ladies who can better fill out those areas.
    Banana Republic Sloan Pants back
    These photos show the un-altered fit of the pants with the waist secured by a belt. After a second look, I also plan on tapering the leg opening (old tutorial) and possibly hemming the length to hit right above the ankles. I’d love to hear if anyone has shrunk the Sloan pants by machine washing & drying, or successfully corrected all-over sagging with alterations. Measurements of these pants in sz 00 petite: 14″ across the waist, 17″ across the hips, 7″ rise, and 26″ inseam.

PS – I picked up these pointy pumps per a recommendation by Crystalin. We had been chatting about the LOFT Petra pumps which were unfortunately not comfy for me, and these filled the void. The shape is just what I wanted with an interesting wine-colored sole, and they required no breaking in!

67 thoughts on “Blazer for small frames – Aritzia’s Talula Shrunken Exeter jacket

• Anne September 24, 2013 at 12:44 am

Hi Jean. Love this outfit on you! especially the colors, perfect for fall season.

I have a question regarding the burberry coat on this post. http://www.extrapetite.com/2009/11/ new-jacket-reveal-burberry-part-4_16.html

I recently spotted the same jacket at a consignment store and its size 2 and brand new on sale for approximately $500. do you mind sharing what size you got it in? also, what do you think about the price? is it worth the money? i rarely spend this much on a jacket, so this would be a huge splurge for me. looking forward to your respond. thank you! -A

• Petite Hues September 24, 2013 at 1:21 am

Hi Jean! I saw these navy pumps on your IG and was meaning to ask, how tall are they and if you would recommend them. Also, what are some tips you have when buying blazers, e.g., what areas should be the main concern as far as fit and what type of material would you recommend most?

– Christine

• Anonymous September 24, 2013 at 10:03 am

Love the color combination. I tried these pants on in many colors and sizes and lengths. They just don't fit me right. Sadly, I returned them all. I really wanted them to work.

• Daniela Litvin September 24, 2013 at 10:11 am

you look cute as always!!! Jean, any Boston area hair stylist that you recommend for Asian hair?

• Orange You Classy September 24, 2013 at 10:21 am

i love this preppy look! so stylish!

• kileen September 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

I love the green color of these pants! I have such a hard time finding pants that fit right do I'm hoping to try these on in store. *fingers crossed!*

• Le monde des petites September 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm

This blaze is gorgeous!! Love it!!!
      I also have a lot of difficulties finding a blazer that fits to me!!! (just finished to buy a tailor-made one recently!!!)

Love your outfit!!! The green color of your pants is very nice!!!

Le monde des petites

• Anonymous September 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Love the color of the pants but the fit, especially in the front crotch area, is really unflattering. Maybe this has gone away with the tailoring but I'd like to see a before and after picture if possible because I'm thinking of doing an alteration myself on a pair of pants that has a similar problem. Thanks.

• Franziska September 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm

This may be a really stupid question, but so tailors can take knees in? The knee part of my pants are always baggy!

• Ann September 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I need those shoes!

• Life's too short...buy the shoes September 24, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I love Talula blazers! I have both the longer and shrunken versions and wear them constantly! They really do have a great fit. This one looks amazing on you Jean and the whole outfit is soooo adorable! Love it!

• Bluechic Berry September 24, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Lovely outfit! 🙂 Thank you for great inspiration. Your blog is great!

• Anonymous September 24, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Love this outfit Jean!!! Now I wish I bought that pants from Banana. I just didn't know how to wear it. I think I might have to go back and get it. LOL

– Alex

• jan September 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hi Jean, I'm having the same fit issues as you with the Sloan pants. Planning on giving them a machine wash and dry this weekend to see if shrinking helps with the fit, I'll let you know how it turns out!

• Giovanna September 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Cute look! Loving those green trousers!

xx
      Giovanna

• pretty little things September 24, 2013 at 5:50 pm

that blazer fits you perfectly! xo

• Anonymous September 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Can you please let me know where I could get that same exact shirt? I was looking all over online and could not find it =(

• Laura September 24, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Love this look – it sort of reminds me of a school uniform, except it's WAY more stylish!

• Anonymous September 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I own several pairs of the BR Sloan ankle pants, and just to let you know, they do shrink just with dry cleaning! I would suggest cleaning the pants first before having them altered since mine all shrink in terms of all around size and length as well 🙂

• Unknown September 24, 2013 at 10:31 pm

HI Jean, love the blog and love this blazer! You mentioned that it was a bit small on you–would you consider getting the sz 0 if you were purchasing this or would you still get the sz 00? I just ask because I have very similar measurements to you and am considering ordering this. Thanks!

• Jen September 24, 2013 at 11:06 pm

The blazer looks great. Love the Zara pumps.

• Tia September 24, 2013 at 11:43 pm

That shirt is gorgeous with the plaid detail! Swooning as I type!
      xo Tia

• Ronald September 25, 2013 at 4:46 am

I found this site from your YouTube account and I have to say you play beautifully, why'd you stop 🙁 ?

Sabina

• Sabina Sabaitytė September 25, 2013 at 9:01 am

Hello! I saw your video on Wendys lookbook, and I thought you have a very nice sense of style. 🙂 I would like to ask you, would you be kind and show us how to wear these nice office pants with fall boots/heels? When I try to tuck my office pants into my fall heels it just looks so wrong, and when I try to wear pants over the boots, it looks even worse, because the pants are not very skinny. It would be really nice to see how you would style it. Thanks! 🙂

• Anonymous September 25, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hey–saw you on Wendy's Lookbook. Love your style…I don't know if you take requests but could you do a few office looks with the sleeveless blazer trend that I've been seeing?

• Sandy a la Mode September 25, 2013 at 11:24 am

love the color of those pants on you!!

xo,
      Sandy
      Sandy a la Mode

• Jill S September 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Loving the colors! And you're so pretty!

x J. from iatenoodlesforbreakfast.blogspot.com

• Anonymous September 25, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I've shrunk my sloan pants with machine washing, drying. Unfortunately completely by accident. Good luck!

• FASHION SNAG September 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Super cute look!

• Rosie September 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm

oh my gosh, what a fantastic youtube video you have with Wendy! I was blown away by how professional and polished it was — not to mention so helpful. You two are naturals on camera.

thanks for the outfit ideas!

• Jenny September 25, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Cute blazer! Have you ever tried getting the J.Crew Schoolboy Blazer altered? I got the new version in black, and it fits through the shoulders but is too loose everywhere else. The pockets overlap the side seams, so I didn't know if it would be tricky to have it taken in. Love your blog!

• Anonymous September 26, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Hi Jean! I have been "devouring" your blog for the past several days. I am actually reading every single post. The posts are informative and to the point. I think I understand now the concept of tailoring and fit. All thanks to you!
      I am happy you and Wendy made a video together. Something refreshing and fun. And you look and sound so happy in that video:)
      You are really inspiring me to start my own blog and if it happens, I will let you know 🙂
      And finally, I can't pass by and not say how beautiful you are!
      Fellow petite and fellow Asian,
      Elza

• Olivia J September 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Those pants look so cute on you, especially in the back. I always struggle with works pants not making my booty look like a mom butt. I've realized the more stretch in the pants, the better!

• Anonymous September 27, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Hi Jean- New follower to your blog and love it! I have re-examined my closet with a critical eye and gotten rid of stuff that don't fit properly and have also learned to re-style items that I love into new outfits with a belt and other accessories. It seems I can try to be fashionable and frugal by only purchasing things that I love and fit properly (or will fit with the help of some tailoring!). If you ever need anything from Aritzia, I'm happy to ship them to you from Canada =).
      Thanks and looking forward to more!
      YYCpetite

• Jean September 28, 2013 at 1:46 am

Hi Anne! In my honest opinion, if you don't usually splurge this much on a jacket, I would not recommend getting it. For your first few splurges I would suggest classic, versatile pieces that can be worn with almost everything for years to come, like a khaki or black basic trench or wool coat versus a trendier plaid coat. I got it in size 2 and had it altered extensively (for free, b/c I paid full price which was about $800-900) so I like the fact that it fits perfectly. I have found over the years that it's not nearly as versatile or easy to pair as my other coats.

• Jean September 28, 2013 at 1:48 am

Hi CHristine! I think blazer expert Kelly has answered this far better than I can: http://www.alterationsneeded.com/2012/02/how-to-find-a-blazer-jacket-that-fits.html

I love lightweight wool. Theory blazers rarely wrinkle on me over time, and the lightweight wool ones can be worn across all seasons. However my polyester ones from H&M; get just as much love, so I don't really discriminate as long as they don't end up looking like a wrinkled mess after a few hours.

• Jean September 28, 2013 at 1:48 am

Hi Daniela! Nice to see you on here off of IG : ) I go to Freddy at Zen Hair in Kenmore Square.

• Jean September 28, 2013 at 1:49 am

I haven't yet got these tailored because a few ladies have mentioned that they successfully shrunk these pants in the dryer (I definitely don't recommend doing this for certain materials, especially wool!) so I will give that a try first.

• Jean September 28, 2013 at 1:50 am

Not a stupid question at all and I think it depends on the tailor's skill for preserving the original cut. I don't have a tailor whom I can trust for all sorts of alterations, and can see the knees of my pants looking awkwardly snug or crooked if just that area were altered : /