Tutorial Preview: DIY A-Line Skirt w/ Pockets

equestrian print skirt

Ann Taylor blouse, DIY skirt (tutorial coming soon), J.Crew Factory belt, H&M; blazer
J.Crew Mona pumps (only cap toe colors left – use LOVEJCREW for 25% off $150+), Prada tote

A few weeks ago, I saw a swatch of fabric posted by the talented SewPetiteGal, and immediately caught equestrian print fever. A big thank you to my friend Ping (another DIY extraordinaire) who scored the last bits of the material for me at Fabrix for $3 / yard. I haven’t made clothes from scratch in years, and wanted to re-learn by starting as simple as possible. I know a proper zipper looks best on a skirt, but you can’t beat the ease of an elastic waistband. I’ve heard from many of you who are interested in trying sewing (or have already started lessons!), and thought this would be a great beginner’s project to share.
equestrian print skirt2
I’m not entirely pleased with the results or with this outfit, but one of the best things about sewing is that you can tweak everything to your own preferences and learn from mistakes. Self-notes for next time: try a heavier, less wrinkle-prone fabric, blind hem the bottom, and pair full skirts with more fitted tops. And eventually, attempt to learn zipper insertion. I’m already eying fun printed fabrics in more season-appropriate colors for skirt # 2.
equestrian print skirt1
Please check back next week for a tutorial on the basic process for this easy skirt, which you can tailor to any length or fullness, and of course use any fabric that you want. And for anyone who tried marking this DIY clutch, I’d absolutely love to see any photos of your creations via Facebook or Twitter!

56 thoughts on “Tutorial Preview: DIY A-Line Skirt w/ Pockets

• Jane March 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm

The skirt has a very youthful vibe which is different than your usual professional style. Love it!! Greetings from Toronto 🙂

• Suzie Q March 21, 2013 at 12:00 am

I love A-line skirts and this is such a fun print. Sounds like a great beginner's sewing project. Look forward to seeing your tutorial!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• sequins from life March 21, 2013 at 1:51 am

Very nice look

• Xuvious March 21, 2013 at 2:15 am

Love the skirt, it's so cute!!

xx
    xuvious.com

• Kaye March 21, 2013 at 2:16 am

I just tried my first skirt sewing project (it was an extensive alteration, not from scratch) and I can attest that zipper insertion is super easy – just watch a few youtube tutorials. So don't be afraid of that!

• andrea March 21, 2013 at 4:32 am

I've been wanting to learn how to sew for years…but I'm so intimidated! My boyfriend even got me a machine last year and all I've made are pillows. Can't wait to see your tutorial, and no way…this skirt looks perfect with that blouse!

xoxo,
    Andrea

• Rachelle March 21, 2013 at 5:39 am

Cannot wait for the diy, great skirt.

xo

• Spiffie March 21, 2013 at 10:21 am

You are so cute! Love your style!!

• Oby@Fashion.Art.Crafts-Etc March 21, 2013 at 10:37 am

This is so cute! You look great!

• ♥ Natalie March 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

Super lovely look! <3

• {EnLove With Life} March 21, 2013 at 10:51 am

You never cease to amaze me with your talent for sewing and alterations. I wish I had that gift! I always see amazing things at the thrift store that I am too overwhelmed to try and alter myself.

As always, this look is perfect! I wish we were in real life friends so I could borrow your wardrobe!

• Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

That belt is to die for!!! Is it still available in stores? I will be waiting patiently for your skirt tutorial!

• pretty little things March 21, 2013 at 11:11 am
  • lisacng @ expandng.com March 21, 2013 at 11:24 am

It's funny you find zipper intimidating (I, of course, do) but pockets are even more intimating, I think! I used to think that the blind stitch was so hard to do, but I googled a tutorial and am like ooooooh! Nice look with the green and blue, Jean!

• melissa rose March 21, 2013 at 11:57 am

haha don't be so hard on yourself! I think you did a great job, and the outfit looks great!

• Candice March 21, 2013 at 12:01 pm

This is a lovely skirt! I've been wanting to learn how to sew, but I'm so intimidated. I need to find a place to learn so I can make the DIY clutch and other DIYs.

• smith90 March 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

To make your fabric "heavier" and less wrinkle-prone – you could underline it with another fabric. Threads has a great article explaining it:

• Adelia March 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

It's so fun to make a skirt from scratch! I wish I can do it too. Just thinking of having sth unique that only you yourself have is alreadt so tempting. Haha!

• tasha March 21, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Your outfit is EVERYTHING. Literally in love with all the elements of this look. I am smitten with the J. Crew belt. Excited to see the DIY video

• FashionEdible March 21, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Very cute! Love the belt too!

• Ann Robie March 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Love your skirt!
    ***

• Kay @ Slightly 0bsessed March 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Love the pattern of the fabric – and score at only $3/yard! I've been amassing quite the collection of dress and skirt patterns and can't wait to start sewing something up!

• petitephd March 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

It's funny how you're so critical of your DIY and how you put this outfit together, but this is actually one of my fav looks by you! Love the print of the skirt and how well it goes with navy + camel colors. Absolutely stunning, you should be proud of yourself!

Oh and out of curiosity, how many inches is the length of the skirt? I'm looking to purchase some full A-lines online but am not sure what length I should be looking for in order for it to hit an inch or so above the knee.

• Stephanie Lam March 21, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Love the print on this dress!!!

-Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.com

• Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Jean. Long one follower here. I simply adore ur style and as much as I would like to do more dyi stuff I simply don't have the patience or talent to do it. I really miss when you used to post awesome deals and great fashion finds. If u can, can u please let us know what ur picks are and if u know of any sales? I live in a tiny New York apartment and id rather reserve my very limited closet space for quality yet affordable pieces. Thanks for hearing out and looking forward to more posts please! Ur style rocks.

• Laks March 21, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hi,
    first things first,I just love your blog and its amazing.. I have lot of skirts and would like to know how to choose tops for them..I see that you tuck the tops inside the skirts and i also would love to do the same but i dont as i have a belly 🙁 .. Could you help me please? Is there anything that i can wear which can hide my belly..

• lin March 21, 2013 at 5:00 pm

cute outfit, jean. i love your belt. i'm going to have to find me one of these.

• Sophie-Pearl March 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

stunning – you'd be surprised how easy it is to apply a zip. Try out a fly zip then go for an invisible (concealed zip 🙂

• chiara March 21, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I actually really like the outfit. The color pairing is really fresh.
    Can't wait for your tutorial: I have a sewing machine kindly gifted from mother in law, and I need to put it in use!

• Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 6:40 pm

It looks great. And I thought the loose blouse looked fine with the a-line. It's all a matter of style 🙂

• Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Hi Jean, I recently came across your blog, and have to admit, become addicted since! Which in itself is a new experience for me because I'm not very trendy or keen on fashion – although I do like to look neat, tidy and 'nice'.
    I must ask you a couple of things though:
    1. Where do you find the time to do all this?? I mean really! All the effort you put into your clothes, shopping for deals, DIY and taking and sorting through pics on top of everything else.. its remarkable and your dedication is very very admirable!
    2. Surely it gets cold in Boston.. ? I always see you so cheerful and bright in pics, not to mention bare legged! I live in London, and its grey, gloomy and rainy all the time. Not much chance of stepping out without 3 layers of clothes and thick fleece leggings.
    I'm just really curious! Keep up the good work!

• Petite-ish March 21, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Actually I love this outfit!

• newpetite March 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Agree with you about wearing a fitted top with the full skirt! two lose items end up swallowing the body. However, I love what you are wearing here. The blazer is streamlining your look here.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Thanks for the tip!

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Thank you! This skirt measures 19" long and for reference, I'm about 5 feet tall.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Hi there – Thanks so much for your feedback, and I miss finding and sharing deals as well! I took a new job last year and sadly don't get out of work often before my favorite stores close. I'll definitely try to incorporate some more posts of any good recommendations.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Hi Laks – Try high-waisted shapewear (ie. Spanx) that is focused on tummy control, and look for skirts that have wider, sturdier high waistbands to help hold that area in. Wider belts worn at the waist may also serve to visually cinch in that area.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Hi there!
    1) I think you can agree that it's possible to find time to do the things that we're each passionate about. I love the blogging community and either take photos occasional before work or on weekend mornings. I do my posts late around midnight, which unfortunately does result in less sleep than I'd like but makes for a good end to a work day : )
    2) The weather here sounds about the same as London, but whenever we have rare, unseasonably mild days I try to take a few outfit photos at once. My office is very warm, so my colleagues and I sometimes commute in tights but take them off once we get to work.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2013 at 12:19 am

Hi there – I'm sorry but it was an old purchase from last year!

• Anonymous March 22, 2013 at 1:04 am

Thank you! 😃You always recommend the best stuff. Congrats on new job and thanks got helping fledgling fashionistas like me.