• Suit Chronicles: Bargain $56 H&M Houndstooth

hmsuit

H&M; Houndstooth Blazer (item #083890, $49.95) and Belted Skirt (item #050425, $24.95)
    Ruffle-Front Shell: Ann Tayor (similar),  Purse: Chanel Small FlapShoes: Prada, thrifted
    Lipcolor: Rimmel Bordeaux (discontinued in stores?)

In my last Suit Chronicles – Tailoring Ann Taylor, I documented my experience whittling a regular-sized suit into a petite-friendly suit. In today’s post, I wanted to show how you can achieve semi-fashionable business formal without spending a small fortune. This suit (purchased with coupons), top (from the outlets), and shoes (bought pre-owned) together cost $94. Add in thrifted pearls, and that’s $99. We won’t mention the bag ; ) but I’ll be honest – there’s no wearing Chanel at my job anyways. Just large workhorse totes to schlep around heavy laptops!

hmsuit2
    I usually don’t browse H&M;’s work blazers, because the Theory outlet has unfortunately turned me into a fabric and tailoring snob. H&M; is a great starter suit brand for petite women because blazers are often cut cropped (also, a sz 2 fits very slim). But once you move into Theory territory, it’s hard to go back to wrinkly suits with imperfect lining and stitching. I picked up this skirt last month using a coupon, before realizing giddily that it coordinates with Kelly’s adorable jacket. If I didn’t read her thorough and compelling review a few days earlier, I would’ve missed out on a great little piece.
    hmsuit1
    H&M; sizing is regular, not petites, so the typical issues I face are sleeve length and total garment length…

This blazer was fortunately a good length for me, but the sleeves almost covered my thumb, and the skirt went past my knees. I’m a big stickler about skirt lengths (read my old post on finding your ideal length), so I hand- hemmed the skirt up 2.5 inches. Sleeve shortening is trickier due to lining and buttons (costs $25 at the tailors). I’m being cheap and lazy right now, and have them safety-pinned up.
    The original fit – longer sleeves and skirt length:
    hmsuittPicture 44

The back view is where you can kind of tell this is H&M; quality. The jacket typically looks good from the back as seen in this post – the pulling below across the back is probably just due to my sudden movements running away from Nick. The back of the skirt is where I usually see uneven fabric, wrinkles, and pulling due to quality issues.
    hmsuit3
    Nevertheless, for $56 total, I adore this suit. Quality is more than fair given the price, and I’ve gotten a ton of wear out of both pieces. The fabric just makes me feel “Fall,” plus it filled a menswear-style void in my closet. I’ll be showing a series of posts later on how I’ve remixed both pieces for work.
    hmsuit4

Readers – Did anyone else get this blazer or skirt? How do you style it?

87 thoughts on “Suit Chronicles: Bargain $56 H&M Houndstooth

• el.vi. November 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Wow that is an amazing suit for a starter suit. I still don't feel like spending $$ on good suits ( I seen a few theory blazers/pants!)..mostly because I am teacher so I don't really wear suits. Yet I would so wear your outfit for work! Gosh you have an amazzzing tailor!

• maggie November 2, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I love how you explain your choices behind each purchase every time you post, it helps me a lot when deciding whether or not I will be buying a certain piece or not! I've been eyeing that H&M; blazer (but it black) for a while, so next time I go, I will definitely have to try it on to see if I look good in it or not.

xx maggie

• xJOLE November 2, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Love the gray on gray! Doesn't look too monochromatic since there are different patterns and materials,

• Phuong November 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I bought the blazer and I love it for the fall! I haven't worn it as much as I want to, but hopefully that will change. I can't wait to see how you remixed the blazer!

• Julie Khuu November 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm

$75 suit, that's a steal honey! 9to5 chic and looking sexy to boot! That last shot of you is seriously sooooo stunning! MAD props to your photog babe!

xo-Julie
      Peace. Love. LOL!

• Michelle November 2, 2011 at 9:44 pm

The front buttons on the skirt are adorable!! That is a great deal for an entire outfit!

Thanks for sharing!

• C. November 2, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Totally agree with you on the Theory fabric and tailoring snob thing. I used to love H&M;, F21, and all those other super cheap stores for cute, trendy clothing. But unfortunately, they don't stand the test of time and they just look cheap. However, every once in a while you find a great piece and this suit looks amazing on you! Keeper 🙂

• The Little Dust Princess November 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm

It's a great menswear-inspired look! Very mature : ) I just purchased a full suit (but will be wearing the pieces separately) from H&M;, but it bothers me that I can't find it online!!

The skirt is pinkishhh with a black waistband..hard to describe. The pattern is reminiscent of the Isabel Marant Ritchi sweater : ) LOVE it!

• yuni.k November 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm

You are so darling in grey! I love it. Esp the color of that AT ruffle shell. And that skirt makes you look fabulous in back!

• Jen November 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Wow, great suit. I love the little elbow patches. <3

xoxo

• Megan November 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm

AMAZING for the price!! I think a trip to H&M; is in order!! 🙂 thanks for sharing!!!

• Vonnie November 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I'm so glad I found this blog. I have such issues finding things that are well fitting. I always have to hem when I get home!

I adore that suit, especially with the shirt and accessories that you chose. I wish I had the ability to wear things like that to work. One day!

• Ping November 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm

looks great jean! i didnt think i'd like the combo, but it looks nice together.

• lin November 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm

nice find at h&m.; you look great in that suit. i really like the colors, so very fall-like. 😉

• Bravoe Runway November 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I was impressed with H&M;'s quality this Fall. I picked up several great pieces and did purchased the other houndstooth elbow patch blazer prior to their release of this model. I styled it as an equestrian look with skinny black pants tucked into riding boots. My blazer however, was not cropped. I agree it is hard to go back to H&M; once you own pieces from Theory. But sometimes we can afford to make small wardrobe sacrifices.

• Beautygirl24 November 2, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I love the suit on you but honestly…Those Prada heels are to die for! I can't stop admiring them!

• Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Jean, have you seen this?

This is getting ridiculous.

• Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Hi –

I have got to agree with anonymous up above – that other blog mentioned copies EVERYTHING you do! That is my pet peeve – I have had many copiers in the past and it is annoying! Just wanted you to know that it does not go unnoticed.

In any case, love your blog and the suit is cute on you!

• Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

As much as I enjoy reading this other blogger once in a while, I haveto agree with anon that it's getting ridiculous. EVERY SINGLE thing in her post today – ann taylor brown pumps, gap bow blouse, suit, she rushed to purchase right after you. There's so many styles and places to shop out there – why she does not build a successful blog based on her own ideas and style is beyond me?

• dolce November 2, 2011 at 11:47 pm

i was juz going to post the same thing abt the OTHER blog. ha

• dolce November 2, 2011 at 11:51 pm

she even says she doesn't wanna spend money to alter the sleeves!

• Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm

wow! i agree with the other anons above. that's just too bad about some people. there was even a top you had showed one time and she said she didn't get it but she does have it. tsk..tsk… *sigh*

• kam wam November 2, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Stop the bashing.

• Anonymous November 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm

This is so sad : ( I don't find it bashing, because something has to be said. I've been following both of you since you guys started and I like both blogs very much. But I feel bad for you Jean because she has copied everything from your banner to layout and heck, the site name. Jean did you know she was 0petite . com and changed her name right after you changed yours to extra petite?

• kam wam November 3, 2011 at 12:03 am

I don't think none of that matters. We should be here to support each other. I'm sure if we all read/follow each other's blogs then we have somewhat similar taste. I personally do not mind seeing so many reviews on one item since I know how hard it is for me to find petite clothing.

• Lena A. November 3, 2011 at 12:04 am

Finally a great outfit! I'm really impressed with this one. But, I'm quite disappointed with the modeling. When facing downwards, your neck doesn't show. It looks as if your head is attached to your shoulder. It also makes you look shorter. You are short already, so you don't want to look even shorter! Rise your head!

• Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 12:07 am

Jumping on the band wagon with this one. I have followed your blog for a few months now and will admit that I have read reallypetite.com in curiosity to see if she has reviewed the same items you have. While I get people share the same taste in clothes/style, there are so many ways to rework an outfit! People need to do their research as well and make sure someone hasn't posted that same exact outfit before you do. And if it is the same, be more creative and bring in a different perspective on your review!!! I guess you can take it as a compliment to a certain extent, but at the same time, it does get kind of ridiculous that you are seeing a very similar review just days after what you post!

• Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 12:11 am

can you please share what kind of bags you've been using to schlep around your laptop for work? i'm having the hardest time finding a cute one that doesn't cost a fortune. i'd love to see what you're using!

• Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 1:18 am

Haha yea I noticed the copying also. I noticed about two months ago . It's so annoying! That reallypetite girl has no shame

• Café Bellini November 3, 2011 at 6:01 am

I'd never think of buying a suit from H&M; but you make it look good! Love the way you've put it together. I have that bag, too 🙂 You have beautiful hair!

• just tututiny November 3, 2011 at 8:22 am

I had to do a double take cause Annie from Really Petite had on the same outfit! I love how we bloggers learn and experiment with each other. I really like this skirt on you, you did a great job getting it shorten so that it is more appropriate for petites. Gorgeous as usual.

• My Dressy Ways November 3, 2011 at 9:00 am

I LOVE the blazer and want it SO BAD! I'm not too crazy about the skirt though – don't care much for the buttons down the front but they look great together and what a great deal! It's a good and bad thing that I live so far from an H&M.;

I posted a suit look today that's similar to yours too. Only, mine are not matching pieces! Check it out and let me know what you think about the way I added colors to the outfit! I'd like to think I might inspire you next time you wear this suit. 🙂

• Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 9:25 am

Jean, I know that you'll delete some of these comments since you don't want to cause any problems but I do want to say that we each have our own personal style. I agree that we can help each other in adding new ideas into our style but with a certain blogger, I've seen how she's changed from her own style to being your style. It can be flattering but only to acertain extent. We all should just be true to ourselves.

• JJ November 3, 2011 at 10:04 am

I've been trying to find this suit set in this color for ages, but the only one that seems to be available by me is the grey version – which unfortunately looks so much cheaper than the brown. This suit looks so quality – especially the way you've styled it!

• Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 10:18 am

There's nothing wrong with reviewing the same items. Kelly and Jean both reviewed the same blazer but both added their original thoughts on it. Something does need to be said when a blogger's banner, background, format, etc are being copied verbatim. That's creative work not easy to come by and not up for grabs. What happens if Jean stops blogging? The other blog isn't going to help me shop and style clothes since everything is inspired by Jean.

Jean, you're def original and talented in both fashion and blogging. It's clear people realize that. I hope you continue to blog and don't get discouraged by any drawbacks.

• dietingfashions November 3, 2011 at 11:27 am

H&M; needs to come to Houston NOW!

I have been in search for a new suit though. I usually buy the Banana Republic suits but I want one with more quality and style. I want to breakaway from BR for a change.

Jean, how would you rate Banana Republic's suits compared with Theory suits?

• Really Petite November 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

To all the @anon comments above- I took pictures and wrote my post 1 week ago and had it scheduled for last night so not sure how I would be able to copy Jean.

@Dolce I did shorten the sleeves so not sure what you meant?

I adore Jean and we happen to have similar taste in clothes and are similar in size. I do not blatantly copy her clothes or her blog. My taste has always been the same.

@Kam wam – thank you

Jean- I'm sorry for all these comments but I had to stick up for myself.

• Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 11:50 am

I'm SO tired of hearing the excuse "we have the same taste and style!" when i browsed back to RP's very early blog posts, her outfits were very distinct from Jean's. Multiple reviews of the same items are fine if a blogger puts their own spin on it – I've seen other petite bloggers review the same items but do not have nearly identical outfits. I remember when LOFT had the Memorial Day feature and RP had the same Modcloth social skirt + chambray + navy blazer outfit that Jean posted way back!

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) November 3, 2011 at 11:54 am

LOL do you run away from Nick often? hahaha!

I don't have any use for a full suit, but I did buy that blazer! I've had my post drafted for a while now so hopefully it will go up soon 😉 You look great!

Ok and to the annon comments above…the blogging community is generally one of support but I have to say the Petite Blogging community is ESPECIALLY supportive. Being the same size and shopping at the same places WILL lead to reviewing the same pieces and even possibly almost exact outfits! We all draw inspriration from one another too so the word "copying" isn't really fair. Both extrapetite.com and reallypetite.com have huge followings and probably a lot of the same followers as it is with a lot of other petite blogs out there so we are bound to be seeing similar reviews.

• Samantha November 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

That is a great price for a full suit. And I never thought to check the back during movement for pulling, etc. but that is great advice.

I wish I would have seen that blazer because I love the elbow patches! I would style it with a thin sweater, skinny jeans, and boots (my fall staple outfit)! Can't wait to see how you style them separately for work! :o)