Summertime Business Casual Work Outfit

striped pencil

Top: Ann Taylor sz XSP (similar in XXS)
Skirt: BR (thrifted)  Blazer: H&M; (old)
Shoes: Ann Taylor Perfect Pump in “Saddle Brown” sz 5

Summertime work wear for me is very simple. For a business casual environment (no blazer required), I usually reach for a colorful sheath dress or comfy tee with pencil skirt. If you have a favorite casual top, don’t be afraid to try it tucked into work skirts or pants. On days when I may be sweating up a storm, I much prefer machine-washable tees to delicate blouses that require costly dry cleaning!
striped pencil2

Belt: J.Crew (using hole puncherPearls: eBay (search for 80″ or 100″ pearls)  Ring: YSL Arty

striped pencil1

Plus it’s easy to slip into shorts or jeans after work for running errands!
Jeans: Gap Legging Jeans in “faded dark,” size 00 Petite (be wary the petite length is quite short!)

striped pencil3

38 thoughts on “Summertime Business Casual Work Outfit

• Jenn July 10, 2011 at 10:40 am

I think the optional layer pulls the whole outfit together. This is such a cute tutorial!

• Michelleesque July 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

I absolutely love the blazer over your tee. I wish I was more creative when it comes to business casual. I always freak out when someone tells me an event is business casual because I don't really know what to wear. This gives me a better idea of what that means. Thanks so much! 🙂

• Really Petite July 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

I found this shirt for $10 and took pics for it yesterday! So please don't think I am copying you! LOL

And what a great video- you are like a video NATURAL Jean! Great job! 🙂

• Ping July 10, 2011 at 1:06 pm

jean– that top is so versatile. looks so nicely put together with the blazer. definitely very summer casual and nicely done!

• The Little Dust Princess July 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I love how that shirt can be transformed for almost any occasion! <3 stripes. Are you using a diff camera or editing technique for these pics? You look so different compared to your other photos...in my eyes anyway. LOL

• Jen July 10, 2011 at 3:00 pm

adorbs

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) July 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Love how you can take that piece and make it work for the office and for weekends! This is what I've been trying to do lately – taking pieces and making them work for different occasions. Have to admit that working in such a casual environment I can easily wear EXACTLY what I wear on the weekends into the office.

• Michelle July 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love that top! I have been such a LOFT girl…I really need to venture into AT more often!

I agree with Annie…you are such a natural on camera! Lol! at Wendy's cameo and your comment about "men on the subway" complimenting your ring…and the look on your face was priceless, too! :p

• Anna July 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm

This is absolutely beautiful – I love the combo of the striped tee and the skirt. I actually have a mini in this color and I think I could rock it in the winter with tights and a striped light sweater. ADORE!

• R.L. July 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm

You've become so great at videos Jean! Can't wait to see more from you! I bought that same striped top and love pairing it with my Longchamp and Bensimon sneakers. Makes me feel almost French! I love how you were able to dress it up for biz casual too. Hopefully H&M; puts out another version of that blazer. I wish I had snagged it when I got the chance, you shown how versatile it is!

• Anonymous July 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm

OMG…not so serious for once! LOL!

• Anonymous July 10, 2011 at 6:05 pm

On the second thought, you are kinda still serious but trying to be perky!

• Arora July 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I've seen shirts like that on the rack all the time and never considered them thinking they would be too casual for work. Your outfit looks great and so work appropriate! I wish I had tops like that now.

• PetiteLittleGirl July 10, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Your style is so effortless. I always love the way you mix your outfits. I've watched the video last night and couldn't stop laughing at creepy Wendy =)

• ShinyPrettyThings July 10, 2011 at 7:47 pm

i love this outfit! i'm obsessed w stripes lately. So cute ^_^

• Petite J.D. July 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Great post! I've actually been doing the long-sleeved tee/pencil skirt/belt look lately and I was a little worried that I was cheating or being lazy with the tee. But you look great so I'm going to keep doing it =)

• nanajosianne July 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I'm into stripes too and i just adore your pairing skills !!

• Shelli Lynn July 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Jean – I love your blog. I've been reading for about a year and you've given me so much inspiration to make more of my daily dressing routine. I never thought about combining a tee with a pencil skirt — great idea! I love the necklace you are wearing in the video and in the pics from your trip to LA wiht the other bloggers. Where is it from? I've been looking for something very similar and so far I can only find one by Stella and Dot…

• ACC July 10, 2011 at 11:31 pm

This has become one of my favorite summer office uniforms! I never get sick of pairing stripes with everything I can get my hands on. I'd love to be able to rock the blazer as well, but this is impossible in the D.C. summers. (Btw, brand-new petite blogger here – you've been such a great style inspiration!)

• newpetite July 11, 2011 at 12:25 am

love how you make the same pieces work for you as formal or casual!

• Pink Sade July 11, 2011 at 6:20 am

You're so cute and adorable! Love this post with it's easy pictorial how-to

• LeeAnne, Style N Season July 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hahaha… Being creative is really fun, rite! And it saves lots of cash, as well. I love mix-matching, too! In my today's post I wear a dress as a top and throw a blazer over it; then take off the blazer again for going out in the evening. ^__^

LeeAnne, Style N Season

• Mae Lu July 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I love this style session!

Do you have suggestions for hot/humid summer gear? I love this outfit, but I feel that long sleeves would really be stuffy and oppressive in Detroit's summer humidity and heat (it got up to 102 in the car the other day/97 outside, and totally humid!)!

Gorgeous as always. Wish I could watch that video but I'm here at work.

xx{ish.},
    Mae Lu @ thereafterish.!

• OSeñorita July 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Love your style!!!

Oh and btw, Orange Señorita Shop is one of the sponsors of Vivawoman's July Giveaway Contest. We are giving away almost 2,000++ worth of Human Nature products. We do hope you can join and participate. 😀

• Anonymous July 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm

also, pleaseee make a blog entry for birchbox!

• Jackie July 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Jean! Congrats on hosting the Haul!! You did great!

I love the necklace you're wearing in the video =)

• Anonymous July 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I'm with Mae Lu, cute outfit but not one for S FL summers 🙂
    Karen

• PetiteAsianGirl July 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Anon readers – I moderated some comments on here, but thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. I truly appreciate your kind words and support!

• Lizzy July 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I'm exactly nine inches taller than you, but all of your excellent advice still applies to me– that is what is so great about your blog!
    As a working gal, I love how you show us how to make professional clothing look fashionable and chic! Now I know I can add a little flair to my usually boring work outfits 🙂 Thank you!

• Anonymous July 12, 2011 at 10:15 pm

i totally agree w/ lizzy. even though i'm taller, i can still use the suggestions you've given. I've been following your blog for a few months now & love your personal style. keep up the great work! 🙂

• PetiteAsianGirl July 13, 2011 at 12:00 am

@Lizzy and @Anonymous Thank you two SO much! I love reading my favorite blogs for the same reason…to take in tips and inspiration that work on women of various shapes and sizes. Thank you two SO much! I love reading my favorite blogs for the same reason…to take in tips and inspiration that work on women of various shapes and sizes.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 13, 2011 at 12:02 am

@Anonymous I just got my first Birchbox today! I acknowledge it's kind of a waste of money (paying for samples) but it's fun, like a little treat. I'll post my thoughts later this month : )

@Mae Lu Fast Food and Fashion is hosting the next petite fashion challenge, and part of it is dressing for extreme heat in the summer!

@Shelli Lynn Hi Shelli, it's an old one from Ann Taylor that I borrowed from a friend. They have pretty decent costume jewelry!

@Anonymous at 8:43PM – I moderated your comment to avoid ruckus, but to answer your question – yes it's frustrating and saddening to me, but there are so many wonderful readers and bloggers on here…I'm trying to see past it : )

• Anonymous July 13, 2011 at 12:22 am

see past what? what did anon at 8:43 refer to?

• Anonymous October 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Very delayed comment, but how do you tuck in your shirts to skirts so that the line from the shirt does not show? A lot of my shirts hit me on the hip, meaning I get a line going across the back of the skirt over the bum (not flattering). When I bunch/roll up the shirt so it falls above my bum, I lose some definite in the waist since it gets a bit bunchier. Any tips?

• Anonymous August 24, 2012 at 1:11 am

Stop wearing skin tight stretchy skirts, and instead opt for something tailored with a little extra room (a cm or two should do.) Also, wear thinner shirts, rather than heavy knits. And belt.

• Anonymous June 17, 2013 at 11:30 pm

These outfits are so effortlessly chic!
    Quick question though, I'm doing a summer program at a hospital and the coordinator has said not to wear jeans, but to dress in a "business casual" style…however, I've seen a lot of business casual outfits include jeans? Should I just stay away from jeans, or find a really nice and more "formal" pair?

• Aspen Eddie October 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Aspen Eddie October 4, 2013 at 5:24 pm

WOW Your looking so smart and innocent, your dresses looks so superb… my sisters was looking for this type of shirt….. http://www.apparelnbags.com/sport-tek/index.htm