• Life with PAG: Seven confessions

A while ago I was tagged by Kileen to do a 7 confessions post. I usually don’t participate in tags or share uninteresting personal information, but I’ve really really enjoyed reading everyone’s confessions posts and learning more about my fellow bloggers. So…here goes:

1. I moved 6 times during my childhood. From China, to PA, NJ, VA, NY, OH, then to MA. It was hard to make and keep close friends in school and I don’t wish to subject my future kids to that.

2. I like some really gross foods (like offals! lol). We had a good twitter chat going about this : )

3. I used to dabble in piano and had a secret YouTube channel. By Asian piano standards, I’m awful. I like playing Asian love songs.

4. I skipped 5th grade and missed the birds and the bees talk in health class. Why did it have to be that year?

5. Sometimes I believe in fate. My boyfriend of 6+ years and I grew up on opposite coasts and applied to a myriad of colleges, but we both narrowed it down to the same top two choices. We ended up choosing the same one and I met him my first day of school!

6. I think the best gift my parents ever gave me was a humble beginning.

7. I had a small “business” in high school sewing clothes & handbags for classmates. My senior year was spent furiously sewing in the basement! I even had to go to the ER after sewing my finger to a garment, lol. Some dresses that I made for proms (don’t laugh!):

Next I am tagging a few of my fellow fashion / beauty bloggers. I know they usually don’t participate in this sort of thing, but nosy me would like to learn more about them: Alterations Needed (I’m re-tagging you!), Frmheadtotoe, Coastalpolitan, and Kechiko.
    Happy Thanksgiving to my US readers!

50 thoughts on “Life with PAG: Seven confessions

• PetiteΓ©lΓ©gant November 24, 2010 at 12:20 pm

very talented. I know many petite friends that can sew.

• siwing November 24, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love these kinds of posts! Wow you're a East coast girl!! hehe.. Can you speak chinese? I am chinese too ! =)

Aww what a sweet story of you and your bf.. It is fate!

and girll you can definitely sew !! I like that green dress !!

• AubreyOhDang! November 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm

You made the green dress?! Hey, not bad, not bad at all. So what happened to this sewing hobby of yours? Can we expect future DIY posts? πŸ˜‰

Happy Thanksgiving Jean!

• Elle November 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm

You can sew really well! I don't know why you don't do your own alterations!? It would save you so much money πŸ™‚ But you are always a busy bee at work so I am sure you don't have that much free time.

and when will you share your secret youtube account with us? I would love to see you play…my mom made me take 5 years of piano lessons when I was small but I was too ADD to be any good at it.

• kileen November 24, 2010 at 12:41 pm

wow, i'm so impressed with your sewing skills! all that ruching and the layers!

and it's so cute to hear about you and your bf too! i love the pictures of you and him and you guys seem perfect for each other! congrats on 6+ years!

thanks for doing this tag. i love reading them and i hope you had fun doing it too! πŸ™‚

• Erin November 24, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Totally agree with you regarding the humble beginning. Perspective is such a great thing! Love your dresses too! Wish we'd been friends back then, I would have bought one from you!

• I am Khatu November 24, 2010 at 12:49 pm

You made those? I'm impressed!

• Ping November 24, 2010 at 12:58 pm

oh wow jean! u are good. my mom has a sewing machine and i used to make my friend clothes for school dances, but they weren't anything elaborate like your prom dresses. it normally consisted of tube tops, tube dresses and tube skirts! lol!!

• DiamondsandTulle November 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Wow! What great sewing skills you have! That green dress is very detailed! I know what you mean about moving around. Though I never moved out of state, the constant moving and moving back made it hard to establish any childhood friends.

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

• iAMminky3 November 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Ohh wow! This was such a cute post! and those dresses were lovely!! πŸ™‚

• Anonymous November 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Wow you are so talented…I can't believe you made those dresses! I didn't know you were Chinese… You look Korean to me…

• The Little Dust Princess November 24, 2010 at 1:48 pm

OMG and I thought I had it hard going to so many different schools. I can't imagine moving between States/provinces. What are offals???? lol I saw your Youtube channel before..you either showed me or posted it somewhere. : ) I think you have talent! I have none at all (in music) so consider yourself lucky. ; ) The story of you and your boyfriend is so cute. : )

Did you attend THREE proms?!? I love the design of the green dress, but that wouldn't be my first colour choice. LOL

• CynthiaC November 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I really like the green prom dress! Also, having a small business in high school, huh? Were you part of Junior Achievement?

By the way, don't forget to check out MY Seven Confessions!

• Sara November 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Those are awesome confessions! And wow you did a nice job on those dresses! Awesome story about the boyfriend, also πŸ™‚

• Irene November 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I can't believe you sewed those yourself – that's so neat! I've always wanted to learn, maybe this year? I'm more impressed than anything else by your super skills, I always enjoy your DIY posts.

I have to find this secret youtube channel – πŸ™‚ I think 90% of all asians play some type of musical instrument at some point in their childhood!

I have no idea what offals are – google to the rescue! Does tripe & gizzards count?

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! πŸ™‚

• kali November 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Aww I love this post! That's really sweet how you and your bf met. And that's awesome how you can sew!

• Nelah November 24, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Gotta love these confessions, I really enjoy getting to know everyone a bit more too. Thanks Kileen who starts this post, you rock girl!

To my surprise, several ladies within petite community were born overseas. I thought that is interesting because I was not born here either. We all can relate to one another in some ways. I had no idea you sew, I mean look at those prom dresses. You are very talented and pretty. Glad you did this post πŸ™‚

• Alterations Needed November 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

LOL…tagged twice! I guess I have to now…maybe after a few glasses of wine tomorrow, I'll whip something up…=P

So…are we going to have a Jean's piano YouTube channel viewing at our SD meet up or what??? =)

• San Jose Love November 24, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I think you're very talented. No I did not laugh at those pics, and you were very pretty even back in high school! I really enjoy reading your blog and a few others from the petite community. My blog is about food so I haven't much to contribute to the community but I love what you guys do and I regularly check for sales alerts. Keep up the good work!

• Maye November 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I love the green dress you made!

• Cee November 24, 2010 at 3:50 pm

The dresses look so well made. I think you should revive this small business πŸ™‚ My bf and I met in college too, not on the first day, but one of the first few days. Our story isn't as cool because we're both from the same area back home and went to a state college, but I still believe in fate!

• elleandish November 24, 2010 at 4:33 pm

sewing yourself to a garment!? ouchie! I like this tag… always nice to get to know you a little better πŸ™‚ <3

• Claud November 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Awww…you look so sweet in your prom pictures. Lovely! I enjoyed reading this post. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

• zigiie November 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• PetiteXXS November 24, 2010 at 6:16 pm

This was really fun to read! Even though I've always been in the LA area, I've moved around quite a bit… 10 times since college! I didn't even know what offals are, but after googling it, I have to admit that I eat it too haha. I also skipped a grade (but in high school), so that's another thing we have in common! Love your #5, I'll have to share with you about how I met hubby one of these days! Very much agree with your #6 as well, wouldn't have trade my upbringing for anything because I probably wouldn't be here otherwise. And omg thanks for sharing those prom pics!! I don't think I'd be brave enough to share mine haha. The green dress actually looks quite nice on you, but a different color probably would've helped πŸ™‚

• Michelle November 24, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I love the pictures! I like that you changed up the colors! Ouch!! about your finger! I do not want to try to imagine that one!

That is a sweet story about how you two met!

• herwaisechoice November 24, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Awww Jean, the story of you and your boyfriend is so sweet! And I can totally see your dresses being gorgeous if you just modernized them a bit. It's amazing how you can make them and I too agree that you should start up your business again! πŸ™‚

Jen

• PetiteLittleGirl November 24, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I just watched your videos. Oh wow! I am really impressed. You're so talented in many ways. I have always loved to play piano but didn't get a chance to learn when I was young. Thanks for sharing with us. You're truly a perfect Jeanie πŸ™‚

• Selena November 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm

You live in MA? Where? I live here too!

• diana November 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I loved this it was so cute! And I know what your old piano channel used to be. I love your piano playing so much…you are really much better than what you credit yourself for!

• fabulouslyfrugirl November 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm

This is so cute, Jean. And you are brave for putting up prom pics πŸ˜‰

I really agree with your #6.

• 20 York Street November 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I think I fail a lot of things by Asian standards! I can't believe you did all these! You should go back to it, you are talented, yes?

xox,

20 YORK STREET

• samanthaloves November 24, 2010 at 10:39 pm

". We ended up choosing the same one and I met him my first day of school!" That's soo cute! Call it creepy, but I totally love hearing about how lovers have met!!

• SewPetiteGal November 24, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Oh my goodness, great sewing skills! Like Aubrey, I'm wondering if you'll do some future DIY posts – loved reading your confessions πŸ™‚

• *ms.angela89* November 25, 2010 at 12:31 am

Wow, is my first word. Your so cute! I love your smile. πŸ™‚

You definitely have sewing skills. I like that lime green one the best! πŸ˜€ I don't know how to sew so, if you do tutorials maybe I'll learn. heheh! Have a great day!

• grace November 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Wow, you look gorgeous in the photos you posted! I envy your sewing skills (as I have none).

Love all your confessions too – cute story about the bf =) and totally agree about humble beginnings!

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Ada November 25, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Awww this post was very fun to read! More life with PAG pls! πŸ™‚

• Anonymous November 26, 2010 at 10:17 am

You have been with your bf for 6yrs and you are not even engaged or married!?! Why??? I don't understand why my Azn sistas adopt these loose American ways and abandon our traditional cultural ways that have benefited our people for thousands of years!
      We are a people who value family and if dude has not put a ring on your finger then how is he or you respecting our family oriented culture?

Not attacking u, I just don't get it and i see too many of our young Azian people forsaking our traditional cultural ways to fit in with a selfish American culture.

• CynthiaC November 26, 2010 at 6:14 pm

@Anonymous: Not to go off topic, but people in the old country aren't marrying that young anymore either. My Hong Kong peers are mostly in the 28-35 age range and only half of them are married (mostly those in their 30s). The average age of first marriage in Taiwan is pretty much hitting the late 20s/early 30s as well. The world is changing and traditions get altered. That's just the way it is. I'm sure our ancestors would freak out at the fact that our brides wear white.

• Angie November 27, 2010 at 12:12 am

!! when i read #1 i finally felt better that i wasn't the only one. i moved so much too and i don't think i'm quite done. i never want my kids to go through this terrible lack of stability.

yeah why don't you do your own alterations? you're great at it and don't you give me this humble crap denying it πŸ™‚

@anonymous: sometimes young professionals have so many better things to do than hunker down and get married so early. if you find someone amazing early on, they're a keeper and you don't need a ring to reaffirm that.

@jean: you two are the most beautiful couple. someday you're going to have the most beautiful kids. wish you the best in many years to come!