The city has been filled with seasonal cheer, and I love getting dressed accordingly in all the cozy textures, layered fabrics, and luxe finishing touches! Here are a week’s worth of outfit formulas – some casual, some more festive – using wardrobe pieces that most of you may already own. See each of these looks in motion in my IG Reel.
1. Shopping / Exploring Holiday Markets
Outfit Formula: Tunic sweater + leggings + boots + overcoat + beanie
Boston has several holiday markets and ice skating rinks this year that I can’t wait to hit up with the family! A loose sweater tunic with black leggings is always a comfortable, chic bet as an outfit foundation. I’d also throw on a patterned or black fringe scarf for extra warmth!
- Handbag: Parisa Wang c/o
- Boots: Sam Edelman 5. Very similar option stocked in black.
- Leggings: Zella 7/8 length xxs
- Sweater: French Connection at Saks off 5th. Current option, or similar in petites.
- Coat: Mango xs. Current options here and here.
- Beanie: Quince cashmere. Also seen here.
- Sunglasses: $15 BP
2. The Office
I started this outfit using two very basic pieces (white blouse + neutral trousers), and dressed it up with a little festive outfit trick that I’ve been doing since 7+ years ago! They sell ribbon neck ties specifically for this purpose, but really you can use anything you have on hand … velvet or grosgrain ribbon, black or colored like emerald. Lots of possibilities!
Outfit Formula: Button up blouse + trousers + ribbon + textured jacket or blazer
- Trousers: Abercrombie trousers xs short (my review)
- Blouse: Ann Taylor blouse xxs petite – great staple!
- Shoes: Sarah Flint 5.5
- Tweed Jacket: Ann Taylor (old; similar at Mango, Bloomingdales). This in petite is also so cute!
- Accessories: Edited Pieces gold ring and tennis bracelet, Chanel brooch
3. Dinner Party or Winter Wedding
I just adore the mix of velvet and satin here! Again each of these clothing pieces are simple, but the multiple textures, sleek cut, and sparkly finishing touches take the look up a notch. I got this slip skirt years ago and thought it was too big and long, but I’m glad I held onto it as it now suits my tastes nicely! Instead of this particular top, a corset like the one I shared recently also pairs gorgeously in this look.
Outfit Formula: Sleek tank + midi slip skirt + heels or strappy sandals
- Slip Skirt: J.Crew xxs. Similar at Quince (see my review) and The Drop (ships quickly).
- Velvet top: Express xs. Also looks beautiful with this corset.
- Bow Pumps: ASOS sz 6 (runs small)
- Faux Fur Coat: H&M kids sz 11/12 (old; similar at Amazon, H&M).
- Accessories: $12 crystal earrings
4. Holiday Lunch or Tea with Friends
If lighter colors like this aren’t your thing, this same look is super chic and easy to recreate in all black. I’d do a black short skirt, black coat, and a tucked-in sweater in either grey, cream or camel. And in lieu of tall boots, you can easily swap in fleece lined tights and black ankle boots.
Outfit Formula: Monochrome skirt + mock neck sweater + coat + boots (or tights & booties)
- Tweed Skirt: J.Crew 00 (other chic tweed skirts by Aqua, lulus, Saks). For a staple solid black option, this one is on super sale and such a good basic! Size 0 fits perfectly high rise like an XS.
- Mockneck Top: Nordstrom xxs (current option)
- Wrap Coat: Edited Pieces coat xxs. Similar by Ever New petites (nice quality)
- Boots: Nine West (prior year; similar with a good fit)
- Pumps: Ann Taylor. Similar at ASOS (I sized up to 6) & Nordstrom.