Reading your thoughtful comments on my decade in review, I cannot thank you guys enough for supporting this passion of mine over the years. Without you, I never could have turned the dream of working for myself into a reality. I took last week to unplug with family and am back with one of my favorite annual posts. Fashion will always be at the core of this blog, but over recent years, the reader-favorite posts and tips have definitely shifted! If you had a favorite post, tip or purchase from last year that wasn’t mentioned on here, I’d love to hear about it!
10 Most-loved finds of 2019:
For the first time, several items on the reader favorites list were never even featured in blog posts! I shared them very informally in IG stories and also on my InstaShop page, so check there every so often for one-off finds. The top 2 most popular items in 2019 were actually the Zella midi leggings and AT wrap coat, but I gave them a rest as you guys already know how much I love those : )
1. J.Crew factory woven huarache sandals (sold out)
A best seller from 2019 that I don’t even have a single decent photo of on me. I had searched high and low for sandals like these, and they sold out quickly but I’ll keep an eye out for potential restocks. Several of you also recommended Nisolo huarache sandals as an ethically-produced option.
2. A&F snap front popover
Another item I didn’t think was “blog worthy” (since I always wore it super casually) but turned out to be a big hit with you guys. Slim fit pullover (medium weight) with a functional kangaroo pocket and snap collar. Works with gym leggings, faux leather leggings, and skinny jeans. I have xxs and the back is just long enough to cover my bum.
3. Brooklinen sheets
If you bought these, I’d love to hear what you guys think now that you’ve had some time to sleep on it! I wanted to find a go-to for quality sheets (rather than comb through hundreds of options at Macy’s with the risk of trial & error) and so many of you recommended this brand. As mentioned in my review, I did not find these to be “life changing” good but they are a great set of smooth, crisp and comfortable sheets that are cool and breathable in the summer, and I’ve been happy enough to repurchase. We use their Luxe Cotton Sateen set and they also have a lower priced option.
4. Caslon waterproof hidden wedge flats
Pictured here – a more recent top find from my IG stories that I’ve already gotten rave feedback on! These have a small hidden wedge inside for support (which I find more comfy than completely flat shoes) and a little extra height. They are also water resistant, have a non slip rubber sole, ortholite insole and a sleek shape. I am usually between size 5 to 5.5, and a 5.5 fit perfectly.
5. J.Crew cardigan blazer
One of my go-to’s for travel and everyday layering. Wait for an occasional sale, size down from your usual, and use a sweater shaver to clean up pills. Seen on me here with pants, here with jeans, and here with riding boots.
6. BP ribbed dolman sleeve top
*Under 50* One of my favorite slouchy fit basics since 2 years ago, and another travel go-to. The ribbed material is soft and lightweight for layering, and the dolman sleeves still fit fine under regular coats. Seen on me here with a skirt, here with jeans, and here with a longer skirt.
7. H&M zippered tote
*Under $50* See my original review here and the updated colors here (black and burgundy). I love how petite friendly this one is, but for a roomier tote that comes in more colors, I would also recommend the Sole Society Zeda tote (my review) which a lot of you have been happy with. The Sole Society one does not have a top zipper but does come with a size-able zipper pouch inside.
8. Gibson Knit Cotton Blazer
One of the best casual yet polished pieces I’ve found (with lots of colors), and their petite sizing fits nice and slim throughout. Seen on me above, and also here (pic #5), here (pic #4), and here (pic #4). I get a lot of questions from readers who work in tech or startup fields with very lax dress codes, and I think this sweatshirt-like blazer is a great staple for pairing with jeans in such settings.
9. H&M pleated midi skirt
*under $50* Seen on me here (the color I have is old). I absolutely love H&M for skirts that fit without alterations, and there are decent quality ones to be found that can last years and years of wear. Here is another pleated option in classic black starting in size xxs (note their waist sizing runs a little small).
10. Everlane authentic stretch high rise jeans (or mid rise)
*Under 50* Responsibly produced and on sale only because they are phasing out my favorite dark grey wash! Not surprised these made the list as they’re probably my most worn garment of 2019, and were the only jeans I packed on recent trips (see below!).
I cut my hems shorter for an above ankle frayed length, so if you plan on doing the same, it doesn’t matter whether you get ankle or regular (more sizes are stocked in regular). See on me here and here.
Most read blog posts of 2019
Excluding popular sale roundups like Cyber Week and Nsale:
- Gucci belt sizing + width guide. One of my most read posts of the year, likely because this is a versatile, fairly accessible luxury piece that comes in very petite friendly sizes.
- Most used newborn baby products including my favorite petite-friendly infant carriers.
- My experience with postpartum depression and some tips for coping.
- Mom’s Chinese braised pork belly recipe is always a hit! Going to make this for Lunar new year.
- Reformation little black dress (my most liked outfit post of 2019!)
- Posts on versatile dressing + styling videos on IGTV (arrows below on how to find the videos)
How to find my Instagram TV styling videos:
2019 reader favorite tips & Tricks
Based on a poll I did last month!
- Quick tips on Instagram stories (see blue arrow above):
- Tying the perfect bow
- Tucking in chunky sweaters
- Temporarily shortening a chain strap on a purse
- What to do with belts that are too long
- How to make a hat fit smaller + scarf securing magnet
- Flying & traveling with a baby series (top tip = wear a baby carrier to the airport!)
- My Amazon favorites page (reader favorite items here = laundry stain bar and baby food scissors!). Click the notepad icon in the upper right corner of each product to read my quick review.
2019 Favorite Trips
With a little one, we stuck to walking-friendly domestic destinations for ease. Our travel diary posts in 2019 were food heavy per usual with the addition of more baby and toddler friendly spots!
- Washington DC – My personal favorite trip of the year. I’d visited multiple times as a kid without much of an impression, but fell in love with this city visiting again as an adult. Georgetown was very walkable and charming (reminiscent of Beacon Hill, Boston), there was an abundance of diverse good food, and best of all, so many free museums that I can’t wait to take Nori back to.
- Seattle – we visit here at least once a year fir both work and family. Not as walkable, but we always love the food scene, and with the addition of a little one we really appreciated the many playgrounds and affordable Woodland Park Zoo!
- Savannah – loved this city as a slightly slower paced alternative to our annual Charleston trips. So many parks to walk to on every corner.
- San Francisco – missed this city so much! Loved getting to catch up with old friends and speak at Google about my blogging journey as an Asian American.