• Sunset maternity photos in floral lace maxi dress

maternity photoshoot outfit lace maxi dress

R.Vivimos lace maxi dress sz S (not maternity; altered – details below), Ann Taylor sandals sz 5.5
    On Nick – J.Crew 484 pants, J.Crew oxford shirt, Tod’s moccasins

Before I dive into today’s post, I wanted to share two major sale dates coming up this week! I’ll be covering both the infamous Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (early access begins Thursday, July 12th bright & early) and Amazon Prime Day (begins Monday, July 16th noon PST), so mark your calendars to come check the blog! I’ve been combing through all the sale previews, and will be posting petite-friendly reviews and some of the best deals in fashion, home, and of course, some baby stuff (which I’ve been knee-deep in with research lately)!

On the topic of Amazon, this lace dress (comes in 3 colors) is one of my random finds from a small overseas brand that I typically wouldn’t risk ordering from. However, certain colors and sizes in this are currently Prime eligible (look for the “Prime” icon with free 2-day shipping & returns), so I had nothing to lose trying it on. I was pleasantly surprised – although the quality is not standout (but very fair for the price) and I did make some alterations, the dress is overall a very pretty piece that has garnered lots of compliments!

ravello italy babymoon maternity photo session
    Cut-wise, this dress is not maternity but has a slightly higher waistband that can accommodate a growing bump. I’ve heard from several of you who were happy with it for either wedding guest wear, engagement photos, or for a bridal shower outfit! The length is intended to be “midi,” so works on shorter ladies without hemming needed. There is a side zipper entry, and the outer is an embroidered sheer mesh overlay with an attached nude lining that ends at the knees. Unfortunately sizing only starts in S and above, so will be wide on very petite ladies without alterations.

Size S measures: 15″ across shoulders, 17″ across underarms, 15″ across waistband, 13″ from the top of shoulders to top of waistband, 52″ total length, 22.5″ sleeve length. I got sz S and had the sleeves slimmed and slightly shortened via the armholes. Both the lining and mesh outer fabric have some stretch, except for at the waistband.

ravello italy amalfi coast couple photoshoot engagement ideas
    For our maternity photos we hired Lace & Luce, a lovely Italian-Canadian couple who were a treat to work with. Jen & Salvatore actually found romance by chance – Jen was vacationing in Italy and got a flat tire, Sal came to the rescue of the damsel in distress, and the rest was history! We did both a sunrise and sunset session with them in two different towns. This set of photos is from sunset in Ravello, which has the most stunning, sweeping views! Jen & Sal took us on a walking tour around town, hitting up several of these charming little nooks and vignettes. They also referred us to Kuts Flowers, a sweet florist who rents her vintage Fiat 500 car for photos. As I mentioned before, we adored our few hours in Ravello and would definitely want to spend a night or two there if we go back!

ravello amalfi coast italy couple photography session vintage car fiat

maternity photo pregnancy photoshoot outfit ideas
    ravello amalfi coast italy babymoon photographer
    maternity photo session lace maxi dress
    amalfi coast italy wedding photographer lace maxi dress
    ravello italy engagement photo session vintage car rental
    maternity photos pregnancy photoshoot dress outfit

30 thoughts on “Sunset maternity photos in floral lace maxi dress

• Reply Dee July 9, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Jaw… meet floor!!! I can’t quite put into words the feeling that picture of the two of you with Ravello in the background creates. It’s like showing how small two people are in the immensity of the world, and yet how precious. Far beyond “cute pic / cute dress,” I am just agog at the power of that image and really happy for the two of you. (And cute dress too!! lol)

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 11, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Thank you so much, Dee! That shot is one of my favorites for the reasons that you so eloquently put into words ; )

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog July 9, 2018 at 10:44 pm

What a beautiful set of photos, stunning location too! ❤️❤️ You both look so happy and the photos capture it so well! Beyond cute! 🙂

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia July 9, 2018 at 11:26 pm

Just the sweetest and most romantic love photos of the two of you … love ♥️it! 🌷👍🏻🌷

• Reply Ivy July 9, 2018 at 11:37 pm

So exciting that you hired a photographer duo that is based out of my hometown, Ottawa! I wish I had chosen to work with Lace & Luce for my wedding! Their photos are incredible!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 11, 2018 at 7:38 pm

I seem to keep having good luck with Canadian-based photographers! ; )

• Reply Mimi July 9, 2018 at 11:39 pm

Absolutely breathtaking views and photos. Your pictures look like poster for a movie 😊. Love that maxi dress on you as well.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 11, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Aw thank you, Mimi!!

• Reply Briana July 10, 2018 at 12:28 am

So pretty! Maternity photos are always the best, so pretty!

Briana

• Reply Elizabeth T. July 10, 2018 at 1:35 am

These photos are soo dreamy and beautiful! I love how serene both you and Nick look! <3 🙂 And that dress looks lovely on you!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Simplement Lui July 10, 2018 at 2:16 am

Beautiful pictures!

• Reply Rena July 10, 2018 at 3:14 am

Your floral maxi dress is adorable and I’m in love with all the wonderful pictures!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply YZ Chan July 10, 2018 at 5:05 am

What a beautiful location for maternity photos! You and your husband look so happy together. x

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses July 10, 2018 at 6:11 am

Beautiful photos Jean! Your dress looks absolutely gorgeous!

I hope you’re having a great Tuesday,
      Michael

• Reply Maureen July 10, 2018 at 6:31 am

Wow! So beautiful – the photos, setting, your dress and you guys! Gosh, now it kinda makes me kick myself for not taking maternity photos when I was preggo with my son! Lol Your dress suits you well Jean. The color is very pretty and the print is amazing! Love love these photos!

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style July 10, 2018 at 6:53 am

These photos are so beautiful! X

• Reply Daphna July 10, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Gorgeous, just put this in my Amazon shopping cart! I was recently watching some of your old bun videos. Do you prefer to use a Japanese bump it or a claw clip to give you volume in the front? Is it still possible to buy those Japanese bump its online? They look pretty awesome. Thanks so much!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 11, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Hi Daphna – I’ve completely graduated from the bumpit and prefer to use some texturizing spray (like Oribe) and then just tease the hair out a bit with my fingers. The bumpit can snag your pair when you try to take it out.

• Reply Allison July 10, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Your photos are stunning! I am in Boston as well! Can you share where you get your garments tailored? It would be an enormous help for a fellow preggers petite 🙂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 11, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Hi Allison – congrats!! I go to Tailor Cai in Chinatown on Knapp Street. He doesn’t speak English but has a lot of non-Chinese customers whom he communicates with just using gestures. If you go to Knapp st (very short street) you’ll see a hair salon and then a sign that says alterations.

• Reply Belle by Laurelle July 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm

That dress is absolutely breathtaking + these photos are just precious. What an amazing way to celebrate before your little one arrives! I bet you’ll cherish these forever. You look radiant.

xx, Laurelle

• Reply Yándary July 10, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Jean, you look absolutely stunning in these photos! Your bump is just darling. 🙂

• Reply Jenn July 10, 2018 at 11:31 pm

The pics are gorgeous! Love the hair, dress, everything!

One question unrelated to the shoot – what makes the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale infamous?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite July 11, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Thank you, Jenn!
        And haha – I say infamous because every blogger posts about this sale, so some shoppers tend to get sick of it before it even begins.

• Reply May July 11, 2018 at 12:58 am

OMG Jean! You look absolutely gorgeous in these photos. The dress is amazing on you and your bump. Everything about this is perfect!

May || http://themoderness.com/

• Reply Petite Teacher July 11, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Dear Jean. I am totally into floral dresses this season, so I absolutely love your outfit! The photos, dress and location are a super match. It all radiates romance! Love, Lieske

• Reply Jen Chae July 12, 2018 at 1:24 am

How sweet are your maternity photos!!! I’m absolutely in love with seeing your love captured this way. Lovely location and you both look stunning. <3 Miss you both and hope the pregnancy is going swimmingly!

• Reply Ryume July 12, 2018 at 5:32 am

Stunning photos!

PS: I’m sure people have taken your photos everywhere to resell clothing and whatnot, but figured I would bring this listing to your attention anyway in case it wasn’t approved!

• Reply Shannon Mahaney July 12, 2018 at 11:18 am

Stunning, Jean! You look incredible. What a perfect place to do maternity photos.

• Reply Mary Du July 19, 2018 at 5:07 am

How sweet are your maternity photos!!! I’m absolutely in love with seeing your love captured this way. Lovely location and you both look stunning.I absolutely love your outfit. You and your husband look so happy together. Thank you so much for sharing this over here.