20 Weeks / Halfway There Pregnancy Update

13 weeks pregnant maternity dress asos petite

13 WEEKS
ASOS maternity petite dress (belly clipped back; old – borrowed from friend), pearl bracelet

Last week I logged into a pregnancy app to check what fruit size baby is (large mango), and could hardly believe we crossed the halfway mark! Up until recently, I had mild symptoms (although Nick might beg to differ) and was hovering in an awkward “burrito belly” stage. Since some of you have been kindly checking in, I wanted to share a pregnancy update on here. Petite-friendly maternity wear has been a very popular request – I haven’t posted much about it since I can still get away with some regular clothes, but I promise I will once that need comes!

petite maternity fashion 20 weeks pregnant

20 WEEKS

First Trimester

Pregnant Wife Observations_first trimester symptoms from a husbands perspective
Pregnant Wife Observations_first trimester symptoms from husbands perspective
ABOVE: Snippets from Nick’s “pregnancy journal,” originally shared on Instagram

Symptoms:
I’m so grateful about no morning sickness or nausea, especially after hearing how awful it is / was for some of you! I only noticed a few symptoms myself (below), but apparently my dear husband had plenty of other observations. You guys may have seen Nick’s pregnancy journal, which made me cry and then crack up like the un-hinged hormonal person that I apparently was!

Pee Problems – Frequent…like 3 times throughout the night frequent. I didn’t think I’d need to look into adult diapers for another 8 months or so! Fortunately, it was just an early pregnancy symptom triggered by hormones, at least until it resurfaces late pregnancy for more obvious reasons.

Bloating – I’ve had chronic digestive issues and bloating as long as I can remember, but it’s on a whole different level while pregnant. By the end of each day, my waistline expands up to 8 inches from painful bloat. My doctors have not suggested anything other than to drink lots of water and try elimination diets with no gluten, dairy, or other trigger ingredients one at a time.

Fatigue – Naps never felt so good!

Last IVF injection: Around 11 weeks we did our last progesterone injection, which felt amazing but a little bittersweet. When we started IVF, I didn’t realize these hormones had to be taken for that long after implantation. I hated the needles and soreness, but the injections became almost a comfort for me knowing it was helping maintain a healthy pregnancy. I also secretly loved the pampering (heating pad butt massages, anyone?) from Nick and having this set-aside time together nightly.

Second Trimester

Pregnant Wife Observations_second trimester symptoms from a husbands perspective
Pregnant Wife Observations_second trimester symptoms from husbands perspective
ABOVE: Nick’s pregnancy journal continued

Symptoms: Like magic, right around 13 weeks almost all my first trimester symptoms disappeared (except bloating). I got my energy back, I could make it through the night without potty breaks, and I had a fridge full of uneaten pomelo fruit that didn’t seem quite as spectacular anymore. Of course, it wasn’t long before a new set of symptoms showed up knocking…

Sleep Saga – A good night’s rest now feels impossible for this typical back sleeper, and the baby’s not even here yet! Is this the beginning of the end? I know pregnant women are often advised to sleep on their left side after 20 weeks, and am wondering how many of you actually did that (and tell me your tips how)! I’m very enticed by the oversized body pillows but we don’t have a big bed.

Huffs & Puffs – Heavy breathing feels like the norm now while doing nothing. Since I have months to go, I’m making it a goal to do more pregnancy yoga and stay moderately active (starting with a personal trainer next week to learn some safe exercises).

– First flutters – You guys were right about how incredible it is to start feeling these. I can sense regular movement now and then what feels like a party in my uterus around 3am (conveniently).

Weight Gain: Started at ~94 and am up 10 lbs now, most of which were gained over the last few weeks. My belly “popped” about two weeks ago, which was signaled to me by the start of stomach petting by strangers. Should I just get used to this?

90 thoughts on “20 Weeks / Halfway There Pregnancy Update

• Reply Christine Celine April 16, 2018 at 12:17 pm

So excited for you and Nick! I love his observation notes! They’re so cute and I can see how much he loves you from them! Lots of love to you and your baby ❤️💕

• Reply Petite Teacher April 16, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Looking happy and good girl!

• Reply Liz Lockerman April 16, 2018 at 1:12 pm

You look amazing Jean! Thanks for sharing your journey! I am 4 weeks behind you and loving your updates. I already bought the gray Nordstrom dress you recommended and the Aqua jumpsuit for my tiny bump – love them both! If you haven’t already, check out Madewell’s maternity jeans. I ordered a 23 and they fit perfectly. I’m the same measurements as you on the bottom (at least pre-pregnancy). Congrats again to you both!! ❤️

• Reply Jenny Yang April 16, 2018 at 1:14 pm

omg this is so precious!! I love following along and seeing the memories you two are making–I can’t wait to hear more! You deserve all the best! And love those notes Nick makes ahha
    xx Jen

• Reply M April 16, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Congratulations, Jean! I’m glad you are doing well and you are absolutely gorgeous! I’m loving this update. I am very petite and always appreciate your style advice. It has been extra special to follow your journey into motherhood. I suspect that pregnancy affects us petite women differently, but I have not found a lot of advice for petite pregnant women out there. Did your doctors tell you how much weight a petite woman should expect to gain during her pregnancy? Did you get any other advice that has been helpful as a petite mom-to be?

• Reply Emily April 16, 2018 at 2:35 pm

I love the queen rose pregnancy pillow I found on amazon, easy to roll from side to side in the middle of the night without having to move the pillow. I put the bottom part between my knees to help support back and keep me from rolling onto my stomach. My toddler also loves to snuggle in it 😉

• Reply Shannon Mahaney April 16, 2018 at 2:38 pm

So excited for you, Jean! Nick’s pregnancy notes are hilarious to read. It sounds like you are doing so well with pregnancy!

• Reply Katie April 16, 2018 at 3:17 pm

While I was pregnant, petite maternity clothes from Loft seemed to be the most petite-friendly option!

• Reply Jandrew April 16, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Jean the one thing to keep in mind is that petite women, look twice as pregnant than other women.
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part

• Reply JDW April 16, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Love the update and the comments from Nick. He’s hilarious! How special to have this chronology to read in the years to come. I’m excited for you and your expanding family.

• Reply Anne April 16, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Hi Jean, Re leg cramps: I read that if you get a leg cramp lying in bed, immediately stretch your toes up toward the ceiling. I tried it and it really does work. Re: stranger patting: I hated it and always kept either my hands or a pocketbook in front of my bump, which made it difficult/impossible for “patters.”

• Reply Wendy April 16, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Is that the infamous white dress worn by Khatu? I love it regardless. I began sleeping on my left side as soon as I could. I too am a back sleeper, and knew I had to get use to sleeping on my side. I just propped a pillow under my belly for support. The body pillow never worked for me. Best part of pregnancy was the excitement of having a little bundle of love and the daily evening foot rubs that my hubby would give me. Only had to ask for it for about a week, until he realized I needed it every night (helps with the swelling). I slept with my legs slightly bent to prevent the leg cramps at night (slight fetal position).

• Reply kristen w. April 16, 2018 at 10:38 pm

if you don’t want to shell out extra cash for a “pregnancy” pillow, just use a blanket rolled up or an extra pillow to put under your belly while you sleep. that’s what i did.
    watch out for heartburn ! i was told by so many people that if you experience heartburn, it means that your baby will have a nice full head of hair when s/he’s born =] it was true for my first baby, but i think i managed to curb it when i had my other 2. anything with ginger in it – ginger ale, ginger tea, ginger candy, etc.
    nick’s pregnancy journal is hilarious !
    i remember feeling those flutters in my belly like an irregular heartbeat and i think that’s when the baby has hiccups =] i loved feeling the baby move and watching my naked belly move; it was so cool, yet weird (and alien-like) all at the same time !

• Reply Elsa April 17, 2018 at 5:22 am

Hi Jean,
    Congratulations for the coming baby! Will you reveal the gender before the end of pregnancy?
    Nick’s journal is so funny! I‘ll suggest my husband to write one for an eventual second baby. It‘s interesting to see the pregnancy through the eyes of the dad.
    I had similar symptoms as you during my pregnancy, especially bloating from 1st trimester to the last. Drinking a glass of water with a little spoon of baking soda helped a little (but no miracle), this remedy was also very helpful during the 3rd trimester when I suffered heartburn.
    I managed to sleep quite well on the left side, with a soft maternity pillow to support my belly and my right leg. My husband called that pillow «my lover». I also had a breastfeeding pillow which was shorter and more «solid». I think you can‘t use the same pillow for sleep and breastfeeding.

• Reply Tang April 17, 2018 at 8:02 am

The Snoogle pillow was my best friend! The bigger and more uncomfortable I got, the more it helped me sleep. Especially having it up against my back for support when I was had to side sleep.

• Reply Kelcy April 17, 2018 at 12:49 pm

I’m so happy for you Jean! Even though motherhood is the farthest thing from my mind right now, I’m excited to share in your happiness!

• Reply E April 17, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Thanks so much for sharing the update! As someone exactly your size but a few years younger, I really appreciate pregnancy info from you and frmheadtotoe b/c I’ve always been anxious about having children despite being very tiny in frame

I’m also struck by your description of chronic indigestion and bloating because it sounds a lot like me! I’ve been prone to very painful bloating since childhood. And even when it’s not painful, my belly still blows up like a balloon after any big meal—I know that everyone gets food babies, but mine are wildly disproportionate and have been since childhood… I’ve never seen anyone else with as much enlargment as me :p wondering if you have a similar story!!

• Reply May April 17, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Congrats! I’m so happy that you are halfway through! Your observations are really funny to read btw. Can’t wait to read more.

May || http://themoderness.com/

• Reply Christi April 17, 2018 at 7:06 pm

For sleep help, try Calms Forte ( homeopathic remedy) recommended to me by my midwife. I was “all natural” during pregnancy ( no coffee, caffeine , etc) and it worked great….along with my trusty pregnancy body pillow…and midnight chocolate milk guzzles. 🙂

• Reply Kim April 17, 2018 at 7:13 pm

You look beautiful as always, Jean. Regarding leg cramps, I can basically echo what Little Contessa wrote (above). This was taught to me by my dad’s PT, Dolly, and it sure has worked for us through the years:

How to Get Rid of a Cramp in the Calf:
    Gently push on the area of the calf that hurts, and keep doing so for 30 seconds. While pushing, move your foot to the opposite position; in other words, if your calf muscle hurts while your foot is flexed, extend the foot. Conversely, if your calf muscle hurts while your foot is extended, flex the foot.

If you end up gluten-free for the duration, here are some items that have saved me from diving head first off the wagon : 1) Mocha chocolate Kind bars (no after-taste!),, 2) tuna, mayo, and celery on (toasted) Udi Omega Flax and Fiber gluten-free bread, 3) Synder’s gluten-free pretzels (I honestly can’t taste a difference between these and the “gluten-filled” ones), 4) gluten-free chocolate chip cookies–some brands much better than others. And, if the pretzels get to be a bit dry for your taste, 5) goat milk kefir–as a pretzel dip. It’s supposedly healthier than cow’s milk kefir and contains more probiotics than yogurt–or at least that’s what I’ve read from multiple sources.

Very best wishes. Thanks as always for your enjoyable (and helpful) posts!

• Reply Cindy Chang April 18, 2018 at 2:06 am

It’s so much fun reading about your pregnancy journey! First time mom with a 17 month old here. I was also lucky enough not to get the dreaded morning sickness, but the indigestion was horrible in that first trimester and a little in the 2nd. And the leg cramps in the night were horrendous! I would wake up grabbing my calf nearly each night, which would startle my husband awake. He always helped me massage it away. I wouldn’t say I’m a full-on back sleeper, but I do like variety, so sticking to one side sucked. Those pregnancy pillows didn’t work for me. I tried the Snoogle, but it was too thick for me. I ended up with pillows surrounding me. One for my back, one for the belly, and one between the knees.

Good luck with everything!

• Reply Maureen April 18, 2018 at 7:05 pm

You look amazing Jean. Cute not pregnant and still so beautiful preggo! I can’t wait to see your little one but in the mean time enjoy your pregnancy regardless of symptoms. Time does fly by and it is unbelievable that you are already halfway done.

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Talisha Rosen-Kellogg April 18, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Love Nick’s pregnancy journal! Very funny!

• Reply Angie Fajardo April 19, 2018 at 9:23 am

Sounds like you are having an amazing pregnancy! I’m so happy for you! Enjoy pregnancy, it’s such a beautiful experience. Reading your blog brought back amazing pregnancy memories, thanks for sharing. 😊

• Reply Tiffany @ happythankfulhopeful April 19, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Re: hard time breathing – what worked best for me was lying on my side, hugging a body pillow, with a “normal pillow” slightly wedged under my back on the other side, so that my position was supported. To switch sides is a bit of a production. 🙂

At about 30 weeks it was too much and I needed to sleep in a “reclining position” – with the use of 4 pillows (!) A folded body pillow under a normal pillow behind Ku back, and a normal pillow under each of my ATM’s. Basically a diy recliner. 🙂 apparently some ladies actually sleep in a lazy boy! Good luck and congrats!! <3 Tiffany
    P.s. you are absolutely glowing!

• Reply Katie April 20, 2018 at 12:58 am

Nick’s notes almost had me crying with laughter. Glad you are both retaining a sense of humor 🙂

I’m 35 weeks and currently using a wedge-shaped pillow to support my belly (brand is Hiccapop). That said, I wish I’d gotten a body pillow – not the u-shaped kind but just a long bolster type. When I nap (alone), I stuff one pillow under my belly, at least one between my legs, and drape my arm over another. I’m pretty sure I could do all of those with one big pillow.

• Reply Also petite April 20, 2018 at 8:35 am

You look great! Can you do posts on work clothes for your new shape? Thanks!

• Reply Ji April 20, 2018 at 8:16 pm

I am so really happy for you! The baby is staying well in your belly <3 I just found I am pregnant as well(this week) and I have planned trip back to Hawaii from Korea(9hours flight) next week.
    I am bit nervous about super early pregnancy flight but hoping everything goes well. When you first started IVF, many of my friends were trying IVF and I was also considering (due to age) that I could relate to so many levels. So lovely to see this is going toward the happy ending and I hope mine goes as smooth as yours! Thank you so much for sharing your personal story! You never know how much hope and happiness you have shared while you are in good or bad! Love you!

• Reply Ariel April 21, 2018 at 12:23 am

Jean,

Congrats on getting to the halfway mark! Gender reveal??

I tried the Boppy and the U-shaped ones on amazon. I loved the U-shaped one (which I lovingly nicknamed TARS from Interstellar)… but hated the Boppy one. The trick that worked for me: First, I smashed the neck portion in so it would be softer and flatter. Second, I made sure that I used whichever side I wasn’t “hugging” and wedged it in slightly under my butt and back so it would hold me in. I hope that makes sense. But it really helped me to have support behind me so I could lean on it as I slept. (So I was slightly diagonally facing up instead of being perfectly on my side.) (PS… having support behind the back is also amazing when breastfeeding in the side-lying position.)

• Reply Penny April 22, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Ppl are extra nice to pregnant ladies. Men and women opened doors for me, let me cut in line for the bathroom, gave me their seat on the bus, received smiles from total strangers, . . . It s wonderful. I miss being pregnant!

• Reply Daniel Woods April 24, 2018 at 4:14 am

Hi Jean! Congratulations again on your pregnancy! I’m not sure if you plan to learn the gender or not but you should be getting the anatomy scan anytime now. I think every mom will get benefit from here with these information and experience that are you shared here. Thanks for the sharing such a helpful article.

• Reply Tara May 12, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Congratulations! As a mom of three I found that the pregnancy body pillow did not work for me (5’1”) The wedge or a flat regular/small pillow work better to support my bump. I also put one between my legs when sleeping on the side. I was also a back sleeper but my dr said it was ok to be on your back as long as you are slightly tilted and not completely flat. So I slept with a pillow on one side so that I would be elevated. For the bloating I would suggest taking a probiotic daily!