Health & Wellness // Three things I want to do more of

winter workout gym clothes nike womens petite fashion

Nike Free Flyknit sneakers 5 on sale! (also love these for more cushioning), Epic Lux Running Crops sz XS on sale!(also in black), Medium support sports bra sz XS c/o, Nike cropped jacket sz XS c/o

I’m not typically one to write down resolutions, but with our continued hopes of starting a family this year, I wanted to lay out some goals to help get my health and wellness to a better place. Instead of cutting back or doing less of something (which can sometimes feel negative), I want to focus on three areas where I can do more!

Experiment More

As some of you know, my fitness routine for years consisted of running and doing workout videos at home. I’ve been avoiding classes, since in the few spin classes that I have done, I always feel like the most uncoordinated person in the room who ends up being singled out with extra “encouragement” from the instructor. This year I want to overcome that public workout shyness and try a variety of classes to find the right ones for me. My friends have been encouraging me to do a few Orangetheory and SLT (strengthen, lengthen, tone) sessions with them, or I might try a different spin program!

And while it may not make you any more athletic, I find that having chic, well-fitting workout clothes always lends a little extra confidence boost for exercising in public. I’m partnering with Nike to share a few comfortable pieces that you’ll want to reach for on repeat!

• These running crops are petite-friendly and have several little features that I love. The higher waist already fits me well, but there’s a hidden drawstring for adjustments, two inner front pockets, and a secure zippered back center pocket. The Epic Lux material stays dry and ventilated during runs, and is a nice, flattering medium weight fabric.

• I’ve raved in previous posts about the comfy Nike Free sneaker line. My Free Flyknit sneakers (on sale!) are made of a thinner, knit material that’s light as air. Since the material stretches, I went half size down compared to my other Nikes. Nick lives in his men’s Flyknits and especially likes them on airplanes (when your feet get all bloated) and for lots of walking around while traveling.

• For more support, I also tried on these LunarEpic low flyknit sneakers and loved the thicker cushioning and the quick slip-on style. I was told these are better for longer distance running and more high-impact workouts. Compared to the Free flyknit sneakers, I needed half size up. All the colors are priced differently online, with some on major sale (the “wolf grey” is nearly 40% off)!

• For an everyday workout tank, this one is a great value for under $20 (I took sz XS). The material is cool and breathable in the summer, and I like it for layering in the winter.

boston blogger fitness classes workout clothing
nike free sneakers womens running shoes

Eat More…SELECTIVELY

If you follow my Insta-stories, you know I love to eat. But I’m often guilty of filling up on foods that have little nutritional value. When Nick and I aren’t traveling, our goal every Sunday morning is to plan out at least three home-cooked dinners for the week, incorporating more whole grains, iron, fiber, and good fats. Some of our diet changes so far include subbing jasmine brown rice for our once-staple white rice, cooking regularly with lentils (very nutritious and filling) which we rarely used to eat, and starting my mornings with oatmeal with a dollop of coconut butter topped with cacao nibs (delish!).

The photos in this post were taken at Jugos, our favorite neighborhood juice bar where I often treat myself after a run. I love that their smoothies are not too sweet, and pack in a ton of fresh ingredients. If you want something savory, their chicken salad with avocado on multigrain toast is so flavorful and my absolute favorite!

nike womens running clothes petite workout outfit
jugos south end boston juice smoothie healthy food cafe

Reset More

I’m the type of person who has a hard time turning off work mode. But I’m forcing myself to set aside time for mental unwinding, and both Nick and I have banned using our cell phones in bed (such a bad habit that usually ends up going down a digital rabbit hole until 2 am!).

I’ve done acupuncture a few times and would love to continue it monthly this year. Although I can’t speak for sure yet regarding any physical benefits, I do find it very relaxing! I like having the blocked out time to discuss wellness concerns with my acupuncturist, and then completely disconnect during the session. I dread needles more than the average person, but the ones used for acupuncture are hair-thin. After they’re inserted you don’t feel them much if at all, so I usually end up just enjoying a quick nap!

nike running pants workout leggings for petite women

What are some of your tips or goals for better physical health and overall wellness? I’d love to hear!

Thank you to Nike and Shopstyle for partnering on this post.

49 thoughts on “Health & Wellness // Three things I want to do more of

• Reply Jackie January 14, 2018 at 8:35 pm

I also started Orange Theory with my work friends earlier this month, and I love it so far. During the floor session, it really drives me to do something different every class, and I am enjoying this new challenge. Last year, I exercised every other day consistently. But I often did the workout routine that I am good at, thus my body got used to it quick and did not get the most result out of my time invested. FYI, Orange Theory has dress code and you need to cover your “tummy” area so that you don’t sweat on equipments excessively.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite January 14, 2018 at 8:50 pm

That makes sense about the “coverage” and is great to know in advance!

• Reply Steph Y January 14, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Jean, great post! Just be careful. I used to think brown rice versions were healthier too but you are better off sticking to your white rice due to arsenic content.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite January 14, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Sadly there is always something in articles about how things once touted as healthy are no longer : / I think we just have to have everything in moderation. I was told soaking and rinsing rice repeatedly before cooking helps reduce some of the toxins – who knows! I usually use a brown-white mix in congee and might switch to that for moderation.

• Reply Carla Krae January 14, 2018 at 11:03 pm

It’s the form of arsenic that’s a problem. Or not. There’s arsenic that’s poison and arsenic that’s naturally detectable as part of organic stuff. Which is what everybody freaked out on apple juice for a while about. But no one was dying from apple juice.

• Reply SusuQ January 14, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Hi Jean, love your site and style. These sound like great resolutions. Wishing you the best of luck with everything this year.

Just wondering, have you tried the barefoot dreams cozychic lite youth line? I’m a touch taller and larger size than you and the large fits perfectly. The adult line tends to be overwhelming on my frame. I love the youth calypso.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite January 14, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Hi there ~ actually I haven’t tried it, so thanks for the tip! I can only do the circle style in their adult ones as the others are definitely overwhelming. Do you order the kids from Amazon or directly from their site?

• Reply SusuQ January 14, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Yup! Directly from Amazon. I love free easy returns. The calypso is the only one that has the bamboo blend…the rest are all microfiber. I’ve been living in it this winter.

• Reply Shelly January 14, 2018 at 9:18 pm

I love the idea of positively doing more of something rather than being negative about what you need to cut! I try to look at my food in that manner too – focusing on what I should eat versus what I should not. (Though that said, I may be making an easy excuse for my bad habits of french fries and wine!) I also haven’t been a big workout class person in the past but about a year ago I tried Pure Barre. After looking like a dork for a couple months I now feel so much stronger and love it. Good luck with whatever you find and make sure to give it a few classes before you decide how you feel about it! Thanks for all you share on your blog – I’m a long time reader and a new commenter!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite January 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Hi Shelly ~
      But what’s life without french fries and wine!? I just got an air fryer and have been experimenting with making fries with minimal oil … it’s def not the same, but not bad.

I took ballet for years as a teen (sadly never became an ounce more graceful or coordinated) and love the idea of Pure Barre for strengthening. I’ve only done some online barre videos at home with a chair as my “barre,” but would love to try some classes finally. Glad to hear it’s been yielding good results for you!!

• Reply Mizeats January 14, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Love this post, Jean! Good things to incorporate in our lives…I agree that health should be a priority. To address this, I am trying to include more organic vegetables in my diet in addition to worrying less about things that are out of my control.

• Reply Mizeats January 15, 2018 at 12:49 am

I had no idea that I worried so much until my boyfriend pointed it out! Lol :/

• Reply Carol Foster January 14, 2018 at 9:38 pm

I love the idea of adding workout clothing and thinking about the best fits. I orders the tennis shoes and I am hopeful for a good result. I too, struggle with putting work away and moving towards something for myself. I think a good (cute) journal find might give me that type A need for organizing and planning so that the workouts happen and I feel accomplished as well…Journal ideas???

• Reply La Bijoux Bella | by mia January 14, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Beautiful post … feeling healthy and looking good for the start of the fabulous new year is something we can best reward to ourselves! Very inspirational post as always! 😘👍🏼😘

🌸🍃LA BIJOUX BELLA 🌸🍃

• Reply MyHanh January 14, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Hey Jean!
    Happy New Year! Didn’t know Jugos opened another location! Will have to check them out. Thank you for sharing you and Nick’s journey about growing your family. (Sending you so much love!)
    I also find that doing more of something has been healthier for me than eliminating; I tried doing a few no sugar days but then felt like a failure when I couldn’t follow through on given days. Another reminder, as you’ve said, that moderation is key! And be loving to myself when there are days that my body says– “indulge me lady!”.
    In terms of working out, I work out at Achieve Fitness in Somerville. I was actually a member years ago, left, and tried other gyms and classes. But alas, I’ve returned. Their classes are consistent, challenging, and fun! They have a supportive and inclusive environment. And Lauren, Jason, and their team are really fantastic.
    Anyway, to a new year of stellar content!
    Be well! xo,

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog January 14, 2018 at 10:46 pm

These are awesome wellness goals, Jean! I want to incorporate more of them myself in the new year as well. I love the idea of resetting more. Here’s to a better, healthier us in 2018! 🙂 ❤️

• Reply Janki January 14, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Here’s what I’m doing. This year anytime I’m feeling stressed or overwhelmed I’m going to eithe exercise or start cleaning up- two things I hate doing but always calm me down in some way or makes my world better .
    I am doing something else new- 2018 is my year of saying “no”. After all this time as the one who agrees to do things (dog sit, volunteer as room mom, stay late to help that project), I am saying no more. I realize this is a big part of why I’m stressed- taking on too much and then getting mad that people aren’t “grateful enough”. This doesn’t mean I won’t help. But finally relaxing that I don’t always have to be the one to do it.
    I loved your food comment too. We’ve started the Home meal kits and really enjoy having the chance to cook without me having to plan.

• Reply Carla Krae January 14, 2018 at 11:01 pm

I’ve reached the age where my body doesn’t automatically stay trim, so I need to get out walking more. Most of my pants don’t fit! It was prohibitive for a long time because of pain. My heels are very bony and sensitive. I tried on shoes at Skechers for an hour and a half before finding one style that worked for me! (they had a sale too good to pass up in December)

If funds allow, I do hope to find more shoes so no particular pair takes too much wear. I have 2 to switch between now. It’s SO hard to find 5.5 mediums in a store to try on! Too many brands make you order 5.5 or just start at 6 now, while I’ve been the same shoe size for 26 years.

• Reply Jessica | Petite Style Script January 14, 2018 at 11:57 pm

I love these things to add in 2018! I highly recommend Orange Theory Fitness – I’ve been a member for 1.5 years and am not a runner by any means. I continue to Power Walk at high inclines and concentrate on my row times. I also enjoy The Bar Method and often use their online membership to fit in sessions at home. Also, I have to say I went to Jugos 3 times during a 3-day trip to Boston because of your recommendations and their amazing fruit smoothie options!
    -Jessica

• Reply bonjourchiara January 15, 2018 at 1:26 am

I”m trying to select my food too, picking options that are really good for me, my body and my soul! xx

• Reply Em Chiu January 15, 2018 at 2:15 am

Also, never hurts to take a pre natal bc it’s just great for overall health for women. Also, fish. If you get an InsaPot,cooking will be so much easier and not so intimidating!

• Reply The pink pineapple January 15, 2018 at 4:38 am

Great tips,thanks for sharing

• Reply Michela January 15, 2018 at 5:23 am

Really useful post!
    Miki x

• Reply Mireia January 15, 2018 at 6:43 am

Absolutely love it!

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses January 15, 2018 at 8:42 am

I love this Jean! I’m definitely hoping to set my sights on some higher fitness goals this year! I love your goals!

I hope you have a great Monday!
    Michael

• Reply Emily S. January 15, 2018 at 10:26 am

“I always feel like the most uncoordinated person in the room who ends up being singled out with extra ‘encouragement’ from the instructor.” — Yes! That’s me, too, and it’s one of the main reasons I’ve avoided classes. I’m really impressed by your bravery and I hope you’ll give us an update on how it goes for you. Good luck!

• Reply Jae January 15, 2018 at 11:21 am

Cute sneakers! I’m trying to reduce the level of my sugar intake. I’m also learning so much about the plant-based diet and it’s been so interesting!

• Reply Shannon Mahaney January 15, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Great goals, Jean! I used to hate workout classes at one point in my life but I do yoga now and I love it. My studio is friendly ad inclusive even if you are a beginner and are feeling a little out of place.

My health and wellness goals consist of going to yoga more and practicing at home when I can’t make it to the studio. Avoiding dairy as much as I can. And going to the primary care doctor…I put it off every year!

• Reply Jandrew January 15, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Jean I am no fan of New Years Resolutions, usually because they are about deprivation! The greatest point to your article is to think about adding not taking away ! Attitude is everything!
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part

• Reply Kitty C January 15, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Just bought a pair of the Epic Lux Running Crops – they look great (and I loved the Zella leggings your previously recommended)! Thanks!

• Reply Michelle X Pan January 15, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Love the idea of not actively taking away as a part of new years resolutions, I think it’s definitely much healthier. Also, I second Shelly’s comment above about barre. I used to hate any form of working out, but I started going to various barre classes around my area and I absolutely love them (despite having no dance experience or any sort of athleticism, lol). Your dance background will probably help out there as well 🙂 Happy 2018!

– Michelle –
    MICHELLE X PAN | A surrealist fashion blog

• Reply Stacey January 15, 2018 at 4:20 pm

These are all such great things. I used to only do cardio, but a little over a year ago I added in lifting. I was always so scared to lift because I didn’t want to do something wrong, but now I love it.

xoxo
    Stacey

• Reply Jennifer January 15, 2018 at 4:34 pm

I enjoyed reading your health & wellness goals! I’m definitely inspired to do the same too, especially in the wellness area. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Reply Carla Krae January 15, 2018 at 5:35 pm

With health in mind, one thing petites need to be aware of is osteoporosis prevention because we have a higher risk, and the earlier you’re in the habit of caring for your bones, the better. As of age 30, women start losing bone mass unless they’re combating that with nutrition and weight-bearing exercise.

• Reply Cynthia January 15, 2018 at 6:50 pm

I would also recommend checking out Classpass, if it’s available in your area. I’m currently using it right now to check out a few studios in the area before fully committing to a certain studio and their workout regimen.

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia January 15, 2018 at 11:45 pm

Was reading your post and other people’s comments as well. I work out at OTF as well. I love it and didn’t know about the dress code. Though, I dress modestly at the gym as well. I’m a athleisure junkie so this is right up my alley either way!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Reply Stephanie January 16, 2018 at 12:02 am

Happy New Year Jean! Can you write a blog post on running? I am trying to start but am embarrassed to go to the gym.. the Boston winters are also too brutal to endure.

• Reply Living Life Petite January 16, 2018 at 1:51 am

I feel this is so much. I was an athlete my whole life and then all of a sudden I wasn’t anymore. It’s been hard to find a way to bring daily activity back into my life again! These are three great ideas though of how I can start living a healthy lifestyle again!
    XOXO
    Charlie
    livinglifepetite.com

• Reply Elizabeth January 16, 2018 at 2:41 am

New workout clothes always makes me feel more motivated! <3 🙂 Loving this super chic set that you're wearing, Jean!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Charlie January 16, 2018 at 6:36 am

Hi Jean!

I think the key is finding the right fitness classes. I’ve had instructors single me out but after correcting my form, I feel like I am working the area harder and better (despite the awkwardness). I just tell myself I didn’t come here to workout incorrectly wasting my time. 😅

Good luck! Love your style here. Love your blog and Instagram. I’ll be sad to not see much of the unhealthy good foods anymore. Lol.

Cheers! This will be our year. 😊
    Wendy

• Reply Emily January 16, 2018 at 9:12 am

This is so great! Love your health and wellness goals, especially as they touch on both physical and mental health. Thanks so much for sharing.

For the experimenting, have you ever tried virtual personal training? I live in Boston now but my personal trainer is a former trainer from the TV show The Biggest Loser, and he teaches online in addition to in person. He makes it so I’m able to do sessions from my own living room, and in real time (not videos!). I highly recommend it as I don’t like to pay for the gym and am also shy about classes. He usually is $30/session, but is doing a promotion currently – $30 for unlimited sessions for the rest of the month! Bit.ly/a2fitnesspro – would love to hear what you think!!he can also do groups with your friends 🙂

• Reply Kay Nguyen January 16, 2018 at 9:13 am

Love this list, I need to do these more for my fitness too! Thanks for sharing <3

• Reply Maureen January 16, 2018 at 9:59 am

Great goals for a healthier path. Love your sneaks! I try to stay motivated by thinking of what the gym does for me. While I love the physical transformation that I can accomplish, what really pushes me to go is the stress relief effect as well as feeling accomplished. So I think figuring out why you would want to work out really helps put that goal in place and keeps you honest in my opinion.

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Jessica January 16, 2018 at 11:11 am

So cute! Love those leggings!

• Reply YZ Chan January 16, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Great goals! As for me, I’m trying to cut down my sugar intake and be more active. It’s a struggle, especially for the former, but well worth it in the end. 🙂

• Reply Bela Anzu January 16, 2018 at 10:17 pm

I’ve seen cacao nibs and wasn’t sure how to incorporate it into meals, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I’ll have to try it. I’ve been sprinkling chia seeds into my cereal and yogurt because it has omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E (being proactive with my skin!). I like chia seeds because it’s flavourless and easy to incorporate into meals.

I also like to give myself a facial with/without a mask because it helps me to relax in the evenings and the mask rehydrates my skin, which is especially beneficial in the winter. I recently heard on the radio that facials help people look more youthful.

• Reply Dare Mighty January 17, 2018 at 2:07 am

Have you tried Haiga rice? It’s healthy without the brown rice taste – you can find it at Japanese markets. My husband won’t eat brown, so after an extensive search – we agreed on Haiga rice. Keep inspiring us 🙂

• Reply Narhee January 17, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Love these goals! I definitely need to do more in all of these areas especially when I’m back at school next week! Trying to work towards a healthier lifestyle when I’m at college.

Narhee | Made in Mauve

• Reply Debby January 18, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Hello Jean – Yay for regular acupuncture treatments! I am a Chinese Medicine student and love seeing that you will commit to regular sessions. I myself do weekly treatments at my school clinic and its done wonders for my health – increased energy, less fatigue, decreased stress, more focus, etc.

I also have a blog focused on Chinese Medicine-focused wellness that I am kickstarting in this new year. Its: debbyzhu.com if you’d ever like to visit. 🙂