Nick’s 2017 Gift / Coat Guide for Guys

New York Palace Hotel Christmas Tree gossip girlThis is a guest post by Nick, husband of Jean:

I’ve done a few of these gift guides over the years and have come to realize something. This whole thing is a wonderfully self-serving endeavor. Sure, some of you might get a few gift ideas for the men in your lives. But really, at the end of the day, I’m the big winner here. I’ve managed to sneak quite a few items into these lists only to have them magically end up under the tree. So, without further adieu, here it is: my annual wish—uh, I mean, your annual Gift Guide for Guys.

When Neutral is Great

I have a camel topcoat, and I wear it wayToo. Much. At this rate, the cuffs might soon look like they got caught in a paper shredder. So while I don’t need a new coat now, I will eventually. And there are a few classic, decently priced options currently available that a brother, boyfriend, or husband would appreciate.

Topman Classic Fit Overcoat – I have a special love for Topman, if only because Justin Timberlake’s stylist once complimented my bomber jacket. I can’t fit into many of their “European-cut” clothes (turns out, your thighs do not get slimmer with age), but I have had luck with their outerwear. The taupe color is a nice alternative to camel, and the fit is a little more “contemporary” (i.e. with a hint of slouch and less fitted at the waist). For coat length reference, I’m 5 ft. 8 in. (and a quarter!).

topman wool topcoat mens stylish winter coat guide

Club Monaco Topcoat – The priciest of the bunch at retail (except it’s on sale with extra 30% off right now), but man does it feel nice. The fabric is this fantastically smooth brushed wool and cashmere something, something, something. I don’t know, I lost my train of thought just thinking about it. Sizing on this coat fits like Theory and runs slightly smaller than the J.Crew one (two images down). I’m trying on a 36 but am in-between that and a 38.

club monaco camel wool coat mens winter

J.Crew Ludlow Topcoat (4 colors; sizes selling quickly at 40% off) – Same signature Ludlow cut as their suit jackets, which are my go-to for a good fit off the rack. I normally take a 36 Short in their blazers, but I’m trying on a 36 Regular here since I’d want the sleeves longer on a coat. A classic blend of 95% wool, 5% cashmere.

jcrew mens ludlow wool coat outerwear review guide

J.Crew Ludlow Coat sz 38 regular, JCF elbow patch flannel shirt on sale!navy walker vest (great for layering), Nike Free Flyknit sneakers on sale!

Gap Crombie Coat (extra 20% off w/ GIFTNOW) – Material is a darker brown and nearly 90% wool with 10% cashmere. Sizing runs a little big and is less fitted, which could be good for those with a more athletic build. Trying on sz S:

mens winter outfits gap camel coat review

Ok, that’s many more words than I intended to write about coats. But I wanted to do it justice because it’s a style that can be sartorially intimidating at first. I know. I used to be #TeamParka all the way. But now I spend at least half my time on #TeamTopcoat. Consider me coat-verted.

“Hey Google, Do Something Useful”

Google Home / Amazon Alexa Accessories – Chances are, the guy you’re shopping for got a smarthome speaker device (or ten) on Black Friday. But without any additional complementary gadgets, that Alexa or Google Home is just an expensive kitchen timer that tells you the weather. Compatible light bulbs and outlets are an easy place to start, but my favorite is hooking it up to the TV with Chromecast for Google (or an Amazon Fire stick, if you have an Alexa). This way, even when I can’t find the remote (i.e. always), all I have to do to watch my favorite channel is say, “Hey Google, play Extra Petite Blog videos on YouTube on the TV.”

fleece lined shirt jacket nordstrom mens

A Shirt…Jacket

Lined Flannel Shirt Jacket – Shirt jackets are tricky. It’s a delicate balance between looking refined and looking like you belong in an oil refinery. This one nails it. It’s got a nicely structured heather gray outer, and the torso is lined in a fuzzy, shearling-esque fleece. And $99 is a great value for a shirt jacket, especially considering a lot of the other nice-looking options are really expensive. Trying on a M (would prefer a S) which was all that was left in-store.

This GIft Sucks

Here is a weird confession: sometimes I lay awake at night thinking about upgrading my vacuum cleaner. I know, I know. Of all the gadgets a guy could lust after, why a vacuum? But we have the Dyson V6, and I love it. It makes me want to clean. And I thought it was all I could ever want in a vacuum. But then I saw the Dyson V8. And I started to wonder, what does that feel like? What do those extra 2 V’s get you? V8 has to be better than V6, right?! After all, I am man; vroom vroom; me want more power, etc., etc. Either one is a good option.

best phone touchscreen leather gloves Ugg mens

STAY IN TOUCH

After over a decade together, Jean finally convinced me that I can’t wear oversized Burton nylon snowboard mittens with every cold weather outfit. If you’re also not a fan of walking next to a guy sporting a puffy boxing glove look, here are some gift options. Bonus: These work on touchscreen phones, so no need to de-glove in order to aimlessly scroll through Facebook.

Club Room Leather Touch Gloves – These cashmere-lined gloves in cognac brown or black are often on sale at Macy’s. And my god, the leather is so buttery you could bake it into a croissant. The sizing runs a little small, so I’ll take a large, please.

UGG Tech Gloves – You know how you always want to just stick your hands in a new pair of UGG boots and leave them there forever? No, just me? Well, their tech gloves let me live out that fantasy AND they look great in both a supple, non-shiny black leather or a wool blend. Even though they’re thicker (and I assume warmer), the fingertip touchscreen functionality still worked well enough for me to check how badly my fantasy football team was losing during my very rigorous in-store test. Runs true to size – Medium fit me well.

Fun fact: they are called UGG boots because every time you try them on it makes you go “UGH!…I did not want to like these but they feel so damn good.”

I Heard These Are Good

You know the old proverb: man cannot live on one pair of headphones alone. Ok, maybe it’s not a real proverb but you can always use another—a pair for the office, for working out, for walking the dog. You get the idea.

I’ve heard good things about the wireless Apple AirPods. But if you’re not into the futuristic tribal jewelry style, I use and would recommend the Bose SoundSport wireless headphones, which, confusingly actually still have one wire at the back connecting the two ear pieces (but perfect for the guy who can’t even keep a pair of socks together). They also come with several ear mould attachments to make sure they stay in comfortably.

Family Fun

Ancestry.com or 23andme – Being a mixed race baby, I’ve been wanting to try one of these DNA family ancestry kits for a while now, and what better time than the holidays! You could even get multiple kits for other members of your family. Nothing quite gets you in the holiday spirit like sitting around the fireplace together and spitting in a cup.

Also see Nick’s prior year gift guides for men!

30 thoughts on “Nick’s 2017 Gift / Coat Guide for Guys

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog December 13, 2017 at 1:19 pm

The coats look so nice. Nick is a stylish guy for sure! 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply sindy December 13, 2017 at 2:00 pm

So nice to know what gifts to get for guys! All those jackets look very nice! Now if only all guys were tall…

I think this is irrelevant but it’d be so nice to have a “Petite” Guy blog! My boyfriend is 5’4 (he says 5’4.5) and it is such a pain to find things that fit him whether it be button down shirts with sleeves too long or pants with inseams too long and then jackets with sleeves and hem too long! Trying to find a nice and warm jacket (non-puffer/bubble down jackets) for him is, in my opinion, impossible.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite December 13, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I think that men (just like women) can benefit from a few alterations on classic pieces that they will wear again and again! Not sure of his build or weight, but for example J.Crew makes down to a 34 short coat and then the total length or sleeves could be additionally shortened as a standard alteration by any tailor. The coat sleeves on their “short” was actually pretty short, more so than their blazers. H&M men also makes down to a pretty small size online (I shopped there successfully before for a guy friend who is under 5’5″) and that can also be shortened in the sleeves!

• Reply Sindy December 22, 2017 at 2:39 am

Interesting! I might just check out the H&M Men’s section next time (my guy does not like shopping. Unfortunately). They do have some nice classic pieces from time to time.

We have checked out the JCrew Men’s sIt’s in Soho (NYC here) and the men wool coats are beautiful, feel luxurious and very high quality (I’m so jealous) but they are too long for my guy. I did not check if they carry short sizes in the store. This makes me want to go back for another look!

I have yet to dive into getting my own clothes tailored even though I really should as a petite lady (5’2) entering the big 30 soon!

Thank you for the tips and advice!

Happy holidays to you and yours!

• Reply Ankita Bardhan December 13, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Nick looks great in the coats! I have to get gifts for my brothers & male friends and your post came in absolutely right time!

xx
    Ankita

• Reply Helen December 13, 2017 at 3:38 pm

This is so great and perfect timing as I’m scrambling around looking for gifts for my boyfriend. I really like your style, and your sense of humor makes it so fun to read. Could you also perhaps do an anniversary/birthday version of outfits and gifts/gestures that you would like?

• Reply Mireia December 13, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Reply Demetria December 13, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I was already finished shopping for my boyfriend, but now I think he needs the TOPMAN overcoat too! Now my ten points days at Nordstrom won’t go to waste. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Demetria December 13, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I was finished shopping for my boyfriend, but now he needs this Topman overcoat! Now my ten points day at Nordstrom won’t go to waste. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Kackie Cohen December 13, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Love this! So many great ideas- I’ve heard from other guys who were given ancestral DNA kits as gifts that they thought it was really great. Thanks Nick!

• Reply Sdninou December 13, 2017 at 4:52 pm

This post made llaugh so hard,, you are hilarious,,
    I enjoyed reading this post ,,

• Reply Jen Chae December 13, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Love Nick’s suggestions! We’ve actually already picked up 2 copies of 23andme for family members this year after getting them for our dads last year. Partially a selfish gift because it gives better insight to our own genetics! I’m gonna have to look into that Chromecast accessory though, especially with Aria always stealing our remote! 😉

• Reply Lynn December 13, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Oh Nick! You are hilarious! Also great gift guide. Thanks so much!

• Reply Jon December 13, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Hey Nick!

Love your guide. My girlfriend works at New Balance and suggested I check out this sweater.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. I completely relate to the vacuum thing.

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia December 14, 2017 at 1:01 am

Loving this! Def a good guide for picking out something for a guy!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA

• Reply Elizabeth December 14, 2017 at 2:25 am

Thanks for putting together this great and super funny guide, Nick! Really enjoyed the read and the gift ideas 😀 Guys are notoriously hard to shop for, so this definitely helps to narrow it down!

Elizabeth

• Reply Sophia December 14, 2017 at 2:32 am

So funny! You made me laugh out loud (not just the type of laugh where you breathe out of your nose). Thanks for the advice and happy holidays to you and Jean!

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses December 14, 2017 at 6:46 am

I am in love with all of these coats and things! I’m totally after a good topcoat, and I seem to go through them on my hunt way too fast! Thanks for the great recommendations Nick and Jean!

I hope you’re having a lovely Thursday!
    Michael

• Reply Shannon Mahaney December 14, 2017 at 10:53 am

Nick, you’re hilarious! I loved all the recommendations from this post. My husband is a bit of a headphone hoarder. I find them all over the house. I’ll open a drawer in the kitchen and pull out headphones.

• Reply Em December 15, 2017 at 2:32 pm

The Sperry boots are cheaper now on sperry.com than the link to Macy’s .

• Reply Jandrew December 15, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Being one of your few regular male commentators I appreciate this post ! The coats on Nick are great !
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part

• Reply Mireia December 15, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Absolutely love it!

• Reply Elizabeth December 16, 2017 at 4:10 am

Loved this coat guide so much 🙂

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply lanesha December 16, 2017 at 6:42 am

this is so good. I am so impressed with the transition between these looks. thank you!!

• Reply Petite Teacher December 16, 2017 at 3:26 pm

What a fun piece of writing an what beautiful photos. I really enjoyed this post and I think it is awesome that Nick supports you this way. Happy weekend to both of you. Love, Lieske

• Reply Ping December 16, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Great post Nick!! Tim asked for a vacuum cleaner for Xmas this year 😂

• Reply Mariana December 17, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Great suggestions! Thank you!

• Reply Amanda L December 19, 2017 at 10:57 am

Hilarious as always! And full of really on point suggestions, too. I always buy something off this list every year for my husband!

• Reply Jen December 21, 2017 at 2:51 am

Anyone else laugh at coat-verted? Haha, thanks for the post dude!

• Reply Wendy December 23, 2017 at 12:44 am

Love the coats! Thanks for the suggestions! For reference, how tall are you? Hoping to get something from your list for my husband!