• How to Layer // Festive Winter Workwear Edition

winter holiday professional work office party outfit

BR pearl sweatshirt xxsp c/o, houndstooth pants 00p c/o, block-heel pumps sz 5 c/o, button-up tunic shirt xxsp, pom beanie, plaid scarf – entire outfit is on on sale!

Holiday dressing is the perfect opportunity to try some mixing and matching. I’m partnering with Banana Republic to share how to layer & incorporate a little embellishment, a little pattern, and of course, lots of mixed textures into your outfits this season! They’re having 40% off everything right now (discount appears in cart), with an extra 20% off cold weather items ending tonight (Monday) night!

This layered look is one of my recent favorites. If the sweatshirt is too casual for your office, you can swap in a crewneck sweater and add a statement necklace (or velvet ribbon tied in a bow) underneath the collar!

plaid pants pearl sweatshirt outfit petite fashion blog
    winter outfit ideas plaid scarf petite fashion

Layering Made Easy

1. Start with a Staple
    My base layer is this classic button-up in a slightly longer length (perfect for wearing un-tucked over leggings or for layering under cropped pieces).

2. Play with Pattern
    The houndstooth pattern on these Sloan pants adds a little something extra, but the navy / gray color and small print size keep it professional for work. They’re a little loose on me, but I wanted to show you guys how they fit off the rack, before I wash and dry them (to shrink) like with my other Sloan pants. These are labeled machine washable, not dry clean only like my solid colored ones! p.s. I’ve been waiting for a camel / tan color in these pants, and just ordered this pair on sale!

3. Add a Festive Crewneck
    This sweatshirt combines a casual, comfy piece with elevated little details. The cut is cropped in length with sloped shoulders, so a size up would’ve worked for me as well. I do wish the edges were finished instead of raw cut. Note this item page doesn’t say petite or regular, but after you add it to cart it should indicate petite.

4. Mix in Another Print
    The trick is to mix and match prints of very different sizes – i.e. the small houndstooth on my pants + the generous checks on this scarf!

5. Top with Texture
    This entire outfit is fairly neutral, but I love the interesting medley of knits, faux fur, plus the textured leather on the shoes! These block-heeled pumps are made of a slightly pebbled, coated leather with just a hint of shine, and are very comfortable out of the box.

navy block heeled pumps banana republic
    winter workwear office clothing petite women fashion
    Thank you to Banana Republic for partnering on this post.

[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2939454″]

26 thoughts on “How to Layer // Festive Winter Workwear Edition

• Reply Elizabeth December 4, 2017 at 10:53 pm

I love the little pearl details on that sweatshirt! It’s very subtle, but the embellishments still stand out! 🙂 <3 This work outfit is so chic and perfect for the winter!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Keri December 4, 2017 at 10:54 pm

wow, the colors and patterns of this outfit work so well together! So polished and put together (as always)!

Enclothed Cognition

• Reply Living Life Petite December 5, 2017 at 1:39 am

Oh my gosh this gave me so much inspiration for my winter work wardrobe! This is such a chic look!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog December 5, 2017 at 3:09 am

Thank you for the tips! Mixing in with another print is a good one.
      You look gorgeous! ❤

• Reply Vicky T. December 5, 2017 at 3:16 am

Great tips for layering. I also love the large pearl details on that sweater

• Reply Helen December 5, 2017 at 3:26 am

I love the colors of this outfit! Those trousers are very, very cute! And thank you for all these great tips on how to layer!

-Helen

• Reply Rena December 5, 2017 at 3:54 am

This is the perfect sweater for Christmas time and I love it how you have styled it!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Cynthia Fofana December 5, 2017 at 4:23 am

Such a cute, classy and well thought out outfit!

• Reply Peppermint Dolly December 5, 2017 at 4:27 am

What a stunning outfit, I love the combinations!!

Rebecca
      xx

• Reply Mireia December 5, 2017 at 7:05 am

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style December 5, 2017 at 7:10 am

Such a stunning look! X

• Reply Rachelle December 5, 2017 at 8:11 am

These pants are so pretty love the print.

xo
      Pinksole

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses December 5, 2017 at 9:51 am

I absolutely love your style Jean! Thanks for these great tips on layering!

Have a wonderful Tuesday!
      Michael

• Reply NAty December 5, 2017 at 11:42 am

love this look!
      xx

• Reply Kristie December 5, 2017 at 12:28 pm

This is the perfect way to layer!

• Reply Ankita Bardhan December 5, 2017 at 1:26 pm

The pearl details make the whole outfit so elegant and ready for holiday parties! Love the outfit 🙂
      xx
      Ankita

• Reply Petite Teacher December 5, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Dear Jean, stylish as always and in such a wonderful winter colour scheme as well. I more than love your jumper with the sweet pearl detail. The scarf is another beauty I love. As a teacher I wear many scarfs in winter to protect my voice and because it is a great way to style and restyle. Have a great week! Lieske

• Reply Mizeats December 5, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Love this layered look! Also, I’ve been needing a new beanie so this post comes at a perfect time. 😀

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia December 6, 2017 at 12:24 am

I am absolutely in love with the trends of embellished apparel this season! Love how classic your look is as well!

XOXO //
      SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Reply Isabelle December 6, 2017 at 8:28 am

Hi Jean! I love the sloan pants on you! I finally had time to go in-store and try them on. I couldn’t decide on which size to get. The 2P fits at the waist but is a little wide on my thighs. The 0P is fine at the thighs but too tight at the waist. The 0 regular is fine at the thighs but just a little bit too tight at the waist. Does the waist of the pants stretch? Or can a tailor narrows the thighs? Or if I decide to shrink them, does the waist shrink?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite December 8, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Hi Isabelle – ah, that’s a tough decision! When I shrunk my solid colored sloans in the wash, they shrunk all-around so yes, both the waist and thighs. They also do stretch out a bit with wear, so I occasionally put them back in the dryer after washing again (otherwise I’ll hang dry) if I need to shrink them back down to size. And lastly, a tailor should easily be able to slim down the thighs a bit but I probably wouldn’t do so until you’ve washed them once.

• Reply Alexa M Johnson December 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm

LOVE this look!

• Reply LD December 7, 2017 at 2:43 am

I know the black Sam Edelman boots you’re wearing with the faux leather Soprano ruffle skirt are an old pair, but would you remember the style name? Are those the Blake Booties in black? Thanks

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite December 8, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Yes they are the Blake booties! I love them and wish they were still available

• Reply Rachel (S[d]OC) December 7, 2017 at 11:04 am

I didn’t know BR made machine washable pants. I love these so much. My life has changed!

I’m always worried about looking too thick when I layer stuff under sweaters. If a shirt is big enough to go around my boobs, it’s going to not lie nice and flat beneath the sweater. Hard to find a good solution unless i wear one of those sweaters with the fake shirt hanging beneath it.

• Reply Maureen December 11, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Great tips for layering and mixing prints. I haven’t quite gotten on the pearl embellished goodies and I am not sure what the hold up is but this sweater of yours is beautiful. It’s beautiful because it’s different. I like that! 😀