• Burgundy Maxi // Holiday lace dress + faux fur scarf

what to wear to a winter black tie holiday party or wedding_petite fashion

ASTR lace midi dress xs (6 colors; torso runs small), Steve Madden heels sz 5.5 (runs narrow), TDE bag (last seen here), similar faux fur stole

I had ordered this dress for a recent event but it didn’t arrive in time, however it is a gorgeous, affordable candidate for formal holiday parties, winter weddings and also for NYE! I got it thinking I would cut off some of the lace (since it looks easily trim-able with scissors), but I surprisingly liked the length as-is. I think that because I am SO short (just shy of 5 feet, for reference), it actually hits me like a maxi dress instead of a “too-long midi,” which didn’t work for some reviewers.

I bought a yard of velvet ribbon from the fabric store and simply tied it to accentuate the waistline, and to slightly break up the all-over lace. The fabric has a cotton feel to it and you might have to trim off some loose threads, but it’s very fair for the <$90 price point, in my opinion. The bodice runs pretty small so an XS fits like a 00 without stretch, and the straps are adjustable – a feature that’s always appreciated by this shortie! Measurements of the XS when lying flat: 14″ across the armpits, 12″ across the waist, 41″ total length.
    affordable lace dress christmas holiday party outfitAs the holidays are quickly approaching, I’m partnering with Nordstrom to share a few gift recommendations, each under $100! Here are my picks for…

• Turning a bathroom into a spa: Philosophy’s holiday gift sets are so good! This hand wash & lotion set smells lovely and is a great value at $18 – it even comes in a silver caddy ready for gifting. This delicious fruity set can be used in (as shampoo, body wash, or bubble bath) and after the shower. This glowing all the way set has almost a full regimen of their popular products from cleanser to moisturizer to serum – a great way to try these products at a value. You can also get a free gift with purchase right now with any $45+ Philosophy purchase.
    • The sneaker lover: retro-chic Nike Classic Cortez sneakers with great reviews.
    • A last minute gift that feels personal: monogramed pieces by Cathy’s Concepts, including homegoods, travel bags, and lots(!) more.
    • A mini gift to self: La Mer mini miracles set. This is back from the anniversary sale – I promptly scooped another one up for Nick and his high-maintenance skin ; ) This is just their 0.5 oz signature cream but with two mini skin and eye creams (like a deluxe sample size) in a velvet pouch, at the typical price of just the cream. FYI the 0.5 oz cream is very small so don’t be surprised! There isn’t really a discount to buy a bigger volume of the signature cream, so these sets with the small bonuses have been great.
    • The guy who won’t sacrifice comfort for style: no need to give up either with Clarks mid chukka boots with orthopedic insoles.
    • The cat parent: a kitty heat change mug which looks even cuter when filled with a hot beverage!

[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2933723″]

black tie dress holiday party outfit for petite women
    steve madden sandals strappy nude heels
    holiday party long burgundy lace maxi midi dressThank you to Nordstrom for partnering on this post.

26 thoughts on “Burgundy Maxi // Holiday lace dress + faux fur scarf

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog November 30, 2017 at 1:05 am

The sizing of the dress is perfect! The style’s not for me, but if I ever needed a dress like this, I know where to find it. 🙂

• Reply Elizabeth November 30, 2017 at 2:07 am

This dress is sooo pretty and elegant! <3 🙂 Really love the lace details and the velvet sash that you added!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Ester November 30, 2017 at 3:24 am

Wow this red dress is insane! It reminds me of Self-Portrait style. Also, you look awesome in it!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite December 1, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Thank you! Yes it is very reminiscent of one of their popular styles!

• Reply Rena November 30, 2017 at 4:12 am

Your dress is absolultely wonderful!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style November 30, 2017 at 4:20 am

Such a lovely dress! You look stunning. X

• Reply Kisha Callwood November 30, 2017 at 9:32 am

Hi Jean. What a lovely pairing. I simply adore the addition of the belt, stole and the box purse. Thanks Jean. Good looking out on the gift ideas. I needed the help.

• Reply Sara November 30, 2017 at 10:36 am

This is dress is ALL OVER instagram. Every blogger has already worn it
      on insta…why is Nordstrom pushing this dress so much

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite December 1, 2017 at 12:12 pm

This post is sponsored by Nordstrom to feature holiday gift ideas … they never ask me to push any specific product, and I wouldn’t accept the project if they did! I’m not surprised if you’ve been seeing the dress a lot, because it’s a great value / self portrait dupe for a fraction of the price.

• Reply Meghan Burns November 30, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Love how the dress cuts off just above your ankles so that your shoes can be shown off. So cute!
      xo, Meghan | http://tanlinesanddaisies.com/

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia November 30, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Such a pretty Maxi dress! Love the little lace eyelet details. Pretty color for holiday parties too! Love your Mark Grace trunk bag too!

XOXO

• Reply Jessica November 30, 2017 at 3:44 pm

You look so lovely in this dress!

• Reply Jane December 1, 2017 at 2:53 am

So elegant. Thanks for the post. The bag is nice 🙂

• Reply Marjorie December 1, 2017 at 3:23 am

This dress is a dream. Love it!
      xx

• Reply chichi December 1, 2017 at 7:09 am

the dress is super stunning, the scarf looks great with it!

• Reply Maureen December 1, 2017 at 8:39 am

You look great Jean! The dress seems to be made for you – the color, the fit , the style – just perfect. I like how you added your own touch to the dress also with adding a black bow. Such a great outfit idea for any event really. Happy Friday!

• Reply Petite Teacher December 1, 2017 at 10:33 am

What a lovely, romantic dress. Because of the light material it will be a great one for many petites. The colour is so warm. It looks absolutely great on you (but what doesn’t really?!). Have a great weekend. Love, Lieske

• Reply Jandrew December 1, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Jean I love ❤️ this dress ! It really is lovely on you , checked it out and the price point is fabulous.
      Jandrew
      Dress The Part

• Reply Anonymous December 1, 2017 at 4:36 pm

The dress looks o.k., but I would not have purchased it. The added swash tied at the back gave it a modern look. Personally, I would prefer the lining extended to the hemline to give it a more sophisticated look.

• Reply Alexandra December 2, 2017 at 11:44 am

Stunner! This outfit is so gorgeous. I especially love that scarf!

xx, Alexandra

• Reply Linda December 2, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Love it. Just ordered one in coral. Thanks for posting this because I’ve been searching for lace dresses.

• Reply Mizeats December 2, 2017 at 2:28 pm

So lovely, Jean! The accessories and velvet ribbon work so perfectly with the dress. I love everything about this look. And your hair looks amazing as well! 😍

• Reply getintopc December 3, 2017 at 9:37 am

look at that color combination, just amazing, i think i would try with a little feminime color with some of them, btw amazing work, keep it up.
      big love xoxo
      Catherine

• Reply Mireia December 3, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Reply Diva Dealzz December 4, 2017 at 3:37 am

Your selection of lace dress always adores me. I like the print and color of the dress.

• Reply minau2210 December 4, 2017 at 7:36 pm