His & Hers Fall Style // Warm Layers + Waterproof Boots

his and hers couple outfits hiking family photos

The fall colors have been spotty in Boston this year, so Nick and I ventured a little outside of the city to try to catch some peak foliage! We were a little more matchy-matchy with mother nature than we expected, making for some accidental camouflage along the trails!
The onset of winter (yeech, I’m not ready just yet!) brings the need for layers upon layers, and of course, weather-appropriate boots. Sperry is a brand both Nick and I have been wearing for years, and I’m partnering with them here to share a few styles from their current collection. Their signature Saltwater “duck boot” is a practical favorite here in New England for wet, muddy, and light snow conditions. The addition of a low wedge in their new Saltwater Wedge (with over a dozen color / material options) still feel comfy like flats, but with just a little extra height! The pair I chose have warm, insulated wool uppers and their usual waterproof rubber bottoms. I also adore the look of this quilted gray with navy pair – I have the same design from last year (with no wedge) and love them so much! Fit for me is true to size with room to fit thick socks.
new england fall his and hers outfits_couples fashion If you’re shopping for the men in your lives, the Cutwater boot is their new mens style that Nick describes as a “rugged Chukka boot.” It has a waterproof outer, which Nick immediately put to the test by seeking out the closest patch of mud. Because if you give a boy of any age waterproof shoes, he’s going to jump in puddles.
sperry cutwater mens saltwater womens wedge winter boots

fall outdoors engagement couple photos his and hers outfitsThank you to Sperry for partnering on this post.

42 thoughts on “His & Hers Fall Style // Warm Layers + Waterproof Boots

• Reply Mimi November 10, 2017 at 12:08 am

I love your outfit and Nick’s outfit as well. So stylish yet very functional and comfortable. I always have trouble walking in heels and even high wedges, so I often opt for flats and low wedge boots. Btw, guys look great in these pictures. I love taking photos during the fall. My favorite season of the year.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Thank you so much, Mimi! I agree wedges are a happy medium way to go!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog November 10, 2017 at 12:28 am

You guys have got to be the most photogenic couple ever. Goals for sure, and love your outfits! ❤❤

• Reply Sincerely Ophelia November 10, 2017 at 1:10 am

Those boots look perfect for the cold Fall weather and for rain and snow! Love !

• Reply Elizabeth November 10, 2017 at 2:40 am

These boots are gorgeous <3 🙂 Loving all of these gorgeous photos!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Marjorie November 10, 2017 at 3:15 am

These boots are stunning and they look really comfy and warm!
    xx

• Reply Petite Teacher November 10, 2017 at 3:20 am

Beautiful colours, both in your outfits as in mother nature. Love, Lieske

• Reply Rena November 10, 2017 at 4:01 am

In love with your super cute fall styles!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Diana November 10, 2017 at 4:50 am

Hi Jean! Any recommendations for socks to wear with boots like these? I always seem to have trouble finding the right pair for comfort & warmth without overheating. Thanks!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Hi Diana – I think I’m just wearing socks from J.Crew in this post, but I also like Stance brand (they are more compression style socks though).

• Reply Diana November 14, 2017 at 3:25 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate all your tips!

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses November 10, 2017 at 4:51 am

These photos are lovely, Jean! I love the colours – and both your boots are awesome! I desperately need to pick myself up a pair!

I hope you have a great Friday!
    Michael

• Reply Ray November 10, 2017 at 9:02 am

You both look so good.

• Reply A November 10, 2017 at 10:16 am

Beautiful fall photos — love these photos of you both!
    wonderful and useful post on the hiking/all weather shoes too.
    God bless — sending hugs to you from Texas!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Thank you, A! xx

• Reply Phoebe November 10, 2017 at 11:26 am

Beautiful pictures! You look gorgeous as always and I love how your hair colour matches the foliage. Sending lots of positive energy your way!

• Reply Patricia November 10, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Jean, I just found myself a pair of the Sperry Luca Peak Weatherproof wedge from last year. They’ve discontinued them, and only have what’s left. Very first pair of Sperry’s. Looking forward to wearing them and staying warm here in Boston Seaport 🙂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Great find! I have them too and wore them all through winter! Can’t wait to break them out again soon.

• Reply Meghan Burns November 10, 2017 at 12:52 pm

This is such a cute post. I love duck boots. They are my fave to wear around this time of the year. Super comfy.
    xo, Meghan | http://tanlinesanddaisies.com/

• Reply AA November 10, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I love your fall posts! They are so happy and I am rooting for you with your journey through IVF stay positive and good things will come!

Could you share some of your favorite everyday handbags? I am working and also in graduate school and I tend to carry quite a bit some days and others just the necessities, but I like having a bag that can go from day to night and I love your totes! Would love to hear what you would recommend! I looked into a madewell backpack, not sure thats my style.

Thinking of you!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Thank you for the positive thoughts! <3

I think my Goyard totes (with organizer inserts added) are some of my most used totes, but they are not for everyone. I've been carrying my Tory Burch small parker tote more because it's water resistant and is mostly covered. What do you think about Cuyana bags? They make some that are pretty classic and can go from casual to a little dressy.

• Reply aa November 14, 2017 at 12:56 am

Thank you so much for responding! I actually own a goyard tote, I love it, but I find it is not great for everyday use or at least where I would need to put my laptop in it if that makes sense? I even looked at the prada tote, but it also isnt that functional and I find it is a bit too open. Do you own any cuyana bags that you would recommend? They actually have a backpack hybrid, but I saw some pictures of it looking a bit sloppy as well…
        Really appreciate the feedback and hoping you are feeling well and happy!

• Reply Alexa Johnson November 10, 2017 at 9:44 pm

LOVEE these! Great post, Jean! I wanna buy some now !

• Reply E November 10, 2017 at 11:05 pm

You both look great! Can you tell us where you got your socks? I am having trouble finding the right socks to peek out of my duck boots. Thanks!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Hi there! I think these are just J.Crew socks – in fact they might even be mens borrowed from my husband haha. The regular store and the J.Crew Factory store usually have some good options!

• Reply Julia November 11, 2017 at 12:57 am

I used to wear Sperry’s boat shoes a lot because I can wear them so comfortably without socks! Are these boots you featured light weight? Seattle’s raining season already hit us and I feel that I really need a pair of these too!

Julia || Closet de Jules

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:32 pm

They are not heavy, but the regular non-wedge saltwater ones are the lightest! : )

• Reply Mizeats November 11, 2017 at 1:17 am

Gorgeous pics! Love your outfits! Sperry boots are indeed wonderful for this time of year!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Thank you!!

• Reply The pink pineapple November 11, 2017 at 1:29 pm

I love looks, are so beautiful couple

• Reply Jandrew November 11, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Great post ! The fall foliage is beautiful ! Part of enjoying a hike is good footwear !
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part

• Reply Em November 11, 2017 at 11:30 pm

The sweater’s color is gorgeous! Thanks, Jean, for sharing 🙂 Also — I’m not ready for winter yet, either! It’s below 30 degrees already here (at night) and I am definitely not prepared

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Winter crept up way too soon this year!

• Reply Val November 12, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Really sweet shots of you two. Thanks for the share. I’m going to buy the Billabong Flannel shirt for my boyfriend for his birthday. It gets really cold here in Boise. I’ve purchased several items from your recommendations. Thank you for all that you do.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Hi Val – always love hearing from you. That will be a sweet gift for your boyfriend and perfect for layering in Boise!!

• Reply DEA November 12, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Are they good for hiking? I can’t tell from the pics whether you were outdoors hiking or just taking photos.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Hi Dea – they have traction and are waterproof, but for serious hikers I do not think these would qualify as hiking boots. We were just leisurely strolling the trails taking in the scenery – no more than a mile so can’t attest to more .

• Reply Phuong November 13, 2017 at 12:37 am

Jean, this is such a gorgeous post! The rich autumn colors from nature and both of your outfits are perfect. I purchased the Sperry wedge boots you recommended last year and I love them so much 🙂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Ah that must be the luca peak bootie … so glad you love them too! xx

• Reply Holly November 13, 2017 at 2:21 pm

What size Hermès belt do you have?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 13, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Width-wise, its the smaller size and is under an inch. Length-wise, I got mine cut down to size and refinished by the Hermes store (they no longer do this unfortunately) so it doesn’t have a size, but if I were to buy one now the ideal size would be 70 or 75 depending on if you want to wear it at your high waist or by the hips.

• Reply Beatriz November 14, 2017 at 6:55 am

Love the boots!! And the pictures!!! You both look lovely!!
    Kisses